DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Controlling lights

Will08272 1:33 PM - 18 September, 2015
I know of the existence of DMX controllers for lights, haven't used one but watch several videos just to know how they work more or less. I picked the chauvet Gigbar Irc a couple of months ago and it's great on it's own, the preprogrammed stuff is great, but i need a bit more control outside of what's capable with the remote that's included and foot pedal. Mainly for controlling specific colors and patterns, what would you guys suggest i look into, Thanks familia.
Joee 4:53 PM - 18 September, 2015
Quote:
Mainly for controlling specific colors and patterns, what would you guys suggest i look into, Thanks familia.

have you gotten familiar with the remote? it allows you to do individual colors & patterns

via the R G B A UV & W, the patterns via the 0 thru 9 , I've found it gives me great control
DJFree 4:58 PM - 18 September, 2015
Quote:
I know of the existence of DMX controllers for lights, haven't used one but watch several videos just to know how they work more or less. I picked the chauvet Gigbar Irc a couple of months ago and it's great on it's own, the preprogrammed stuff is great, but i need a bit more control outside of what's capable with the remote that's included and foot pedal. Mainly for controlling specific colors and patterns, what would you guys suggest i look into, Thanks familia.

Chauvet ShowXpress.....it'll do everything you want it to do and more....and it's a ton of tutorials on YouTube.
O.B.1 5:12 PM - 18 September, 2015
+1 for Chauvet ShowXpress

I own the 512 usb/dmx interface and it has helped me take my light show to another level!
Will08272 5:50 PM - 18 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Mainly for controlling specific colors and patterns, what would you guys suggest i look into, Thanks familia.

have you gotten familiar with the remote? it allows you to do individual colors & patterns

via the R G B A UV & W, the patterns via the 0 thru 9 , I've found it gives me great control

I'll admit i was kind of rushing in experimenting with the control for the gig i used the lights at, and it was okay for the occasion. What i had in mind of other things i wanted to do as far as individual colors for each light and a specific color atleast in reading the manual and the preset's it wasn't making sense on how i could get done exactly what i wanted. Ill take another look on an off day i have but figured that with a controller id be able to have full control over them.
Joee 6:13 PM - 18 September, 2015
Quote:
I'll admit i was kind of rushing in experimenting with the control for the gig i used the lights at, and it was okay for the occasion. What i had in mind of other things i wanted to do as far as individual colors for each light and a specific color

ok got you, well i don't know if it will work that way, it will let you turn the derby & par light specific color i'm not sure if it will lets you turn each one a different color

take some time to learn the remote tho, sound mode is great but when you take it out of sound mode it lets you do more

here is an example of how i use it….when the party is going i leave it on sound mode, if i play a slow jam i turn off all the lights except for the two pars i turn them red it sets a nice mood

when the party is over i turn them to full white, those are two examples play with the remote get to know it a little better……it really does give you a lot of control from using from using only strobes to turning them off, adjusting light color/ intensity to being able to select what fixtures you want on
slime_plays 12:47 AM - 14 June, 2016
I'm keen to see more info on this lighting control software/hardware www.soundswitch.com release as I can't seem to find much on it yet, but it looks very promising!
DJ Reckless NYC 3:43 PM - 14 June, 2016
I have a mydmx buddy its cheap and it does the job. Once you become familiar with it you will never use sound active mode again.
B.Hollywood 2:57 AM - 15 June, 2016
That SoundSwitch program looks dope.

mydmx doesnt sync with Serato DJ does it?
Code:E 3:11 AM - 15 June, 2016
Really what you need todo Is have a computer DMX program that you can program dIfferent scene's into.

Think about what you need. HIgh energy Scene's, Strobe scene's (Super hi energy), Mid level/mid speed scenes, slow scenes, and if you have moving mirror/head lights you need spots for points around the room. Make up 8 of each type of scene and program a basic MIDI controller to trigger each one. I do exactly that in a night in a nightclub and when I do large Moblie gigs I do the same thing. You could even get a guitar foot switch MIDI setup and use that. It works great to keep your hands free. \

Though if you want to take things to the next level (as I do) sound switch looks like it's going to be the way to go!
BrentMeder 10:39 AM - 12 August, 2019
Highly recommend SoundSwitch. I've been using it for a while and the ability to program the lights to individual songs is dope. The Autoloop feature functions similar to creating scene chases in a traditional hardware or software controller. Static scene control is awesome too.