DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How many songs?

MexiKanMan 7:38 AM - 23 May, 2009
Club DJs how many songs do you go thru in an hr? I'm listening to Enferno and in 1 hr there's over 30-40. Jus wonderin'?
Geometrix 9:40 AM - 24 May, 2009
i usually go thru 200 songs for a 4-5 hour set
BattleFunk 2:44 PM - 24 May, 2009
Quote:

+1
sixxx 4:30 PM - 24 May, 2009
Let's see.... 2.5 minutes avg per song (2 hooks, 2 verses). 4 in 10 minutes. 24 in 1 hour. 88 in 4 hours.

I think unless you're remixing, you shouldn't go through 200 songs in 4-5 hours. Unless, you're playing a transition track and calling that a song? Or, a party hype 15 sec sample and you're calling that a song? Etc.?
DJDaveOtt 6:52 PM - 24 May, 2009
same here...about 200...
sopranosupasta 7:09 PM - 24 May, 2009
I do about 150 in 3 hours.... but that includes samples, beats and scratch tracks.
DJDaveOtt 7:45 PM - 24 May, 2009
some of the songs i'm "counting" are just the hook/chorus..ie-32 beats
DJ GOOK 9:49 PM - 24 May, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

+1

dam! have to step my game up.i do about 80-90.200 is my goal now
babooza69 9:54 PM - 24 May, 2009
100-150 in like 4 hours
Dj MacMillz 10:51 PM - 24 May, 2009
Quote:
Let's see.... 2.5 minutes avg per song (2 hooks, 2 verses). 4 in 10 minutes. 24 in 1 hour. 88 in 4 hours.

I think unless you're remixing, you shouldn't go through 200 songs in 4-5 hours.

That's a realistic figure.
Laz219 11:27 AM - 25 May, 2009
Those figures sound about right for me too, will have to check after this weekend.
DJ Sainte 12:08 PM - 25 May, 2009
Anywhere from 120-160 in 4 hours for me
Turn Table Tennis 4:08 PM - 25 May, 2009
im with sixxx and gook. 80 to 90 is right. unless you're drunk and cuttin right out of songs.
BattleFunk 4:37 PM - 25 May, 2009
if you're not breaking a sweat, you're gettin paid to look cool

play the best bit. move on ;)
sixxx 6:36 PM - 25 May, 2009
No way.... people don't wanna hear 30 seconds of their favorite song.
BattleFunk 7:21 PM - 25 May, 2009
who said anything about playing anything that good? :p
Bigga Bounce Ent 7:53 PM - 25 May, 2009
Quote:

+1

Playing 30 sec of a song is good if your doin a "themed" set like a biggie set or a classic reggae set of 8-10 songs.. other than that ppl get sick of that type of mixing real fast !!

Plus you will start to run out of bangers in a hurry and your left with nothin but fillers !!
BattleFunk 8:12 PM - 25 May, 2009
i love to hear djs say things like 'keep the best tracks for later'

i used to as well

nobody is mixing 30 second tracks, do the math again guys

and if you're worried about not having any bangers for later, you need to rethink your crates - i bet you can play bangers til the cows come home, you just dont realize it :)
sixxx 8:18 PM - 25 May, 2009
I have bangers for days... not hours. (no misquote)

Let's do the math. 200 in 4 hours.

That's 50 songs per hour.

1 hour = 60 minutes. 50 songs divided by 60 minutes = .83 so...

That's 1.23 minutes per song. Still too short. lol
Dj Shamann 11:13 PM - 25 May, 2009
Quote:

The bride I'm doing a wedding for met up with me last week and says she wants me to Dj like I do at the club, most of the guests who are not family members have been to my parties so they know what to expect. She asked that I not play full songs (which I never do) because both her and her husband don't like to stop and look at their watch when a song starts dragging on. I've also been told by a chick years ago that what she likes about my mixing is I don't leave a song on long enough to ever get sick of it, no matter how many times she's heard the same CD of mine.

