DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

"Early Adopters" No bitching and whining allowed !

pdidy 9:21 PM - 19 April, 2016
Let's first define what an early adopter is.....
Early Adopter: a person who starts using a product or technology as soon as it becomes available.

Like anything else there are rules to this shit and some of you have not learned to stay in your lane. Many of you want to be early adopters but have not yet obtained the required knowledge, hardware, experience and finances necessary to fill this position properly.

Some of you just need to "stay on the porch if you're not ready for the streets" as they say in my hood because early adoption is not for everybody.

There is no bitching and whining allowed for early adopters because you sign up for that shit.
(We could pretty much /thread here but we won't.....lol)

"We'll don't we have the right to expect a perfectly performing product on day one from a reliable company ?" In a perfect world the answer would be yes but this is not a perfect world so wake up and stop dreaming..... i.imgur.com

There is always a lot of risk involved because companies are no longer thoroughly testing their product or technology before it goes public and hit the streets. The companies have realize that the consumer is not smart enough and therefore can be used to do their job for them for FREE. So a company can potential save millions by making the customer the test dummy for research and development Of said product.

This is a smart business decision on the company's behalf so honestly I don't blame them if they can get away with. So until the customers band together and flex them muscle demanding a complete and finished product that is truly ready for the market, companies will continue to save money by using the customer as its personal lab rat.

A professional early adopter knows the risk, is financially sound and experienced in order to handle any situation that may arise if the product or technology were to fail or become inoperable for a period of time. It's not unusual for professional early adopter to have back ups for their back ups so they are unaffected by product failure or long wait times for repair.

Then there is the unprofessional early adopter, these users put themselves at a risk that they are not prepared to handle. For example some DJ'S Will sell they're only operational gear in order to finance new untested gear. img.pandawhale.com If this new gear were to fail, they're left with no recourse but to bitch and whine because they did not understand the rules of the game in its current state. They lacked the finances necessary to allow them to maintain an operational back up while they purchased new gear. They also lack the knowledge and experience to tell them that this is simply bad decision-making at it best.

The EL capitan early adopter is a big deal right now. A lot of users lacked the required knowledge and experience in order to properly update to an untested system. These users risked established reputations and lost income over long periods of time for the simple thrill of being an early adopter. EL captain was by far the greatest lesson to technically inexperienced DJs on the topic of software early adoption. In sharp contrast, the technically experienced EL capitan early adopters were totally unfazed by all the fuss because they knew how to maintain their safe options.

Early adoption is not for everybody so learn to stay in your lane because there is no bitching and whining allowed.....
dj_craigmac 9:43 PM - 19 April, 2016
TWO QUESTIONS
1. since I'm the 1st in does that make me a FIRST RESPONDER ?
2. do "LAB RATS" use "LAB TOPS" ?
pdidy 10:00 PM - 19 April, 2016
Yes and no...
Gio Alex 10:04 PM - 19 April, 2016
This is why it helps to have a test machine as opposed to just "going live" or jumping ship.
DJ Remy USA 12:10 AM - 20 April, 2016
Diddy stop talking bs lol.

But no seriously its true I just shake my head when people upgrade for no reason. Hell I just updated to Maverick because I had to in order to run a my new DAW update and that was the only reason.
pdidy 12:53 AM - 20 April, 2016
Quote:
Diddy stop talking bs lol.

sssh, dont tell nobody...lol

Quote:
But no seriously its true I just shake my head when people upgrade for no reason.

they just dont know any better, that's why im talkin sh*t.
Mr. Goodkat 2:01 AM - 20 April, 2016
Blah blah blah El Capitan blah blah blah - pdidy
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 11:52 PM - 26 April, 2016
Quote:
TWO QUESTIONS
1. since I'm the 1st in does that make me a FIRST RESPONDER ?
2. do "LAB RATS" use "LAB TOPS" ?

ROTFL...
Quote:
they just dont know any better, that's why im talkin sh*t.

TRUTH.... Big part of the problem is Apple is shoving upgrades down throats at every turn because of the App store and free digital upgrades,

Part of the new "post Jobs" bidness model is "make you upgrade" so you break shit so they (and other companies) can sell you new shit that will work "better" with that free upgrade.

