Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

VCI380 DVS Extension?

mfshva7 11:29 AM - 8 June, 2016
Hi Serato,

i have buyed a Vestax VCI380 yesterday , my Problem is DVS Mode with Serato Vinyls is working like a charm with Pioneers Rekordbox Software but in Serato i cant buy the DVS Extension, is this a bug?
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:43 PM - 8 June, 2016
Nope, if you turn the EQs up and down it will affect the Timecode signal, So will the filter aswel. Vestax was going to fix that in a Firmware update but went bust. So no firmware means no support from Serato.
mfshva7 12:46 PM - 8 June, 2016
hmm , why there are no Problems with Rekordbox DVS Mode , i have played around today and it works like a Charm?
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:54 PM - 8 June, 2016
Have you turned the eq down I can't see the timecode being mich good with frequencies removed or a filter added. If you have all the EQs in center and don't use filter yes the dvs timecode would work fine.
mfshva7 1:04 PM - 8 June, 2016
Ok i will try at Evening again with EQ´s
Cham 2:26 PM - 8 June, 2016
Tell us about the sound quality as well.
Cham 2:15 PM - 10 June, 2016
Did it work with the eq?
mfshva7 7:17 PM - 10 June, 2016
Yes it works , The Timecodequality is affected but in relative Mode it reacts good enough for me
Cham 8:58 PM - 10 June, 2016
Thanks. Time to download the demo of RB.
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:08 PM - 10 June, 2016
Hey mfshva7, great video on YouTube?

So if you turn all 3 of your EQs + trim down to 0, is the signal strong enough that your vinyl successfully manipulates the track? Obviously you won't hear the audio, but does it appear to move the track visually?

Would love to see a video if possible!

If that problem is resolved, then we would love to try and offer DVS support.
mfshva7 9:27 AM - 12 June, 2016
Will try tommorow
Serato, Support
Martin C 9:53 AM - 12 June, 2016
Thanks very much!
mfshva7 10:11 AM - 12 June, 2016
have tested now , i holding the iPhone wrong so it´s portrait mode but i think you can see what ´s important

Watchwww.youtube.com

The MID EQ is the Problem he complete kill the Sound not only the Timecode Signal the complete Sound,
Hi and LOW EQ are no Problem you can complete turn down them the Track will react on Timecode with no Problem but when you kill the MID´s then there is no signal anymore, interesting Serato make it possible to disable the MID Eq on Vestax and we can have DVS ;-)

no in Reality i think its hardware cabled and you can't disable , so when we want DVS we need also to go Rekordbox and don't use the MID EQ sadly ;-(
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:49 AM - 12 June, 2016
Did you try the filter aswel?
mfshva7 12:14 PM - 12 June, 2016
Filter ? I dont know the Vestax has a Filter in PC Mode? Which Knob?
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:38 PM - 12 June, 2016
Quote:
Filter ? I dont know the Vestax has a Filter in PC Mode? Which Knob?

Oh not had mine for awhile but i thought it did in mixer mode and i thought when using dvs it affected the signal (maybe i got this wrong but just turn the fx nob while looking at the timecode signal and see what if anything it does)
mfshva7 2:21 PM - 12 June, 2016
In Mixer Mode DVS is not working
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:58 PM - 12 June, 2016
Quote:
In Mixer Mode DVS is not working

Obviously, but the controlls when in pc mode still work amd affect the incoming signal just turn the damn knobs already amd check haha.
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:33 AM - 13 June, 2016
Hey mfshva7,

Thanks a lot for providing the video, it does what I thought it would. I guess the control signal used sits in the mid frequency band, so that is the main one that effects the signal.

My guess to LJ_WOOLSEYS question would be that the filter will have some effect also.

At the risk of sounding a bit out of the loop here, how did you get the VCI-380 to work with Rekordbox? I wasn't aware it was supported.

Is there some tutorial somewhere showing how to get Rekordbox working with the audio + MIDI for any hardware?

