Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Serato "Pyro" should be Serato "Pulse"

Dj Wunder 12:24 PM - 20 November, 2015
With Pulselocker coming soon, giving us the ability to play music from the cloud, it seems like Serato missed an opportunity with their new standalone iOS player.

I don't know what "Pyro" is supposed to signify, but "Pulse" seems to be a much better name for what is essentially a party playlist app. Now imagine if that same app were tied to your Serato profile, and that dope playlist you put together for the homies BBQ on the "Pulse" app was automagically added to your Serato library through the Pulselocker platform, where it could be further curated in to a mixtape or club set. Add the ability to set cues and loops in the app, which appear in Serato, and you've got yourself one hell of a preparation tool.

Jus' sayin'
Dj Wunder 9:52 PM - 20 November, 2015
If the Pulselocker subscription gave me this kind of workflow, I'd sign up on release day. As it stands now, a simple streaming-in-Serato option with no option to buy and own tracks, I'm probably not likely to sign up.
deejdave 10:28 PM - 20 November, 2015
You are assuming PL would have prices that compete with iTunes, Juno, Amazon etc. which is HIGHLY unlikely. If the tracks are even $.50 more the NOBODY would purchase from them as the total cost difference would be monumental ............... at least if you purchase as much music as a pro DJ.

I hate to point out the obvious here but Streaming and purchasing music are practically polar opposites and often times one has nothing to do with the other. People get involved with streaming options BECAUSE they do not wish to purchase songs. Keeping this in mind I am sure PL knows this would be just about the largest waste of time any streaming company could get involved with.

Spotify's success comes to mind here as a shining example of what a successful streaming option should be.

As far as "Pulse" I am not sure how wise it would be for Serato to go with a shortened name of some other company as keep in mind Serato does not in any way own Pulselocker. As a matter of fact PL happens to be partners with some of Serato's competition as well.

Lastly Pulselocker WILL be releasing a mobile app in 2016 so this should be close to what you are looking for.

When this is released my suggestion would be to create a playlist for songs you like and wish to purchase and add as you DJ. Then you can go to your store of choice (which again I guarantee WILL be cheaper than what PL could EVER offer period) and purchase all of them. It's not like you would be purchasing on the fly anyways unless making purchases on other people's (often unreliable and unsecure) or public wi-fi sounds is at all appealing to you.

Just my two cents. One thing is for sure though is that Pulselocker will be a success as they are by no means a new company AND they can get by with only a ridiculously small market share :)
Dj Wunder 1:08 AM - 21 November, 2015
Quote:
You are assuming PL would have prices that compete with iTunes, Juno, Amazon etc. which is HIGHLY unlikely. If the tracks are even $.50 more the NOBODY would purchase from them as the total cost difference would be monumental ............... at least if you purchase as much music as a pro DJ.

Of course they would, prices range wildly on those sites, along with file quality, and people still use all of those servieces. I'm sure PL could land in there nicely with 320 mp3s. Remember, they're already getting paid through streaming, this is just a de-encryption of the file!

Quote:
I hate to point out the obvious here but Streaming and purchasing music are practically polar opposites and often times one has nothing to do with the other.

Exactly why it's such a pain in the ass in it's current state. Why I am I paying for listening and playlisting on Spotify while purchasing in iTunes/Beatport/etc.. and gigging with SDJ?? If my streaming option translated to my SDJ playlists, with the option to buy tracks that I wanted to edit or own forever, that just makes me a more efficient digger. Fact.

Quote:
People get involved with streaming options BECAUSE they do not wish to purchase songs. Keeping this in mind I am sure PL knows this would be just about the largest waste of time any streaming company could get involved with.

Yes, People do. DJ's, on the other hand, require a little more for their music digging, and being that PL is targeting DJ's, they should keep THAT in mind, and realize that they are not just any other streaming company.

Quote:
Spotify's success comes to mind here as a shining example of what a successful streaming option should be.

Yeah, uhm, Spotify, as much as I love the service for personal use, has never made money. Success? www.theguardian.com

Quote:
As far as "Pulse" I am not sure how wise it would be for Serato to go with a shortened name of some other company as keep in mind Serato does not in any way own Pulselocker. As a matter of fact PL happens to be partners with some of Serato's competition as well.

Irrelevant. You don't see M$ (makers of the Vista OS) going after Vistaprint.com because they have the same word in their product. That's not even close to a valid argument. Not that I care what they call the product. I guess my overall point is that Serato invested resources creating this totally separate app, they could at least have integrated it with the DJ experience (not the wanna-be-DJ experience). There is an opportunity here for both DJs and Regular Joe's to use the exact same app, maybe even collaborate, while still giving the DJ a powerful integration with their gig software.

