DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Pioneer S9 Paint Chipping

AIRX ONE 10:23 PM - 5 November, 2015
Really Pioneer still using crap paint SMH ... On the up side this mixer is so good i love it
Gio Alex 11:38 PM - 5 November, 2015
You mean like on the 909. Everyone's 909 looks like it has aids.
Niro 3:47 AM - 6 November, 2015
Quote:
😄
Djkom 9:15 AM - 6 November, 2015
Any photos?
DJMello 2:28 PM - 6 November, 2015
Paint never chipped on my 909 except for around the crossfader and I beat that thing to hell!! Yeah I'd like to see some pics too.
Djkom 3:40 PM - 6 November, 2015
Quote:
Paint never chipped on my 909 except for around the crossfader and I beat that thing to hell!! Yeah I'd like to see some pics too.

You're lucky => ssli.ebayimg.com$_86.JPG
Djkom 3:40 PM - 6 November, 2015
"ssli.ebayimg.com$_86.JPG"
Djkom 3:41 PM - 6 November, 2015
the link failed :(

**ssli.ebayimg.com$_86.JPG**
Djkom 3:43 PM - 6 November, 2015
ok... don't know how to post it here ... so just add h t t p s : // before the text below

ssli.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/bCsAAOSwgQ9Vx334/$_86.JPG
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:02 PM - 6 November, 2015
my 909 still looks new

instagram.com

I guess because I am not a turntablist ;)
MPC O.G. 7:26 AM - 7 November, 2015
When the Z2 had the same problem THIS FORUM went apeshit. I guess because it has PIONEER on it, it's OK. Sheeple.....Carry on though.
Jiglo 12:50 PM - 7 November, 2015
Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. It's just a tool not a piece of aesthetics.

I'm still trying to decide whether to trade my 62 in for a S9. The 62 is a beast, but there's lots of stuff on it that I don't need and some cool stuff on the S9 that I think i'd really make good use of.

I think i'll wait for a head to head from someone I respect, so I can see the strengths and pitfalls of each model side by side.
AIRX ONE 10:03 PM - 7 November, 2015
Lets see if this works www.facebook.com
DJ GaFFle 10:04 PM - 7 November, 2015
Quote:
Really Pioneer still using crap paint SMH ... On the up side this mixer is so good i love it

Is English not your first language?
AIRX ONE 10:09 PM - 7 November, 2015
Whats the problem asshole
AIRX ONE 10:12 PM - 7 November, 2015
Seven other people understood just fine .... That would make the problem you
DJ GaFFle 10:18 PM - 7 November, 2015
Quote:
Whats the problem asshole

My bad fugboi... your missing punctuation had me totally discombobulated.

Quote:
Really, Pioneer still using crap paint SMH... On the up side, this mixer is so good... I love it!

Fixed
AIRX ONE 10:34 PM - 7 November, 2015
Oh i see. Please go teach "English" somewhere else.

#getalife
DJ GaFFle 10:43 PM - 7 November, 2015
Forreals though... I thought you were saying the paint on the side of the mixer was cheap/chipping YET you were praising the mixer all in one sentence. I got it now. Your FB pics explain it.
AIRX ONE 11:16 PM - 7 November, 2015
This is why one should know all the info about something before running off at the mouth...
The only paint on the mixer is on the bottom face plate and front. The paint chipping has been a problem with pioneer mixers for a long time. I made this post for those that understand the ongoing problem. I'm over this conversion. Have good weekend
DJ GaFFle 11:39 PM - 7 November, 2015
Cool...

I honestly was reading this post from my cell at first. The other dude posted so many failed links that I wasn't trying to click on any more and didn't notice your Facebook link. I wasn't running off at the mouth, just confused by your bad writing.
ozfrombk 12:22 AM - 8 November, 2015
Punctuation does really go a long way. Especially when communicating via text on the web.

But back to the S9. Better than the 62? Thoughts? I saw DJ TLM's review and was so tempted to order one.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:03 AM - 8 November, 2015
62 vs s9 = unfair comparison due to the 62 being 3 years old and originally released for ScratchLive?

But Rane is still definitely a better built quality. S9 better for SDJ? yes since Pio had more time to design it for SDJ. Merging the DDJSP1 into a mixer was the next logical step.
MPC O.G. 6:10 AM - 8 November, 2015
The 57II with the new midi mapping capabilities is what the S9 should be compared to.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:11 PM - 8 November, 2015
Quote:
But Rane is still definitely a better built quality.

I guess my quote just got proof lol
Posted by an DJM-S9 user on Facebook.

i21.servimg.com
He stated that he was only doing beat juggling when it broke.
DJ Dynamight 2:15 PM - 8 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

i21.servimg.com

😱😱😱
Damn!!
DJ GaFFle 2:28 PM - 8 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i21.servimg.com

😱😱😱
Damn!!

