Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Pioneer CDJ-2000NXS2 compatibility with Serato DJ

HARO 11:36 PM - 12 March, 2016
Hi - We've been trying to connect a pair of Pioneer CDJ-2000NXS2s to laptop running Serato DJ via USBs (HID mode), but no luck. Each CDJ-2000NXS2 displays "USB MIDI" in "CONTROL MODE (CDJ)" when pressing the "LINK" buttons, and the line drawing of CDJ connected to laptop appears on right side of displays, but unable to bring up deck selections when pressing/turning CDJ's encoders. Please help as there are a number of upcoming gigs (including tonight) that all have CDJ-2000NXS2 for decks. Thanks
pdidy 1:33 AM - 13 March, 2016
that hid feature is NOT available yet. Serato and pioneer are still in the negotiation phase therefore there is no confirmed date this feature will be available.

in other words, you are shit out of luck.
HARO 2:40 AM - 13 March, 2016
Right on. Thanks for info. Was afraid of that. This explains why nearly every Serato user I talk to lately says they are likely moving to Rekordbox DJ. Incompatibility simply can't be tolerated in the field by professionals.
Mr. Goodkat 3:35 AM - 13 March, 2016
Quote:
This explains why nearly every Serato user I talk to lately says they are likely moving to Rekordbox DJ.

how many times do i have to say that pioneer is gonna take over the dvs/digi dj'ing game..........
cwiggy78 2:39 PM - 13 March, 2016
Word
LJ_WOOLSEY 2:54 PM - 13 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
This explains why nearly every Serato user I talk to lately says they are likely moving to Rekordbox DJ.

how many times do i have to say that pioneer is gonna take over the dvs/digi dj'ing game..........

Even more so with this tool to move your library over -> next.audio
Mr. Goodkat 7:57 PM - 13 March, 2016
with pioneer making hardware and software, why would they want to help out traktor and serato? doesnt even make sense.
Joe Fresh 3:58 AM - 14 March, 2016
The new CDJs just came out in February.

Maybe give Pioneer and Serato a little time to work out full, issue-free HID compatibility?

And you can still use control CDs/USBs in the meantime.

Just saying.
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:33 AM - 14 March, 2016
Quote:
Maybe give Pioneer and Serato a little time to work out full, issue-free HID compatibility?

They still haven't done that with ANY CDJs/XDJs yet lol.

Quote:
And you can still use control CDs/USBs in the meantime.

Fuck me but how basic.

For sure support will come at some point, i think the Pioneer XDJ-1000 has been the ONLY player from Pioneer tobe supported in serato from release
Joe Fresh 4:31 PM - 14 March, 2016
Quote:
They still haven't done that with ANY CDJs/XDJs yet lol.

lol well played

Quote:
Fuck me but how basic.

Agreed, HID mode is infinitely better than running control signals off a thumb drive, it's just a workaround until Serato and Pioneer work it out.
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:35 PM - 14 March, 2016
Quote:
Fuck me but how basic.

Agreed, HID mode is infinitely better than running control signals off a thumb drive, it's just a workaround until Serato and Pioneer work it out.
i think using rekordbox is a better work around, not so much if you do video tho.
HARO 7:10 PM - 14 March, 2016
Quote:
it's just a workaround until Serato and Pioneer work it out.

That's just it. Professionals don't have time to wait on this compatibility and can't afford to be dead in the water at gigs due to incompatibility with industry standard CDJ-2000NXS2. There aren't even any assurance support will happen, or timelines to go off of if it were to be supported. Meanwhile, we show up at events with CDJ-2000NXS2s that aren't able to be rewired to use timecode, whereas Rekordbox is showing us true plug n' play capabilities.
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:21 PM - 14 March, 2016
True but then how much money to Serato make of CDJs £0.... Ok i guess you could say if someone only bought some Serato supported hardware to use cdjs they got that sale.

But really Serato are making all there money with bedroom shite. So we just have to wait until they have some spear time to add these CDJs.
HARO 7:27 PM - 14 March, 2016
As someone has has been a diehard user and supporter of Serato since 2004, it really pains me to have to face the realities of all this incompatibility and have to seek something that allows work to keep happening unfettered in the field.
Nathan Looney 4:11 AM - 16 March, 2016
I wonder why you would buy the CDJ-2000 NXS2 to run in HID mode? The new CDJ 2000 is not meant to be used as a controller. You will not have all the features and you would or have spent a lot of extra money for nothing.

don't get me wrong, the new CDJ 2000 NXS2 has some cool features and upgrades. However, if you are going to use it with Serato DJ in HID mode when available, you are leaving a lot of features on the table.

