Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Is Vestax making a come back ???

Ragman 5:28 PM - 10 January, 2016
I just saw this article from Mark Settle on the DJWORX web site. Man I really hope he is on to something. If Vestax is making a come back the question remains if they will put out new firmware drivers for beloved gear like the VCI series controllers. Most importantly I hope they don't do a $4000 middle finger to the DJ community (ala new Technics 1200).

>>> djworx.com
dibb 11:24 PM - 11 January, 2016
well, according to the rumors it's a 400000 yen, equals to $3400 premium mixer they will release.. although rather expensive I wouldn't call it a middle finger.

more than happy to see them coming back (if rumors are true of course)..
Ragman 4:01 AM - 12 January, 2016
My post is not based on rumors, but from reputable source via DJWorx. $4000 USD for the limited edition as well as the regular model has been confirmed. Sorry, but in my opinion, that's a middle finger. Especially considering the petitions that was signed by DJs worldwide that Technics knew about.

>>> djworx.com
dibb 4:36 PM - 12 January, 2016
Well, we have the same source then. Vestax's return is still a rumor though IMO, since not officially announced (but one that's likely to be true fortunately).

BTW, I was referring to the alleged price of the Vestax mixer not being a middle finger (although nearly $4K). I was not referring to the new SL1200. :)
Ragman 5:20 PM - 12 January, 2016
Yeah, apologies. I reread your post. ;-)
dibb 7:23 PM - 12 January, 2016
no worries man.. ;)

to a certain degree I agree with your middle finger of Technics comment. maybe their new decks are worth their money, maybe not, but it's out of reach for a lot of dj's for sure..
Davideon 8:34 PM - 12 January, 2016
There will be no drivers for old gear
dibb 10:37 PM - 12 January, 2016
That's indeed not very likely to happen, but how are you so sure? Inside intel?

Still very happy with my VCI-400 - if that's considered to be "old" gear. Don't need firmware / dvs upgrade. I would like to see new controllers / mixers from Vestax though..
Cham 9:38 PM - 13 January, 2016
Don't you need firmware or drivers upgrade to make the VCI stable with El Capitan? If so, all older Vestax controllers will be nice book stands soon.
dibb 9:52 PM - 13 January, 2016
it runs fine on El Cap. it's a usb class compliant device so it'll probably continue to do so for some time..
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:34 PM - 13 January, 2016
yep that's true however there is no Windows 10 drivers so not sure if the last drivers they put out will work fine.
Ragman 5:06 AM - 15 January, 2016
This from Vestax posted on DJWorx...

djworx.com
the SOUNDINSURGENT 6:50 AM - 15 January, 2016
I think if he really cared he'd be calling up the software companies they had ties to and start work on drivers, dvs mode and a few other things.

I'm not buying it, he knows the products were shit yet he's not willing to do anything to rectify it??

Maybe I'm wrong and a new set of drivers/firmware will be released but I'm not holding my breath.......
DJ dVO 1:52 PM - 15 January, 2016
Man, why can't you give some positive vibe? If you're guessing, at least be half glass full.
deejdave 2:22 PM - 15 January, 2016
Quote:
Man, why can't you give some positive vibe? If you're guessing, at least be half glass full.

He took the realistic approach and I firmly believe he is 100% correct. Everyone is hoping for a successful run for vestax yet want them to support legacy gear. Imo this would be the quickest way to ensure they run into the same issues they just got over.
defjamblaster 2:45 PM - 15 January, 2016
does anyone have a 380 running on el capitan? mine was garbage using 1.8, had to go back to mavericks. audio just barely played. i'm not sure what to do differently if i want to try el cap again.
Ragman 2:56 PM - 15 January, 2016
Quote:
does anyone have a 380 running on el capitan? mine was garbage using 1.8, had to go back to mavericks. audio just barely played. i'm not sure what to do differently if i want to try el cap again.