Quote:
Lastly Pulselocker WILL be releasing a mobile app in 2016 so this should be close to what you are looking for.

What I'm looking for is a SERATO app that makes my music digging experience feel like I'm living in the year 2016. No PL app will ever have the capability to set Serato data (cues/loops/flips/etc..)

Quote:
When this is released my suggestion would be to create a playlist for songs you like and wish to purchase and add as you DJ. Then you can go to your store of choice (which again I guarantee WILL be cheaper than what PL could EVER offer period) and purchase all of them. It's not like you would be purchasing on the fly anyways unless making purchases on other people's (often unreliable and unsecure) or public wi-fi sounds is at all appealing to you.

None of that sounds appealing, and you've just described exactly the tired workflow I currently employ. The antiquated manual effort of building a playlist in a streaming service, then manually visiting another store and purchasing one by one (or visiting my $30-$60/month DJ pool and downloading one by one), then the final step importing in to Serato and setting cues and everything. You bring up the cost factor, but using this old method costs me far more, because I have to pay for each individual track, no matter how terrible it may be.

The method I'm proposing is this: From ONE app, I get my playlists together, full of songs that I may want to purchase along with all the other garbage being released that I don't want cluttering my permanent library, but need to play for the next month or so. From this ONE app, I can begin the process of listening to/learning the music, ordering the music in these playlists, setting cues and other Serato info (which is why it needs to be a Serato app, not PL or anything else) all while I'm out and about, away from my gig laptop. I can also mark tracks for purchase or 'offline' storage. When I get back to my gig laptop, those playlists are ALREADY in my Serato library! Analyzed, cues, loops, flips, whatever, all set! The tracks I marked for purchase are on my hard drive, no encryption, ready to edit in a DAW, ready to back up to my external drives and the cloud. Any tracks I marked for 'offline' (temporary) storage are also downloaded, with all their DRM nastiness in tact. There is also Tyga's latest track in the playlist, ready to stream if I really, really need to play it. And I did this ALL during the natural breaks in my day, driving home, whatever, meaning that I don't have to spend that time at my gig laptop when I get home, I can move directly to actually getting on the decks! Or cooking dinner! Or hitting the gym! Playing ball! XBOX! ANYTHING other than music digging on the couch, BECAUSE THAT PART OF MY DAY HAS ALREADY BEEN HANDLED.

THAT is my 2 cents. A Serato service that truly brings us in to 2015 and beyond, giving us a logical way to fully leverage today's technology when we curate our music libraries.
Dj Wunder 1:13 AM - 21 November, 2015
And by the way, thanks deejdave. Now that you forced me to really explain myself, I see that this is truly an idea worth fighting for. Maybe I'll code it up myself? Now I just need to learn how to code...
deejdave 1:52 AM - 21 November, 2015
I wish you luck.
Dj Wunder 1:53 AM - 21 November, 2015
Quote:
I wish you luck.

That's it? Have my counterpoints not inspired further debate?
deejdave 1:56 AM - 21 November, 2015
Quote:
You don't see M$ (makers of the Vista OS) going after Vistaprint.com

MS is a software developer and Vistaprint is a printing company

Pulselocker and Pyro are BOTH streaming platforms

If you promise to stay on topic I will continue. Deal?
deejdave 2:00 AM - 21 November, 2015
Furthermore Pulselocker is a brand new partner they just teamed up with. Would swiping their name be in the best interest of them........................... especially when PL has already stated they will be releasing a mobile app?

Now you've got Pulse Vs. Pulselocker who happen to be partners...................... None of this seems "off" to you?
deejdave 2:02 AM - 21 November, 2015
BTW I don't mean to come off condescending or as a bully it just seems so obviously wrong to me.
Dj Wunder 2:10 AM - 21 November, 2015
Quote:
BTW I don't mean to come off condescending or as a bully it just seems so obviously wrong to me.

You're right, and it was a mistake to title this thread "Pyro should be Pulse", but for the sake of the bigger discussion, let's leave the name out of it. I regret naming the thread that way because it's become a point of contention to you. I actually agree with your point, naming the Serato app "Pulse" would muddy the waters.

So... that being said, if the Serato product carried it's current name, but included the functionalities I've laid out here, would that not interest you?
deejdave 4:05 AM - 21 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

You're right, and it was a mistake to title this thread "Pyro should be Pulse", but for the sake of the bigger discussion, let's leave the name out of it. I regret naming the thread that way because it's become a point of contention to you. I actually agree with your point, naming the Serato app "Pulse" would muddy the waters.

So... that being said, if the Serato product carried it's current name, but included the functionalities I've laid out here, would that not interest you?

