DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Learning to Scratch /////HELP/////

vicko72 9:38 PM - 10 April, 2016
Hi guys was after some help, I've started mixing for a while now and loving serato 1.9 , I'm running a Numark Ns6, I know it isn't the real deal like real vinyl but I'm trying to learn how to scratch it's fun and all but I need a few answers if anyone can help , while I'm playing a track one deck eg B and i come in with a scratch on deck A , before that happens my tracks are on sync but after the scratch it loses sync , very frustrating am I not setting up properly ??? I don't like slip mode you lose a lot of the track , and I have cued and looped my tracks , I'm an old skool guy so I tend to stick to a lot of soul and funk
Cheers guys any help would be appreciated
The Return of Dj Sparky 9:49 PM - 10 April, 2016
so you sync 2 tracks, all good,

you then manually manipulate one deck taking them out of sync and then magically expect them to be in sync again when your finished your baby scratch,

the only problem here is you and if you can't drop the track back on beat then your timing is also at fault
vicko72 10:18 PM - 10 April, 2016
Thanks for your input champ , like I said I'm only learning
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:47 PM - 12 April, 2016
Quote:
Hi guys was after some help, I've started mixing for a while now and loving serato 1.9 , I'm running a Numark Ns6, I know it isn't the real deal like real vinyl but I'm trying to learn how to scratch it's fun and all but I need a few answers if anyone can help , while I'm playing a track one deck eg B and i come in with a scratch on deck A , before that happens my tracks are on sync but after the scratch it loses sync , very frustrating am I not setting up properly ??? I don't like slip mode you lose a lot of the track , and I have cued and looped my tracks , I'm an old skool guy so I tend to stick to a lot of soul and funk

Smh
Gio Alex 5:12 PM - 12 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Smh

I had to read it again, entirely,e and let it sink in.
vicko72 9:53 PM - 12 April, 2016
I didn't realise that everyone that has started commenting on my question were born dj gods and never asked to what others seemed weird questions, my only reply so far is GFY , my enquiry may not make sense I hope someone can get what I'm trying to get to , I'm a proud 44 year old father of four recently widower and music is helping me through , but I've yet hit that sync button , I can mix songs pretty good no techno and no Madonna like some guys quote I'm just learning to scratch and finding it hard to scratch in the middle of a song and keep it synced, maybe I need to upgrade my gear ? Hope there is a decent answer outthere
Gio Alex 10:11 PM - 12 April, 2016
I hear you man. So lemme backtrack. I would imagine if you wanna get into or back to scratching... turntables would be your best bet. I suppose you can learn on a controller but it just doesn't make sense to me. At least something with a moving platter, V7, SC3900, at the very least.
Laz219 10:16 PM - 12 April, 2016
They may come across as harsh, but what they are saying is true.
It's the same principle as when you first start playing a track, obviously you need to drop it on the '1' beat, if you just hit play at any random time you obviously aren't going to have your tracks beatmatched.
When you finish scratching it's the same thing, you need to drop it back on the beat correctly (and account for any lag in the track 'spinning up' if your controller does that)

Best thing to do is scratch over simple beats at first, so you can get a feel for the timing.
DJ Remix Detroit 1:58 AM - 13 April, 2016
Quote:
At least something with a moving platter,

this... i'd sell that NS6 asap and move to an NS7 1 2 or 3. moving platters makes all the difference in the world.

if your budget doesnt allow for a $1500 NS7, then try these with a simple mixer like a rane ttm56.

www.amazon.com