Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Vinyl makes loud vibration when rewinding

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
yuri 2:39 PM - 7 July, 2004
Hi, this is an odd issue that is happening with both my SSL vinyls and not any other vinyls.

For the past 2 or 3 weeks the vinyls will make very loud vibrations when I back cue/rewind. It gives off a very loud farting (lol) type sound and the vinyl themselves vibrate. Ive cleaned both vinyls but the problems only goes away for a few minutes, then it returns. Any suggestions would be appreciated because it is very annoying, especially when im playing at a volume that is less than the vibration volume.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:14 PM - 7 July, 2004
It sounds like the record spindle hole of your vinyl is rubbing on your turntable spindle and making the ummm noise.
yuri 6:04 PM - 8 July, 2004
yes that was it.. fixed now.. thanks
tashafa 7:45 PM - 8 July, 2004
how fif u fix it? am having the same issues..
yuri 7:48 PM - 8 July, 2004
hi, well on the other forum someone suggested that tape be used on the vinyl hole to make it more secure. Well that tape turned out to cause the vibration.. so I just removed the tape and all is well...
feniks 8:58 PM - 8 July, 2004
sometimes the vibration is caused because the center hole is TOO SMALL. in this case you need to use a little tool to GENTLY make the hole a tiny bit bigger. i usually use a little jewelers screwdriver and gently rub the inside surface of the hole in a circular motion. this will make the hole a tiny bit bigger and eliminate that vibration problem. if the vibration is because the hole is too big you can use tape or a piece of glossy paper (the kind the stickers are attached to) and cut a small piece to fit the hole.
feniks 8:59 PM - 8 July, 2004
actually....tape probably isn't a good idea as the adhesive on the tape can actually rub off on your spindle and cause more problems.
nik39 1:43 AM - 9 July, 2004
You can use tape or stickers plus add some vaseline, that helps. But still I have to say, having smaller holes would solve this issue for all, as then we wouldnt need any tapes/stickers or whatever to make the hole tighter.
feniks 2:48 AM - 9 July, 2004
vaseline? too messy and wouldn't want this to get into the motor.
nik39 3:01 AM - 9 July, 2004
You just need a very little of it. And by the way... if you know how a tech 1200 is built, then you should know that you have to oil that part where the record hole is, anyway from time to time.
feniks 3:59 AM - 9 July, 2004
i do know how a 1200 is built and you do need to lube it up about every 1000 hrs of use....but with oil not vaseline. vaseline actually breaks down plastics and rubbers and could potentially damage the motor. just FYI.