Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Edit the BPM of a track without altering the beatgrid

Res-Q 5:45 AM - 5 April, 2016
If a song starts at 88 for a few bars, then switches to 97.
I beatgrid the track fine BUT when i save and eject the track, the bpm of the track changes to 97 in the playlist.
That doesnt make any sense to me because if I sort my crate by bpm this track will be with 97bpm songs, whereas it starts at 88 so it should be sorted with other 88bpm tracks.

Please give us a way to edit the BPM of a track in the playlist without altering its beatgrid
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:47 AM - 5 April, 2016
+1 this is annoying as i like to know the bpm i am looking to mix into.
SiRocket 5:52 AM - 5 April, 2016
+1
DJ Baby Boy 6:07 AM - 5 April, 2016
+1
Konvurt 2:58 PM - 5 April, 2016
This is a symptom of a much larger problem, and the proposed fix is an ineffective band-aid. The actual fix should be implementation of multiple grids/BPMs per track.
Cwite 7:43 PM - 5 April, 2016
+1. I feel your pain. Also, i though the beat markers were supposed to be unlimited? Has any one tried to beat grid Prydz Opus? It starts at 32b and gradualy goes up to 128b one bar at a time, then back again. I ran out of beat markers 2 3rds into the track lol
Res-Q 10:51 PM - 22 June, 2016
Better yet, the bpm display in the library should show the bpm of the track when it starts.

> If it's a transition track that goes from 128 to 100
> display 128 in the library
Mike Czech 8:20 PM - 9 July, 2016
I did a bug report to the Serato team on this behavior and went through the steps to show what was happening. The guy I was dealing with on their end said this:

"The closest i can get to what you're after is

1. Grid song manually
2. Lock beatgrid
3. Open file in ID3 editer and manually change the BPM.

Hopefully this can be fully addressed and corrected in a future release of SDJ."

Fingers crossed.
porps 2:54 PM - 12 July, 2016
+1 for displaying the starting bpm
Cuervo 12:39 AM - 13 July, 2016
=1
porps 2:14 PM - 13 July, 2016
Thanks for that tip Mike Czech
Mike Czech 6:14 PM - 13 July, 2016
Quote:
Thanks for that tip Mike Czech

*Thumbs Up Emoji*
Lexronn 6:24 AM - 12 August, 2016
Here is the best Beatgrid tutorial for any music youtu.be
Res-Q 9:20 PM - 7 April, 2018
Up for a suggestion celebrating 2 years old :)
I cross fingers the new serato version can sort this issue
RiceCube 9:47 PM - 7 April, 2018
+1000! This is my ONLY issue with SDJ. Everything else is great. Will give that workaround a try but we shouldn't have to "work around" something that will help a ton of us!
Lexronn 9:20 PM - 8 April, 2018
You can not edit the bpm of a track without altering the grid. The grid is used to keep tracks in sync. The algorithm that Serato uses to analyze a track works very well, better on new tracks than old.

Editing grids is a skill and a technique you must practice and figure out how they work. We are in a new era of DJing technology has changed and digital music has its internal learning curve.

Look me up on youtube search beatgrids by dj ronn and my videos will help you or anyone else learn and understand the grids work

Keep DJing
DJ Ronn
RiceCube 9:32 PM - 8 April, 2018
You actually can edit the BPM without editing the beatgrid. Someone else mentioned it on another thread. It just requires you to edit the beatgrid first, then use another program to edit the BPM tag. It's outside of Serato so doesn't change the grid. It's crazy that we have to use 3rd party software to do this. And editing beatgrids isn't that hard. You just press x and use the left/right arrow keys... Serato's algorithm doesn't work on tracks that change tempo in the middle of the track.
Lexronn 9:49 PM - 8 April, 2018
Your source may be right I have been editing grids for years and I have never used any third party apps or any external sources. I am not saying it doesn't work it just sounds like an extreme amount of effort just to get a song to sync as you would like.

When I first started learning about grids it was very difficult to even wrap my mind around the concept, I am giving a webinar this month explaining in great detail how they work. The webinar is free I will show anyone wants to know what I have learned. So come join me I would love to offer my assistance. Look me up on meetup dot com under we are the djs.

