Serato Blog Comments

Comments for the Serato Blog

Should DJs Stop Playing Soundcloud/Youtube Rips?

8:52 PM, 10 Jan 2016
Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
Gorian 10:04 PM - 10 January, 2016
I rarely (pretty much never) play anything with a bitrate below 320Kbits. 99% of my audiofiles are 320Kbits, and the last percent is .flac-files.
DJ NickT 10:05 PM - 10 January, 2016
to be or not to be ! its like 320+kbps or not 320kbps !
dj kevin 6:33 PM - 11 January, 2016
i totally agree u 100%%%%%%
dj kevin 6:34 PM - 11 January, 2016
Quote:
i totally agree with u 100%%%%%%
underwaterman 4:42 AM - 12 January, 2016
It's shameful they do.
blulabel 10:35 PM - 12 January, 2016
Quote:
to be or not to be ! its like 320+kbps or not 320kbps !

Choosing to source your tracks legally versus illegally is nothing like 320+kps or not 320kbs.

That being said for those who have grown up never or rarely having paid for music, or for those content with lossless files with questionable quality, I doubt they will ever stop. Entitlement syndrome for some perhaps?

Those who rip music from websites or use torrents to down load it for free are in it for their own gain. Any DJ that cared about the audience as much as they do themselves would not present a sub par product to the public. If I can hear artifacts during your set or hear you playing poor quality files then I am not going to respect you as a DJ, because you don’t respect me enough to play a track how it was intended to be heard (even if you paid for the tracks). So if you take the time to find quality tracks both musically and sonically you will be a better DJ because of it, and yes most often you will have to pay for quality.
DJ Durtybeats 11:42 PM - 19 January, 2016
I agree, and this coming from someone with over 4000 vinyl that i had to fly, drive, bus and train all over the US to find, and needless to say, you cant download and steal vinyl (without jail time lol) and on average each record was about $10 and you were lucky if you got more than 1 track with a few versions on a record.

So, i am a big supporter of music, and support others with their business. I buy movies, programs, and music.

I buy about $100+ worth of tracks a month on Beatport (as long as theres tracks i find that i like) as a matter of fact, just for a friends Bday party i bought 75 new tracks (average 2.49 ea) .

And why? Is it because of Quality in sound? well partially, but its actually because of a simple rule i learned when i was little.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Being a producer, and touring DJ, i expect to get paid, for people to not steal from me, and to be able to make a living off my talent, as others want to make a living off my talent as well.

And so, one hand washes the other. Respect Given, Respect Earned.

Its Not a Quality question, its a Character Question.
-DB
DJ BREED 1:43 PM - 23 January, 2016
GET YOUR MUZIC AS U CAN!!! FOR 20 YEARS WHEN I WAS YOUNG. I PAID 3 TIMES MORE FOR MUZIC THAN I MADE... I HAVE OVER 10,000 RECORDS. SO I TAKE FULL ADVANTAGE OF TECHNOLOGY... DON'T NOBODY SPONSOR ME OR NONE OF THE CREATORS WITH EQUIPMENT LIKE SOME OF LATE START AZZ DJ's WHO HAVE CAME IN OUR GAME WITH SYNC, EFFECTS & CONTROLLERS AND MADE IT HARD FOR THE LOWER SCALE DJ's TO COMPETE.... WHAT IN THE HELL DO YALL KNOW ABOUT DJ'n WITH CASSETTES... JUST FOR THE RECORD.... MY FIRST CUZ WAS MC BREED... SO WE CAME FROM MY BASEMENT TO WORLD WIDE RECOGNITION....
DJ Durtybeats 4:08 PM - 23 January, 2016
Quote:
GET YOUR MUZIC AS U CAN!!! FOR 20 YEARS WHEN I WAS YOUNG. I PAID 3 TIMES MORE FOR MUZIC THAN I MADE... I HAVE OVER 10,000 RECORDS. SO I TAKE FULL ADVANTAGE OF TECHNOLOGY... DON'T NOBODY SPONSOR ME OR NONE OF THE CREATORS WITH EQUIPMENT LIKE SOME OF LATE START AZZ DJ's WHO HAVE CAME IN OUR GAME WITH SYNC, EFFECTS & CONTROLLERS AND MADE IT HARD FOR THE LOWER SCALE DJ's TO COMPETE.... WHAT IN THE HELL DO YALL KNOW ABOUT DJ'n WITH CASSETTES... JUST FOR THE RECORD.... MY FIRST CUZ WAS MC BREED... SO WE CAME FROM MY BASEMENT TO WORLD WIDE RECOGNITION....

