Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Do i need a business permit to start a mobile dj business and how?

ernie 5:04 AM - 26 February, 2016
I just want to know how can i apply for a mobile dj business permit? and how it's called what criteria of business? thanks!
Ragman 5:43 AM - 26 February, 2016
For tax, liability and branding purposes, you can create an LLC for your DJ business. I went through LegalZoom.com to do mine because they keep up with all the legal docs for your LLC and take care of your yearly legal obligations. However you can do it yourself through your states gov website (usually the Secretary of State link for your state). You can also apply for an Federal EIN for your business that way you avoid using your personal SSN for your DJ business. Also remember, Google is your friend.
Ragman 5:48 AM - 26 February, 2016
By the way, you can have a DJ business without creating an LLC or obtaining an EIN, but if you know this is going to be your primary source of income and you are going to do this on a full time basis, going the LLC and EIN route would be very smart. And I forgot to mention you will need to acquire insurance for your business as well.

PS - This info is for U.S. DJs only.
The Return of Dj Sparky 7:07 AM - 26 February, 2016
you might want a new logo too if your going to register yourself as a business
ernie 4:43 PM - 26 February, 2016
Quote:
For tax, liability and branding purposes, you can create an LLC for your DJ business. I went through LegalZoom.com to do mine because they keep up with all the legal docs for your LLC and take care of your yearly legal obligations. However you can do it yourself through your states gov website (usually the Secretary of State link for your state). You can also apply for an Federal EIN for your business that way you avoid using your personal SSN for your DJ business. Also remember, Google is your friend.

Thank you for your help, because my wife is worried that if i do a mobile dj business like once a week i will get in trouble without a business license.. or the IRS will get back to me.. i already have a insurance liability..
dj jamalot 9:50 PM - 26 February, 2016
i run mine under a sole proprietor no license needed 1099's just file them with your taxes i write off all equipment purchases, mileage, cell phone, advertising, repairs, works great for me...
DJ GOODFOOT 5:58 AM - 27 February, 2016
Sole P works well and is cheap/easy, but you personally are liable for any injuries or lawsuits against the company so if someone climbs on a speaker and it falls on them, or they trip on a cable they are going to go after your personal assets.
dj jamalot 6:29 AM - 27 February, 2016
I keep a bat with me to beat them off my gear I tape all wires and carry a million dollar liability policy that should cover me...
Rosstepher 5:32 PM - 11 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for your help, because my wife is worried that if i do a mobile dj business like once a week i will get in trouble without a business license.. or the IRS will get back to me.. i already have a insurance liability..

I'd definitely suggest operating under an LLC, it keeps your personal assets and business assets separate in the case of a lawsuit against your business. Another added layer of protection is Insurance. I got mine through these guys.
www.insurancecanopy.com

COVER YOUR ASS...ets.