Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Novation Dicer Full Remapping on OSX

Unit27 3:48 PM - 31 December, 2015
I just figured out a way to be able to remap all 6 pages of Dicer on Mac.

With Serato closed go to Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup, once there go to the MIDI Studio window (if it's not visible go to Window Menu > Show MIDI Studio).

There, you should have a block diagram of MIDI devices you've connected to your computer. Look for Dicer and double click it. This should open a window with further info on the device. Go to Device Name and change the default "Dicer" to something else (eg. TheDicer). Quit Audio MIDI Setup.

Launch Serato and go to Setup. Under MIDI you should see Dicer as a new MIDI device with the name you gave it (eg. TheDicer Novation Dicer). This means you can remap it now completely. Only caveat is that every light will be green, but works great for simple mapping that don't need much color feedback.
Cham 1:51 PM - 2 January, 2016
This is fully reversible right? Like you just change the name back in midi studio?

I would like to try this on my vci 380 and see if I can use it as a mixer with midi pads together with my sl4.
Unit27 9:37 PM - 2 January, 2016
Quote:
This is fully reversible right? Like you just change the name back in midi studio?

I would like to try this on my vci 380 and see if I can use it as a mixer with midi pads together with my sl4.

Tested on Dicer and it is reversible, just take note of the original name and change it back to that.
Cham 11:18 PM - 2 January, 2016
I'll try to rename my vci tomorrow and report back. This could open possibilities.
Cham 12:59 PM - 3 January, 2016
I renamed the VCI and it works. I'm making another thread about it since it's not really about dicers.
thebulge 1:13 PM - 3 January, 2016
Whoa cool. Would be great to be able to do this with a toggle app.

Will check if Midi Util is AppleScriptable.
thebulge 11:45 PM - 3 January, 2016
So ~/Library/Audio/MIDI Configurations/Default.mcfg is a standard OS X plist. It's gonna be pretty trivial to make a "toggle" type app that could rename your VCI-380 (or whichever controller) so you can leverage it via Serato DJs MIDI mapping and another DVS device, then toggle it back so it can be a core controller if you needed to use it with platters standalone.

Since MIDI mapping is a bit more limited than native mode, you can gonna loose stuff like the slicer and stuff as it's not MIDI mappable (I assume anyway without testing).

Leave it with me and I will look at rolling up a script to rename a target MIDI device and see if we can make it easy for people to use in this fashion.
Dj Owe 3:10 AM - 12 January, 2016
Does anyone know if this works for a SP1 would love to re map this in a custom way
Dj Owe 2:36 AM - 19 January, 2016
Hello from the other side
Unit27 5:04 PM - 20 January, 2016
If you have the SP1 you can test it. Open Audio MIDI Setup, open the MIDI Studio window, look for the SP1 and double click it. In the window that opens change its name and close it. Launch Serato, and if it works the default mapping shouldn't work, letting you remap it manually.
Dj Owe 11:02 PM - 24 January, 2016
Wicked. I will post back my results.

Thank you
TIMEGA 3:49 AM - 6 February, 2016
Does anyone know how to use this way to completely remap Dicer on Windows? I successfully renamed my dicer in the Device Manager by regedit, but SeratoDJ still does not recognize them as a new MIDI device.Audio MIDI Setup.
Dj Owe 9:25 PM - 6 February, 2016
I remapped the SP1 but we track to the og layout because I only had one layer and no midi output lighting.
Unit27 3:04 AM - 7 February, 2016
Quote:
I remapped the SP1 but we track to the og layout because I only had one layer and no midi output lighting.

You could look into editing your custom mapping's xml file, it lets you edit the output MIDI values for the controller feedback. Multiple pages might be harder if it's done through software instead of the hardware. I'm looking into running the dicers through another app (puredata or MidiPipe) to add extra functionality.

Quote:
Does anyone know how to use this way to completely remap Dicer on Windows? I successfully renamed my dicer in the Device Manager by regedit, but SeratoDJ still does not recognize them as a new MIDI device.Audio MIDI Setup.

I haven't looked much into it, but I'll have to because my backup laptop is a PC. Problem is windows doesn't have a centralized Audio/MIDI driver as CoreAudio and CoreMIDI on Mac, but it might be doable through the Device Manager or something like that.
TIMEGA 4:06 AM - 7 February, 2016
Quote:

I haven't looked much into it, but I'll have to because my backup laptop is a PC. Problem is windows doesn't have a centralized Audio/MIDI driver as CoreAudio and CoreMIDI on Mac, but it might be doable through the Device Manager or something like that.

I successfully renamed my dicer in the Device Manager y editing friendname in the HKEY codes, but SeratoDJ still doesn't recognize it as a new MIDI device. I suspect that Dicers directly "talks" to SeratoDJ with their genuine name on Windows. Please let me know if you know there is anyway to get around this. Thank you.
deejay-motiv 12:31 AM - 13 July, 2016
Anyone tried this with the Neon yet? Tempted to give it a go!
Dj Owe 10:23 PM - 15 July, 2016
You can use dice tools to remap and custom your dicers. This app even lights up the custom mapping. It's awesome and someone needs to make the same app for an sp1 controller
dj_spark 1:36 PM - 24 December, 2017
Tested on a Reloop Neon with OSX, thank you very much for the work around, now I can have my very own layout.
DJ Fa2LA 6:53 PM - 6 October, 2018
Anyone else do this with an S9? I've tried a few different times, but once I start remapping the dicers it causes conflicts on the S9. For instance I started out simple, (red) Cue Points 1-5. They work fine but then I hit a Cue on mixer and it jumps to "User Mode 2" out of nowhere.

It's really too bad because after some fine tuning for LED color control this would have been brilliant!
Unit27 6:37 AM - 24 October, 2018
Quote:
Anyone else do this with an S9? I've tried a few different times, but once I start remapping the dicers it causes conflicts on the S9. For instance I started out simple, (red) Cue Points 1-5. They work fine but then I hit a Cue on mixer and it jumps to "User Mode 2" out of nowhere.

It's really too bad because after some fine tuning for LED color control this would have been brilliant!

Working it together with a mixer with MIDI implementation is hard because of the way Serato distributes its MIDI information. You could try disabling custom mapping for the S9 in Serato's preferences, but I think that wouldn't allow you to use the S9's User Modes along with the Dicers.
DJ Fa2LA 2:57 PM - 10 November, 2018
@Unit27 thanks for the idea, but I wouldn't want to disable custom mapping because I've made a few mods that I love too much. Haven't given up yet tho! Will def post an update if I figure out a workaround.

Wish I could change the dicer MIDI channels/notes, think that would resolve everything. Easier said tho... Had downloaded DiceTools a while back but haven't messed with it yet.