Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Anyone ever bought a refurbished DDJ SX(2)?

akaTRAP 4:50 AM - 26 May, 2016
I'm thinking about what Serato controller I want to purchase, and I narrowed it down to a few choices.

Pioneer DDJ SR - it's the cheapest and most portable of the three, but it being USB-powered leads me to believe it won't sound as great as the others. It also can't drive my headphones (Ultrasone DJ1) without me turning the volume knob to 2 o'clock

Numark NV - cheapest four-deck controller that I'm personally interested in, but Numark faders are too loose for my liking, the jog wheels are a little too loose and too small, and those pads are too small. I played with it before and constantly hit the wrong cue point.

DDJ SX2 - By far the most expensive of the three, but has illuminated jog wheels, something I'm in favor for since I want to learn how to scratch.

There are a few refurbished DDJ SX units on eBay at pretty good prices, but I'm not too excited about manufacturer refurbished products. I had a Numark 4Trak that, while it got the job done, didn't give me the upmost confidence that it wouldn't magically crap out on me. Has anyone purchased a manufacturer refurbished SX(2)? I'd love to hear your input.

Also, feel free to comment on which of the three controllers I named you favor and why. Also, if you're going to suggest something else, note that my budget absolutely cannot exceed US$1,000.
akaTRAP 4:54 AM - 26 May, 2016
Lemme add to this, just found a refurb NV for $500, which makes it more attractive despite my points listed above.
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:00 AM - 26 May, 2016
Ya the new DDJ-RR looks good! Would been the perfext SRmkii but it's not supported in Serato. So i just got the SX2 today but that was new so can't comment on refurb ones, what sort of warrenty you get with the referbs?
akaTRAP 8:04 AM - 26 May, 2016
It's three months. I'm gonna be honest, that's trash. My refurbished 4Trak had a year warranty on it and even though I had an issue right after it expired they still honored it and only made me pay the shipping costs.
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:07 AM - 26 May, 2016
Do you have anyone that can get you a discount or close to trade deal on a sx2? That probably be your best bet. SRs are ok but like you say the sound ain't great and only usb power. Be interesting to see if Pioneer will release a mkii or the SR. Maybe just waiting to sell loads of Rekordbox RRs first? Or they just not going to make any Serato controllers anymore...
Mr Wilks 11:46 PM - 26 May, 2016
My flatmate has the NV and i noticed the headphone output volume is ridiculously loud.

I suppose it's all about the preference really. I loved my SX but if it's a little too expensive then the NV is a smaller, yet capable alternative.
akaTRAP 12:30 AM - 27 May, 2016
Quote:
Do you have anyone that can get you a discount or close to trade deal on a sx2? That probably be your best bet. SRs are ok but like you say the sound ain't great and only usb power. Be interesting to see if Pioneer will release a mkii or the SR. Maybe just waiting to sell loads of Rekordbox RRs first? Or they just not going to make any Serato controllers anymore...

I have a few DJ friends that might know someone, but I'm not making any moves until I have the cash on deck. Just wanted some opinions before I set my eyes firmly on one hardware over another.

Quote:
My flatmate has the NV and i noticed the headphone output volume is ridiculously loud.

I suppose it's all about the preference really. I loved my SX but if it's a little too expensive then the NV is a smaller, yet capable alternative.

I noticed that as well with my 4Trak, and my friend's NS6 and NS7II. That damn thing is so loud, but he always turns it up to 12 o'clock. Clearly he's deaf.