Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

bandcamp and serato not playing nice together

Dax 12:16 PM - 16 December, 2015
Bought an LP from Bandcamp as .wav and its not playing 1.8.1 ? file loads,but no waveform or audio can be heard,works in VLC,ITunes and Audacity
Dax 6:30 PM - 16 December, 2015
its ok i worked out what was up
Madhav 5:27 PM - 16 June, 2016
what was up? i'm having the same problem
DjSyndic8 2:37 AM - 17 June, 2016
Quote:
Bought an LP from Bandcamp as .wav and its not playing 1.8.1 ? file loads,but no waveform or audio can be heard,works in VLC,ITunes and Audacity

have you tried re-encoding to .mp3 320kbps ?
Madhav 1:04 PM - 17 June, 2016
No, I want to keep it as a wav file
DjSyndic8 5:32 PM - 17 June, 2016
Quote:
No, I want to keep it as a wav file

just for testing purpose only,
Madhav 6:01 PM - 20 June, 2016
I converted it and it works. hmmm i wish the op wrote out what his solution was.

im having the exact same issue. file works in itunes, vox, vlc... serato recognizes the file and it loads onto the deck no problem, the file name is correct and the length of the song is correct... but no waveform and no audio. weird
DjSyndic8 8:21 PM - 20 June, 2016
Quote:
I converted it and it works. hmmm i wish the op wrote out what his solution was.

im having the exact same issue. file works in itunes, vox, vlc... serato recognizes the file and it loads onto the deck no problem, the file name is correct and the length of the song is correct... but no waveform and no audio. weird

SDJ doesnt work well with wav
Serato
Geoff.B 7:08 AM - 21 June, 2016
WAV files have a pretty gnarly history and have been abused over the years with both new standards and non-standards becoming standard. I'd be interested to take a look at one of these and see why DJ is struggling with it. Is this for _any_ WAV downloaded from bandcamp?
Madhav 1:33 PM - 21 June, 2016
I almost exclusively use wav files with my SDJ and have been doing so for years. I've never had a problem. Not sure what "history" you're talking about, because wav is a standard format. Even my old car stereo can only play wav files and cannot play mp3.

This is my first and only download from bandcamp so I'm not sure about that. I re-encoded it as wav and it plays fine. Come to think of it..... When I re-encoded it, it turned into a 16 bit sample rate instead of 24 bit. Maybe Serato doesn't support 24 bit. Which is pretty lame if that's the case. At least they got with the program with FLAC recently.
DjSyndic8 10:25 PM - 21 June, 2016
Id save myself the hassles and run with .mp3 320kbps the sound difference is indistinguishable and the amount of space you will save
Serato
Geoff.B 3:09 AM - 22 June, 2016
It looks like Bandcamp is providing WAV files with the Extensible format type, which is not supported by Serato DJ at this time. We currently support PCM (8-bit, 16-bit, 24-bit) and floating point (32-bit, 64-bit) format types only.

Are the tracks you're downloading encoded for surround sound, or are they just stereo? It looks like the solution for now is to change the file's encoding to one of the supported WAV format types, or download the tracks in a different format such as AIFF or FLAC if available.
cotdagoo 6:52 PM - 11 September, 2017
Quote:
It looks like Bandcamp is providing WAV files with the Extensible format type, which is not supported by Serato DJ at this time. We currently support PCM (8-bit, 16-bit, 24-bit) and floating point (32-bit, 64-bit) format types only.

Are the tracks you're downloading encoded for surround sound, or are they just stereo? It looks like the solution for now is to change the file's encoding to one of the supported WAV format types, or download the tracks in a different format such as AIFF or FLAC if available.

Over a year later, any update on supporting Extensibile format type? Loads of stuff from Bandcamp isn't analyzing or playing back in SeratoDJ 1.9.6

Seems like adding support for something like this could have been added in the time since the OP?
mamaquillamusic 11:31 AM - 10 November, 2017
Hey there, I had the same problem with Bandcamp. The download is WAVEX, all I did to fix the issue is re encoded the files. I used audacity to export as 32bit WAV and now it works fine. I have also used SDJ for wav files and never had an issue until Bandcamp. Hope this helps!
Stefan dB 12:34 PM - 30 November, 2018
Quote:

I have a similar problem, Serato DJ Pro 2.X (latest version) does not play some of the WAV files I have purchased with the message "This file's data is not in PCM format", but I also have a version of ITCH and has the same message but plays perfectly there. How is that possible?
Dendrome 5:20 PM - 19 October, 2019
I put together a somewhat quick fix for this issue.

You will need VLC installed. I am using version 2.2.5.1, not sure if newer versions work. I'd assume so.

Go to the directory with your WAV files not working with Serato. Create a new folder here called fixed.

Open PowerShell, Run as Administrator

type:

cd C:\directory\YourMusic

Copy and Paste the following script into the console:

$outputExtension = ".wav"

$channels = 2

foreach($inputFile in get-childitem -Filter *.wav){

$withoutExt = $inputFile.BaseName

$inputDir = $inputFile.Directory.FullName

$outputFilePath = $inputDir + "\fixed\"

$outputFileName = $outputFilePath + $withoutExt + $outputExtension;

$programFiles = ${env:ProgramFiles(x86)};

if($programFiles -eq $null) { $programFiles = $env:ProgramFiles; }

$processName = $programFiles + "\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe"

$processArgs = "-I dummy -vvv `"$($inputFile.FullName)`" --sout=#transcode{acodec=`"s16l`",`"channels=$channels`"}:standard{acc
ess=`"file`",mux=`"wav`",dst=`"$outputFileName`"}vlc://quit"

start-process $processName $processArgs -wait

}

Hit Enter, and it will open a series of command prompts as it recodes the files. You should be able to use the files now in Fixed with Serato once the script finishes.

Cheers!
Dendrome 4:45 AM - 8 February, 2020
^^^^

I had to encode a couple tracks, and couldn't remember the scripts, so I searched and found my post that worked last time, and I found a couple issues that I want to point out.

1) The line that starts with "$processArgs" needs to be formatted so "access" is not split onto two separate lines.
2) Remove the extra line breaks. This happened when I posted to the website, but it will not work if you just copy and paste directly from the website.
3) Put a space in between the } and vlc://quit" at the end of the $processArgs line. Otherwise, you'll have to close the command prompt yourself.

But it ended up working after I made those fixes.