DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Serato Team can you please clarify status of MP2014 Serato DJ Club Kit plans.

Rebelguy 5:39 PM - 9 April, 2016
The subject says it all.
DJ Quartz 6:03 PM - 9 April, 2016
You should ask Rane as well.
DJ Irv 3:58 PM - 10 April, 2016
This will happen. It's pretty much a given.
DJMark 11:17 PM - 10 April, 2016
I'd buy three if they worked with Scratch Live.
DJ Irv 3:15 PM - 11 April, 2016
Quote:

ScratchLive is dead. I liked it too but, it's time to let go.
eugguy 4:52 PM - 11 April, 2016
ScratchLive is still very much alive to many many gigging dj's. Those who prefer more stability and less bells/whistles appreciate SSL still after SDJ has been out for the past few years. SDJ has crashed twice on my super stable/powerful MBP. Still feels like a risk using SDJ.
lvmez 11:39 PM - 11 April, 2016
A new thread to answer this question? lol.
DJMark 11:43 PM - 12 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

ScratchLive is dead. I liked it too but, it's time to let go.

I DJ 4-5 nights a week, 5 hours at a stretch.

I have a very strong disincentive to "let go" of software that just works works works works works, and replace it with software that not only is less reliable in real-world use, but also consumes a lot more resources.

Clearly I'm not just an opinion of one on this: serato.com

I don't give a rat's ass about how many new features SDJ has, or how many "toys for tots" it supports. I don't usually use key-lock, so even the improved PnT (which imposes its own forms of degradation, btw, it's hardly perfect at what it does) isn't much of an issue to me.

What is an issue is seeing nice new hardware come out, such as the MP2014, and not being able to make use of it without also adding an SL-X box. Irritating for me, bad for Rane.
Detroitbootybass 3:12 PM - 13 April, 2016
I still use SSL as well.

Do I wish I could use the better Pitch-n-Time plugin over the crappy SSL Key Lock? Sure, but that's not enough incentive to switch to a less-stable, power-hungry SDJ. Ultimately, doing your job and doing it really well is key... and SSL is clearly superior to SDJ in that aspect.
Gio Alex 3:35 PM - 13 April, 2016
Quote:
ScratchLive is still very much alive to many many gigging dj's. Those who prefer more stability and less bells/whistles appreciate SSL still after SDJ has been out for the past few years.

I just said this on a different thread. So true.
DJ Guayo 7:06 PM - 13 April, 2016
We used to clown JohnnyM for him running 1.9.2 on his XP machine...

We could be following suit soon with SSL and (Mountain Lion, Maverick, and Yosemite). lol
Mr. Goodkat 7:55 PM - 13 April, 2016
Quote:
We used to clown JohnnyM for him running 1.9.2 on his XP machine...

We could be following suit soon with SSL and (Mountain Lion, Maverick, and Yosemite). lol

so true.

maybe get a few old djs to have a dj roundtable spill a redbull on a sl1 box....

and SSL Time Machine
Rebelguy 8:49 PM - 13 April, 2016
Quote:
This will happen. It's pretty much a given.

No I am afraid it's not.
DJ Irv 2:39 AM - 14 April, 2016
Just to be clear.
MP2014 and SDJ via the clubkit will happen.
MP2014 and SSL or SSL and any new hardware will not happen.
Rebelguy 3:32 AM - 14 April, 2016
Quote:
Just to be clear.
MP2014 and SDJ via the clubkit will happen.
MP2014 and SSL or SSL and any new hardware will not happen.

PM sent.
pdidy 4:07 AM - 14 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
ScratchLive is still very much alive to many many gigging dj's. Those who prefer more stability and less bells/whistles appreciate SSL still after SDJ has been out for the past few years.

I just said this on a different thread. So true.

IM STILL 100% scratchlive for my high end gigs including all of my dj partners. I dont see that changing anytime soon.

To be honest, in my dj circles serato dj is almost nonexistent.
Gio Alex 11:50 AM - 14 April, 2016
Quote:
IM STILL 100% scratchlive for my high end gigs including all of my dj partners. I dont see that changing anytime soon.

To be honest, in my dj circles serato dj is almost nonexistent.

This. Only time I see ppl ever see using SDJ; controller users or venues that have a Pioneer serato mixer as their main mixer.
Gio Alex 11:51 AM - 14 April, 2016
Quote:
This. Only time I ever see ppl using SDJ; controller users or venues that have a Pioneer serato mixer as their main mixer.

fixed.
DJ Irv 2:23 PM - 14 April, 2016
Damn, to see the love for SSL and distrust for SDJ is kind of shocking.
DJ123 7:39 PM - 18 April, 2016
what i don't understand they said the mp2014 is the same mixer as the mp2015 cut in half but a smaller version you think the internal cards etc would be the same to use the club kit, i returned my mp2014 back to the store saving up to get the 2015
funx0rs 2:48 AM - 17 October, 2017
After researching all the features of this mixer, saving, and then looking non-stop as the mixer is sold out everywhere, I finally pulled the trigger on a pre-owned MP2014 only to find out it isn't certified. I should have done more research, so I guess it's on me, but I could only assume since it's the little brother of the 2015 it would be. I'm so puzzled and honestly heartbroken.

