DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Yamaha Dxr12s vs EV Zlx12p

Lrose951 1:58 AM - 2 December, 2015
Fellow Dj,

Newbie DJ here piecing my setup together. Been having my eye and saving up for the Yamaha DXR12's had them in my cart and decided to do some more research and came across the EV Zlx12ps. Super newbie as of now doing 1-3 gigs per month mainly backyard stuff 40-60 people. I do have 2 weddings next spring both are expecting between 100-150 one of them being outside. So I am curious to know if I should pull the trigger on the yamahas($1399) or get the Evs($799). I am open format play hip hop, edm, rock, salsa, merengue I know for the weddings I am renting a sub(I don't see the need to drop $1500+ when I can rent for a weekend for$50). I have attached link of both package deals. Considering even getting a '15 if that suits the style of music I play better.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

www.amazon.com

www.amazon.com

www.amazon.com

www.amazon.com
Scully DJ Services 3:24 AM - 2 December, 2015
I would recommend the DXR15s. They have a very nice amount of bass, get pretty loud, sound fantastic, and have a 7 year warranty. If those cost too much, check out the DBR15s. I own a pair myself and love them. They are the DXRs little brothers, and they share many qualities. The only benefits of the DXRs are that they get a little louder, have a better onboard mixer section (but to me the DBR has plenty of connectivity), have flyware which is useful for flying your speakers (which I never do), and sound slightly better. Some pros for the DBRs are that the finish on them is more durable and they cost alot less while still providing basically the same sound and having the same 7 year warranty.
dj_soo 3:50 AM - 2 December, 2015
DXR anything is better tha ZLX anything.

The EKX line are EV speakers that are a closer match to the DXRs
DTweed 3:58 AM - 2 December, 2015
I got the ZLX they will suit your needs if you don't feel like spending the extra cash especially if you're going to use a sub because then your bass will be covered
DJZed 4:37 AM - 2 December, 2015
You get what you pay for--there's a reason the DXR12s are twice as expensive as the ZLX12ps.
Dj Rehab 8:08 PM - 2 December, 2015
I have the DXR8s and the DXR15 as well as a pair of ZLX12's. The Yamahas sound better, BUT the ZLX+ a QSC KW181 is a great little system. My choice for weddings, I like the DXR8s for their perfect clarity for ceremonies. My DXR15s haven't been touched in almost a year, they are super heavy.
DTweed 8:41 PM - 2 December, 2015
Quote:
I have the DXR8s and the DXR15 as well as a pair of ZLX12's. The Yamahas sound better, BUT the ZLX+ a QSC KW181 is a great little system. My choice for weddings, I like the DXR8s for their perfect clarity for ceremonies. My DXR15s haven't been touched in almost a year, they are super heavy.

Why do we DJ's buy multiple speaker systems lol? Surprise you bring out the bigger ZLX instead of the DRX to use with your subs.

I basically got 3 systems that serve a purpose

JBL EON510 - Super light that I use for small events, retail stores and cocktail hour for weddings that require a second system

QSC K10s - I use these in conjunction with my JBL PRX 715 XLF subs. These are for weddings and events where I know there is going to be a lot of dancing and need the bass

EV ZLX 12p - I use these for parties of 100 people are less where I dont feel like bringing out my subs. They work great in smaller venues as they provide enough bass but not enough that you are overpowering your guest if you were to bring subs out.
DTweed 8:42 PM - 2 December, 2015
Quote:
Fellow Dj,

Newbie DJ here piecing my setup together. Been having my eye and saving up for the Yamaha DXR12's had them in my cart and decided to do some more research and came across the EV Zlx12ps. Super newbie as of now doing 1-3 gigs per month mainly backyard stuff 40-60 people. I do have 2 weddings next spring both are expecting between 100-150 one of them being outside. So I am curious to know if I should pull the trigger on the yamahas($1399) or get the Evs($799). I am open format play hip hop, edm, rock, salsa, merengue I know for the weddings I am renting a sub(I don't see the need to drop $1500+ when I can rent for a weekend for$50). I have attached link of both package deals. Considering even getting a '15 if that suits the style of music I play better.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

www.amazon.com

www.amazon.com

www.amazon.com

www.amazon.com

To answer your question. If you're going to do like most of us gear whores and buy multiple systems you can start off with these since they're cheaper and save up to get another set of speakers to expand or if you like these just add a sub in the future.
Dj Rehab 9:37 PM - 2 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Why do we DJ's buy multiple speaker systems lol? Surprise you bring out the bigger ZLX instead of the DRX to use with your subs.