LOL actually yeah it would. I think Pyro should be the fullest experience away from home without attempting to become an actual mobile DJ platform. Cue points alone would be enough to sell me on the idea.
deejdave 4:08 AM - 21 November, 2015
Quote:
without attempting to become an actual mobile DJ platform

Without attempting to become THE MAIN DJ platform I should say as SDJ should remain the focus platform. Make it aid or a copanion app for sure but making it a standalone solution for Pro DJ's and we are right back on our way to the whole SSL, SDJ, SD Intro & Itch days.
Dj Wunder 8:15 PM - 21 November, 2015
I can only imagine that a companion app is the end game here. I can't imagine Serato saying, "let's bail on fixing the bugs in SDJ to create a steaming app, a proven money loser, or a DJ-from-your-iPhone app, which would alienate their use base
deejdave 6:08 AM - 22 November, 2015
To be fair I am sure they have an entirely different team working on each element of SDJ let alone Pyro for coding reasons alone. At the same time I feel the "push" should always be stronger on their flagship software no matter how well or poor pyro may do.
Dj Owe 12:43 PM - 7 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Of course they would, prices range wildly on those sites, along with file quality, and people still use all of those servieces. I'm sure PL could land in there nicely with 320 mp3s. Remember, they're already getting paid through streaming, this is just a de-encryption of the file!

Quote:
I hate to point out the obvious here but Streaming and purchasing music are practically polar opposites and often times one has nothing to do with the other.

Exactly why it's such a pain in the ass in it's current state. Why I am I paying for listening and playlisting on Spotify while purchasing in iTunes/Beatport/etc.. and gigging with SDJ?? If my streaming option translated to my SDJ playlists, with the option to buy tracks that I wanted to edit or own forever, that just makes me a more efficient digger. Fact.

Quote:
People get involved with streaming options BECAUSE they do not wish to purchase songs. Keeping this in mind I am sure PL knows this would be just about the largest waste of time any streaming company could get involved with.

Yes, People do. DJ's, on the other hand, require a little more for their music digging, and being that PL is targeting DJ's, they should keep THAT in mind, and realize that they are not just any other streaming company.

Quote:

Yeah, uhm, Spotify, as much as I love the service for personal use, has never made money. Success? www.theguardian.com

Quote:

Irrelevant. You don't see M$ (makers of the Vista OS) going after Vistaprint.com because they have the same word in their product. That's not even close to a valid argument. Not that I care what they call the product. I guess my overall point is that Serato invested resources creating this totally separate app, they could at least have integrated it with the DJ experience (not the wanna-be-DJ experience). There is an opportunity here for both DJs and Regular Joe's to use the exact same app, maybe even collaborate, while still giving the DJ a powerful integration with their gig software.

Quote:

What I'm looking for is a SERATO app that makes my music digging experience feel like I'm living in the year 2016. No PL app will ever have the capability to set Serato data (cues/loops/flips/etc..)

Quote:

None of that sounds appealing, and you've just described exactly the tired workflow I currently employ. The antiquated manual effort of building a playlist in a streaming service, then manually visiting another store and purchasing one by one (or visiting my $30-$60/month DJ pool and downloading one by one), then the final step importing in to Serato and setting cues and everything. You bring up the cost factor, but using this old method costs me far more, because I have to pay for each individual track, no matter how terrible it may be.

The method I'm proposing is this: From ONE app, I get my playlists together, full of songs that I may want to purchase along with all the other garbage being released that I don't want cluttering my permanent library, but need to play for the next month or so. From this ONE app, I can begin the process of listening to/learning the music, ordering the music in these playlists, setting cues and other Serato info (which is why it needs to be a Serato app, not PL or anything else) all while I'm out and about, away from my gig laptop. I can also mark tracks for purchase or 'offline' storage. When I get back to my gig laptop, those playlists are ALREADY in my Serato library! Analyzed, cues, loops, flips, whatever, all set! The tracks I marked for purchase are on my hard drive, no encryption, ready to edit in a DAW, ready to back up to my external drives and the cloud. Any tracks I marked for 'offline' (temporary) storage are also downloaded, with all their DRM nastiness in tact. There is also Tyga's latest track in the playlist, ready to stream if I really, really need to play it. And I did this ALL during the natural breaks in my day, driving home, whatever, meaning that I don't have to spend that time at my gig laptop when I get home, I can move directly to actually getting on the decks! Or cooking dinner! Or hitting the gym! Playing ball! XBOX! ANYTHING other than music digging on the couch, BECAUSE THAT PART OF MY DAY HAS ALREADY BEEN HANDLED.

THAT is my 2 cents. A Serato service that truly brings us in to 2015 and beyond, giving us a logical way to fully leverage today's technology when we curate our music libraries.

Yeah bro agree 100. This would be the perfect way to live day to day as a dj and a normal person. Life would be so much easier doing crates cuepoints etc during natural breaks.