DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

TTM57SL OSX El Capitan - BIG PROBLEM!!

chokidj 7:37 PM - 20 September, 2015
I installed OSX El Capitan GM and now does not work scratch live. does not recognize the sound card of my TTM57SL. any solution?
We are many people who still use this software, you can not leave without giving a minimal support.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:39 PM - 20 September, 2015
Well your problem is you installed it LOL

It is not supported yet by Serato. You took the risk.

Quote:
Hi there guys,

Wouldn't recommend using El Capitan until it's publicly released and supported within Serato.

As most of you already know using Betas in a live environment is risky business.
chokidj 7:44 PM - 21 September, 2015
I did not know it. Now I can not go back to mavericks. then I can no longer use scratch live?
pdidy 7:40 PM - 23 September, 2015
Quote:
I did not know it. Now I can not go back to mavericks. then I can no longer use scratch live?

yea this was 100% your fault but it can be fixed. Simply backup important files, wipe computer then clean install Mavericks. Problem solved.
Evergood 11:20 AM - 2 October, 2015
I also updated to El Capitan, nor SSL or Serato DJ works on my Sixty-Eight mixer (SL4). HOWEVER, tried my old SL3-box and it works like a charm on both software!
pondy 5:29 PM - 13 October, 2015
Workaround: just delete this file: SeratoScratchDriver.kext

under Macintosh HD > System > Library > Extensions
SirLobster 8:19 PM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:

nope! that does not work :(
chokidj 8:18 PM - 19 October, 2015
update the software so difficult?
now I have to always keep Yosemite if I want to use scratch live.
I do not get it
pdidy 9:23 PM - 19 October, 2015
Quote:
update the software so difficult?
now I have to always keep Yosemite if I want to use scratch live.
I do not get it

I seems pretty simple to understand, what don't you get ?
Madpressure 12:20 PM - 22 October, 2015
What i don't get is that the first time i tested SSL 2.5 it was working nice with my 57SL and my SL1(for one hour on el capitan) Now it's not working anymore (not detecting the hardware). What i truly understand is that Rane always said it's not compatible, but on Yosemite it was working so perfectly, and it's a real shame for a brand like Rane to not develop a stupid driver/kext for (2 years old) Hardware costing so much money.
USB 1.1 on SL1 and 57SL was working perfectly on Yosemite (i Neverhad an issue even if it was not officially supported) so why the fuck Rane developper cannot do something on El Capitan ? If i must go back to Yosemite i will do it and I never will buy any Rane hardware anymore.
pdidy 1:21 PM - 22 October, 2015
Quote:
What i don't get is that the first time i tested SSL 2.5 it was working nice with my 57SL and my SL1(for one hour on el capitan) Now it's not working anymore (not detecting the hardware). What i truly understand is that Rane always said it's not compatible, but on Yosemite it was working so perfectly, and it's a real shame for a brand like Rane to not develop a stupid driver/kext for (2 years old) Hardware costing so much money.
USB 1.1 on SL1 and 57SL was working perfectly on Yosemite (i Neverhad an issue even if it was not officially supported) so why the fuck Rane developper cannot do something on El Capitan ? If i must go back to Yosemite i will do it and I never will buy any Rane hardware anymore.

If you weren't being such a dick about it I'd actually take the time to clearly explain to you why you're wrong and what you need to do but your attitude make you undeserving of help.
PopRoXxX 7:11 PM - 22 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

If you weren't being such a dick about it I'd actually take the time to clearly explain to you why you're wrong and what you need to do but your attitude make you undeserving of help.

Exactly. Holy crap dude. Also, the SL1 & 57SL is WAY older than just 2 years. LOL!!
Madpressure 12:52 PM - 23 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Anyway you're not helping anybody in this conversation... To say its people fault, you're right... BTW it's not a problem for me to go back to Yosemite, Maverick or any mac OS. I'm just sharing my opinion about the Rane support for older hardware (and many people are thinking the same). So mister genius If you got some special knowledge to share or a workaround it's way better than talking badly to people looking for a solution.
I'm so a dickhead so if you have smart things to explain...
Dre' 1:51 AM - 24 November, 2015
Did anyone ever figure a work around to this issue?
mcabaniang 5:25 AM - 16 December, 2015
I heavily rely on my tt57sl mixer. Im hoping they actually look into fixing this. I made the same mistake as well. But I had to downgrade the OSX from el Capitan back to Yosemite to make it work again.
Rane, Support
Zach S 10:09 PM - 22 December, 2015
The original TTM57sl and the SL1, along with Scratch Live, will not ever be officially compatible with Yosemite, El Capitan, or future OSs.
The last compatible Mac OS is Mavericks 10.9. If you want to continue to use the TTM57sl with Scratch Live you will need to use an earlier operating system. (10.8 or 10.9).
romerom 4:16 AM - 23 December, 2015
rufkm? My TTM57SL hardware still works fine, but the scratch live system that was bundled with it is reliant on software.