Ok, so what youre saying is because you werent good enough to make money to gross more than you spent, and because you werent good enough to have sponsors believe in you because they dont see you being worth an investment, and because you used cassette tapes because times were hard.....that justifies robbing people?

Sorry but all i hear is "i take my problems out on others and i am an ignorant thief"

No wonder no one got behind your djing.
DJ BREED 6:10 PM - 23 January, 2016
Just for the record COWBOY... For speaking! It's apperant you know nothing about the business of music. People like you on the outside really believe you are paying a artist!!! I been on tours to Canada, London, Germany & throughout America! 90% of every artist I delt with got pimped a large portion of the career! Your paying some Caucasian or Italian that don't even have conversation for HIS ARTIST LIL MAN..... U ONLY THINK U KNOW. U KNOW WHAT U HEAR!!! I know facts local DJ.... Be happy with your Mac & backpack... Go to utube and pull up MC BREED... YES THAT IS A GOVERMENT... FOREVER BREED FAMILY WINNING
DJ Durtybeats 6:20 PM - 23 January, 2016
Hahaha, i know nothing about the business of music? Hmm, thats why ive worked with the top artists in the world, own my own talent agency, can be found on IMDB having not only acted but also cast movies starring actors such as sigourney weaver, denzel washington etc.
Having toured as an artist and headlined shows from coast to coast, and just 2 nights ago headlined an event with over 150,000 people in attendance. next month ill be in VA
The IL, then LA. So yea, i guess im local because the world IS my playground. And thats not to mention the over seas tours ive headlined and also co-toured on.

But the assumption you made, rather than asking questions as to not show your true ignorance (which was solidified by the snide name calling) about me saying the the artist gets the money. I NEVER said WHO gets the money. I said it was stealing.
It doesnt matter WHOS money it is, your a low life thief who wants to make money off of someone elses time, energy and talent. You deserve to be in jail.

Its also sad that you mention race. So youre also a racist piece of trash and give good people of color a bad name when you speak like that.
You really should stop stealing. If you are half of what you claim to be, then you would have no problem paying for things. Sounds to me like youre exactly whats wrong with society and i hope you do not live up to your name, because breeding comes with responsibility of which you are lacking.
DJ BREED 6:51 PM - 23 January, 2016
Let me end this by saying I I'm IN MANY RECORD pools, DJ clubs and been in and around the game for 30 years. I don't have to steal no ones MUZIC!!!! I own a 6 digit electric company. My beef is clear... U do things the way u do things. I pay for BPM, BEAT JUNKIES and I'm in 6 more free servers cause I DJ at the radio station. Cause it's a past time!!!! Some like u that need this COOL... OTHERS WHO can't AFFORD IT.... LIKE I SAID BEFORE U SPOKE GET IT HOW U CAN... I WONDER IF U MADE 1 penny off each one of the 150,000 u claim...THIS SHIT DOESN'T MAKE OR BREAK ME CHAMP!!! ITS MY HOOBY YOUNGIN....
DJ Durtybeats 7:12 PM - 23 January, 2016
I make a good living off my career. Flights, hotels, food, money in pocket.
But as i stated, if its not meant to be free, and you dont pay for it, its stealing. Obviously not talking record pools etc.

And it being a hobby hold no weight in the point of the convo.
Some people build racecars as a hobby, so because they dont race em, does that mean they should get the same parts for free?
Smh anyways im goin back to enjoying being snowed in and working in my studio on these new records.
mister_wilson 5:44 AM - 25 January, 2016
1) 320 Kbps in and of itself doesn't mean anything. If the source material wasn't recorded using high quality equipment and it didn't stay in a lossless or near lossless format up until the time it got to the "deejay", then it's just inefficient use of drive space.

2) Dj city and several record pools have no idea if the files they have were ever encoded at lower bit rates, and it would take a fairmy sophisticated algorithm to tell if there is a need for 320 Kbps (or higher quality).