I almost slipped up a few times and installed it on a few machines. I know quite a few normal people that made the jump without realizing what the consequences would be (break a app - no easy backward path so buy new app)

Crazy
DJMark 12:17 AM - 27 April, 2016
Before making any updates to the OS, clone the boot drive with SuperDuper so you can at least revert easily if something breaks.

I do that even for just minor OS updates.

Saves a lot of headaches, and I've been doing it that way since long before Scratch Live existed.
DJMark 12:26 AM - 27 April, 2016
I have to say with regard to El Capitan, it's a little late to be calling users of that OS "early adopters". El Capitan came out last September, shipped on every new Mac since.

That said I'm still on Mavericks for my main DJ-ing laptop, have seen no good reason to update beyond that. Backup laptop still on Mountain Lion.
pdidy 4:27 AM - 27 April, 2016
Quote:
I have to say with regard to El Capitan, it's a little late to be calling users of that OS "early adopters". El Capitan came out last September, shipped on every new Mac since.

Hmmm, yea by definition you're right. But the real "message" still holds true.
DJ Remy USA 1:38 AM - 28 April, 2016
Quote:

That said I'm still on Mavericks for my main DJ-ing laptop, have seen no good reason to update beyond that. Backup laptop still on Mountain Lion.

Bingo Im just like you no reason to upgrade unless you NEED to. I think new DJs just like upgrading to have something new so they can stay cutting edge. Gift and a curse
Mr. Goodkat 2:59 AM - 28 April, 2016
Quote:
Before making any updates to the OS, clone the boot drive with SuperDuper so you can at least revert easily if something breaks.

Saves a lot of headaches, and I've been doing it that way since long before Scratch Live existed.

this is actually advice.

there are actually all kinds of reasons why you might upgrade besides trying to stay cutting edge.
Gio Alex 2:43 PM - 28 April, 2016
Quote:
TRUTH.... Big part of the problem is Apple is shoving upgrades down throats at every turn because of the App store and free digital upgrades,

This is true, but no one is making anyone download it though. Just turn off the update feature. If you're a professional DJ and your shit is working then why upgrade? I've always had the "if it ain't broken than why fix it approach." Why jeopardize your workflow over something new and shiny? Personally, I only use my laptop for djing and emails so I couldn't care less what the OS looks like. My home/desktop computer may be a diff story.
DJ Remy USA 5:03 PM - 28 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

this is actually advice.

there are actually all kinds of reasons why you might upgrade besides trying to stay cutting edge.

Theres no reason to upgrade unless you need to though and thats what Im saying. Almost always people are upgrading within days or weeks of something being released. What other reason would there be besides staying on the cutting edge of technology? Especially if everything is working before you upgrade?
Gio Alex 5:04 PM - 28 April, 2016
Quote:
Theres no reason to upgrade unless you need to though and thats what Im saying. Almost always people are upgrading within days or weeks of something being released. What other reason would there be besides staying on the cutting edge of technology? Especially if everything is working before you upgrade?

Exactly!

That's what I just said.
Mr. Goodkat 5:32 PM - 28 April, 2016
the only thing ive run into with mountain lion is that there are quite a few programs that i want to use that arent available unless you get to a certain os.

Apple makes it hard to really go back and DL any older OS (which we all discussed) so some people that arent in the fold like we are, might update just to use certain apps, logic proX for example.

Of course, i would never willingly update to el cap after hearing the horror stories on here and really was trying to get yosemite.

in my case, i read an article about yosemite that sent me to a link from a couple years ago. the link looked the same and im pretty sure said yosemite but when it downloaded it was EL Cap and i just installed it.
CMOS 8:22 PM - 29 April, 2016
For those of us on SSL its going to get annoying moving forward, will have to dedicate this laptop to SSL and get another one for Logic and Xcode.
Mr. Goodkat 8:45 PM - 29 April, 2016
Quote:
For those of us on SSL its going to get annoying moving forward, will have to dedicate this laptop to SSL and get another one for Logic and Xcode.

what os you on cmos?
pdidy 8:48 PM - 29 April, 2016
Quote:

thats nothing a partition cant fix...
Marv Incredible 9:05 PM - 30 April, 2016
Quote:
thats nothing a partition cant fix...

