DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Yorkville's Version of the Evox 5

Arjun B 6:19 PM - 21 July, 2015
So I went to my local Long & McQuade and saw this on the display floor.

yorkville.com

Looks like yorkvilles released their own version of the Evox 5. I wonder how this compares with it. I heard this in store and it sounds great! The 10" sub is pretty good given the enclosure it's in. It's got BT connectivity and even built in effects.

My rep told me that these are better than the Bose L1 and even L2 systems. More power, features, bass and versatility.

What do you guys think?
DJ GaFFle 6:27 PM - 21 July, 2015
Ugly... someone at Yorkville didn't think this one through from a looks perspective. How many mobile DJ's do events with 10" speakers (only)? You're cheating your crowds if you do unless they're AARP age and party to oldie-goldies.
Joee 7:42 PM - 21 July, 2015
that little sub isn't moving any air

Quote:
Ugly... someone at Yorkville didn't think this one through from a looks perspective. How many mobile DJ's do events with 10" speakers (only)? You're cheating your crowds if you do unless they're AARP age and party to oldie-goldies.

+1

but still i could see this working for certain need a guitar play or any artist looking to amplify his sound
DJ GaFFle 8:56 PM - 21 July, 2015
Quote:

Quote:

+1

but still i could see this working for certain need a guitar play or any artist looking to amplify his sound

Looks sort of like a weak attempt from Yorkville. Does the top unit/stand even store away like they do with the Evox?
Mr.Jace 9:21 PM - 21 July, 2015
If you want to keep it compact with Yorkville, I feel the Ls200p would be a better sub. I just saw the pic, the evox look a like by Yorkville looks tacky.
Arjun B 11:40 PM - 21 July, 2015
Quote:

It actually moves more air than you'd think. The showroom wasn't booming with bass, but you could sense the presence of the bass from even the opposite end of the showroom.

Quote:

Looks sort of like a weak attempt from Yorkville. Does the top unit/stand even store away like they do with the Evox?

Yeah, it is a weak attempt from Yorkville, but the features make it better than worse. And no, the top unit and stand don't store away, but they are all detachable.

Quote:
If you want to keep it compact with Yorkville, I feel the Ls200p would be a better sub. I just saw the pic, the evox look a like by Yorkville looks tacky.

yeah but then with the LS200p you would also need to use tops, whereas this is an all in one system.
Joee 11:43 PM - 21 July, 2015
Quote:
It actually moves more air than you'd think. The showroom wasn't booming with bass, but you could sense the presence of the bass from even the opposite end of the showroom.

crazy, so that little thing sounds good than, well the evox 8 sounds pretty good & it a 12" sub

so i guess the same is posable form this, but still it looks ugly
DJ GaFFle 12:02 AM - 22 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

There's no replacement for displacement and I see no revolutionary air-moving Yorkville design. If you show up with a pair of 10's as hired DJ, you better be playing in a coffee house, poetry reading or simply serving up acoustical background music.
Rebelguy 12:12 AM - 22 July, 2015
Quote:

There's no replacement for displacement and I see no revolutionary air-moving Yorkville design. If you show up with a pair of 10's as hired DJ, you better be playing in a coffee house, poetry reading or simply serving up acoustical background music.

I agree.

It's somewhat like the Bose L1 compact which is good for about 50 people max.
dj_soo 10:16 PM - 24 July, 2015
Get a price for this?

Ugly as sin, but if they make a 12" woofer version of this I might try it out. Rcf gear is prohibitively expensive in Canada.
Arjun B 4:27 AM - 25 July, 2015
Quote:

crazy, so that little thing sounds good than, well the evox 8 sounds pretty good & it a 12" sub
so i guess the same is posable form this, but still it looks ugly

It does sound good, but I felt like it was missing out some frequencies when I was listening to it. Came home and looked up the specs... Sub is crossed over at 240Hz.
And I doubt this sounds as good as the RCF... I have yet to hear the Evox 8 for myself.
Quote:
It's somewhat like the Bose L1 compact which is good for about 50 people max

It's alot like the Bose L1 Compact. My rep said its like a step above since it has more power, features, etc etc.
Quote:
Get a price for this?
Ugly as sin, but if they make a 12" woofer version of this I might try it out. Rcf gear is prohibitively expensive in Canada.

It retails for $1199 at Long and McQuade.
I doubt theyre gonna make a 12" version. I don't think this 10" version is going to be too popular.
Yeah I wish RCF gear wasn't so expensive either, would be nice to own a pair of Evox 8's.
dj_soo 10:21 AM - 25 July, 2015
Quote:
Yeah I wish RCF gear wasn't so expensive either, would be nice to own a pair of Evox 8's.

$1500 in the US, $2500 here in canada.

bullshit.

I heard it's some tariff issue with Italian made products...
Just1Fixxx 5:58 PM - 1 May, 2016
I think this Yorkie is more geared towards the HK Lucas Nano than the Evox.

hkaudio.com
Just1Fixxx 1:49 PM - 14 May, 2016
And now JBL enters the ring with their version on the Bose L1 Compact.

www.jblpro.com
Arjun B 5:39 AM - 15 May, 2016
Quote:
And now JBL enters the ring with their version on the Bose L1 Compact.

www.jblpro.com

Yeah I was browsing the JBL website and saw this as a new product... Really interesting, but I don't feel any of these are even close to the Evox 8, although they might be able to compete with the Evox 5
dj_soo 11:52 PM - 15 May, 2016
just had a demo if the yorkville the other day. Honestly didn't sound too bad and the 10" had surprising oomph.

Couldn't see using a pair of these instead of a more traditional setup like a pair of 8" tops over a sub like the LS200P or a PS12S, but I could see the appeal for a small acoustic act or a coffeehouse type setup.
Ruffrob 11:49 PM - 17 May, 2016
....Or to be used at a party where you could get away with tops and the client is not paying for what you would normally supply a sub for....LOL
stylez909 2:05 AM - 17 March, 2018
How would the be for a backyard party ?
I've been looking to get some compact system for personal use in my backyard parties. I looked at the Bose l1. I want to compare it to the Yorkville but no one in my area carries them.
So the only way to get some is online . And it's scary to spend that much without knowing what you are getting.