DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Breathing while scratching

Mr_Wilson 10:14 PM - 21 February, 2016
Hi just wondering how you guys breath properly while scratching? I always end up holding my breath and going bright red.
Does breathing properly help with phrasing?
sumoJr 11:48 PM - 21 February, 2016
breathing helps with life
DJ Alkemy 12:45 AM - 22 February, 2016
Quote:
Hi just wondering how you guys breath properly while scratching? I always end up holding my breath and going bright red.

WTF
DJ Reflex 2:14 AM - 22 February, 2016
I always bring a snorkel.
DJ Irv 3:55 AM - 22 February, 2016
It's not like firing a high powered riffle at small target from a great distance. Breathing has no real impact but, do remember to breath.
Mr_Wilson 11:53 AM - 22 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

WTF

Cheers mate
Logisticalstyles 1:28 PM - 22 February, 2016
Quote:

I understand what the OP means. I do the same thing, especially when I'm in front of an audience. I don't turn red though but I do notice that after a bit of intense scratching that I have a tendency to hold my breath.
Mr_Wilson 1:35 PM - 22 February, 2016
Quote:

Sumo you must have a boring life.

You take time out to read, then reply to posts that don't interest you.
DJ Irv 3:18 PM - 22 February, 2016
Quote:

To people who scratch the question is and I'm sorry for using this word but I couldn't find a better one - stupid.

But, I get it. Your new to scratching so you don't know. Lucicly for you any and every scratch you want to learn is on youtube so you will catch up to older heads much faster then before we had instruction videos.

In this case YouTube is your friend. Start with basic scratches and work your way up.
Mr_Wilson 3:56 PM - 22 February, 2016
Wow patronising American. You don't know when I started. I've been scratching on and off for 20 years and am 40 years old. you knob head.

I only came on here to ask a question out of interest. If you don't care then f#ck off and stop wasting your own time.
Gio Alex 4:18 PM - 22 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

WTF

LOL
Gio Alex 4:20 PM - 22 February, 2016
Quote:
Wow patronising American. You don't know when I started. I've been scratching on and off for 20 years and am 40 years old. you knob head.

I only came on here to ask a question out of interest. If you don't care then f#ck off and stop wasting your own time.

What does being American have to do with it though?
Dj Rehab 4:29 PM - 22 February, 2016
You can do breathing drills similar to yoga or meditating. I understand what you're asking, especially if you are djing a battle or something.
sumoJr 4:31 PM - 22 February, 2016
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

my life is good, I just got back from over seas. recently purchased a few investment properties and waiting on a new dog. so nothing near boring
you seem uptight, typical Europeans.. if you dont know how to breath 20 years into scratching you must be near retarded, this type of behavior is often found in beginners or children.

and breathing helps with life, brain needs what oxygen.. brain is the center of thought and action. thought and action are paramount to creativity. creativity is needed to scratch

post a video, after that I can fully give you advice
Mr_Wilson 4:54 PM - 22 February, 2016
I honestly appreciate any feedback.

I don't really go on forums anymore for this reason. because of the instant childish backlash. That usually isn't even related or helpful. I've at least learned the tone of this forum.

Over and out.
DJ Irv 5:10 PM - 22 February, 2016
I was trying to be nice. I thought we were helping a person new to scratching. The rant might be directed at me since Sumo is our neighbor to the north.

You asked a question expected from someone who would have just started so I assumed you are a newbie.
The question was stupid so people called you on it. I am sure you are now more embarrassed you asked it realizing how stupid it was and that's why you resulted to tough talk online. It's an online forum Be EZ. Some of these cats tour and when you see them it could be awkward.
O.B.1 9:04 PM - 22 February, 2016
I also understand what the OP is asking. For example, when practicing rigorous scratching routines/exercises one can often tense up over long periods of concentration and forget to breathe properly. (Breathing becomes shallow/nonexistent)
Another example I can think of is playing the drums at high tempos. While attempting to increase speed I find it's easier to go faster if I actually relax and remember to breathe, rather than try to "power through it" (getting the necessary oxygen to the muscle groups used) But occasionally I still catch myself trying too hard and it can adversely affect performance.
But ultimately it comes down to muscle memory learned by repetition/practice over time, once the movements become fluid and can be executed with minimal effort from mind and body.
Mr_Wilson 9:14 PM - 22 February, 2016
Quote:
I also understand what the OP is asking. For example, when practicing rigorous scratching routines/exercises one can often tense up over long periods of concentration and forget to breathe properly. (Breathing becomes shallow/nonexistent)
Another example I can think of is playing the drums at high tempos. While attempting to increase speed I find it's easier to go faster if I actually relax and remember to breathe, rather than try to "power through it" (getting the necessary oxygen to the muscle groups used) But occasionally I still catch myself trying too hard and it can adversely affect performance.
But ultimately it comes down to muscle memory learned by repetition/practice over time, once the movements become fluid and can be executed with minimal effort from mind and body.

