Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Ram or Cache.. ?

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
namron 12:39 AM - 7 July, 2004
Hi,

How important is the Ram and the cache from a notebook for the usw with ssl?
Would it be better when i upgrade my notebook (ibook g4 800) from 640mb ram to for example 1gb ram? could i put the usb buffer after this upgrad from 8 to for example under 5?
and how important is the cache?

Thx guys.
Serato
Josh 12:51 AM - 7 July, 2004
I would say the cache would be more important (since you already have quite a bit of ram) the cache will increase the efficiency of the cpu. CPU power is the factor really affecting the possible buffer size, since with a lower buffer size SSL needs cpu available sooner, i.e. it has to have finished the work it was doing, therefore faster/more efficient is better.
namron 1:22 PM - 7 July, 2004
all right thx for the answer so maybe i will buy a new laptop.
What laptop could u prefer for usb buffer 0 ? with no sound and tempareture problems? no centrino pls cause they are to expensive i mean.

so long...
Serato
Josh 1:43 AM - 8 July, 2004
Well we have a few Toshiba Satellite P4 ~2.4 Ghz and they work great on low buffer settings...

It depends, what is your intended use for this system? professional gigging with SSL or more like a general workhorse loaded up with MS Office, Logic Platinum and GTA 3?
namron 5:22 PM - 8 July, 2004
professional gigging with SSL in clubs and so... and very often fast scratches ... the notebook is only for SSL !
namron 1:09 AM - 13 July, 2004
@ Josh how is the correct name of your toshiba notebooks??
satellite A30 or what?

thx
Serato
Josh 1:34 AM - 13 July, 2004
They're A10's I think, quite inexpensive and work great with SSL.
namron 1:51 AM - 13 July, 2004
and the usb buffer size u use? and how long do you taste the stability of these notebooks in hours at one time?

thx for answer
Serato
Josh 2:04 AM - 13 July, 2004
minimum buffer settings...

I demoed SSL at the NAMM show in January (obviously pre release versions) and the laptops were in contant use for the whole day usually about 9 hours at a time... ^_^
namron 2:15 AM - 13 July, 2004
grml nice... so if my cooling pad doesn't help in my case... i'll buy a satellite notebook...it seems that they are one of the best for this programm.. thanks for the answers man :D