DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Wireless speaker solutions

JDforKing 1:14 PM - 30 December, 2015
I'm wondering if anyone has to run remote speakers at gigs and what you're using to do it. I see sennheiser has a wireless transmitter/receiver that agiprodj sells and i also see the alto stealth wireless system that can be used. I've also read people use their lavalier/lapel systems to do this also. If you're doing this let me know what you're using and how it's working for you.

Remember i'm not looking to use this for my main set up. I'm looking into this in the event i need to add remote speakers at a venue and don't want to run 100ft of xlr.
Rebelguy 2:08 PM - 30 December, 2015
I use the sennheiser packs. They are reliable and sound good when set up correctly.

There are a lot of great options out there depending on your budget.
JDforKing 2:22 PM - 30 December, 2015
Quote:
I use the sennheiser packs. They are reliable and sound good when set up correctly.

Can you give me situations in which you used your wireless system?
DJ Tracktion 4:25 PM - 30 December, 2015
I've used the Alto Stealth system 3 times (the original, not the newer version they have) and it was pretty decent. Had two remote speakers each time. There were some drop outs/interferences here and there and the sound isn't as full sounding to me (doesn't seem to transport the low end well) but all in all for my application it did what I needed it to do. Was total plug n play, didn't get to tweak it at all so it may be able to perform better.
JDforKing 4:37 PM - 30 December, 2015
Quote:
I've used the Alto Stealth system 3 times (the original, not the newer version they have) and it was pretty decent. Had two remote speakers each time. There were some drop outs/interferences here and there and the sound isn't as full sounding to me (doesn't seem to transport the low end well) but all in all for my application it did what I needed it to do. Was total plug n play, didn't get to tweak it at all so it may be able to perform better.

What speakers were you using.
JDforKing 4:38 PM - 30 December, 2015
?
Rebelguy 6:19 PM - 30 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Can you give me situations in which you used your wireless system?

I've used them for outdoor distances of up to 200 feet with no issues. I have also used them indoors through walls to adjoining rooms with distance up to 100 feet with no issues.

The main thing is to do a frequency scan at each venue you use them at.
Rebelguy 6:20 PM - 30 December, 2015
You will not get much below 50-60hz on most of these systems unless you are willing to spend some major money.
JDforKing 6:50 PM - 30 December, 2015
Quote:
You will not get much below 50-60hz on most of these systems unless you are willing to spend some major money.

I figured that, i plan on only using them with my yamaha dxr8s
Rebelguy 6:57 PM - 30 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I use them with my Yamaha DXR10s all the time. If you can find a good frequency then you are good to go.
JDforKing 7:00 PM - 30 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I use them with my Yamaha DXR10s all the time. If you can find a good frequency then you are good to go.

i never have frequency issues where i am in florida. Where you located?
Joee 7:29 PM - 30 December, 2015
worth a look www.agiprodj.com
JDforKing 7:33 PM - 30 December, 2015
Quote:
worth a look www.agiprodj.com

Not what i'm looking for. I'm looking to run a remote speaker or 2 from my main set up without having to run xlr long distances. Something like this www.altoproaudio.com
Joee 7:37 PM - 30 December, 2015
ahhh got it, you want to do this Watchwww.youtube.com
JDforKing 7:47 PM - 30 December, 2015
Quote:

yes
JDforKing 7:48 PM - 30 December, 2015
Quote:

I've done it with an old nady lavalier system i have but i'm curious to know what other people are using to do the same thing.
Rebelguy 7:57 PM - 30 December, 2015
I do a lot of work in the San Francisco Bay Area and things can get a bit crowded frequency-wise. Most weddings o do average 3-7 channels of wireless between me and videographers.

I'm actually looking to upgrade to a Sennheiser iem system for wireless speakers.
DJ Tracktion 10:08 PM - 30 December, 2015
Quote:
What speakers were you using.

EV elx 115p and 112p
577er 4:57 AM - 31 December, 2015
I use the Shure FP3 & FP5 as well as SLX4 receiver (which is not battery powered) for wireless speakers, they work together which is handy. Depending on the location they sound great. I've had the signal reach 300 feet outdoors in fields and on the flip side I've had horrible drop outs over short distances on rooftops in Washington DC where there are a lot of signals bouncing around. If you have the chance to re-scan for open signals after guests have arrived that appears to help. I've found adding 200 people and their cell phones can screw up a previously clear signal.

Indoors, position can make a huge difference. Moving the speaker height or distance to a wall can cause / solve drop out problems.

I've used them with QSC K series, EV SX series, RCF Evox. All sound great. Get the transmitter as high as you can, I use a telescoping mic stand with the transmitter at about 6 feet up.

If I wasn't already heavily invested in the shure SLX line I would go with the sennhiser G3 because it gives you the most feedback about signal strength when setting it up.