It makes no sense for the 2015, which is more mixer than I need, to be supported but the 2014 isn't. I really don't want to switch to Traktor.

Serato, TAKE MY MONEY.
lvmez 2:58 AM - 17 October, 2017
Oh boy, your telling us you didn’t search here?

I don’t want to be the one to break it to you but Serato will never support that mixer. It’s discontinued and doesn’t make financial sense.
DJ Unique 5:16 AM - 17 October, 2017
Quote:
Oh boy, your telling us you didn’t search here?

I don’t want to be the one to break it to you but Serato will never support that mixer. It’s discontinued and doesn’t make financial sense.

Yep
Rebelguy 6:19 PM - 17 October, 2017
Quote:
After researching all the features of this mixer, saving, and then looking non-stop as the mixer is sold out everywhere, I finally pulled the trigger on a pre-owned MP2014 only to find out it isn't certified. I should have done more research, so I guess it's on me, but I could only assume since it's the little brother of the 2015 it would be. I'm so puzzled and honestly heartbroken.

It makes no sense for the 2015, which is more mixer than I need, to be supported but the 2014 isn't. I really don't want to switch to Traktor.

Serato, TAKE MY MONEY.

Just resell it and save up for the 2015.
funx0rs 11:25 PM - 26 February, 2018
Quote:

I might go ahead and sell. I won't be purchasing a 2015, though. The whole thing has left a bad taste for me. I really don't want a 4-channel mixer.
Mr. Goodkat 11:33 PM - 26 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I might go ahead and sell. I won't be purchasing a 2015, though. The whole thing has left a bad taste for me. I really don't want a 4-channel mixer.

that mixer is a white buffalo, i regret you selling it and i don't own it or know you
dj_soo 12:03 AM - 27 February, 2018
I get the feeling that mixer will be in demand and go up on worth in a few years personally since it's so rare. I believe the 2015 is still in production, but the 2014 was only out for a little bit before Rane got sold.
Mr. Goodkat 12:05 AM - 27 February, 2018
Quote:
I get the feeling that mixer will be in demand and go up on worth in a few years personally since it's so rare. I believe the 2015 is still in production, but the 2014 was only out for a little bit before Rane got sold.

yep
dj_soo 12:06 AM - 27 February, 2018
the biggest problem is all the rotary heads are still stuck in the mentality that analog > digital despite a lot of people that have actually heard the mixers stating it sounds as good if not better than a lot of the classic rotaries. Probably take a little bit more time for that old guard to phase out a bit and you'll find people wishing they had the 2014 to play with vinyl or CDJs or something.
Mr. Goodkat 12:15 AM - 27 February, 2018
Quote:
the biggest problem is all the rotary heads are still stuck in the mentality that analog > digital despite a lot of people that have actually heard the mixers stating it sounds as good if not better than a lot of the classic rotaries. Probably take a little bit more time for that old guard to phase out a bit and you'll find people wishing they had the 2014 to play with vinyl or CDJs or something.

yeah, i can see that, i'm on a rotary mixer board on FB.

Still there are so few of them and so few options in rotary 2 channel mixer range that someone will eventually pay 4-5k for it.

and by the way if anyone reads and comes across the Omnitronik trm 202 mk3 to buy as a cheap rotary DONT BUY IT - theyre crap
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:58 AM - 27 February, 2018
lol. I'm in that group too
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:59 AM - 27 February, 2018
i think those Omnitroniks are only 220v so US folks won't be crossing those lines
Mr. Goodkat 11:08 AM - 27 February, 2018
adapters work, it worked pretty good for about 5-6 hours tops 10 hours. then a channel acted up. good concept/layout, apparently shoddy workmanship.
577er 12:00 PM - 27 February, 2018
In my experience completely analog audio does sound better than digital when done right* but that’s super expensive, rare and niche and very limiting in practical terms. Definitely not suitable for mobile DJing. In NYC I can only think of a handful of systems like this and even they have varying results. And I’m saying this while comparing these to a mixed Analog / digital system with a MP2016.
Detroitbootybass 4:19 PM - 27 February, 2018
I'd still love to have an MP2014...
577er 6:42 PM - 27 February, 2018
Quote:
I'd still love to have an MP2014...

Oh yeah it’s a great mixer. Personally i’d go for an E&S R400 or Taula4 or ARS 9000 if I was going to go the high end rotary route.
HK1200 6:56 PM - 27 February, 2018
I wish more people would use them so the manufacturers would stop pricing them like they're made of solid diamond. I've always wanted to add a rotary to my stable, but not at those prices.
Mr. Goodkat 6:58 PM - 27 February, 2018
Quote:
I wish more people would use them so the manufacturers would stop pricing them like they're made of solid diamond. I've always wanted to add a rotary to my stable, but not at those prices.

thats why i jumped on that OMnitronic at 480$ or so, but alas it was a bad idea.

i wish someone could get this right at less than 1000 usd

www.turntablelab.com
HK1200 7:04 PM - 27 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

thats why i jumped on that OMnitronic at 480$ or so, but alas it was a bad idea.

i wish someone could get this right at less than 1000 usd

www.turntablelab.com

Amen to that. It really shouldn't be that difficult, especially if they keep it analog.