I am still waiting for them to get the moving waveform on the CDJ NXS in HID mode.
Mr. Goodkat 4:20 AM - 16 March, 2016
Quote:
don't get me wrong, the new CDJ 2000 NXS2 has some cool features and upgrades. However, if you are going to use it with Serato DJ in HID mode when available, you are leaving a lot of features on the table.

if it isnt available or implemented, how would you know any of this?
The Return of Dj Sparky 5:51 AM - 16 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

That's just it. Professionals don't have time to wait on this compatibility and can't afford to be dead in the water at gigs due to incompatibility

that's why the pros research and make sure a product is compatible before they buy them
HARO 12:05 PM - 16 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

That's just it. Professionals don't have time to wait on this compatibility and can't afford to be dead in the water at gigs due to incompatibility

that's why the pros research and make sure a product is compatible before they buy them

Perhaps you missed this part, Sparky, which a key indicator/qualifier as to who's buying them : "at gigs"

And perhaps you missed this part too which also explains who's buying them:

Quote:
Meanwhile, we show up at events with CDJ-2000NXS2s that aren't able to be rewired to use timecode...

And perhaps you missed this part too which also explains who's buying them:

Quote:
As someone has has been a diehard user and supporter of Serato since 2004, it really pains me to have to face the realities of all this incompatibility and have to seek something that allows work to keep happening unfettered in the field.

In other words, Sparky, we Serato users aren't buying NXS2 gear, but we are starting to encounter them at events and venues out in the field and we are unable to use them.

Hope the reposting of this information helps clarify the situation for you.
deejdave 4:00 PM - 16 March, 2016
Lotta speaking for yourselves going on here. Bottom line the reasons why you mate want this are your own. Not every dj likes to limit themselves to any one solution.

The reason why you or anyone would purchase these players is because you are looking for top quality with the most features and fewest limitations. Serato support is just ONE of the many features one would hope for. Keep in mind though the support for the cdj-2000nexus mk1's came over a year after they were released.
HARO 4:06 PM - 16 March, 2016
^^^ Not sure who that's for. If me, I'm not purchasing NXS2s, rather starting to increasingly encounter them in the field and discovering incompatibility with Serato (unless using timecode of course, but like I said, that is becoming increasingly unable to do).
Joe Fresh 6:00 AM - 17 March, 2016
Serato has said that they are working with Pioneer to bring HID support to the NXS2.
It is going to happen. Nothing we can do but wait for it to be released.

Audio engineers at clubs/venues that have NXS2's should know that they will need to provide Serato DJs an alternative solution. If the club can afford $2200 CDJs, there's a good chance they'll have a Rane SL4 or something lying around somewhere so you can use timecode. It's a good idea to talk to your booker or the club manager to make sure they have what you need for the night.

My philosophy is to be ready for anything when going to a gig. There have been countless nights that I've walked into a DJ booth and some equipment was missing, or broken, or not set up correctly, or not updated to the necessary firmware, whatever. The club won't care what the problem is, they just want you to do your job. That's why I bring USB cables, RCA cables, flash drives with music, extra vinyl, extra styli, timecode CDs, anything I could possibly need to play the gig.
pdidy 7:11 AM - 17 March, 2016
Quote:
Serato has said that they are working with Pioneer to bring HID support to the NXS2.

Audio engineers at clubs/venues that have NXS2's should know that they will need to provide Serato DJs an alternative solution. If the club can afford $2200 CDJs, there's a good chance they'll have a Rane SL4 or something lying around somewhere so you can use timecode. It's a good idea to talk to your booker or the club manager to make sure they have what you need for the night.

My philosophy is to be ready for anything when going to a gig. There have been countless nights that I've walked into a DJ booth and some equipment was missing, or broken, or not set up correctly, or not updated to the necessary firmware, whatever. The club won't care what the problem is, they just want you to do your job. That's why I bring USB cables, RCA cables, flash drives with music, extra vinyl, extra styli, timecode CDs, anything I could possibly need to play the gig.

You sound like me, be ready no excuses.
HARO 12:36 PM - 17 March, 2016
Quote:
It's a good idea to talk to your booker or the club manager to make sure they have what you need for the night. My philosophy is to be ready for anything when going to a gig.

Did, just like I always do and have for well over two decades. That's how I knew there would be DJM-900NXS2 & CDJ-2000NXS2s. I too share your philosophy on preparedness, which is the very reason why I tested Serato on NXS2 gear prior to gig (hence this thread to begin with). The solution so far has been to switch from Serato to Rekordbox. Not really happy about it since I've been using Serato since 2004, but Rekordbox is working and NXS2 compatibility is vital.
kbscholar 6:14 PM - 24 March, 2016
Quote:

THIS^^^

Advice from a professional.
pdidy 6:22 PM - 24 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
It's a good idea to talk to your booker or the club manager to make sure they have what you need for the night. My philosophy is to be ready for anything when going to a gig.

Did, just like I always do and have for well over two decades. That's how I knew there would be DJM-900NXS2 & CDJ-2000NXS2s.