You do realize that Vestax has been out of biz for over a year ??? Thus there exist no updated drivers for the VCI series controllers on today's operating systems. That's what this thread is about. Them making a come back and will they then update the VCIs drivers if they do comeback.
Dj cuervo 3:46 PM - 15 January, 2016
Vestax Controllers don't need drivers since it a usb class compliant device. They started the Serato Controller era!!! The Vci 300 is the grand daddy of them all. We do need a firmware update to get all the colors on the Vci 380. I hope they will address that once the Vestax Death Star is operational!!!
defjamblaster 4:14 PM - 15 January, 2016
Quote:

You do realize that Vestax has been out of biz for over a year ??? Thus there exist no updated drivers for the VCI series controllers on today's operating systems. That's what this thread is about. Them making a come back and will they then update the VCIs drivers if they do comeback.

I sure do know that, that's why i'm asking if anyone has it running successfully *right now*, since i know they aren't updating anything currently. i was told it's "class compliant" so it shouldn't need anything, yet my experience was terrible until i went back to mavericks. knowing that they've been out of business for over a year is EXACTLY why i'm asking if anyone else is running my same setup and having any issues. i'm just checking around to see if there's some other variable for me to look into other than my OS. if everyone else with a 380 is running just fine on el cap right now, then i gotta figure out what to do to make mine work.
defjamblaster 4:16 PM - 15 January, 2016
Quote:
Vestax Controllers don't need drivers since it a usb class compliant device. They started the Serato Controller era!!! The Vci 300 is the grand daddy of them all. We do need a firmware update to get all the colors on the Vci 380. I hope they will address that once the Vestax Death Star is operational!!!

i still have my 300 for backup. i only got a 380 to be able to use more of DJ's features. i don't know why i had such a bad experience on el cap though if the device should still work, that's why i'm asking around to see who else is using one on el cap.
Dj cuervo 5:17 PM - 15 January, 2016
i still have my 300 for backup. i only got a 380 to be able to use more of DJ's features. i don't know why i had such a bad experience on el cap though if the device should still work, that's why i'm asking around to see who else is using one on el cap.

I don't trust EL CAP too new. I'm still on Maverick not even Yosemite.
defjamblaster 5:42 PM - 15 January, 2016
you know what? i'm actually on yosemite with no issues ever since it came out. my bad for saying mavericks earlier.
Ragman 6:33 PM - 15 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I sure do know that, that's why i'm asking if anyone has it running successfully *right now*, since i know they aren't updating anything currently. i was told it's "class compliant" so it shouldn't need anything, yet my experience was terrible until i went back to mavericks. knowing that they've been out of business for over a year is EXACTLY why i'm asking if anyone else is running my same setup and having any issues. i'm just checking around to see if there's some other variable for me to look into other than my OS. if everyone else with a 380 is running just fine on el cap right now, then i gotta figure out what to do to make mine work.

Have you tried SDJ 1.8.1 ???
defjamblaster 6:35 PM - 15 January, 2016
I haven't. I might try next week when I'll have plenty of time to test and revert if necessary.
Ragman 6:39 PM - 15 January, 2016
Quote:
I haven't. I might try next week when I'll have plenty of time to test and revert if necessary.

Ok. If I'm not mistaken, 1.8.1 is Serato's supported version for El Cap.
defjamblaster 6:42 PM - 15 January, 2016
Hmm, I know I waited until I got the email that it was supported before I tried. I'll definitely look into it after I'm done working this weekend.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 8:04 PM - 15 January, 2016
Quote:

Man I'm just saying after reading that response over at WORX if he really "cares" about the dj community as much as he says then they should really go back and at least and I mean at the very least update the firmware/drivers for the 380 & 400.

Those are 2 SOLID ass units but because of firmware/drivers and the Vestax team have pretty much become book ends.

The 400 alone has SOOOOO MUCH potential that I almost wanna run out and grab one but because they pretty much ditched us (DJs who own them) I wont spend a dime on it!

