Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

How can I SAVE Camelot keys in tags of the music files during analyzing?

pueblofunky 11:48 AM - 6 January, 2016
I'm just trying & testing Serato DJ 1.8.1 and analyzed some of my music files.

After checking the content in Tag & Rename I noticed that the keys are stored in "Classical Keys" in the files itself - only SDJ shows it in Camelot format because of the setting in the display options.

Why is there no option to SAVE it in Camelot format (e.g. 1A, 2A, 3B, ..) in the files itself? I think the licensing problem can't be the issue because otherwise they would not offer to convert them during viewing, or isn't it?

The current situation makes it unusable/unreadable in other software (like Tag & Rename, etc) (unless they support a mapping table).

I'm using Keyfinder 1.26 under Windows where I can enter my OWN values which should be stored in the key tag - but Windows is not support anymore with latest Keyfinder 2.0 (only MAC).

So will Serato support storing the Camelot system or the OWN values (see Keyfinder options regarding a mapping table where users can use their own system/keys which should be stored in the files)?

Thanks
Davideon 6:26 PM - 6 January, 2016
I believe serato only writes classical
maarawoe 6:56 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
I believe serato only writes classical

Why we have no choice? :-(
On its fine as long as it displays the key as camelot no matter what the tkey tag value is but it also means that the key is not usable anywhere else :(
The Return of Dj Sparky 7:24 PM - 6 January, 2016
you can batch edit after serato adds the key

www.harmonic-mixing.com

will take 24 batches but should be straight forward,

also regarding why serato doesn't write the camelot format is most likely because of licensing,

and my guess that the reason they're allowed display it as camelot but not save it was probably due to a deal that serato was promoting miked in key for a while so in turn Yakov let them use the conversion but not saving so he could reach out to all registered serato users
pueblofunky 8:18 PM - 6 January, 2016
Thanks, but I've thought I can remove another piece of software and step during the time-consuming check-in process of music and save some time.

Would be great if Serato would let us enter our own values for the classical keys (a mapping table in the options) which should be written back into the files instead of the classical key.
maarawoe 9:58 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
also regarding why serato doesn't write the camelot format is most likely because of licensing,

Yes thats understandable but still there is the openkey or a custom coding.
And another point - if its licensed, why its being displayed as camelot but not written by camelot?
The fact is that the id3 frame tkey used for storing is defined to use the musical notation but its just a recommendation - not a restriction. The serato probably follows the definition to keep the information clean but its not very flexible anyway. At least custom or open key should be selectable as the choice...
djenzyme 10:17 PM - 6 January, 2016
The Serato website has Mixed In Key listed as a 3rd party expansion.

Because of this, I'm guessing that Serato hasn't paid anything to use the Camelot format, but they would have to if the software actually writes in Camelot format. An all in one solution would be great but right now, if you want Camelot keys written to file, you must use Mixed in Key.
pueblofunky 10:24 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
An all in one solution would be great but right now, if you want Camelot keys written to file

you would need a mapping table in the options (as Keyfinder has it) which value should be written back depending on the detected classical key.
djenzyme 10:35 PM - 6 January, 2016
I actually use Mixed in Key because I already had it before Serato added key detection.

Apparently though, if your files don't have the Camelot format written to the key field, then you cannot use SDJ to search for them, so for example searching for 10A won't work.
Serato, Support
Matt P 12:43 AM - 7 January, 2016
pueblofunky

Quote:

www.harmonic-mixing.com

Thats really the best solution.

Serato doesn't have permission to write in Camelot, it will show in classical key in other programs too eg scratch live

Regards,

MP
The Return of Dj Sparky 1:15 AM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:

Serato doesn't have permission to write in Camelot, it will show in classical key in other programs too eg scratch live

not that serato could be bothered but you might want to have the legal team have a look into how valid their ownership of the camelot system is,

community.mixedinkey.com
Psythik 1:21 AM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
pueblofunky

Quote:

www.harmonic-mixing.com

Regards,

MP
You should be able to get around this by allowing users to input their own custom key display settings, just like KeyFinder does: i.imgur.com
The Return of Dj Sparky 1:25 AM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
You should be able to get around this by allowing users to input their own custom key display settings, just like KeyFinder does: i.imgur.com

clever idea
Serato, Support
Matt P 1:38 AM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:

Yeah that is clever as a workaround
pueblofunky 6:24 AM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
Would be great if Serato would let us enter our own values for the classical keys (a mapping table in the options) which should be written back into the files instead of the classical key.

As I wrote above.

There are multiple key signature names and translations.

See en.wikipedia.org

I'm sure other users prefer their own or other values.
maarawoe 8:04 AM - 8 January, 2016
Thats what I am saying - having presets of musical, openkey AND custom definition will make happy all of us forever :-)