Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

SDJ 1.8.0 increased pitch fluctuation

DJ Tecniq 10:08 PM - 20 December, 2015
Used SDJ 1.8.0 at a christmas party last night and my dj friend noticed sdj was getting a lot of pitch fluctuation. Calibration was done but the pitch on sdj's digital display was drifting w/o even touching the turntables pitch. We got fed up with it going all over the place we loaded up scratchlive instead and it was fine...The pitch fluctuation wasn't happening? Also we were getting bad control tone signals like a distorted full circle but Scratchlive was not displaying this either?
mr187 8:07 AM - 22 December, 2015
I reported that also seems to be fixed in 1.8.1
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:14 AM - 22 December, 2015
try updating your firmware
DJ Tecniq 9:37 AM - 22 December, 2015
Quote:
I don't use a controller...
maarawoe 12:56 PM - 22 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I don't use a controller...

I thought its my hands :-D I also noticed that I am not able to properly calibrate on 1.8.0 and the pitch was drifting about +/- 0,3 whats nearly 1% on both TT combined so I had quite a hard time to do some longer mix without constantly touching the platters..... On previous versions I was usually not getting more than +/- 0,1%
Will give it a try on 1.8.1...
DJ Tecniq 4:13 PM - 22 December, 2015
Quote:
I thought its my hands :-D I also noticed that I am not able to properly calibrate on 1.8.0 and the pitch was drifting about +/- 0,3 whats nearly 1% on both TT combined so I had quite a hard time to do some longer mix without constantly touching the platters..... On previous versions I was usually not getting more than +/- 0,1%
Both 1.8.0 and 1.8.1 are both useless to me. The first one has pitch problems the second has issues with not playing songs from the start especially if it's a song that has no cue point. I swear SDJ shouldn't of stayed with controllers and never moved to DVS it's just not "there" yet. For now I'm still using SSL and it's almost 2016. SDJ is having too many issues like a bad ex girlfriend.
kbscholar 4:41 PM - 22 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Both 1.8.0 and 1.8.1 are both useless to me. The first one has pitch problems the second has issues with not playing songs from the start especially if it's a song that has no cue point. I swear SDJ shouldn't of stayed with controllers and never moved to DVS it's just not "there" yet. For now I'm still using SSL and it's almost 2016. SDJ is having too many issues like a bad ex girlfriend.

Are you using SDJ with vinyl, CD, or HID? If you are using vinyl, are you in Absolute or Relative mode? Do you have Drop Needle to Exact Track Position selected?
DJ Tecniq 5:26 PM - 22 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are you using SDJ with vinyl, CD, or HID? If you are using vinyl, are you in Absolute or Relative mode? Do you have Drop Needle to Exact Track Position selected?
Using vinyl with SL3 in relative mode. I have start from first cue point and play from start checked. Some reason 1.8.1 drops tracks in a random part of the song if it's tracks that have no cue point. It doesn't happen all the time but I did a whole crate and tested loading with dicers mapped and I would get songs that would not start from beginning. Most frustrating thing ever
kbscholar 6:13 PM - 22 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Using vinyl with SL3 in relative mode. I have start from first cue point and play from start checked. Some reason 1.8.1 drops tracks in a random part of the song if it's tracks that have no cue point. It doesn't happen all the time but I did a whole crate and tested loading with dicers mapped and I would get songs that would not start from beginning. Most frustrating thing ever

Okay, if the track starts from the middle, either lift the needle and put it to the beginning of the track or press Alt+Q to make the track start from the beginning. Once you do that, press Ctrl+1 (or Ctrl+6) to set the first cue point at the beginning of the track.

Crisis averted.
AMO (Sonicbreaks UK) 9:02 AM - 23 December, 2015
Quote:
Used SDJ 1.8.0 at a christmas party last night and my dj friend noticed sdj was getting a lot of pitch fluctuation. Calibration was done but the pitch on sdj's digital display was drifting w/o even touching the turntables pitch. We got fed up with it going all over the place we loaded up scratchlive instead and it was fine...The pitch fluctuation wasn't happening? Also we were getting bad control tone signals like a distorted full circle but Scratchlive was not displaying this either?

I had this calibration issue once with my SL3 box and SDJ 1.8
I switched to SSL and calibration worked perfect then rebooted SDJ and it was fine.
But like you said, the circle was distorted on both decks and the calibration dials had no effect on the circles?
DJ Tecniq 9:15 AM - 23 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I had this calibration issue once with my SL3 box and SDJ 1.8
I switched to SSL and calibration worked perfect then rebooted SDJ and it was fine.
But like you said, the circle was distorted on both decks and the calibration dials had no effect on the circles?
This is my honest opinion of SDJ... It should of stayed controller based I feel like they really rushed DVS into the application when it wasn't ready yet..almost 2016 and I'm still using SSL. There is a reason SDJ doesn't work well with DVS cause it's more "controller" functional. And I don't care if 1.8.1 doesn't have this pitch fluctuation issue the point is it shouldn't happen "At All"
Mr. Goodkat 9:32 AM - 23 December, 2015
Quote:
Okay, if the track starts from the middle, either lift the needle and put it to the beginning of the track or press Alt+Q to make the track start from the beginning.

do you have needle drop on?

have you turned play from first of track off and just left turn cue point on? and why wouldnt you have a cue point, at least one, set?
DJ Tecniq 9:36 AM - 23 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Okay, if the track starts from the middle, either lift the needle and put it to the beginning of the track or press Alt+Q to make the track start from the beginning.

do you have needle drop on?

have you turned play from first of track off and just left turn cue point on? and why wouldnt you have a cue point, at least one, set?
needle drop is not on. I have play from first cue and play from start both checked. Not all my songs have cue points. If there's a cue pint it all works fine it's songs without cue points randomly start further into the song when they should be playing "from start"
Mr. Goodkat 9:52 AM - 23 December, 2015
it just sounds like what happens when you dont have a cue point set and you have start from first cue.

lets say if i have a track thats half way thru and i load another track, with no cue point set, it will pick up directly where the other track is playing.

seems like if its a track you just use quite a bit, it would make sense to have a cue point set.

i just have never had this problem because i always set cue points when i load tracks in or at least sometimes before i use them. So far this month ive added 366 tracks.

i have start from first cue on and start from beginning of track off.
DJ Tecniq 9:58 AM - 23 December, 2015
Quote:
it just sounds like what happens when you dont have a cue point set and you have start from first cue.

lets say if i have a track thats half way thru and i load another track, with no cue point set, it will pick up directly where the other track is playing.

seems like if its a track you just use quite a bit, it would make sense to have a cue point set.

i just have never had this problem because i always set cue points when i load tracks in or at least sometimes before i use them. So far this month ive added 366 tracks.

i have start from first cue on and start from beginning of track off.
i like having play from start on because generally I can set a cue point at the start point if needed. I will have to do further testing as this never occurs with any version but the latest 1.8.1 version.
DJ Tecniq 10:00 AM - 23 December, 2015
And normally I do have a cue point for every song but it's mostly tracks from soundcloud.