It all depends on where you are. I've slowed down since I stopped playing Reggae dances and play a little more House, so roughly 150 per night per 5 hour gig (give or take). This is with me drawing the tracks out a bit in the early night, and moving faster as the night progresses. I used to play over 200 (especially when I was still using 45's) The kind of mix style I'm used to is very fast paced so it's a bit of an adjustment to play songs long, however it's more of a descretion thing now compared to when I used to bring 6 crates a night even when other Dj's were playing too.

The one gig I fill in for once a month that is not a club environment but a bar, is Rock format for the fist half of the night before it moves into regular club style music, I play maybe 120 per night (roughly 4 hours) since the early Rock warm up is more "enjoy this until everyone gets here and in the meantime drink your face off before we get started" music.
sixxx 11:33 PM - 25 May, 2009
150 per 5 hours is waaaay different than 200 in 4 hours.

I get it that people don't wanna get bored of a song. I hardly ever will play a song completely. As a matter of fact, I use the crowd to guide me as to how long I should keep the song on past the 2nd hook.
DJDaveOtt 5:50 AM - 26 May, 2009
i just looked at my saturday nite playlist (thanks to ver 1.9 and the history function!)
i played about 120 songs in 4 hours...and here's my theory:

when it comes to recurrent songs: 1st verse, hook. next song.
newer songs: u gotta let em play out. my biggest complaint i hear is that the songs dont play long enough...but its never the older songs they make that complaint about. ie, a complaint about not playing the 3rd verse of 'blame it on the alcohol'..."but that's the best verse!! i cant believe u didnt play it!"
lol
next time im just gonna skip the first 2 verses and play ONLY the 3rd verse...and see what happens...lol
sl1200 6:06 AM - 26 May, 2009
I play between 90 & 120 songs in a five hours set. That's roughly 3 minutes a track. 80% of my sets is made up of Funky/Deep & Electro house the rest is Hip-Hop.

I have heard Dj's flying through tunes (less two minutes a track), I can't see myself doing that unless I'm booked for a much shorter set & the other DJ's are playing different genres.
sl1200 6:09 AM - 26 May, 2009
I play between 90 & 120 songs in a five hours set. That's roughly 3 minutes a track. 80% of my set is made up of Funky/Deep & Electro house the rest is Hip-Hop.

I have heard Dj's flying through tunes (less two minutes a track), I can't see myself doing that unless I'm booked for a much shorter set & the other DJ's are playing different genres.
sixxx 7:34 AM - 26 May, 2009
DaveOtt, let us know what happens if you only play the 3rd verse. Lol
BattleFunk 7:56 AM - 26 May, 2009
lol the next time any of you fuckers claim djing is an art im gonna tell you all that its a science - cos you've all got your ways and you're all claiming thats the best way

you've got it nailed, dictating the 'best way for the people' and then bitch about new guys who will no doubt read this thread and then 'know' what to do - then complain that they've undercut you with the advice you told them in the forum lol

its all jokes but dont be gettin a calculator of knowledge out when everyone's gigs are different
DJ ST 8:28 AM - 26 May, 2009
Dudes and dudettes.

If you're aiming at a specific number of songs in under 4 or 5 hours,
YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

Weren't we supposed to observe the audience, and switch when the mood starts to fall?

For average boozed-up customer it takes time to recognize the first chorus/intro/tune, then they start to dance to the tune, waiting for the chorus to sing-along.

Of course I know that some bangers you can just drop chorus after chorus,
but that is hard to do all night long. If you count all the instrumentals, acapellas, doubles and partybreaks, yes, it takes even me closer to 150-200 songs a night (4-6hrs).

Some songs just get better when you let them play for some time.
Who here would fade out "Beat It" before Eddie's guitar solo?
sixxx 2:11 PM - 26 May, 2009
True dat DJ ST. That's why I said:

Quote:
As a matter of fact, I use the crowd to guide me as to how long I should keep the song on past the 2nd hook.

I'd like to add that I also use the crowd as a method of guiding me when I need to change the song rather quickly aka clearing the floor. lol
Caramac 2:58 PM - 26 May, 2009
I ignore the crowd and play whatever I want for however long I want. I drive the bus mutha fukas!!!!

Lol.