Keep DJing
DJ Ronn
RiceCube 11:56 PM - 8 April, 2018
No thanks. Don't need webinars. I just need the ability to override the BPMs without the beatgrid resetting. Right now I have to work around this dumb issue using another program because SDJ can't do it.
Lexronn 12:03 AM - 9 April, 2018
Your problem is solved:)
Draven1327 7:03 AM - 11 April, 2018
+1 this has been a long standing issue. it would definitely help organization if we could do this.
DeRajj 6:19 AM - 20 September, 2019
+1
boogiebears 7:46 AM - 25 September, 2019
..the value in the field seems to reflect the bpm of the bulk of the track. i’m in total agreement though. it should reflect the starting bpm, and should also display in a different color or another type of visual marker to denote that there is a tempo change in the track.

+1
DeRajj 3:02 AM - 27 September, 2019
Quote:
..the value in the field seems to reflect the bpm of the bulk of the track. i’m in total agreement though. it should reflect the starting bpm, and should also display in a different color or another type of visual marker to denote that there is a tempo change in the track.

+1

it should reflect the starting bpm, and should also display in a different color or another type of visual marker to denote that there is a tempo change in the track.
+1
Res-Q 10:42 PM - 18 December, 2019
end of the year bump

> The bpm displayed in the bpm column should be the bpm of the beginning of the song (for songs who have various speeds during the song)

> Alternatively let us edit the BPM field without altering the beatgrids we took hours to setup. But imo displaying the starting bpm of the song in the song column is best
STRyk 8:05 AM - 23 December, 2019
+1 I'm with you.
Nice mod will be come.
Res-Q 11:27 PM - 3 January, 2020
new year bump
Draven1327 1:23 AM - 4 January, 2020
Still need this!
Lexronn 1:47 AM - 4 January, 2020
That question is somewhat confusing because grid and the bpm work together. Lets make this simple tell me what track you are working with? What are you trying to do? And based on what you tell me ill tell you if what you are trying to do is going to work and give you the desired results.
Res-Q 3:45 AM - 4 January, 2020
ok, I am going to try to make it less confusing for you. I know grid and bpm work together, hence my request for serato to somehow fix this issue.
Here is a simple transition example, but it's the same with old tracks of reggae, soul, funk, rock, jazz for instance.

Let's say I have a track starting off at 100 bpm for 8 bars, then it switches to 124 for the rest of the song. I beat grid this track accordingly and correctly.

Serato displays the track in the bpm field to be 124.

If I sort tracks by bpm this track will be with the other 124bpm tracks
It should really display 100 as it's the beginning tempo and it should be sorted with the other 100 bpm tracks in my library.
Lexronn 4:17 AM - 4 January, 2020
Ok so this is a two part track. Serato will only read it as 100 bpm or 124 as it can not tell the difference. That where you come in and you are in a difficult task because the bar and measures do not match.

The first 8 bar can be easily gridded because they are constant and consistent in their count. The bars are used to get you to the 124 nice and smooth. Once you get to to transition point up to 124 the count will fall of drastically.

Even if you tried to grid it out and make it work, like i said difficult. Keep this in mind 100 bpm can only be 100 bpm 124 bpm can only be 124 bpm. If you try to gridd the two to work as one that would require warp in the correct location in the track.

Each time you add a warp marker a change take place in the track so you would have to add warp marker to transition it up from 100 to 124. Like I said difficult but the track will always read as 100 or 124 which ever one serato can figure out.

This is not a Serato Fix because it not broke.nor can any algorithm figure it out. Its a warp marker thing.
Res-Q 12:19 AM - 6 January, 2020
There’s no such thing as a 2 part track.
I used the 100-124 transition analogy to make it understandable.
There are millions of songs played by musicians that are not edm or digitally produced or warped redrums sounding robotic.
These songs have a fluctuating bpm. Starting slow, ending fast, whatever... just musicians playing a song.

The Serato bpm column display should reflect the bpm of the START of the song. That’s it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Especially with beatgrid’ed tracks:
If i take the time to beatgrid my songs, then Serato knows the song starts at 100. So just display 100 in the bpm column.
Lexronn 2:15 AM - 6 January, 2020
Well sir you seem to have resolved your question. Thank you for your informative insight. Enjoy your music and happy mixing.

DJ Ronn
Res-Q 3:32 AM - 6 January, 2020
it's not a question, it's a feature suggestion Ronn, all is good :)