Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

No more laptops in the DJ Booth?

Dave The One 1:56 PM - 4 June, 2016
A lot of DJs and clubs seem to be going this route,

www.magneticmag.com

This must be an awkward position for Serato. Pioneer has changed the game.

I just experienced the unbelievable between Serato and Rane. After spending approx 3100.00 on the Rane mp 2015 and the serato DJ club kit, in use I found out the hard way that serato DJ isn't fully enabled and this was confirmed by serato after I was told by Rane that serato needed to enable the feature. Serato responded to me personally by saying that it would require tremendous work on their part and that the chances of doing so for the 2015 are slim and then directed me to these forums to request the feature as it was decided to not be fully serato DJ enabled for the mp 2015; no mention of this in seratos video of Rane 2015/serato DJ.
No mention of it anywhere on Ranes website neither. Nor on any review video or website.

There are no post fader effects. SMH

When things like this happen, the DJ/club venue suffers the consequences and have to make decisions.

I'm not sure I like the DJ/club venues stance on it. No one should be able to dictate what one uses to DJ with. I understand the decision because they do allow for use of a laptop in some situations.
DjSyndic8 1:14 AM - 5 June, 2016
another case of club owners trying to dictate what a DJ should and shouldn't do, leave the DJ's alone to do what they do best, do managers see us telling them how to do their Job! over 20+ years in the club scene and I see this way too often,
Niro 6:37 AM - 5 June, 2016
If this is the same article that's been floating around, then I'm gonna have to go on the side of the venue. What i took away from reading the article was them getting sick of DJs coming in probably plugging, unplugging, setting controllers, laptops on current gear....etc. it also said that if the performer was using the laptop to actual perform with, then it's all good.

It's not too different than playing in a venue that has a house mixer screwed into the booth....etc. I've seen too many DJs coming with their gear and disrepectfully use the house gear as laptop and controller stands and prettu much do absolutley nothing performance wise.

And in all honesty, it's their club, their rules and no one is making anyone play there. If their rules are bad, then economics will do what it does and the place won't last.
Niro 6:43 AM - 5 June, 2016
The MP2015 thing, that's a limitation to software and hardware combo. No mixer will or software will ever be exactly what you want, unless you're the one designing and writing code for it. This is why people use dicers, external effects, SP1's....etc. not sure companies are going to advetise what their product can't do. Pioneer didn't advertise or it wasn't on any videos that the S9 was able to be midi mapped to load on individual sided...etc. sorry to hear about your situation hopefully you can find a mixer that works for you.
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:10 AM - 6 June, 2016
If I was using a mixer like the MP2015 or so, I wouldn't even touch software. Lol.

I will probably start collecting vinyl again. Worst case scenario I will play from CDJs.

Anyways to the No Laptop suggestions with that dude.

His club, His rules.

There are so many like that

No Hip Hop
No Rap
No Mixing
No EDM
No Remixing
Vinyl only
Hip Hop only
etc

If you can't work with it, just decline the gig. People shouldn't get hot headed because of things like this.

No one is gonna change my play style or chosen medium.

Hell even Rekordbox has a full performance mode with laptops now.

The guy should be questioning his promoter or who ever books the DJs, as to why they will book a Dj that doesn't know how to disconnect and plug in their controllers without causing trouble.
pdidy 6:55 AM - 7 June, 2016
Who spends $3100 on a mixer but neglects to research its capabilities ?

In regards to the no laptop club it's simple.
"YOUR CLUB, your rules"
DJ Reverend Rob 9:50 PM - 7 June, 2016
I read a version of the article, and, if I read right, this is more of a reaction to DJs that don't know their way around pro audio. I got my start as a mobile (back in the 80s, when CDs had just started moving into the DJ market and Discmen were the only portable players around), and made a point to learn the basics of front-of-house PA applications. Even now, I make it a point to come early to familiarize myself with a venue and its equipment (or lack thereof) and bring any cables, adapters, or even tables I may need. It always irks me when I see a jock walk into a place with only a few minutes to spare and scramble to set up. This is the kind of behavior this owner is mad about. Unfortunately, those of us who are responsible and prepare are getting pinched by these bad apples.
pdidy 10:07 PM - 7 June, 2016
And to respected djs who put in work beyond your basic (mix track A with track B an repeat) are welcome to bring laptops or anything they want.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:09 AM - 8 June, 2016
Don't blame them the new jocks. It's about exposure to the technical side of things which I think is quite limited due to the way technology has advanced.