Somethings not right here, why are you not being provided exactly what you require ?
HARO 6:24 PM - 24 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Did, just like I always do and have for well over two decades. That's how I knew there would be DJM-900NXS2 & CDJ-2000NXS2s.

Somethings not right here, why are you not being provided exactly what you require ?

Provided by whom?
pdidy 6:27 PM - 24 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Provided by whom?

The promoter or person who hired you.
HARO 6:34 PM - 24 March, 2016
Because this is what the venue has installed and they are not going to change out their equipment for the minority of DJs who are unable to use it when the overwhelming majority is able to use what they view as "industry standard" equipment. Sucks for Serato users, but I understand their position. No worries, problem solved for now with Rekordbox. In fact, after learning of all the incompatibility issues Serato has with newer equipment that is becoming ubiquitous, combined with the introduction of Rekordbox DJ, it's not not hard to see how RBDJ is poised to become "industry standard" software as well.
pdidy 6:39 PM - 24 March, 2016
OK so it's a "use what we have or fuck off" situation....hmmm
kbscholar 6:41 PM - 24 March, 2016
Quote:

That is sort of a sad situation. Most promoters/managers are typically accommodating to the talent that plays at their venues.
HARO 6:44 PM - 24 March, 2016
Quote:

Yes unfortunately, and we're finding that stance is becoming more and more common in the field. Somewhat understandable considering how many issues arise from people moving equipment around, rewiring, etc. by DJs who really don't know what they're doing. The liability has become to great for venues to deal with it so they are installing "industry standard" gear and locking it down. This is also understandable considering the fact that the overwhelming majority of DJs are able to use Pioneer gear just fine. Trust me, I'm not happy about it, but it's the reality we face.
KlausMogensen 5:38 PM - 26 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

That's just it. Professionals don't have time to wait on this compatibility and can't afford to be dead in the water at gigs due to incompatibility with industry standard CDJ-2000NXS2. There aren't even any assurance support will happen, or timelines to go off of if it were to be supported. Meanwhile, we show up at events with CDJ-2000NXS2s that aren't able to be rewired to use timecode, whereas Rekordbox is showing us true plug n' play capabilities.

It's time for everybody to move away from Pioneer. Actually it's long overdue
deejdave 5:52 PM - 26 March, 2016
Very much the opposite of what is happening. There is also not one device even remotely as capable as the pioneer cdj for my needs.
HARO 6:35 PM - 27 March, 2016
Quote:
It's time for everybody to move away from Pioneer. Actually it's long overdue

Quote:
Very much the opposite of what is happening.

Same observation here as well. Pioneer isn't going anywhere; only acquiring more and more marketshare and users.
deejdave 7:31 PM - 27 March, 2016
Nobody is forced to join the pioneer party but two things are very apparent. They make some badass hardware and they are by no means slowing down. Matter of fact they are now looking to make waves in the software world and are seemingly succeeding at this as well. Serato still has my heart though and furthermore I hope Rane, Allen & Heath, and even mixars etc. bump it up a notch. In other words it's not like I am blindly rooting for pioneer I am just calling it like it is. Is it time for something new ............. Sure but when someone is saying pioneer is the only ones getting it right the normal response is probably not "time to dump pioneer" lol
HARO 10:04 PM - 27 March, 2016
Agreed. Love Serato, but incompatibility with gear that in ubiquitous in field is simply unacceptable.
Joe Fresh 2:19 AM - 15 June, 2016
This issue was featured today on DJ TechTools: djtechtools.com
HARO 12:42 PM - 15 June, 2016
FWIW, the MP2014, MP2015, and DJM-900NXS2 are all working and sounding FANTASTIC when paired with Rekordbox DJ running through CDJ-2000NXS2s. No external interfaces, extra cabling, mid-set re-wires, etc required. Simple USB connection from decks to laptop. Boom. Easy peasy. Problem solved. Finally, a no-nonsense compatibility solution for professionals.
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:37 PM - 15 June, 2016
Just about to advise one of the bars I Dj in to invest in some decks. Even though I'm a Rane/TT user I'm planning to tell them to get Pioneer CDJs and a Nexus mixer.

Will still tell them to get the NXS2 as I'm pretty sure they wouldn't mind me swapping mixers when I play,but imagine telling them to invest in that gear and I end up not using any of it.

Best to shut up for now as I'm not ready to ditch Serato yet as I do videos and I like Mix Emergency.

If ME works with Rekordbox then we have a nice problem.

I should definitely practice on rekordbox a bit more to start familiarising myself with it. I mean the laptop performance version.
Nathan Looney 12:57 AM - 8 July, 2016
Rekord Box now does video
Marine 6:08 AM - 8 July, 2016
rekord box video is not up to par with mixemergency. And not having syphon output it has a long way to go
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:25 AM - 8 July, 2016
It's not even upto par with Serato Video (apart from it has a live camera feature)