Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

"Handbrake" Updated Video Encode settings 2016

DjSyndic8 9:27 AM - 17 June, 2016
Has any one created a new updated 2016 version of Handbrake ( .plist file )

the old .plist file on the Serato website is not compatible with the new version of Handbrake

much appreciated thanks.
DJ Sound Technique 3:29 PM - 17 July, 2016
I'm looking for the same thing. Also the old settings were pretty low bit rate too
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:52 AM - 28 July, 2016
I still use the old one, but changed the bitrate to 5000. Think the old one was on 2000.

The other stuff I don't understand is that it crops the videos black bars.

I don't know if this is ideal.

Some original videos come at 1080p but with bars, using Seratos handbrake settings it chops the black bars ending up with a video that is isn't 1080p again.
popnwave 8:57 PM - 28 July, 2016
Quote:
I still use the old one, but changed the bitrate to 5000. Think the old one was on 2000.

The other stuff I don't understand is that it crops the videos black bars.

I don't know if this is ideal.

Some original videos come at 1080p but with bars, using Seratos handbrake settings it chops the black bars ending up with a video that is isn't 1080p again.

Cropping can get confusing. Some directors actually WANT letterboxing (see Jay-Z's Big Pimpin' and its white letterboxing), but I do think getting rid of them makes for a more consistent mix set. Or for a real mindscrew look at how David Bowie's "Lazarus" was done recently. Smashvidz did it as good as you can with just a square release, but Promo Only left the thing full widescreen which looks funky as hell back to back with 99% of modern videos.

Will I go back and remove old 80s videos with some, nope.. If I have to redo audio or something I will take care to. 90s/00s with them you have to crop them out and then make sure the left over video is blown up to the desired 640x360 (going to apply to most dvd sources) or 960x540 and up if your source is good enough.
DJ Baby Boy 4:18 AM - 29 July, 2016
Here are the HB Presets that I use and I run absolutely every video that has black bars through HB because I absolutely loathe having inconsistencies with videos not being the same size (going back and forth from full screen to letterbox) so I crop out all black bars and use the built in border fill in ME to correct it so all of my videos appear to be the same size (fullscreen) ... I have even gone to the point that I have been going back into my collection and removing the black bars from older videos and replacing or making my own edits when necessary www.dropbox.com
Marv Incredible 1:21 PM - 1 August, 2016
Thanks Baby Boy
PopRoXxX 8:06 PM - 1 August, 2016
Good looking out Baby Boy
Alex le Gounz 6:19 PM - 21 August, 2016
Hello everyone
download the preset (hd 5000) and when I import it tells me is an old version of HandBrake
the version I have is the 10.5.0
What version do you recommend?
He had recommended the preset serato, but it's an old preset
cheers !!
Dobby 9:24 PM - 21 September, 2016
As far as video bitrates go, here are two resources if you do not want unnecessarily inflated file sizes

VideoSpec analyses your original file's A/V specs (still available but no longer being developed)
videospec.free.fr

and this article: Understanding bitrates.

you do not need to run 5000k on a file that was originally only 512k (like some 70s & 80s vids) or 1200/2000 like older HD vids.

also the required minimum bitrate depends on the resolution, and the article provides a nice chart for gauging appropriate bitrates - i use this guide all the time
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:57 AM - 5 May, 2017
I'm trying to make some presets in Handbrake and it keeps defaulting the audio to 64kbps even when I select 320 before saving the preset .

so before making any video I have to change the audio back to 320.

I will like for the audio to remain 320 in the saved preset

Any suggestions?

Its handbrake 1.0.7
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:44 AM - 5 May, 2017
Solution found

It was a bug in the 1.0.7 so i downloaded a nightly build from handbrake site, now the presets work as it should.

handbrake.fr
skinnyguy 6:36 PM - 8 May, 2017
if you downloaded handbrake recently, check which mirror you got it from.

appleinsider.com