Some people are so slack they literally wait untill the end of the 3rd verse before getting upto dance and then come ask you to play the song again. No fat arse get on the dancefloor quicker!
sixxx 3:37 PM - 26 May, 2009
hahahahaha

Yeah. Ive had some people do that. I mean, getting to the dance floor too late, but they wont complain cause usually the next song keeps them dancing.
Caramac 3:41 PM - 26 May, 2009
Not me lol. If they don't dance to Akon, BEP and other stuff they're getting to hear Mobb and LOX till they start to fall into line.
sixxx 3:47 PM - 26 May, 2009
hahahaha

OK. So 2 weeks ago I did just that. I was playing heaters and you could tell they were enjoying the music but muthafuckas didnt wanna dance so I switched it to true hip hop for 20 minutes until they came to the booth to complain. hahahaha
DJ GOOK 11:00 PM - 26 May, 2009
Me personally,if a dj play a song all the way threw he's not a dj cause your just letting the record play and then bringing in another song.no beat matching or nothing.Or your music library is tiny
Caramac 8:31 AM - 27 May, 2009
Quote:
hahahaha

OK. So 2 weeks ago I did just that. I was playing heaters and you could tell they were enjoying the music but muthafuckas didnt wanna dance so I switched it to true hip hop for 20 minutes until they came to the booth to complain. hahahaha

I do the exact same thing. When they come to complain I tell them that when they start dancing then they can have the music they want. Lol. My cousin calls me ''the moody dj''
Dj Shamann 6:53 PM - 27 May, 2009
Quote:

next time im just gonna skip the first 2 verses and play ONLY the 3rd verse...and see what happens...lol

Do it. Years before re-edits and all of that my sound used to make mixtapes like that, we'd play "only the best parts" (we always used those words) and keep it moving. This is the style of tape that the same girl earlier I mentioned about never getting bored of the tape. Sometimes we'd make our own versions of songs by playing chorus from one song and verse from the next as one song.

Quote:
its all jokes but dont be gettin a calculator of knowledge out when everyone's gigs are different

Agreed.

Quote:

If you're aiming at a specific number of songs in under 4 or 5 hours,
YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

Nobody's doing that, we're just not caring about stretching songs out and playing a set number of minutes dictated by what's acceptible play time, if anything cats that are playing like that are the ones that are aiming.

My number of tracks vary on week to week, crowd to crowd, venue to venue. I'm not worried about "okay, everyone on SL.net says I gotta play at least two verses, two songs per, and then watch the crowd to see if I should play the third"

I play how many I play and it sometimes ends up being a ridiculous amount, and sometimes it's more reserved.

If a Dj wants to drag out tracks, do what you do, but don't tell me I'm moving through tracks to fast when I play 6 different genres (not including fun stuff I may throw in) and have 20 000 tracks at my disposal. And I played like that when I dragged real crates around too so why would I not do so with tracks at a mouse click?

Quote:

LOL that's awesome and I have a spot in mind for that. I fill in for a buddy once a month way out in the sticks (he has the entire line up of Dj nights 3 nights a week so I cover every now and then when he's needed elsewhere) and it's a bar so they just sit around and chair dance, but want to try and request like they're gonna be on the dancefloor all night when in reality it's: request a song, hear it, recognize it, gather all their friends up, stand at the edge of the floor looking at each other until their entire table has gulped their drink and put away their purse and gotten up there, get on the dancefloor, stand around in a circle looking at each other while doing what I guess could be called dancing, song ends and then they single file back to their table until they request another, rinse and repeat.

And for this reason I won't drag out songs, you wanna take ten years to get your fat ass up there, making me play on your time when I've got other people to take care of, I'm going to teach you about my time. Have a little faith in the Dj and stay up there a minute, when I get a group that does and these other lolly-gaggers want to still follow their ritual, they get ignored and I'll play request after request after request all back to back of the group who stayed on the floor.
sixxx 7:35 PM - 27 May, 2009
Quote:
LOL that's awesome and I have a spot in mind for that. I fill in for a buddy once a month way out in the sticks (he has the entire line up of Dj nights 3 nights a week so I cover every now and then when he's needed elsewhere) and it's a bar so they just sit around and chair dance, but want to try and request like they're gonna be on the dancefloor all night when in reality it's: request a song, hear it, recognize it, gather all their friends up, stand at the edge of the floor looking at each other until their entire table has gulped their drink and put away their purse and gotten up there, get on the dancefloor, stand around in a circle looking at each other while doing what I guess could be called dancing, song ends and then they single file back to their table until they request another, rinse and repeat.