Everything is now all in one, from speakers to controllers, hell even recording a mix is easy within the software.

I remember when I used to have a tape recorder with the Needle level meter, you gotta set that right and hope you don't mess up a transition.

I have managed a small festival before and the promoter brought in a female dj who has no clue on how to use any of the gear placed in front, we had a pair of CDJs, Turntables, and a pioneer controller all connected.

Least she knew her music. She came with a list of songs she intended to play, at that point other djs started complaining about the fact that she isn't a real dj and she definitely knew that.

I just reassured her that she will do just fine with playing her tracks iPod style. Gave her a crash course on the CDJs I'm talking literally before her set. She started playing and to be honest the crowd danced more to her tunes than any of the other djs lol.

So after the event I offered her to tutor her because I think she already has the fundamental, which is knowing her music, but she declined saying she doesn't think djing is for her as she has never experienced such attitude from people before.

I still see her around and I always ask her if she changed her mind.
Marv Incredible 9:43 AM - 8 June, 2016
Quote:

You tryina hit it fam?
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:07 PM - 8 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

You tryina hit it fam?

Ha ha. No lol.

Looking at it from a potential employee angle.

Good female djs command a good fee around here. 😉
Marv Incredible 12:53 PM - 8 June, 2016
^ Real (Business) Talk.
Niro 6:26 PM - 8 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You tryina hit it fam?

Ha ha. No lol.

Code: for dipping in company ink. 😉
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:30 PM - 8 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You tryina hit it fam?

Ha ha. No lol.

Code: for dipping in company ink. 😉

Ha ha. No dipping planned. Wouldn't wanna be mixing business with pleasure.
Mr. Goodkat 6:33 PM - 8 June, 2016
this guy is all house (producer and dj kenny summit) and books generally old school guys, i think he just did this to stir some interest in his club.

he didnt open a mainstream club and thats generally where there becomes issues with new djs or djs that mess up.
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:33 PM - 8 June, 2016
Quote:
this guy is all house (producer and dj kenny summit) and books generally old school guys, i think he just did this to stir some interest in his club.

he didnt open a mainstream club and thats generally where there becomes issues with new djs or djs that mess up.

Kinda remind of the range Rover cheat viral videos.

It's all marketing and he did a great job at even scoring interviews. Gotta give it to the guy.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 10:36 PM - 9 June, 2016
Quote:

There's a follow up to the original article where he went into detail that it was really aimed at the opening DJs that promoters would book and they would come in with their controllers and mess with the equipment that was already there. So in a way it is aimed at the rookies.
www.magneticmag.com
dj lashes 2:14 AM - 10 June, 2016
i started djing around 1995/6 using records even when the CDs took off i stayed with the good old wax.. until about 2010/11 when i got my 1st VCI so thats a jump from records to controller, now with what i gained by starting on records and putting that skill on top of the technology from a controller my performance i like usain bolt on drugs .... i think banning the laptop / controller is not the way to have good DJs ive seen 100s of record, CD, SL, Ipod, Ipad, VDJ, Serato DJs and all other ways of playing where the so called dj has no clue...
A good dj is just a good dj and bad dj is bad dj the gear you use is whatever.. i took a gig in Germany and had my record boxes sent to spain i still went to the club the night and searched the club PC for about 50/75 tracks and smashed that night with windows media player just played good music and got the people involved...
DjSyndic8 5:28 AM - 10 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

There's a follow up to the original article where he went into detail that it was really aimed at the opening DJs that promoters would book and they would come in with their controllers and mess with the equipment that was already there. So in a way it is aimed at the rookies.
www.magneticmag.com

yer thats right also there would be a quite break in between when the djs are swapping over because they have no clue how to hook up there controllers to the mixer, thats the main reason why this article exist its the disruption to the flow of the club
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:19 AM - 10 June, 2016
How come there is silence or dead air when the DJs are changing over.