Amen brother
CMOS 7:09 PM - 1 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

what os you on cmos?

Mavericks.

Yeah i can do partitions, but my system drive is only 512, its not upgradeable as we all know (BASTARDS!!!) and its full of ableton sessions, tons of photos videos etc etc.

With the Mac i never had to dedicate the machine to one use, i could use it for EVERYTHING and not worry.

Now im back to using externals like a herb from 2006.

Feels like we went backwards. Where are the laptops with 4tb drive in two bays that we would all get hard ons for?
CMOS 7:10 PM - 1 May, 2016
Forgot to mention some of the ridiculous sized Kontakt libraries too. They really think 1 x 1tb drive is going to cut it for media professionals on the go?
DJ Remy USA 3:46 PM - 2 May, 2016
Quote:
Forgot to mention some of the ridiculous sized Kontakt libraries too. They really think 1 x 1tb drive is going to cut it for media professionals on the go?

This my mac is full of ableton sessions and that 20GB Komplete library and all of my music is internal. If you feeling froggy I sold my new mac just go back to the old 2012s those can be upgraded still. You can sell it get great money and grab a 2012 Mac book pro and max that bitch out with 16GB and 2 HDs internally and it will keep up with the newer macs. Sell that non upgrade-able junk its not for consumers not creators. Juts my 2 cents
Mr. Goodkat 3:52 PM - 2 May, 2016
ssl and 2012 mbp's for life.
d:raf 4:25 PM - 2 May, 2016
Quote:

marco.org

Quote:
Why the 2012 non-Retina MacBook Pro still sells
January 4, 2016 ∞

The 13-inch non-Retina MacBook Pro, model MD101LL/A, was launched in 2012 for $1199. Almost four years later, it’s still for sale, completely unchanged except for a price drop to $1099 in 2013.

Despite the low-resolution screen, slow hard drives, very little RAM, and CPUs that were middling even in 2012, it’s an open secret among Apple employees that the “101” still sells surprisingly well — to a nearly tragic degree, given its age and mediocrity.

Geeks like me often wonder why anyone would still buy such an outdated machine. I’ve heard from many people who buy it (or who’ve been unsuccessful in talking others out of it), and it’s surprisingly compelling, especially for volume-buying, price-conscious customers such as schools and big businesses:

• It’s the only Mac with a DVD drive. Many people still want one, either “just in case” or for actually watching movies from discs on a regular basis. Geeks think such use is “dead” and long gone, but it’s far from it. (It’s also the only Mac still sold with FireWire and the only laptop with Ethernet built in, both of which still matter a lot to some buyers.)

• It’s the only Mac laptop that uses standard hard disks, meaning storage space is very cheap: 1 TB from Apple is only $50. And the disk can be easily and cheaply replaced if it fails, which is a huge win for IT departments and budget-conscious owners.

• It’s the only Mac laptop with upgradeable RAM. Many buyers can’t afford top specs up front, but would gladly upgrade down the road to extend the machine’s lifespan. Third-party RAM options are not only cheaper, but sometimes have higher limits: Apple won’t sell more than 8 GB in the 101, but OWC sells 16 GB for just $108.

• It’s very inexpensive, even when specced up. $1400 buys the fastest CPU, 8 GB of RAM, and a 1 TB disk from Apple.

• If you’re willing to use third-party RAM and disks, you can put 16 GB RAM and a 2 TB disk into Apple’s fast-CPU model for a total of only $1457. Or with a 1 TB SSD (!) for $1613.1

• A modern 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro with a similar CPU, 16 GB of RAM, and a 1 TB SSD is $2700. While it’s thinner and lighter and has better battery life, and the SSD is way faster than hard drives, it lacks the DVD drive, FireWire, Ethernet, and repairability. For many buyers, they’d rather save the $1100 and get the bulkier, slower, more expandable machine.