Well worth the investment of you do a lot of work requiring quick setups.
JDforKing 10:35 AM - 31 December, 2015
Quote:
I use the Shure FP3 & FP5 as well as SLX4 receiver (which is not battery powered) for wireless speakers, they work together which is handy. Depending on the location they sound great. I've had the signal reach 300 feet outdoors in fields and on the flip side I've had horrible drop outs over short distances on rooftops in Washington DC where there are a lot of signals bouncing around. If you have the chance to re-scan for open signals after guests have arrived that appears to help. I've found adding 200 people and their cell phones can screw up a previously clear signal.

Indoors, position can make a huge difference. Moving the speaker height or distance to a wall can cause / solve drop out problems.

I've used them with QSC K series, EV SX series, RCF Evox. All sound great. Get the transmitter as high as you can, I use a telescoping mic stand with the transmitter at about 6 feet up.

If I wasn't already heavily invested in the shure SLX line I would go with the sennhiser G3 because it gives you the most feedback about signal strength when setting it up.

Well worth the investment of you do a lot of work requiring quick setups.

Thanks for sharing your experience
DJ Dynamight 2:51 PM - 31 December, 2015
I got the Alto Stealth in October 2015 and I've used it a couple times so far. One at a wedding (about 100 feet away) and the other was at a house party (about 20 feet away). Both times it worked decent, I did have occasional drop outs during the event and wasn't able to switch channels in the middle of the event. I adjusted the squelch setting and that seemed to help.
I would like to check out the new Stealth Pro model.
My major gripe with the Stealth is the handling noise of the receiver. You can hear thumps through the speaker if the receiver is moved or tapped on, regardless of the volume setting. It might not be shielded well or something. As long as it remains stationary it should't be an issue. Not sure if a subwoofer close to the receiver would cause vibration issues. Just something to be aware of. I've used it with EV ETX-15P/Yorkville NX720S & RCF EVOX 8.
JDforKing 4:33 PM - 31 December, 2015
Quote:
I got the Alto Stealth in October 2015 and I've used it a couple times so far. One at a wedding (about 100 feet away) and the other was at a house party (about 20 feet away). Both times it worked decent, I did have occasional drop outs during the event and wasn't able to switch channels in the middle of the event. I adjusted the squelch setting and that seemed to help.
I would like to check out the new Stealth Pro model.
My major gripe with the Stealth is the handling noise of the receiver. You can hear thumps through the speaker if the receiver is moved or tapped on, regardless of the volume setting. It might not be shielded well or something. As long as it remains stationary it should't be an issue. Not sure if a subwoofer close to the receiver would cause vibration issues. Just something to be aware of. I've used it with EV ETX-15P/Yorkville NX720S & RCF EVOX 8.

Are you in a large city?
DJ Dynamight 8:39 PM - 31 December, 2015
Quote:
Are you in a large city?

Brooklyn, NY
DJ Dean Machine 4:43 PM - 16 August, 2017
If you use Shure lavalier body packs (SLX1) you get great Audio Reference Companding for clear sound , at 40hz-15khz, and up to 200ft through walls. Serves 2 purposes. 1 wireless microphones, 2 wireless speakers. All you need is the special instrument 1/4 inch adapter from Shure.
Rebelguy 9:20 PM - 16 August, 2017
Quote:
If you use Shure lavalier body packs (SLX1) you get great Audio Reference Companding for clear sound , at 40hz-15khz, and up to 200ft through walls. Serves 2 purposes. 1 wireless microphones, 2 wireless speakers. All you need is the special instrument 1/4 inch adapter from Shure.

I am going to have to disagree. I use shure's QLXD line, which is a few steps up from the SLX line, and it would struggle to do what you're Saying.
DJ Dean Machine 10:33 PM - 16 August, 2017
Struggles in what way? The built in attenuator in the SLX1 body packs takes line level signals just fine through 1/4 inch mono monitor out of my mixer right to the SLX4 receiver at the speaker.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:13 PM - 16 August, 2017
It is not a game... www.djjohnnym.com
Rebelguy 11:45 PM - 16 August, 2017
Quote:
Struggles in what way? The built in attenuator in the SLX1 body packs takes line level signals just fine through 1/4 inch mono monitor out of my mixer right to the SLX4 receiver at the speaker.

I wasn't referring to the connections. I was referring to transmitting 200 feet through walls.
DJ Dean Machine 11:48 PM - 16 August, 2017
It's a game of saving your money. When you've already invested in 4 SLX systems, there is no need to purchase more systems that do the same thing, maybe not even as good.
Rebelguy 11:52 PM - 16 August, 2017
Quote:
It is not a game... www.djjohnnym.com

A few other sound companies in my area as well as myself got rid of out Sennheiser G3 systems over the past year. They just weren't reliable in our area anymore. I've switched to the Shure QLXD line for my handheld and lavalier packs for my live sound events. For wireless speakers I run the Sony UWP line. You can see a video comparing the Sennheiser versus Sony wireless packs in the link below.

youtu.be
DJ Dean Machine 11:53 PM - 16 August, 2017
But yes 200ft through walls is not possible, I combined the 2 statements. 200ft line of sight, much less through walls. Still gets the job done just as good or better than custom made Sennheiser systems. That's my point here.
Rebelguy 11:57 PM - 16 August, 2017
Quote:
But yes 200ft through walls is not possible, I combined the 2 statements. 200ft line of sight, much less through walls. Still gets the job done just as good or better than custom made Sennheiser systems. That's my point here.