And please don't get me wrong, I whole heartedly want them (Vestax) to make a return but I feel these 2 units should be brought up to par at least so they'll work properly with Cap and Windows 10......
dibb 10:10 PM - 15 January, 2016
Believe me, the VCI 400 runs perfectly on El Cap.
Davideon 10:45 AM - 16 January, 2016
Do you pay for drivers? No.

If vestax return it will be a new company. Spending time on drivers won't exactly boost the coffers.

Anyone who thinks new drivers etc will come out for current vestax products are in cloud cuckoo land
deejdave 2:37 PM - 16 January, 2016
Exactly.
Quote:
Everyone is hoping for a successful run for vestax yet want them to support legacy gear. Imo this would be the quickest way to ensure they run into the same issues they just got over.
Cham 5:31 PM - 16 January, 2016
Quote:

If vestax return it will be a new company. Spending time on drivers won't exactly boost the coffers.

Anyone who thinks new drivers etc will come out for current vestax products are in cloud cuckoo land

And that's why I won't support them when they come back.

BUT, if they support old products I will definately buy from them again. I'm sure they're sitting by their calculators trying to figure out if the goodwill that would come from supporting old products is worth the cost of finishing dvs firmware and such.
&Midge 7:02 PM - 16 January, 2016
I don't think Shiino is doing this for the money and I would be shocked if the new company doesn't support legacy products (my hat is at the ready ;) ).

The courts still haven't closed the old company and have yet to be concluded on what happened. So to say "it's the quickest way to ensure they run into the same issues they just got over" is hard for me to understand.

We can all sit here and speculate how they lost lots of money, unless you know something the Courts don't?
Ragman 7:08 PM - 16 January, 2016
Also remember, he (Shino) is starting from scratch. Even the new company name is different (STPVestax.com). And of course with that comes a new scope and business model. This means that the products of the old Vestax company we knew have nothing to do with this new company.
Ragman 7:11 PM - 16 January, 2016
STP= Shino Technology Products

However after going to the new website, he still has the old Vestax logo which is kinda odd so I could be wrong about his ties back to the old Vestax products. :-|
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:15 PM - 16 January, 2016
Have any of you read it!! He's starting from scratch and only doing High Quality gear and very limted runs of said gear! This is not Vestax as we might know it. It's game over for that.

We need to let Vestax RIP.

His new vision and company is something very different.

You wont see any Serato products if it is limited run hardware.

Even look at that mixer they are going to release does that look lile your average mixer? No lol

Quote:

Exactly
Ragman 7:25 PM - 16 January, 2016
That's my thinking too Woolsey. He's coming back with a similar vision to Technics but more centered around limited highend pro audio equipment. He probably just wants to maintain his logo for product recognition.
Cham 11:36 PM - 16 January, 2016
Just read that they will produce 10-20 units a month and sell direct so I guess all hope is gone for us that still dream of vci-380 dvs.

He should have used a new name for the company.
defjamblaster 11:58 PM - 16 January, 2016
I'm already pricing pioneers..
deejdave 6:04 AM - 17 January, 2016
Quote:
I don't think Shiino is doing this for the money and I would be shocked if the new company doesn't support legacy products (my hat is at the ready ;) ).

The courts still haven't closed the old company and have yet to be concluded on what happened. So to say "it's the quickest way to ensure they run into the same issues they just got over" is hard for me to understand.

We can all sit here and speculate how they lost lots of money, unless you know something the Courts don't?

I honestly think you still never ever accepted that anything happened with Vestax TBH.

It all seemed so cut and dry to me from the start all the while rooting for them yet keeping my expectations realistic. They were in fact a customers (DJ's) dream and a companies worst nightmare. In many ways they are more like Technics than most even know which I can only assume is the reason they are seemingly taking almost identical paths with differences mostly in timing.
AMO (Sonicbreaks UK) 12:13 PM - 22 January, 2016
It may be nothing, but the old Vestax logo has been removed from the STPVESTAX site. I though it strange that they were aloud to use it in the first place.
Ragman 8:44 PM - 22 January, 2016
^Yeah I was thinking the same.