If you're not going to support future releases, at the very least, make what you've done for the TTM57SL driver OPEN SOURCE so that someone else can potentially take over development if you're deciding to abandon support of a significant chunk of your install base, your TTM57SL users.
pdidy 5:10 AM - 23 December, 2015
Quote:

If you're not going to support future releases, at the very least, make what you've done for the TTM57SL driver OPEN SOURCE so that someone else can potentially take over development if you're deciding to abandon support of a significant chunk of your install base, your TTM57SL users.

not that im against anything that benefits the DJ community but what other major dj software is doing that ?
boabmatic 9:16 AM - 23 December, 2015
The Ttm57 is 10years old ..

It's time to move on or stay on an older OS that is supported.

Rane/Serato have supported that mixer way longer than any other companies would have.

And don't think any company will open up their drivers as you will have lots of proprietary info embedded into it.
romerom 10:26 PM - 24 December, 2015
open source the driver and problem solved - ttm57sl users won't be abandoned and serato comes out looking like it cares about its users.

leave us behind and force us to replace a perfectly working mixer, and you're just another asshole corporation.
romerom 10:30 PM - 24 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

not that im against anything that benefits the DJ community but what other major dj software is doing that ?

why does it matter who else does that? serato / rane is pretty UNIQUE in the dj community. it's not like I can perform update on my 1200's and make the shit refuse to work. abandoning the ttm57sl entirely is the worst precedent you could set for your users.

why the f would I buy your current mixer now? you're saying it's cool for them to completely DUMP support for it during their next round of updated mixers. BOOOOOO - fuck that shit.
pdidy 11:11 PM - 24 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

why does it matter who else does that? serato / rane is pretty UNIQUE in the dj community. it's not like I can perform update on my 1200's and make the shit refuse to work. abandoning the ttm57sl entirely is the worst precedent you could set for your users.

why the f would I buy your current mixer now? you're saying it's cool for them to completely DUMP support for it during their next round of updated mixers. BOOOOOO - fuck that shit.

You seem quite irrational and lack the ability to think with a clear mind, the fact is you have everything you need for your 57 to work forever. I own a 57 and It can and will work as long as I want it to, there's nothing that can stop it from working.

Like i said, I'm all for anything that benefits the DJ but your request is totally irrational and illogical its resembles childlike thinking or someone who does not understand what they're asking for.

Your proposed solution is just a really bad idea.
DJTURIZ 11:22 PM - 26 December, 2015
So why does scratch live 2.5 work after getting installed and then after unplugging and plugging back in it doesn't read the mixer?

El Capitan OS using TTM 57SL
Detroitbootybass 11:28 PM - 26 December, 2015
Quote:
El Capitan

That's your issue.
gjerrus 11:59 AM - 10 January, 2016
Hey guys. As I am reading your posts I am hurting inside with you all. I laughed at all my friends in the DJ community out here in SF for the whole el capitan problem. I had and continued to use yosemite until I heard that el capital was completely dependable.. well, Im here to tell you over the last 48 hours I have too become a very unhappy victim. after basically pissing away almost 2 significant DJ gigs here in SF. I found out I downloaded el capitan somehow completely by accident. Last night the club here had a rane 57, and the club i was booked tonight also had a 57. At both places it was virtually impossible to get USB signal, and or get my virtual decks to appear. After trying for hours at the my first gig on Friday a fellow industry guy drove to my location with a new pioneer mixer to try and save my gig. the 1st night it cost me about $100 and tonight is probably cost me at least an additional $45 Plese HELP.
Niro 8:30 AM - 13 January, 2016
The question is why are yu guys updating? Most professionals in any industry would wait until or usually an OS behind. My gig laptop is still on mavericks.

Honestly the best advice is to learn more about your equipment. If you want to still use an SL1 or 57, then you'll need to downgrade your OS.
djkthreat 6:29 AM - 15 January, 2016
So for about three months I've been booting to an external hard drive with Yosemite on it!

I forgot my hard drive today and plugged my TM57 in with el captain tonight and magically now it works! Thank god!