Understood and I totally agree with your statement.
DJ Dean Machine 11:58 PM - 16 August, 2017
Great way to do a live test by bike!
Rebelguy 12:22 AM - 17 August, 2017
Quote:
Great way to do a live test by bike!

Haha. Guess that handles worst case scenarios.
DJ Dean Machine 2:15 AM - 17 August, 2017
No pun? (Handles) lol
Jon-Paul Evans 10:21 PM - 19 August, 2018
Any updates or new thoughts on this topic? Sennheiser G3 still seems to be the preferred choice but I like the Sony D11 as well...
577er 3:12 AM - 20 August, 2018
the Sennheiser G3 are perfect for wireless connections to speakers.

Using them for wireless hand held mics it’s mixed results. One of the two XLR transmitters that plug onto a mic experiences horrible distortion if held wrong. The other has no problems. Both work flawlessly for wireless connections to speakers.

Lots of videographers prefer the Sony units as the receiver has a headphone monitor.
Ben Raw 5:41 AM - 20 August, 2018
I've been trialing the new G4 Senny systems for wireless speakers and so far its better than the G3 (more than 3x the RF mW output) I have successfully done 100m outdoors for a wedding using the LSP500 system relayed back to my console in the reception area.
DJ_Dad 12:00 AM - 21 August, 2018
I can second th Senn G3. I have used these over long distances without interruption and the sound quality was very good.
deezlee 9:05 PM - 19 September, 2018
Just got the senn ew 100 G4 (pretty much the same as G3)
Any tips on setup for speakers?
Input sensitivity on transmitter - what setting?
AF out (volume) on receiver - what setting?
Is there a mic/line switch?
Can I use any 1/8" cord or just the threaded ones?
(I need a cord to go from DJ mixer to transmitter)

Thanks y'all
Alex Hales 5:25 AM - 19 September, 2019
If you talk about remote speakers then let me mention about
If you talk about high quality bluetooth speaker, then let me tell you about Sonos Move Portable Smart Wireless Speaker

With FREE Wireless Headphone worth AED 499
Model: MOVE1UK1BLK
Key Features:
Ultra-durable battery-powered smart speaker.
Weatherproof and Drop-resistant.
Bluetooth & WiFi Connectivity.
Built-in Voice Control with Alexa.
Capacitive Touch Controls.
Automatic Software Updates.
Works with AirPlay 2 on Apple devices iOS.
Battery Life :10 hours per charge.
Warranty:
1 Year Manufacturer Warranty

Sound Anywhere

The durable, battery-powered smart speaker for outdoor and indoor listening. Get brilliant sound anywhere with the weatherproof and drop-resistant Move. Control with your voice, the Sonos, and Apple AirPlay 2 at home, and stream via Bluetooth when WiFi isn't available.

Great sound in the great outdoors
Experience surprisingly deep bass, a wide soundscape, and automatic Trueplay™ tuning that perfectly balances the sound for where you are and what you're listening to.
Voice Control
Amazon Alexa is built right in so on WiFi you can play music, check news, set alarms, get your questions answered, and more, completely hands-free.
Weather-resistant
With an IP56 rating, Move stands up to humidity, rain, snow, dust, salt spray, UV rays, and extreme heat and cold.
Battery that lasts
Enjoy up to 10 hours of continuous play time and deep, powerful sound. Easily recharge Move on the included base, or get power on the go with the USB-C travel charger.
Grab and go
Move fits seamlessly into the included charging base and features an ergonomic handle, making it easy to pick up and carry.
Ultra-durable
Don't worry about accidental drops or bumps. Move's components are protected by a hardwearing, shock-resistant case.

www.erosdigitalhome.ae

Simple recharging
No need to plug Move in. Set the speaker on the included indoor charging base for quick power while you listen.
deezlee 9:10 PM - 19 September, 2019
Lies!
Res-Q 2:30 PM - 18 May, 2021
Hi guys, any updates since 2019?
I am thinking to buy a Sennheiser G4 system, anybody has feedbacks on these or alternative methods.
Riddim Dojo 2:05 PM - 19 May, 2021
I find the G4's are not as reliable range wise as the old G3's but the some of the old frequencies are illegal etc if you want to purchase 2nd hand G3's. When they are in range, they are pretty solid (the G4's).
Res-Q 8:41 PM - 19 May, 2021
thx for the feedback, i am in europe so frequency ranges are a bit different, i will try to borrow a set og both and compare if i can
Riddim Dojo 9:28 PM - 19 May, 2021
Quote:
thx for the feedback, i am in europe so frequency ranges are a bit different, i will try to borrow a set og both and compare if i can

Best approach if you're able to. I'm in the Caribbean, so they don't legislate the frequency bans here as yet. But I love the stability/range of the G3's but the G4's have nicer features/UI/LCD.

YMMV.

Cheers.