hahahaha. They need a jukebox in that joint. lol
Laz219 11:44 AM - 29 May, 2009
I gave myself a little exercise today, got a crate up that has around 150 songs in it (tracks from 126-134bpm roughly in that partiuclar crate) and tried to mix as quickly as I possibly could while still mixing properly.
Really suprised me how quick I can get through so many songs although if I did the same thing live...I would have some very pissed off people that barely got to hear the song.
Dreadfunk 5:25 PM - 26 May, 2011
It varies of course, but I tend to play just under 30 tracks in an hour. I mostly play at 17(x)bpm. A few less if I'm playing at 140.

I very very rarely play a track past the second breakdown, except for double drops. I think that's pretty typical for a Drum and Bass and Dubstep DJ.
DJYoshi 5:39 PM - 26 May, 2011
40 songs in an hour usually.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:00 PM - 6 June, 2011
i was let down when i found out the # of trakcs i play in a night, i need to step it up
DJ SKOOLBOI 9:44 PM - 13 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

The bride I'm doing a wedding for met up with me last week and says she wants me to Dj like I do at the club, most of the guests who are not family members have been to my parties so they know what to expect. She asked that I not play full songs (which I never do) because both her and her husband don't like to stop and look at their watch when a song starts dragging on. I've also been told by a chick years ago that what she likes about my mixing is I don't leave a song on long enough to ever get sick of it, no matter how many times she's heard the same CD of mine.

It all depends on where you are. I've slowed down since I stopped playing Reggae dances and play a little more House, so roughly 150 per night per 5 hour gig (give or take). This is with me drawing the tracks out a bit in the early night, and moving faster as the night progresses. I used to play over 200 (especially when I was still using 45's) The kind of mix style I'm used to is very fast paced so it's a bit of an adjustment to play songs long, however it's more of a descretion thing now compared to when I used to bring 6 crates a night even when other Dj's were playing too.

The one gig I fill in for once a month that is not a club environment but a bar, is Rock format for the fist half of the night before it moves into regular club style music, I play maybe 120 per night (roughly 4 hours) since the early Rock warm up is more "enjoy this until everyone gets here and in the meantime drink your face off before we get started" music.

yeah i play reggae /dancehall and usually its 45sec then next song with hiphop rnb top40 i play about 1:30 or more depends.
Discobee 5:36 AM - 14 July, 2011
Whatever happened to the good old days of the extended club mix? Where the 12" single was 6-7 minutes long, with two breakdowns in the song. Yes, even hip hop had extended club mixes. Where people wanted to dance 4-5 minutes of the song. That gave the DJ lots of time to sift through the record crate and cue up the next record with your EAR. Then do some coke (not that I did any) in the back of the DJ booth, lol.

Nowadays, the DJs are such quick-mixers with the < than 2 minutes mentailty (unless you're playing electronic / house). Somewhere between the 80's and 2010's, clubgoers became too ADD. I, too, have evolved and now average 120-140 songs in a 3.5-4 hour set.
Papa Midnight 5:42 AM - 14 July, 2011
Quote:
Whatever happened to the good old days of the extended club mix? Where the 12" single was 6-7 minutes long, with two breakdowns in the song. Yes, even hip hop had extended club mixes. Where people wanted to dance 4-5 minutes of the song. That gave the DJ lots of time to sift through the record crate and cue up the next record with your EAR. Then do some coke (not that I did any) in the back of the DJ booth, lol.

Nowadays, the DJs are such quick-mixers with the < than 2 minutes mentailty (unless you're playing electronic / house). Somewhere between the 80's and 2010's, clubgoers became too ADD. I, too, have evolved and now average 120-140 songs in a 3.5-4 hour set.