Profits and $ales first... delivering a top quality product, an afterthought. #RaneFTW
Djkom 3:14 PM - 8 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

i21.servimg.com

Damn Damn Damn !!! Can't understand how the guy has managed to break it like this !!!
MPC O.G. 3:30 PM - 8 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i21.servimg.com

Damn Damn Damn !!! Can't understand how the guy has managed to break it like this !!!

Easy. It's a cheaply made P.O.S. BUT it has a Pio logo on it. I say AGAIN, when NI dropped the Z2 people went crazy over paint rubbing off easily, rightfully so, but Pio gear breaks.....USER ERROR.
MPC O.G. 3:32 PM - 8 November, 2015
And to add on to my statement, the cross fader is the biggest selling point of the unit. They could have easily put InnoFader minis in it and called it a day. I wonder why they didn't?
DJ GaFFle 3:43 PM - 8 November, 2015
Quote:
And to add on to my statement, the cross fader is the biggest selling point of the unit. They could have easily put InnoFader minis in it and called it a day. I wonder why they didn't?

Seriously... serato.com. They already took shorts on the up/down faders being non-magnetic.

This is the first run so maybe they'll see complaints and revamp that crossfader build quality making it more robust. There should be no excuse for this though considering their pedigree in the Pro DJ market. Like you said, the crossfader is the biggest selling point.
Dj Shamann 5:50 PM - 8 November, 2015
Wow, a friend of mine got two of these things and is about to sell his 62. I wanted to buy the 62 but at the risk of not getting it, I gotta show him this thread and tell him to hold on to that thing for a while. Chipped paint is one thing, but a snapped fader? I don't think I've ever seen that before.
Mr. Goodkat 7:44 PM - 8 November, 2015
Quote:
When the Z2 had the same problem THIS FORUM went apeshit. I guess because it has PIONEER on it, it's OK. Sheeple.....Carry on though.

i think the z2's came off in about a day. the pio has been taking a month.

either way, wasnt a big deal for me. ive had both and the Z2(week it came out) was much worse. they even sent out metal faceplate replacements.

i had a feeling that the S9 was gonna come off because it had the look of the first z2 faceplate.
Mr. Goodkat 7:49 PM - 8 November, 2015
poproxx did say he broke a few xfaders on the srt.

i just dont know how you do that unless the faders are poorly manufactured.

i used mine quite a bit in a year, practicing scratching and ive had zero problems.

had one in a club for year with several djs playing on it, again no problem.
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:04 AM - 9 November, 2015
Quote:
Wow, a friend of mine got two of these things and is about to sell his 62. I wanted to buy the 62 but at the risk of not getting it, I gotta show him this thread and tell him to hold on to that thing for a while. Chipped paint is one thing, but a snapped fader? I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Seen quite a few posts and herd of issues with the Rane TTM57mkll faders snapping. (Ranes good custer services they just send you a whole new set out)

Also arnt Rane mixers a sticker and Pioneer paint/printed graphics.
ozfrombk 1:37 AM - 9 November, 2015
I've never owned a Pio mixer but I have played on them. When it comes to build quality and feel, they do leave something left to be desired when compared to Rane.

I saw that post with the snapped fader. That's wild. I still have my trusty 56s. I have to look into the 57II
The Return of Dj Sparky 2:07 AM - 9 November, 2015
first mixer batches nearly always have problems

you seem to forget that your beloved Rane also had teething problems with many of their mixers but i you guys all forgot that already
PopRoXxX 2:26 AM - 9 November, 2015
Quote:
poproxx did say he broke a few xfaders on the srt..

Yes I did and yes they were poorly manufactured. Broke 2 stock Pioneer "magnetic" crossfaders. Replaced with Innofader and never broke another fader. Never broke a Rane fader (yet lol) either. I'm a drummer and I am heavy handed.

What's funny to me is that Pioneer says magnetic fader and it also has plastic gears and other plastic addition pieces. Rane says magnetic fader and its just a fader with a tiny circuit board. (I'm not electrician/solder guy either)
The Return of Dj Sparky 2:36 AM - 9 November, 2015
if your refering to these plastic gears, they are for the tension adjust and feel,

medias.audiofanzine.com

as for the magnetic part, its just how the fader reads the position,
as the old faders used a carbon strip to measure/know what its position and which was prone to wear and causing the fader to fail, magnatic means their is no friction and it wont wear out like a traditional carbon linnear potentiometer
PopRoXxX 3:24 AM - 9 November, 2015
Quote:
if your refering to these plastic gears, they are for the tension adjust and feel,

Yes. But the SRT doesn't have those features and still has the cheap added parts on their "magnetic" fader.