JBL EON510 - Super light that I use for small events, retail stores and cocktail hour for weddings that require a second system

QSC K10s - I use these in conjunction with my JBL PRX 715 XLF subs. These are for weddings and events where I know there is going to be a lot of dancing and need the bass

EV ZLX 12p - I use these for parties of 100 people are less where I dont feel like bringing out my subs. They work great in smaller venues as they provide enough bass but not enough that you are overpowering your guest if you were to bring subs out.

I always carry my sub now and DXR8's do sound great with them. But I like the sound of the ZLXs. Your right, i think it's an addiction, buying gear...
lvmez 12:00 AM - 3 December, 2015
Buy the DRX's and you will not need any other system. ZLX are lower end speakers unlike the DRX's.

You can always buy a sub later.
Al Poulin 2:43 AM - 3 December, 2015
For a begginer with a limited budget and keeping in mind the type of gigs you are doing, I personally would go with a pair of DBR15s with covers. Minimal investment for such quality that will keep a fairly high resale value if well maintained.

Use them for a while and if your business gets busier and you get bigger gigs, you should be able to sell the DBR15s and move up to something like DXR8s over DXS12s, which is my current favorite setup for my bigger gigs. Of course, I also have my DXR15s - which I use for most smaller bookings. Like many in this thread, I am Lucky to have many speakers which can be mixed and matched to make a few different setups. :-)
Joee 9:39 PM - 3 December, 2015
i would chose dbr/dxr over the zlx

zlx are great sounding speakers, but they don't get loud enough if you are doing bigger gigs…a 12" rcf got much louder than the zlx15p in my experience

also these would be a great choice www.ebay.com
DTweed 9:14 AM - 6 December, 2015
Quote:

zlx are great sounding speakers, but they don't get loud enough if you are doing bigger gigs…a 12" rcf got much louder than the zlx15p in my experience

Yeah I think I just may recant my statement. I used the ZLX at Dave n Busters tonight and they didn't get as loud as I wanted em to. Granted it was a large open space and my QSCs may not fit the bill either I would still recommend the Yamahas because I'd rather 4 QSCs than 2 K10s and 2 EVs
Lrose951 1:39 AM - 19 December, 2015
Quote:
Zlx12ps. Super newbie as of now doing 1-3 gigs per month mainly backyard stuff 40-60 people. I do have 2 weddings next spring both are expecting between 100-150 one of them being outside. So I am curious to know if I should pull the trigger on the yamahas($1399) or get the

Yeah The 15s are pretty massive from what I hear. Thats why I was leaning more towards the DXR12s.
Appreciate the feedback.
Lrose951 1:45 AM - 19 December, 2015
Quote:

Going to try and test the dXr/qsc/rcfs out at pssl tomorrow and then make a final decision.

Thanks for the advice.
Leon
Lrose951 1:46 AM - 19 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah I think I just may recant my statement. I used the ZLX at Dave n Busters tonight and they didn't get as loud as I wanted em to. Granted it was a large open space and my QSCs may not fit the bill either I would still recommend the Yamahas because I'd rather 4 QSCs than 2 K10s and 2 EVs

Ar you running with any subs?
Lrose951 1:56 AM - 19 December, 2015
Quote:
For a begginer with a limited budget and keeping in mind the type of gigs you are doing, I personally would go with a pair of DBR15s with covers. Minimal investment for such quality that will keep a fairly high resale value if well maintained.

Use them for a while and if your business gets busier and you get bigger gigs, you should be able to sell the DBR15s and move up to something like DXR8s over DXS12s, which is my current favorite setup for my bigger gigs. Of course, I also have my DXR15s - which I use for most smaller bookings. Like many in this thread, I am Lucky to have many speakers which can be mixed and matched to make a few different setups. :-)

So you recommend the DBR15s over the DXR12s?
Lrose951 2:03 AM - 19 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

All the backyard gigs I have had people have been up dancing well into the night. Do you think QSCK12s would be a better option than the Yamaha dbr/dxr? I am leaning towards getting a sub as well since majority of my music sounds better with bass.
dj_soo 3:14 AM - 19 December, 2015
DXR12s are better than K12s imo.

K12s will be better than the DBR but probably not by enough to justify almost double the cost.