Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Set classical key to sharp or flat, not both

Joe Fresh 7:00 PM - 5 November, 2015
I use classical key to display keys in Serato. Before 1.8, I used Mixed in Key to analyze track keys. They have a setting for choosing what kind of musical key to write, either sharps or flats.

I would very much like to have this option in Serato DJ. A couple of ideas to implement this:

- write/display either sharps or flats when Classical Key is selected (I would prefer flats)
- have two dropdown menu options in key display, "Classical Key (Sharps)" and "Classical Key (Flats)"

It's not helpful to have some keys written and displayed as sharps and others as flats. If I'm looking for a track in the key of A-flat minor, I don't want to have to search for "Abm" and "G#m", or have to make two smart crates to populate all tracks in the same key.
Serato
Geoff.B 12:48 AM - 23 November, 2015
It should be noted that if you set your key display to Classical Key, there should never be a situation where G#m is shown instead of Abm. Following classical key notation convention, only the key with the least number of sharps or flats is shown.

That's not intended to detract from your request in any way, but I wanted to point it out.
Joe Fresh 4:15 AM - 23 November, 2015
Is there a reason why some keys are shown as sharps when in Classical Key display?
Specifically G-flat minor and D-flat minor, they are displayed as F#m and C#m, even if I write in the tag manually as Gbm or Dbm.
I would prefer if everything was displayed as flats.
Serato
Geoff.B 5:21 AM - 23 November, 2015
As I said, we follow classical key naming conventions. You could refer to the circle of fifths: en.wikipedia.org

There is no G-flat minor. To a musician, this would represent a key that has nine flats, four of which are double-flats on B and E. Trying to read and play music written in such a key would really hurt the brain. Especially when there is an equivalent key, F-sharp minor, that has three sharps. This also avoids the difficulty of considering that the relative major of "G-flat minor" would be "B double-flat", instead of A.

The only boundary case here is for keys that can be written with either 6 sharps or 6 flats. In that case, a choice has been made to select one.
Joe Fresh 5:51 AM - 23 November, 2015
I understand it from a musical theory standpoint, it's just unhelpful from a DJ workflow standpoint for me. I'm just accustomed to thinking of (and searching for) every track in terms of flats.
Serato
Geoff.B 10:29 PM - 23 November, 2015
Yep, I totally understand. I just came across your post, and thought I would provide clarity on why it was implemented this way. Your request would essentially add two additional classical key modes ("theoretical keys", really). It wouldn't be okay to replace classical key with those two views.

There is no technical reason why extra view options could not be added, but there may be product reasons. As a software engineer it's not my place to discuss this, and I can't provide you with any additional insight. We have a whole team of people who make these kinds of decisions, and then ask the developers how painful it will be to code. =)

If you find more people who want this feature, get them in here and make some noise.
Joe Fresh 5:14 AM - 24 November, 2015
Ok, thanks Geoff.