Thabks OB1
That's what I was meaning. Thanks. During Long intense scratching sentences this can happen. I've even seen mixmaster mikes face look likes it's going to pop and he's a grand master.
Vekked 1:45 AM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:

hahaha I also used to breathe in every time I did a reverse stab to the point that I would almost hyperventilate if I did a bunch of them in a row... you get over it eventually
southernplayalisticaddilacmuzik 5:26 AM - 23 February, 2016
Rule #1 on Serato forum: Neva.....eva........eva eva eva eva.........ask anything....remotely close to what can be construed as a stupid question. And on top of that get defensive at the replies. You will be eaten alive by the vultures. Lol!

Good day mate.
Mr_Wilson 9:57 AM - 23 February, 2016
I was stupid enough to fogey what it's like.
Say you were in conversation with a real person and asked a question. And they proceeded to just blurt out sarcastic comments. You'd either walk away or take them up on it.

It's a bit like trying to play a multiplayer game and it's just full of 15 year olds calling you a gay Jew over and over.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:40 PM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:
Wow patronising American. You don't know when I started. I've been scratching on and off for 20 years .

Thats a long time to be holding your breathe
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:42 PM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:
I was stupid .

/thread
Mr_Wilson 4:10 PM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:
Rule #1 on Serato forum: Neva.....eva........eva eva eva eva.........ask anything....remotely close to what can be construed as a stupid question. And on top of that get defensive at the replies. You will be eaten alive by the vultures. Lol!

Good day mate.

Thanks. This appears to be true. I thought forums were for for all kinds of questions. That's what a forum is.
Gio Alex 4:30 PM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:
Thanks. This appears to be true. I thought this was the djtechtools forum.

Yeah, things are a little different here. It's a different beast. You'll love it! Let the hate flow through you.

It's like showing up in prison and saying "I'm new here and I have no friends." They wolves will devour you.
southernplayalisticaddilacmuzik 5:06 PM - 23 February, 2016
^^^exactly.

Also, Mr Wilson, don't now go running to the djtechforum and complain about how the Serato Forums have nothing but a bunch of cotton headed ninny muggins because word will get back, then they'll link up the thread from the other forum, and just bash you for days...even weeks....and then 4 years later that thread will surface again and the bashing will continue for weeks on end.

***Dramatic Hunger Games announcer voice***
"Welcome TO...........THE.......Serato FOOOOORUUUUUUUM!!!
Gio Alex 5:18 PM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:
and then 4 years later that thread will surface again and the bashing will continue for weeks on end.

I will second that, I've seen it happen. You DO NOT wanna be in the hall of fame.

Quote:

THIS!
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:19 PM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
and then 4 years later that thread will surface again and the bashing will continue for weeks on end.

I will second that, I've seen it happen. You DO NOT wanna be in the hall of fame.

Quote:

THIS!

Yup this is all true, mr w your best bet is to just quit djing now. Just drop the career and move on, its all over now anyway.
djcrap 8:29 PM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Wow patronising American. You don't know when I started. I've been scratching on and off for 20 years .

Thats a long time to be holding your breathe

I see what you did there. Lol
djcrap 8:33 PM - 23 February, 2016
Only time i hold my breath is if i fart whilest scratching.
Mr_Wilson 9:42 PM - 23 February, 2016
If I was a touring DJ, I probably wouldn't be scouring forums looking to hate.

I have no problem with the forum. I can't wait to ask another question I've been wondering for years.

If you forward sratched a backward scratch while the deck was playing backwards what kind of flare would that be?
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:04 PM - 23 February, 2016
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:34 PM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:

You wouldnt be holding your lbreathe either

Quote:

If you forward sratched a backward scratch while the deck was playing backwards what kind of flare would that be?

I dont know but I can tell you it wouldnt be enough to satisy the bare minimum flare requiremets of a Chotskys
DJ Reflex 11:03 PM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:
I dont know but I can tell you it wouldnt be enough to satisy the bare minimum flare requiremets of a Chotskys

37 - last time I counted...
djcrap 1:54 AM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:

I have no problem with the forum. I can't wait to ask another question I've been wondering for years.

If you are really serious about scratching just enroll inthis online school. They have a forum and also all you questions will find answers in the tutorial videos

artistworks.com