DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Organizing for Serato & CDJs

jonnynoxious 5:40 AM - 5 May, 2016
Hey guys!
I have an interesting one for you:
I personally use Serato paired with a DDJ or my A&H, but the situation has arisen where I'm using a pair of CDJ-2000s (one is even an NXS!) on Saturday nights.

My question is:
How would you go about organizing your database for these two purposes?
Folders by genre in one master folder? Given the amount of varying genres I have, even within a particular artist, that could be a pain. Maybe just create a separate flash drive and duped folders for the CDJs?
The Return of Dj Sparky 6:30 AM - 5 May, 2016
i don't really see a problem here you're just creating one

just connect the cdj's in HID or use control cd's to control serato's library the same way you currently do,
jonnynoxious 8:00 AM - 5 May, 2016
Oops. I wasn't clear earlier. I meant to add that I'm NOT connecting the CDJ's to a laptop, but instead bringing flash drives. I've been using my buddy's decks so I can leave the laptop at home, and I enjoy the tactile experience of the CDJ's.
DJ Baby Boy 1:48 AM - 6 May, 2016
Honestly unless you're looking to completely move over to CDJs only with flash drives I'd stick with Serato and HID as that will still give you the organization you're used to as well as being able to fully take advantage of what the CDJs have to offer
deejdave 3:12 PM - 7 May, 2016
I just got one of my libraries SYNCed via RekordBuddy (70,616 songs to be exact) so now can use all my same music between all the Pro DJ apps. FWIW Rekordbox's HID/CDJ feature blows this out of the water. Furthermore my new NXS2 gear was supported day one.
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:28 PM - 7 May, 2016
when is that ready!?!?!

don't poke me with your beta stick unless you got good Rekord Buddy news
deejdave 7:12 PM - 7 May, 2016
Well it now works with large libraries and previously did not. The news could not be any better imo.
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:18 PM - 7 May, 2016
it is good news

being limited to a small library would have been a deal breaker.
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:56 PM - 7 May, 2016
i'd laugh if pioneer released a conversion tool before him and made the program obsolete