DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

i need it tighter

Felix Alfaro 5:38 AM - 25 May, 2016
DJs,

im new to DVS, timecode vinyl set up. i started & really only familiar to my NS7 2.so... its time to move up. im using stanton 150,using NS7 2 as mixer (for the mean time), groovemaster .v3 cartridge (came with stanton 150), macbook pro ( os x yosemite 10.10.5) serato dj software.

ive done all the calibration (as far as my knowledge goes): checked the tone arm balance, checked the calibration deck (everything is good, the ring diagram is on full circle, signal is 100 %). everything is good, sounds good if just playing thru or doing simple mix, but when doing something fast movements such as scratching, its sluggish,its not tight, not responsive enough to say the least. keep it mind everything run perfect when im only mixing/ scratching on my NS7 2.

i came to conclusion that i might need a different cartridge. the cartridge that came with the stanton is good for mild mixing, audiophile application, but not for complex mixing/ scratching. am i on to something here? can someone shoot me a suggestion on how to make my turntable be more responsive while scratching on serato dj . my fellow DJs, help!!

thank you.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:43 PM - 25 May, 2016
What's your buffer set at?
Gio Alex 3:34 PM - 25 May, 2016
"i need it tighter"
skinnyguy 5:08 PM - 25 May, 2016
That's what she said.

Or he?
Felix Alfaro 8:36 AM - 26 May, 2016
Quote:

DJ-M-Bezzle

how do u adjust buffer size on mac?
Felix Alfaro 8:57 AM - 26 May, 2016
Quote:

DJ-M. Bezzle

are you referring to the USB Buffer Size setting? it was on 5ms. i just now lowered it down to 1. but should i be concern that it might put too much strain to my laptop ( macbook pro 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 2.5 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5)?
Gio Alex 3:30 PM - 26 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

DJ-M. Bezzle

are you referring to the USB Buffer Size setting? it was on 5ms. i just now lowered it down to 1. but should i be concern that it might put too much strain to my laptop ( macbook pro 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 2.5 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5)?

Why don't you try it and see. What year is your laptop?
Papa Midnight 9:47 PM - 26 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
macbook pro 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 2.5 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5)?

If he has an i5 @ 2.5GHz and 4GB of DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz, but has to worry about "strain" during performances (unless video is also a question), then there may be other issues at play that we haven't been clued in about. There should be no issue running at 1ms with those specs using an NS7II.
DJ Unique 12:58 AM - 27 May, 2016
Quote:
"i need it tighter"

Quote:
That's what she said.

Or he?

LOL
Felix Alfaro 2:15 AM - 27 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

DJ-M. Bezzle

its a 2012 model
Felix Alfaro 2:18 AM - 27 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
macbook pro 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 2.5 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5)?

If he has an i5 @ 2.5GHz and 4GB of DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz, but has to worry about "strain" during performances (unless video is also a question), then there may be other issues at play that we haven't been clued in about. There should be no issue running at 1ms with those specs using an NS7II.

unfortunately, its only i5 dual-core intel. can't upgrade the processor ]; but i am beefing up the ram.
Felix Alfaro 2:29 AM - 27 May, 2016
well, the stanton 150 is very responsive now. I lowered the buffer setting all the way down to 1. now its working like a champ. even though I have to get use to the feeling of a REAL turntable. I think I was a bit spoiled on the NS7 2, its just so easy to use. such a user friendly machine. as far as my laptop goes, upgrade to 8gb of ram for now till i can afford another laptop that fits the djing needs that has quad-core intel processor. please, if you guys have more suggestion, keep shooting. thanks DJs. keep the art form alive
Detroitbootybass 8:12 PM - 27 May, 2016
The title of this thread reminded me of 'Knocked Up'.
Gio Alex 9:10 PM - 27 May, 2016
Quote:
The title of this thread reminded me of 'Knocked Up'.

LMAO