I did try the delete file fix a while back but just giving you guys a heads up also updated to el captain 10.11.1. I wont be going to 10.11.2
Selectah Richie 2:18 AM - 19 January, 2016
It works for me as well! As I open the SSL i wait for my library to load & plug in the usb and all is good :)
pdidy 3:01 AM - 19 January, 2016
IF YOU ARE A PROFESSIONAL DJ.........Any and All previously mentioned El Capitan File Hacks should be avoided for professional dj use. There are at least 3 confirmed workarounds with high reliability that do not rely on high risk hacks in order to be compatible with ALL Rane mixers and SL boxes including all serato software old to new.

Therefore there's NO reason to use theses hacks professionally except for testing purposes or "Shits and giggles" (www.urbandictionary.com).
djdarrenb808 6:43 AM - 23 January, 2016
Just got a newly refurbed macbook pro from apple. its a 2012 installed with el cap. I'm curious to try the workarounds for my ttm57 and scratch live, but i cannot even get scratch live to install. the installation always fails at the end while validating. is there a trick on getting it to install as well?
Jhon 3:00 PM - 22 March, 2016
tengo el mismo problema que @djdanrrenb808 help!! help!!
Gio Alex 9:25 PM - 22 March, 2016
Quote:
Just got a newly refurbed macbook pro from apple. its a 2012 installed with el cap. I'm curious to try the workarounds for my ttm57 and scratch live, but i cannot even get scratch live to install. the installation always fails at the end while validating. is there a trick on getting it to install as well?

If you got a 2012 MBP you can just install Mavericks or Yosemite on it.
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:01 PM - 23 March, 2016
Fresh off the press --> dj.rane.com

The Sixty-Two, Sixty-Four, Sixty-Eight, Sixty-One, and SL3 drivers for El Capitan are out and available.

The SL2, SL4, MP25, and MP26 are coming soon!
AKIEM 7:42 PM - 23 March, 2016
good
DJ_X_Trodinaire 9:21 PM - 23 March, 2016
Awesome!
Russ Billington 7:49 PM - 3 May, 2016
Quote:

doesnt work
d:raf 11:00 PM - 3 May, 2016
Mtn. Lion 4ever.

blog.gameagent.com
DJGAS 6:26 AM - 10 May, 2016
So how much longer will it take for us to be able to use ttm57sl great mixer old but great, with el capitan?
pdidy 7:42 AM - 10 May, 2016
Quote:
So how much longer will it take for us to be able to use ttm57sl great mixer old but great, with el capitan?

In regards to the 57 being officially compatible with L captain , The short answer is never.
Gio Alex 2:09 PM - 10 May, 2016
Quote:
In regards to the 57mk1 being officially compatible with L captain , The short answer is never.

So much true.
Kelechi Ibeleme 5:49 AM - 12 May, 2016
The reason why the TTM57 doesn't work with El Capitan is because of System Integrity Protection (SIP). The simple workaround is to disable SIP.

1. Restart Mac

2. While Mac is turning on, hold down the command key and R together to boot into recovery mode

3. Click in the Utilities menu and select Terminal

4. Type "csrutil disable" (without the quotes of course) and press enter

5. Close the Terminal App and restart your Mac once more

Not only should you be able to get your TTM57 working again, but you should also be able to install Scratch Live without it failing.
Dj Yeyo809 12:34 AM - 14 May, 2016
Quote:
The reason why the TTM57 doesn't work with El Capitan is because of System Integrity Protection (SIP). The simple workaround is to disable SIP.

1. Restart Mac

2. While Mac is turning on, hold down the command key and R together to boot into recovery mode

3. Click in the Utilities menu and select Terminal

4. Type "csrutil disable" (without the quotes of course) and press enter

ehh idk sounds to risky..is there something on youtube that proves that would work?

5. Close the Terminal App and restart your Mac once more

Not only should you be able to get your TTM57 working again, but you should also be able to install Scratch Live without it failing.
Kelechi Ibeleme 12:57 AM - 14 May, 2016
The videos on YouTube concerning disabling SIP are not specific in terms of DJing, but the general gist of it is that Scratch Live needs access to certain operating system files in order to be installed and function well. The main difference between OS X Yosemite and OS X El Capitan is SIP. Since Scratch Live is discontinued by Serato, the SeratoScratchDriver.kext file that it utilises is blocked by SIP in OS X El Capitan, since it hasn't been updated for almost 2 years. Disabling SIP allows the kext file to operate as normal, without interference.
ShabaazNYC 4:39 AM - 15 May, 2016
Quote:

Holy shit that actually worked.

Granted I did the csrutil disable and then enable beforehand, but still it worked!
Chedda 9:29 PM - 15 May, 2016
I found another workaround:

1) uninstall ScratchLive you won't lose any of your crates, etc.