It's a house music venue I'm gonna guess they have at least a 4 channel mixer. Any controller will most likely RCA into only one channel on that mixer leaving Three Channels free for seamless changeover.

Something just doesn't seem right if even the opening/beginner DJs can't deal with that.
Ragman 12:00 PM - 10 June, 2016
Quote:

It's a house music venue I'm gonna guess they have at least a 4 channel mixer. Any controller will most likely RCA into only one channel on that mixer leaving Three Channels free for seamless changeover.

Something just doesn't seem right if even the opening/beginner DJs can't deal with that.

Agreed. We're missing something here becasue what we're being fed sounds like bs. As the manager of the club he has final say about what DJ comes in and having certain rules to vet out all DJs. And those rules should also stipulate built-in time to prep before the gig. Sounds more like an inept manager directing blame from himself.
DjSyndic8 4:03 PM - 10 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed. We're missing something here becasue what we're being fed sounds like bs. As the manager of the club he has final say about what DJ comes in and having certain rules to vet out all DJs. And those rules should also stipulate built-in time to prep before the gig. Sounds more like an inept manager directing blame from himself.

Im guessing the first dj comes in and unplugs the XLR cables from the house mixer and plugs it direct into his mixer controller so when the next dj comes they have to switch and there is dead air because he has to unplug the XLR, the club owners is just venting his anger at new and young djs that have no or lack of experience on how the house mixer works, which I think is a fair call, dead air is a DJ's worst nightmare
Niro 4:51 AM - 11 June, 2016
I remembering some not so new DJ's, probably not use to how audio equipment works was trying to plug in his controller thru rca's. Only problem was the RCA's were already plugged into the host mixer and live. Cracks pops...etc. sound guy was getting a drink at the bar located between the dj booth and sound booth, he was litterally shitting his pants trying to decide which way to run.
DjSyndic8 4:53 AM - 11 June, 2016
Quote:
I remembering some not so new DJ's, probably not use to how audio equipment works was trying to plug in his controller thru rca's. Only problem was the RCA's were already plugged into the host mixer and live. Cracks pops...etc. sound guy was getting a drink at the bar located between the dj booth and sound booth, he was litterally shitting his pants trying to decide which way to run.

lol
Dave The One 3:37 AM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:
Who spends $3100 on a mixer but neglects to research its capabilities ?

In regards to the no laptop club it's simple.
"YOUR CLUB, your rules"

I spent 3100 on the mixer; after all was said and done; 2250 and I still sent the mother---kin- piece of garbage back. I knew something was up when speaking to both Rane and Serato in regards to the issues I was having and the finger pointing back and forth.

Anyway that sucker went back; all said and done I now have 2 cdj 2000 nxs2's and a djm 900nxs2, all for 1869 a piece. I'm in f---king heaven and can't sell the ns7 III for the life of me. I don't use a laptop other than managing my library and analyzing my tracks with Rekordbox. Plugged in the DDJ SP1 to one of the CDJ's, the CUE and Loop sections work perfectly without a laptop. Pioneer is on fire; the new DJ Controller with Video is bonkers (sound quality of the nxs2 package and built in effects along with touchscreen for library, efx, video manipulation) Can also plug in my Ipad to the djm 900nxs2's efx send/return and use the rmx 1000 app and many others for effects, sampling etc...

Where are we now; Rane was sold to Inmusic. I'm glad I unloaded that piece of garbage of a mixer (rane mp2015) and I'm glad to have been freed from my laptop.

Pioneer stepped up their game without needing Serato. The onboard FX on the mixer are phenomenal as well as the rmx 1000 app.

My ns7 III is collecting dust since purchasing the pioneer gear, I have no desire to use Serato with it. NS7 III for sale with a copy of an unregistered license for Serato Video.

Peace