IMO all the added adjustments to the crossfader that they did are not not needed. Just a selling point for them and also to make everyone go "ooooo" and "aahhhh". The SZ had a tension adjustment on the magvel fader, but no one really cared about it ....... till now? lol
Niro 3:26 AM - 9 November, 2015
Quote:
first mixer batches nearly always have problems

you seem to forget that your beloved Rane also had teething problems with many of their mixers but i you guys all forgot that already

I don't think anyone forgot, but Rane's customer service handled it with grace. There will always be issues with products, especially ones that physically gets used and abused like dj gear. The product testing sometimes is very different from real world use. People will push buttons at different angled, places....etc. hold their faders at different presure points....etc. this is where the afterwards matter. Fixing it and realeasing a mkii and leaving the origianl users in the dust is only good (for the company, not end user) when your company isn't transparent and has big enough of a customer cycle base.
desmorider 3:51 AM - 9 November, 2015
How long is the warranty on the S9? Couldn't find it on their website.
DJBlisk 6:31 AM - 9 November, 2015
You guys know Rane faders snap too right?????!!!
WarpNote 7:50 AM - 9 November, 2015
Wouldn't an addon faceplate remedy the issue? -> www.12inchskinz.com
DJ_SHMOO-agiprodj 6:05 PM - 9 November, 2015
Quote:
How long is the warranty on the S9? Couldn't find it on their website.

According the manual all Pioneer DJ products are 1 Yr

docs.pioneer.eu
AIRX ONE 6:11 PM - 9 November, 2015
Quote:

Yes i have already talk to Jared about getting one. But this is not ok after five days of light use. This is a problem for many S9 users in the Pioneer forums as well. As for the broken fader he modified the fader now if this was the reason it broke i don't know..
AIRX ONE 6:12 PM - 9 November, 2015
*talked
AIRX ONE 6:14 PM - 9 November, 2015
DJ Tracktion 7:27 PM - 9 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Yes i have already talk to Jared about getting one. But this is not ok after five days of light use. This is a problem for many S9 users in the Pioneer forums as well. As for the broken fader he modified the fader now if this was the reason it broke i don't know..

Yeah, no reason to take this additional step for a product with this price tag and designed for pro working Djs.
DJBlisk 8:54 PM - 9 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, no reason to take this additional step for a product with this price tag and designed for pro working Djs.

All mixers get scraped up sooner or later. What are you talking about?
PopRoXxX 9:00 PM - 9 November, 2015
Quote:

Yes they do. But in the very first month? Took longer than that on all my non-Pio mixers
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:07 PM - 9 November, 2015
Pioneer should have followed Rane and done the top plate as a sticker even if it was just the fader section!
WarpNote 9:23 PM - 9 November, 2015
Quote:
But this is not ok after five days of light use.
Agreed.
Quote:
Agreed again.

My only reason for posting that comment, was to remind people about some sort of remedy, not saying that its ok that the pain chips. Thant being said, I don't have any problems with paint chipping on my 900 SRT....
StylesD 11:32 PM - 9 November, 2015
Quote:

this made me LOL so hard. mine definitely looked like it had the bug
DJ Tracktion 12:00 AM - 10 November, 2015
Quote:
Yes they do. But in the very first month? Took longer than that on all my non-Pio mixers

Exactly....and actually my 2 57's are in pretty pristine condition. Both used regularly and both in road cases...no scratches/chips.

Quote:
not saying that its ok that the pain chips.

no worries, weren't saying you were.
WarpNote 1:20 AM - 10 November, 2015
@ Tracktion, 'Saul Goodmann ! :D (Its all good man)
Mr. Goodkat 1:26 AM - 10 November, 2015
Quote:
Thant being said, I don't have any problems with paint chipping on my 900 SRT....

i got them on the xfader and the 2nd channel fader.

but only the xfader is about all the way gone. the 800s wore away as well soon too.

always thinks it looks cool, like broken in jeans.
WarpNote 2:12 AM - 10 November, 2015
Yeah, regularly see paint gone in clubs, just not on my own mixer.
Quote:
always thinks it looks cool, like broken in jeans.

Not so sure about this part though, more like worn out jeans IMO ;-)
sumoJr 4:04 AM - 10 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I dont know how old my 57 is but it still looks like new
and I bought it new. and I would say I am a scratch dj, its not a pretty faceplate by any means but its doesnt show any wear
sumoJr 4:07 AM - 10 November, 2015
bought it used**
Djkom 2:13 PM - 9 December, 2015
A guy found a pretty cool solution to prevent this paint issue:

Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com
Niro 2:42 PM - 9 December, 2015
Just make sure to use not a super sticky adhesive. I remember doing that yo my old vestax mixers to keep it looking new, but the lines stuck to the clear sticker when i peeled it off.
Djkom 3:11 PM - 9 December, 2015
I think it is tempered glass like those we can find for mobile phones for screen protection.

Tempered glasses are very robust and relatively cheep and they don't have cosmetic issues even if they are peeled off
AIRX ONE 4:59 PM - 9 December, 2015
Paint chipping fixed ... www.facebook.com
Chris Deluxe 9:19 PM - 9 December, 2015
Pioneer uses a different paint since the DJM900. I have never seen a DJM900 with paint chirps like on the DJM800 or 909. I guess/hope they used the same paint on the S9.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:27 PM - 9 December, 2015
Quote:
Paint chipping fixed ... www.facebook.com

Wish it was magnetic :)