2) download Scratch Live 2.4.3 from the Scratch Life Download Archive: serato.com

3) install it

Done! this worked for me, even though there are 2 updates after 2.4.3 (2.4.4 & 2.5), who cares! The TTM57sl works.
Culprit 3:58 PM - 16 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Holy shit that actually worked.

Granted I did the csrutil disable and then enable beforehand, but still it worked!

After you restart does it still work? I just disabled sip
mrgoodenergy 6:45 PM - 6 June, 2016
my ttm 57sl is still not working for serato dj or scratch live. I tried everything
Gio Alex 7:08 PM - 6 June, 2016
Quote:
my ttm 57sl is still not working for serato dj or scratch live. I tried everything

57SL would not work with SDJ anyway. Not compatible.
LG-Roc 10:27 AM - 6 September, 2016
@RANE THE MIXER WAS VERY EXPENSIVE. YOU CAN NOT LEAVE IT LIKE THIS. WHEN YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO MAKE A DRIVER TO EL CAPITAIN?
Detroitbootybass 4:15 PM - 6 September, 2016
Quote:
@RANE THE MIXER WAS VERY EXPENSIVE. YOU CAN NOT LEAVE IT LIKE THIS. WHEN YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO MAKE A DRIVER TO EL CAPITAIN?

Rane is gone. The owners and founders of the company wanted to retire and sold it to InMusic. All the employees were fired and the spare parts were order to a landfill.

The important question for you would be: Why would you, as a professional in the business, be on El Capitan knowing all the problems it has caused?
pdidy 4:55 PM - 6 September, 2016
Quote:
The important question for you would be: Why would you, as a professional in the business, be on El Capitan knowing all the problems it has caused?

www.reactiongifs.com
Culprit 8:01 PM - 6 September, 2016
Quote:

watch the caps man. You need to contact rane about that.
dj_soo 5:05 AM - 7 September, 2016
I wish my expensive-at-the-time iphone 4 could run the latest version of iOS too.
Prophet Of Soul 3:17 PM - 16 September, 2016
I've been rocking the TTM 57SL with Serato Scratch Live & The Bridge for years. My MacBook running Mavericks was stolen. I recently replaced it with a New MacBook Pro 2012 running El Capitan. I have an appointment with The Apple Store on Saturday 09/17/2016 to have them roll back my OS to Mavericks.

My question is: Is there gonna be an issue with the USB of the TTM 57SL being compatible with the MacBook Pro's 3.0 USB?
Culprit 5:32 PM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:
I've been rocking the TTM 57SL with Serato Scratch Live & The Bridge for years. My MacBook running Mavericks was stolen. I recently replaced it with a New MacBook Pro 2012 running El Capitan. I have an appointment with The Apple Store on Saturday 09/17/2016 to have them roll back my OS to Mavericks.

My question is: Is there gonna be an issue with the USB of the TTM 57SL being compatible with the MacBook Pro's 3.0 USB?

none, i have the same macbook pro with yosemite and it works great with a 57sl
Prophet Of Soul 6:06 PM - 16 September, 2016
Thanks for the response Culprit.
Prophet Of Soul 9:56 PM - 25 September, 2016
I rolled back my El Capitan OSX to Mavericks OSX 10.9.5 and my Rane TTM57 SL is communicating flawlessly with my MacBook Pro's 3.0 USB Hub.

Now I will attempt to add Serato Video. I would like to use the MP3+G feature for Karaoke. Does anyone know of any issues using Serato Video's Karaoke feature with my current configuration?

MacBook Pro 13-inch, Mid 2012
Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1699 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

Advice would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.
MEXISURF_PRODUCTIONS 12:55 AM - 8 October, 2016
Is this the same issue that I am having? I just got a MacBook Air (with USB ports) and it is Captain 10.11.1 and it will not sync with my TTM SL57...not supported yet by RANE based on this discussion?!
Prophet Of Soul 1:32 AM - 8 October, 2016
Quote:
Is this the same issue that I am having? I just got a MacBook Air (with USB ports) and it is Captain 10.11.1 and it will not sync with my TTM SL57...not supported yet by RANE based on this discussion?!

Yes. Make an appointment with Apple (Apple Store) and have them roll back your El Capitan 10.11.1 to Mavericks 10.9.5 and your TTM 57SL should work.
Gio Alex 3:53 PM - 10 October, 2016
Quote:

Serato doesn't care about Rane lol.
popnwave 5:20 PM - 10 October, 2016
It's not even their issue, if it unlocks SDJ properly their part is done, the audio drivers and everything else is more of a hardware developer thing.
Gio Alex 5:24 PM - 10 October, 2016
Quote:
if it unlocks SDJ properly their part is done

Wait, are we still talking about the 57SL here?
popnwave 5:27 PM - 10 October, 2016
Yep!