Cheers!
mfshva7 7:06 AM - 13 June, 2016
hmm , there is nothing you have to do, Rekordbox is supporting any Hardware with Phono or Line Inputs for DVS , also you can map any Controller in Midi Panel , all you have to do is connecting your VCI380 and let´s go it works also with Native Instruments Z2 Mixer (perfect DVS support!) or any other Hardware also the Rane Boxes, the Timecode is the same as used by Serato

Pioneers concept is more like Traktor than Serato in Business they sell Hardware with Rekordbox Licences but they also support any Hardware and you can buy the Software for 12Euro per Month as subscription , there is no Hardware Dongle for Rekordbox
Serato, Support
Martin C 7:27 AM - 13 June, 2016
Hi mfshva7,

Cheers for the reply - I really am out of the loop. I didn't know it was possible to get any hardware working with Rekordbox yet, I thought it was something in the pipeline for them. Thats pretty cool though!

So based on what you've told me, I'm pretty confident that Serato could deliver the DVS expansion capability for the VCI-380, to the same standard as Rekordbox, but we'd be cautious about that selling/advertising that as a feature, mainly because:

1) It doesn't work perfectly on mac, e.g mid EQ and filter cannot be used
2) It is currently not possible on Windows (with the VCI-380s latest drivers)

It is pretty sweet to be able to play around with if you had already purchased DVS for other hardware in Rekordbox, but if you were a Serato/Rekordbox customer that bought it for the VCI-380 specifically, I'd imagine you wouldn't be too happy.

The Rekordbox "open hardware" support ethos is a bit different to us, we'd only announce/deliver support for the VCI-380 if it worked fully. I hope that makes sense.
mfshva7 8:19 AM - 13 June, 2016
yes i understand , and the VCI380 is also not a "new" System" so i dont except Support from Serato but it doesn´t hurt to ask

In Germany recordcase Shop is selling the complete Vestax Backstock VCi380´s for 300Euro at this Time (have sold around 50 Units when i believe Ebay) much people now buying one at this Time because for this Money there are not much alternatives for Serato DJ´s want a very transportable HighQuality Controller

Rekordbox DVS is included like all other Extension Packs in the Subscription , i have signed for testing only because for payed Gig´s i use VCI380 and Serato at this Time , when Rekordbox will release Video-Extension i think Serato will feel the Impact

At this Time is very hard to find a compact alternative Rekordbox (Pioneer) has the DDJ RR as Vestax Alternative , this thing is running perfect with DVS and can the same and more as the VCI380 but there is no equal Product in Serato Lineup :-(
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:48 AM - 13 June, 2016
Yep i been having to use Rekordbox DJ to use NEXUS2 Setup. Costs £8.50 a month and you get the DVS pack included in that price. Rekordbox DJ Works with ANY CoreAudio device the only hardware that has issues with Rekordbox DJ is Ranes! Poor old Rane really need better people to build there drivers! Only the TTM57mkll, MP2014 and MP2015 work fine with Rekordbox DJ.
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:33 AM - 15 June, 2016
Hey mfshva7,

Quote:
At this Time is very hard to find a compact alternative Rekordbox (Pioneer) has the DDJ RR as Vestax Alternative , this thing is running perfect with DVS and can the same and more as the VCI380 but there is no equal Product in Serato Lineup :-(

I totally know what you mean man! Its unfortunate, but thats why the VCI-380 is a personal my favourite of mine. I will be passing your feedback on and doing my best to convince hardware partners we work with to fill this gap though!

I have one other question for you. What firmware are you running? I think you can find out by using one of the firmware updaters here:

www.facebook.com
mfshva7 11:28 AM - 15 June, 2016
will use the tool when i have time i think it´s the latest because the last bunch of 380´s they sell at recordbox where the last produced for Europe
mfshva7 11:28 AM - 15 June, 2016
recordcase.de i mean sorry not recordbox