3) DJ's who play on original vinyl are getting lower quality than 128 Kbps recording unless they are playing with a highly calibrated turntables stylus, and a piece of vinyl with no damage and preferable a 12 Inch single which has less distortion due to density of grooves

4) the assertion that multiple transcoding results in further loss of information (if all done at the same but rate) is poor science and I am surprised the folks at serato okayed this article because certainly they have engineers who know how what a load of bull that argument is (although I get why you dumb things down for most deejays who don't have enough tech savvy to understand the nuances)

5) nothin replaces ears. If a song sounds good (whether due to the music and or quality) are number one job is recognizing that with our ears not with looking at an id3 tag in a file. If I like a song and the only place I can find it is on soundcloud...oh well. (Note, I have been know to go into audacity and tweak the files I rip to brighten it to my own liking). And sometimes a song is just good. If I follow the logic i. The video above I would never play a recording from the analog days (or even golden era hip hop when cats like Pete Rock squeezed everything they could out of an SP12 to the point of really distorting their samples).

6) good deejays know. Be careful of a 6 minute commercial.
Re57art 3:43 PM - 2 February, 2016
actaully you can easly find 320 kbps files in torrent sites... so I don't got why if u are doing something illegal u should pick bad quality encoding files...
I'd say that is just a moral thang: if u dig a bit u can find high quality files also in illegals ways.
But, obviusly if even pro djs don't buy originals records is pretty sad.
ElahMentalWords 4:41 AM - 3 March, 2016
Public or private is the real issue in my opinion, for a disk jockey.If you're flipping a track for the club or festival it should be purchased. If you're at the house trying out variations or miscellaneous then it likely falls under the Fair Use Act for critique.

If it is NOT on display for the general public, it would be considered reviewing for professional use. When time comes to reveal said track to the public it should have producers quality in mind, but that's just my 2 cents worth.
DJ HELLA DOSE 11:55 PM - 7 April, 2017
Your not a real DJ unless you use vinyl anyways that what they say but who is anybody to determine who is in who isn't a real dj smh some nerve but I do feel a 100% about the quality of music but I'm not going to go as far as to say who is in who isn't a DJ because so..
Gottarocket 10:36 AM - 22 September, 2017
Sorry guys, since this is a related thread about YouTube , i post my question here and want a feasible answer from you guys. When I tried playing a YouTube video in VLC on Windows 7, " VLC is unable to open the MRL" popped up on my screen. The YouTube video was uploaded by from my PS4 recordings 3 days ago. In this tutorial, as you can see "www.videoconverterfactory.com, it mentions I must convert the video codec and formats for a better compatibility and only in this way can the YouTube video be played again. But i do not really want to download a third-party program or convert any video parameters or launch a video format conversion because I know to convert video's types always means an output quality lost or frame rate dropping. My video output is 1080p and 30fps(I did not test it but I think it is smooth enough) which I think is quite amazing. So, I want to ask you is video conversion the only possible way to solve the YouTube MRL issue? Is there another better alternative way to handle this problem??
MP Andy 12:41 AM - 27 December, 2017
Quote:
Hahaha, i know nothing about the business of music? Hmm, thats why ive worked with the top artists in the world, own my own talent agency, can be found on IMDB having not only acted but also cast movies starring actors such as sigourney weaver, denzel washington etc.
Having toured as an artist and headlined shows from coast to coast, and just 2 nights ago headlined an event with over 150,000 people in attendance. next month ill be in VA
The IL, then LA. So yea, i guess im local because the world IS my playground. And thats not to mention the over seas tours ive headlined and also co-toured on.

But the assumption you made, rather than asking questions as to not show your true ignorance (which was solidified by the snide name calling) about me saying the the artist gets the money. I NEVER said WHO gets the money. I said it was stealing.
It doesnt matter WHOS money it is, your a low life thief who wants to make money off of someone elses time, energy and talent. You deserve to be in jail.

Its also sad that you mention race. So youre also a racist piece of trash and give good people of color a bad name when you speak like that.
You really should stop stealing. If you are half of what you claim to be, then you would have no problem paying for things. Sounds to me like youre exactly whats wrong with society and i hope you do not live up to your name, because breeding comes with responsibility of which you are lacking.

Wow! I'm impressed you did all those things. I can sure use a mentor like you.
dangreen 5:53 AM - 15 November, 2018
if you want to import music files from one platform to other then use musconv.com