DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Vestax vci 380 vs Terminal Mix 8

JonnyBoy69 12:32 PM - 5 September, 2015
Help I'm torn between 2 great controllers. I've lusted after a 380 for ages now. I want to upgrade from my old Hercules toy to something I can scratch on (please no - then you need a turntable conversations - Cant afford and not practicle at home so its gotta be controller based so I want the best controller to scratch with).
I love the platter LEDS and upgradable crossfader and the easy head phone only listening on the vci (not always able to link it to my sound system).
Im worried about the lack of software support and that after 1 years warrenty runs out that's it. Also not keen on 2 decks. Id like 2 for mixing and one with a separate bank of samples to just drop scratches on as I go so it doesn't slow mixing down (I'm still a noob, would like to set the mix up, then play around with scratches and then drop in the other track).
On the terminal mix the platters and meant to be amazing too though - Are they as good as the vci???
BUT, no upgradable crossfader (as I get better I might need this). Just how good is the one on it.

Any input would be greatly received guys.

Thanks
DJ Nin 6:01 PM - 9 September, 2015
I own both controllers. Here’s my opinion for what it’s worth…

First off, I'm by no means a turntabilist but I can cut better on the VCI than I can on the Reloop.

Both have great jogwheels. TM 8 jogs are bigger, but there is no tension adjustment. VCI jogs have the tension adjustment & the indicator on them. I prefer the VCI’s jogs slightly over the TM 8 mainly due to the tension adjustment.

Line faders on TM 8 aren't adjustable on the VCI 380 they are.

IMO stock crossfader on the VCI is better than the TM 8.

Pads on the VCI have a better feel to them, but TM 8’s are color coordinated w/ the cue points.

Unsure if you plan on gigging with one of these controllers but..

TM 8 has better sound quality in terms of crispness & overall loudness.

TM 8 (obviously) has better integration with Serato DJ given that it was designed for Serato DJ & VCI was designed for itch.

TM 8 has better layout & more options in terms of using effects.

Neither has good mic output, but the mic on the VCI sounds better than it does on the TM 8.

VCI can be used as a stand alone mixer. TM 8 cannot.

I bought a TM 8 mainly because I was having issues with the VCI 380.

Finally, Vestax is out of business (although there are rumors of their return), and Reloop is not.
JonnyBoy69 7:40 PM - 9 September, 2015
Thanks for the reply. It's the scratching part that has me torn- bigger jogs vs leds and tension control is a proper tough decision (look up 'Funki J' on youtube, he certainly showswhat a 380 can do) The fader i can get over as both fit a mini innofader so after a year of practice,and when the warranty runs out,thats whatever i buy will get.
Leaning towards the Tm8 now due to price and support.
dj_soo 12:40 PM - 10 September, 2015
I actually was trying to decide between the two myself as my existing 380 is starting to go.

Ended up getting another 380 just because of the platters and the fact that I think most controllers have a shelf life of 3-4 years anyway.

I still can't believe no other company is putting a tension adjust in their platters other than the SZ.
Mr. Goodkat 8:48 PM - 10 September, 2015
380s are so cheap though.
JonnyBoy69 9:25 PM - 10 September, 2015
Both about the same price now here in the UK.

Just to make choosing more difficult! :)
Mr. Goodkat 9:49 PM - 10 September, 2015
they were clearing them out online for like 250-300$ usd
Ollie 4:08 AM - 11 September, 2015
I like the 380. Good all around and the 2mic inputs have come in handy many times. If your gigging, ur sets should be based on the equipment functionality than just being able to scratch. The dopest sets are based on music selection and the crowd will love you for it.
dj_soo 6:03 AM - 11 September, 2015
From what I understand, they've gone up in price...
Mr. Goodkat 7:23 AM - 11 September, 2015
shoulda bought one while they were cheap, ill bet you can still find a new one for 400$. or at least talk to an online dealer about getting a lower price.
dj_soo 8:39 AM - 11 September, 2015
I just got one for about $500 USD.
D Jay Cee 6:19 AM - 14 September, 2015
Quote:

Finally, Vestax is out of business (although there are rumors of their return), and Reloop is not.

they went bankrupt but do plan to come back I heard...the process is very long though...might be a few years.
D Jay Cee 6:21 AM - 14 September, 2015
Quote:
From what I understand, they've gone up in price...

I have seen that too...as if they were collectors items. folks were dumping them leading up to the bankruptcy and then suddenly I can find one cheap at all. I got the 300 and 400...would have loved to have gotten a 380. I like the extra space on the left and right of the crossfader.
4mydawgz 2:08 AM - 16 September, 2015
I kopped the 380 right after they went out of business. Got it for 369. No tax. Free shipping. I was down to that or the ddj sx2. And the price definitely won me over. I see them online now for 500 to 1000+. Very happy with mines but there's obviously no online support for it. Which is the big negative.
D Jay Cee 3:47 AM - 16 September, 2015
The 380 Is a solid product so I doubt you need much in terms of Support but if you have to there is a place in Germany that still supports the hardware
Mr. Goodkat 4:14 AM - 16 September, 2015
Quote:
I kopped the 380 right after they went out of business. Got it for 369. No tax. Free shipping. I was down to that or the ddj sx2. And the price definitely won me over. I see them online now for 500 to 1000+. Very happy with mines but there's obviously no online support for it. Which is the big negative.

theres actually a ssl mapping that i found after i got mine. of course it doesnt work with the soundcard but with a sl box. just fyi