If P&G ever wanted to get into the DJ mixer manufacturing market, instead of just a component supplier, this would be an excellent opportunity.
lvmez 11:26 PM - 1 March, 2018
I own the original MP2015 and was thinking about selling it to get a 72 & 12. I think I will regret it.

It is the best sounding mixer I have ever owned. Sure there are other rotaries that sound better, but I am a Serato user and not buying a SL4 to use with a Bozak or Urei.

Time will tell.
Gio Alex 12:55 AM - 2 March, 2018
Quote:
I own the original MP2015 and was thinking about selling it to get a 72 & 12. I think I will regret it.

Yeah I dunno about you doing that. Hold on to that mixer. It'll be really hard to find in the future.
Mr. Goodkat 3:54 AM - 2 March, 2018
does anyone know how many were in the original run(pre inmusic)?
roy rohypnol 12:46 PM - 2 March, 2018
Good question. That would be very interesting to know.
Aptidda 7:14 PM - 2 March, 2018
Quote:

It is the best sounding mixer I have ever owned. Sure there are other rotaries that sound better, but I am a Serato user and not buying a SL4 to use with a Bozak or Urei.

Time will tell.

well the 72 is going to have the exact same soundcard, and will sound the same as your MP2015. Get rid of it and come with me into the future. I'm sure you are over the "rotary" novelty by now and want to put your soft supple hands upon the new faders.
dj_soo 7:57 PM - 2 March, 2018
They never said "exact same sound card". All interviews have said the same "circuitry" as the 2015 so it may or may not sound the same, better, or worse.
Mr. Goodkat 9:20 PM - 2 March, 2018
rotary isnt a novelty, its just a way of mixing that is for smoother longer mixes.

its like an automatic or manual transmission in a car
DJ Quartz 11:12 PM - 2 March, 2018
Even though I'm a scratch mix DJ, I still see a good market for the 2014 but no Serato support yet.

I'm still not sure what happened here....
dj_soo 11:59 PM - 2 March, 2018
what happened is likely they looked at the numbers of SDJ converts for the 2015 as well as the sales figures of the 2014 and decided it wasn't worth it to put in the resources to map out the 2014 and then Rane got bought by inmusic putting the future of the company (at the time) in question.

Considering that inmusic is still manufacturing the 2015 but not the 2014, it's probably a good indication that they didn't move many units of the 2014.
Aptidda 12:01 AM - 3 March, 2018
Ya, 2014 guys stick with Traktor and deal with it. the 2014 is dead to Serato or they would have commented.
lvmez 1:06 AM - 3 March, 2018
* MP2014 is dead. It wasn't a financial success for Rane.

I mostly mxi house music at homes the MP2015 is perfect. The 72 reminds me when the 62 came out. It was very exciting. I will have to wait and see to make my decision.
Rebelguy 2:57 AM - 3 March, 2018
Quote:
Ya, 2014 guys stick with Traktor and deal with it. the 2014 is dead to Serato or they would have commented.

They have commented. People just don’t want to accept what they have said.
577er 4:23 AM - 3 March, 2018
I feel like the 2014 and 2015 were the OG owners last hurrah. One last passion project before they sold the company... or maybe they were the nail in the coffin? Or both? I’d keep the 2014 if you love it. Just use a SL Box and you’re sorted.
Gio Alex 7:28 PM - 3 March, 2018
Quote:
I feel like the 2014 and 2015 were the OG owners last hurrah. One last passion project before they sold the company... or maybe they were the nail in the coffin? Or both? I’d keep the 2014 if you love it. Just use a SL Box and you’re sorted.

This.
DJ Quartz 8:05 PM - 3 March, 2018
Well the thing is Rane is not gone as a company. It came out at a volatile time.

Who knows what can happen down the line.
roy rohypnol 8:57 PM - 3 March, 2018
Nope
DJ123 12:19 PM - 2 August, 2019
rane 72 don't have that good solid rane sound anymore to me, like the older rane mixers, is it because numark is making them now ?
DJ123 12:21 PM - 2 August, 2019
Quote:
rane 72 don't have that good solid rane sound anymore to me, like the older rane mixers, is it because numark is making them now ? mixer go in red to easy
dj_soo 9:03 PM - 2 August, 2019
I think the 72 is one of the best sounding mixers I've ever heard
DJ Unique 10:17 PM - 2 August, 2019
Quote:
I think the 72 is one of the best sounding mixers I've ever heard

Yes... sound similar to my MP2015
lvmez 6:09 PM - 3 August, 2019
I recently sold my Rane MP2015 and purchased a 72. The sound is the same.