• It’s not that outdated. It has Thunderbolt, USB 3, and a multitouch trackpad (not Force Touch, although I consider that a plus). The low-resolution screen is the most obviously outdated part, but a lot of people simply don’t care enough.

If you install an SSD, it’s even competitive on performance. In the Geekbench 64-bit benchmark, the 101’s base CPU is only 16% slower in single-threaded tasks and 25% slower in multi-threaded tasks than the 2015 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro’s base CPU. If you compare the best CPUs on each, the difference is only 7% and 9% for single- and multi-threaded, respectively.

I’m right there with everyone else who’d strongly advise against buying this machine for most people who’d ask me. But if someone has a tight budget, needs a lot of disk space, and doesn’t care about the screen, it’s hard to argue against the 101.2

As we’ve progressed toward thinner, lighter, more integrated Macs, we’ve paid dearly in upgradeability, versatility, and value. There are many Macs to choose from today, but in some ways, we have less choice than ever. The 101 represents the world we’re leaving behind, and our progress hasn’t all been positive.

The better question isn’t why anyone still buys the 101, but why the rest of the MacBook lineup is still less compelling for the 101’s buyers after almost four years, and whether Apple will sell and support the 101 for long enough for newer MacBook models to become compelling, economical replacements.
CMOS 4:54 PM - 2 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

This my mac is full of ableton sessions and that 20GB Komplete library and all of my music is internal. If you feeling froggy I sold my new mac just go back to the old 2012s those can be upgraded still. You can sell it get great money and grab a 2012 Mac book pro and max that bitch out with 16GB and 2 HDs internally and it will keep up with the newer macs. Sell that non upgrade-able junk its not for consumers not creators. Juts my 2 cents

Below are my largest Kontakt Libraries, anyone running these off an external?

Kontakt Factory library - 20gb
East West Strings library - 15 gb
Symphobia Library - 19gb
Abbey Road Vintage Drums Library - 8gb
Alicias Keys Library - 8gb
LA Scoring Strings Library - 9gb
Action Strings Library - 10gb
Galaxy Vintage D Piano Library - 6gb
Maybach Empire Library - 8gb
Mojo Horns Library - 15gb
BigFish Off the Hook Library - 4gb
Scarbee Funk Guitarist Library- 8gb
Orange Tree Acoustic Guitar Library - 4gb

My Fav Library - 808 Warfare - 200mb
Mr. Goodkat 4:55 PM - 2 May, 2016
interesting read. i figured it out after i bought it, that it was the last one that could be updated. actually got mine for under a 1000$ usd in the late spring of 13.

i have 16 mb ram and a 1 tb hd. and i keep my disc drive because my imac's crapped out and im still buying cd's for wav rips.
pdidy 12:03 AM - 3 May, 2016
Quote:

If apple continues its current game plan this will be a fact for many of us.
DJ Remy USA 1:53 PM - 4 May, 2016
Quote:

this right here Im saving up to get a old 2012 i7 13inch mac book pro. Then maxing it out with 16GB a SSD and OWC Data doubler. Computer cam easily carry producers and DJs for the next 10 years. 16GB is gonna be standard within the next 5 years possibly sooner.
Gio Alex 3:57 PM - 4 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

this right here Im saving up to get a old 2012 i7 13inch mac book pro. Then maxing it out with 16GB a SSD and OWC Data doubler. Computer cam easily carry producers and DJs for the next 10 years. 16GB is gonna be standard within the next 5 years possibly sooner.

I agree 100%.I'm still using a 2011 with those same specs that I put together in 2012. No issues, not hiccups. The usb 3.0 would be a huge plus on the 2012 model for me but I also don't ever use anything that requires that so it's whatever. I just use thiscomp for djing and that's it.

I have a mac mini for studio stuff.
DJ Remy USA 4:07 PM - 4 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Below are my largest Kontakt Libraries, anyone running these off an external?