Caught by fast fingers though, should be SSL. It still activates it and since Rane hasn't released drivers for it in how many years? It's not a Serato issue, it's on Rane.
Gio Alex 5:29 PM - 10 October, 2016
Quote:
Yep!

Caught by fast fingers though, should be SSL. It still activates it and since Rane hasn't released drivers for it in how many years? It's not a Serato issue, it's on Rane.

Yeah, but wasn't serato handling that end of the bargain when they still had a partnership?
popnwave 5:31 PM - 10 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Yep!

Yeah, but wasn't serato handling that end of the bargain when they still had a partnership?

They would bundle drivers in releases, but especially firmware was still maintained by Rane up until the end, no?
Gio Alex 5:37 PM - 10 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yep!

They would bundle drivers in releases, but especially firmware was still maintained by Rane up until the end, no?

I'm actually not sure to be honest. I would imagine without the partnership they probably would not have the funding to do so.
Culprit 11:28 PM - 10 October, 2016
I asked this question a while ago. The drivers were indeed being maintained by Serato. I don't know about the firmware, but I think the firmware was also being maintained by Serato as well.

It's a dead project. They have nothing to gain from making the mixer compatible anyways if you look at it from a business perspective. They would make tons of end users happy, but they are pretty firm in moving forward without it.

Move on?
DJ Guayo 12:00 AM - 11 October, 2016
Quote:
I asked this question a while ago. The drivers were indeed being maintained by Serato. I don't know about the firmware, but I think the firmware was also being maintained by Serato as well.

It's a dead project. They have nothing to gain from making the mixer compatible anyways if you look at it from a business perspective. They would make tons of end users happy, but they are pretty firm in moving forward without it.

Move on?

Has anyone modded the 57 with an SL2 or SL3? That could be an alternative but you would be on your own at that point.
AKIEM 12:34 AM - 11 October, 2016
If you did that you would loose 'midi'
Gio Alex 3:41 PM - 11 October, 2016
Quote:

But there really wasn't midi there was it? It was kinda like midi but not really though.
AKIEM 5:10 PM - 11 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

But there really wasn't midi there was it? It was kinda like midi but not really though.

thats why I wrote [ 'midi' ]
yeah, its not MIDI
Gio Alex 6:00 PM - 11 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

thats why I wrote [ 'midi' ]
yeah, its not MIDI

Haha i got you

I think that was my only let down with that mixer, is not being able to fully assign stuff like you can w/ midi.
Dj Partoh 9:26 PM - 22 February, 2017
Quote:
It works for me as well! As I open the SSL i wait for my library to load & plug in the usb and all is good :)

Whats the Version of your El Capitan??
Albert One DJ 4:35 PM - 8 March, 2017
I have a Mac Pro mid 2015 with El Capitan. I was having connectivity issues between my Mac and my TTM 57SL. I did disable the SIP as recommended and now my Mac recognizes my TTM 57SL with SSL 2.3.0. Don't know if it works with newer versions of SSL. I want to thank Kelechi Ibeleme for the workaround.
Culprit 7:21 AM - 9 March, 2017
Disable sip, it works
DJ Jose808 12:19 AM - 23 October, 2017
I have the same mistake,,, upgrading to EL Capitan.... worst piece of shit.
I rely a lot o my TTM57SL, which never went down on me, other than the DDJ-SX, or newer ones when on of the players crash... But is like any equipment, anything can go wrong.
My SL start skipping on songs, of pausing while playing.

I guess downgrade to Maverik software.

Any new or good help will be appreciated, dont want to hear if is old, or worst mistake, because I already did.
gjerrus 5:59 AM - 30 October, 2018
Looking back on this entire thread brings back my feelings of hopelessness & desperation. I completely bombed for one of the biggest OG hip hop promoters in CA because of this issue. I some how accedentally upgraded to El Capitan when it first came out, which was not compatible w any of the mixers being used during half my Bay Area tour. All the way up into my NYE 2016 gig in SF. It still hurts to this day. I was so embarrassed. I must say Apple customer service via phone and working w the apple store hand in had for 24 hrs was GOD SENT. Their customer service saved my life and the 2nd half of my tour. Downgraded to Yosemite and been using it on my mid 2011 ever since. Hope all the heart aches have been figured and smoothed out by now
romerom 9:17 AM - 19 February, 2019
Finally ended up updating my hardware setup and picked up a Pioneer DDJ-1000 to run REKORDBOX. This thing is fuckin flawless. So glad to be able to DITCH Serato FOREVER.