Younger the crowd, the worse it gets. Radio Top 40 machines get bored easily.
DylPPLSCULTURE 11:22 PM - 1 December, 2016
Seriously?? I can go through WELLover 300 (if not into the 400's) songs in a club setting in 4 hours; depending on the audience. You are not djing if you are consistently playing 2 verses and 2 choruses from a song let alone playing it for 2 and a half minutes each, Spotify can do that. As a DJ I carry two computers to the gigs just in case and I also have anywhere from 5 to 6 hundred songs and that is nothing compared to bigger club venues where the DJ's can have thousands for a 2 to 4 hour set. I have seen the Chainsmokers play a near 6 hour set at Hakassan in Vegas and just not even keeping track they played 2 or 3 hundred songs, easily, in a 2 hour time frame. If you want to keep an audience engaged and hyped you have to be mixing more then that!
DylPPLSCULTURE 11:28 PM - 1 December, 2016
Quote:
I play between 90 & 120 songs in a five hours set. That's roughly 3 minutes a track. 80% of my set is made up of Funky/Deep & Electro house the rest is Hip-Hop.

How is this Djing, though? No disrespect but letting songs play up to 3 minutes is just letting songs play, spotify could do that. I can go through nearly 300 in a 4 hour set. I don't like to count because it isn't about that but still 90 songs in 4 hours?? How is there any vibe or atmosphere happening?
dj_soo 8:37 PM - 2 December, 2016
You felt the need to revive a 5 year old thread just to wave your dick around about how many songs you play in a set?
DylPPLSCULTURE 8:40 PM - 2 December, 2016
Quote:
You felt the need to revive a 5 year old thread just to wave your dick around about how many songs you play in a set?

Wow.. don't think there was any reason for that.
Mr. Goodkat 12:25 AM - 3 December, 2016
Quote:

literal lol

this board doesnt have enought techno djs that would just scoff and say i play 7 minute songs all the way thru.
Dj_Nix 1:10 AM - 3 December, 2016
Quote:

bahahhaaaaa /js
djnak 1:57 AM - 3 December, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

How is this Djing, though? No disrespect but letting songs play up to 3 minutes is just letting songs play, spotify could do that. I can go through nearly 300 in a 4 hour set. I don't like to count because it isn't about that but still 90 songs in 4 hours?? How is there any vibe or atmosphere happening?

Quote:

after your shit talking I think soo was pretty justified? I would love to hear one of your sets...I know plenty of hip hop dj's that play 30 seconds of every song but can't mix worth shit, it's just trainwreck after trainwreck....
djdonny007 12:34 PM - 3 December, 2016
Quote:

Lmfao
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:25 PM - 3 December, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

after your shit talking I think soo was pretty justified? I would love to hear one of your sets...I know plenty of hip hop dj's that play 30 seconds of every song but can't mix worth shit, it's just trainwreck after trainwreck....

Lol thats what i was thinking. Coincidence no link to any mixs...hmmm
DJ SKOOLBOI 5:54 AM - 18 November, 2020
I think it’s def genre dependent , as a dj that does dancehall sometimes we have to fly through songs 30secs because there’s so much music ,however different circumstances calls for different approaches to djayin ..I myself def want to have less music in my crates.
Laz219 1:29 PM - 18 November, 2020
Bringing back 4 year old threads is a different circumstance too I guess.
DJ SKOOLBOI 1:39 PM - 18 November, 2020
Ok
dj_soo 9:50 PM - 19 November, 2020
As a 40+ year old DJ who now only livestreams since gigs aren't really happening in my area, I'm all about playing 7+ minute extended edits all the way through these days.

I always thought anyone who brags about how many tracks they can play (or how "technical" their mixes are) tend to be intermediate djs - those just really getting into playing for crowds.

Once you get past that, you realize that how many tracks you play depends on who you're playing for - just like any other gig.
DjLaZaRuSrOcKs 6:36 AM - 20 November, 2020
There is a time and a place for that quick mixing style and that is at an Attention Deficit Disorder meeting.
My crowd would kill me if I only played 30 seconds to 1 minute of every song. Ha.
DJ SKOOLBOI 3:54 PM - 21 November, 2020
Agreed ,many different way to do what we love ..stay safe guys 🙏🏿