Kontakt Factory library - 20gb
East West Strings library - 15 gb
Symphobia Library - 19gb
Abbey Road Vintage Drums Library - 8gb
Alicias Keys Library - 8gb
LA Scoring Strings Library - 9gb
Action Strings Library - 10gb
Galaxy Vintage D Piano Library - 6gb
Maybach Empire Library - 8gb
Mojo Horns Library - 15gb
BigFish Off the Hook Library - 4gb
Scarbee Funk Guitarist Library- 8gb
Orange Tree Acoustic Guitar Library - 4gb

My Fav Library - 808 Warfare - 200mb

Those libraries are huge but the audio resolution on them are so damn good I dont mind the size. To answer yes you can run all of those internally. Put OWC data doubler in your Mac book pro and you can possibly have 3TB of data in your laptop the disk speeds are slower but with 16GB of ram once you access the file and its loaded into memory the computer wont really need to read the files from the disk to often and you should have a better machine over all than a brand new mac.
DJ Remy USA 4:08 PM - 4 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree 100%.I'm still using a 2011 with those same specs that I put together in 2012. No issues, not hiccups. The usb 3.0 would be a huge plus on the 2012 model for me but I also don't ever use anything that requires that so it's whatever. I just use thiscomp for djing and that's it.

see I have a 2011 and I need to replace it because it has that logic board issue where the screen randomly shuts off. I know how to bypass the issue on the logic board but I cant run external video so that means Im producing on a 15 inch screen and thats no fun.
Gio Alex 5:21 PM - 4 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

see I have a 2011 and I need to replace it because it has that logic board issue where the screen randomly shuts off. I know how to bypass the issue on the logic board but I cant run external video so that means Im producing on a 15 inch screen and thats no fun.

Yeah i missed out on that one. Didn't affect mine. But I also believe that was an issue with ones with dedication graphics, right? For instance a 15in macbook pro.
Marv Incredible 6:06 PM - 4 May, 2016
^I must have got lucky because I knew nothing about this issue when I bought mine. So far, so good.
Gio Alex 6:22 PM - 4 May, 2016
Quote:
dedicated graphics

fixed.
monchi 8:13 PM - 4 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

this right here Im saving up to get a old 2012 i7 13inch mac book pro.

Where to get from?
d:raf 8:14 PM - 4 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah i missed out on that one. Didn't affect mine. But I also believe that was an issue with ones with dedication graphics, right? For instance a 15in macbook pro.

As I understand it, it's the early 2011's (and before) that have the graphics problems.
monchi 8:14 PM - 4 May, 2016
MacMall any good?
Papa Midnight 8:19 PM - 4 May, 2016
Quote:
The EL capitan early adopter is a big deal right now. A lot of users lacked the required knowledge and experience in order to properly update to an untested system. These users risked established reputations and lost income over long periods of time for the simple thrill of being an early adopter. EL captain was by far the greatest lesson to technically inexperienced DJs on the topic of software early adoption. In sharp contrast, the technically experienced EL capitan early adopters were totally unfazed by all the fuss because they knew how to maintain their safe options.

pdidy, you know good and well we can go through this forum for every new version of OS X (back to AT LEAST Lion) and we'll find the same exact two things:

1) A statement from Serato saying NOT to upgrade as it is not supported
2) Dozens of threads and posts from people who did it anyway.
monchi 8:27 PM - 4 May, 2016
Quote:
MacMall any good?

Nevermind they all come with OS X El Crapitan
pdidy 8:33 PM - 4 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

pdidy, you know good and well we can go through this forum for every new version of OS X (back to AT LEAST Lion) and we'll find the same exact two things:

1) A statement from Serato saying NOT to upgrade as it is not supported
2) Dozens of threads and posts from people who did it anyway.

True, it's a never ending cycle.
Gio Alex 8:34 PM - 4 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
MacMall any good?

Nevermind they all come with OS X El Crapitan

Doesn't matter what they come with. It depends the year the computer is from. 2012 is preel capitan so you can always go back. 2014 same shit.
pdidy 8:35 PM - 4 May, 2016
Quote:
MacMall any good?

eshop.macsales.com
Mr. Goodkat 9:16 PM - 4 May, 2016
who doesnt love mac mall

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Remy USA 5:04 AM - 5 May, 2016
tons macs online for sale almost every from amazon to macofalltrades dont mess with gainsaver I hear its bad news