DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What's are the benefits of using an external mixer instead of DJ Mixer

DJKayce 1:32 AM - 23 June, 2015
Hey all. just been curious. AM a mobile DJ. Been Djing now close to 18 years. I have gone thru a lot of equipments in the past. Currently, am using Pioneer DDJ-SZ, SX2 and a VCI 380 for small gigs. In speakers. Yorkville LS801P, EV ZXA5. Yamaha DSR115, DXR15, DXR12 and a pair of QSC KW181. These are my complete set up for Big & small events.
I have been always looking for a way to improve my sound. Never use an external mixer before so am just curious about adding one to my set up. I know most bands uses it coz of multiple Mic channels and line inputs.
Am connecting from my controller to the speakers and my sound comes out good.
Was reading a thread where AL P. was recommending Yamaha MG 10 to a set up.
I don't use more than 2 mic in my set which my controllers has so What are the PROS and Cons of adding a mixer to DJ Rig?
Rebelguy 1:47 AM - 23 June, 2015
External mixer with the DDJ-SX2 yes. It's not really necessary with the SZ.

I didn't think the Yamaha MG10 sounded that great. If you can save a little more then get an Allen & Heath Zed-10 or if you want to save a little more than the Soundcraft Ui16 is a good beginner digital mixer.
DJKayce 1:57 AM - 23 June, 2015
Quote:
External mixer with the DDJ-SX2 yes. It's not really necessary with the SZ.

I didn't think the Yamaha MG10 sounded that great. If you can save a little more then get an Allen & Heath Zed-10 or if you want to save a little more than the Soundcraft Ui16 is a good beginner digital mixer.

So when am using my SX2 with external mixer, am I gonna get more headroom or what? More Mic channels to free up my 2 mic lines on SX2? I will check the Allen & Heath Zed 10 mix. So my connections will be from SX2 to Mixer then to speakers?
southernplayalisticaddilacmuzik 4:21 AM - 23 June, 2015
Actually been wondering the same thing for a couple of weeks. I bought a zed 10fx for ceremonies but can't see why I would need if with my sx2. What are the benefits?
Rebelguy 4:42 AM - 23 June, 2015
More headroom and better sounding mic pres.
Taipanic 5:58 PM - 23 June, 2015
Quote:
More headroom and better sounding mic pres.

Also the ability to connect multiple DJ systems together. If your DJ mixer is good enough and you have enough headroom you don't need an external mixer. I have a A&H Zed10FX but I mostly use it when I need a lot of extra mics or connecting different DJ rigs. My DDJ-SZ generally has enough headroom for the PA I use.
pdidy 7:10 PM - 23 June, 2015
Benefits of line mixer.

1. Increased headroom.
2. Lower distortion
3. Improved sound quality in music
4. Improved mic sound quality.
5. Additional inputs.

If you need to push your dj mixer or controller into the red to achieve desired output, this can be a sign that you need the addition headroom or hotter output of a line mixer.
DJKayce 7:16 PM - 23 June, 2015
Quote:
Benefits of line mixer.

1. Increased headroom.
2. Lower distortion
5. Additional inputs.

If you need to push your dj mixer or controller into the red to achieve desired output, this can be a sign that you need the addition headroom or hotter output of a line mixer.

Thanks pdidy. I will look into getting the A & H zed 10 mixer. for when am using my SX2. My SZ is fine with the output. I BLEW my EV ZXA5 2 times using my SX2. Always hitting on red plus the MC's are always shouting on my Mics.
Dj MacMillz 7:23 PM - 23 June, 2015
Great question, and answers....i too have been wondering and checking out a few.

I sometimes see folks run the xlr from the controller/mixer to the mixing board.... But the only xlr inputs are for mics (or am I missing something?)

Is it safe to do so? If yes, a brief explanation of the setup and precautions of any to take. Thanks in advance.
DJKayce 7:32 PM - 23 June, 2015
Now I only use my SZ with ZXA5 & LS801p for high paying clients/Big events.

SX2 with Qsc kw181 & dsr115/dxr15/dxr12.

Meduim gigs, KW181 & DSR115 are die hard speakers. Speakers Never hits on RED.

Smaller gigs, KW181 & DXR12. I love the sound of this combo too.

Then my DXR15 comes out where I don't need a sub but a fuller sound (House parties).

Adding the ZED 10 Mixer will deff be a plus from the answers am getting here. Thanks.
Taipanic 7:35 PM - 23 June, 2015
Quote:

I BLEW my EV ZXA5 2 times using my SX2. Always hitting on red plus the MC's are always shouting on my Mics.

You also need to be running your EVs with a limiter/compressor. Driverack PA2+ is the current favorite of many here. Read up extensively on how to use it, especially on how to set the limiter parameters.
Taipanic 7:37 PM - 23 June, 2015
^^^^^^^^^^
More important than getting the ZED10. Get the processor first if you can't get both.
DJKayce 7:46 PM - 23 June, 2015
Quote:
^^^^^^^^^^
More important than getting the ZED10. Get the processor first if you can't get both.

Like Driverack PA2+?
Rebelguy 7:48 PM - 23 June, 2015
Or a Driverack Venue360 if you want to take things up a notch.
pdidy 9:40 PM - 23 June, 2015
Quote:
Thanks pdidy. I will look into getting the A & H zed 10 mixer. for when am using my SX2. My SZ is fine with the output. I BLEW my EV ZXA5 2 times using my SX2. Always hitting on red plus the MC's are always shouting on my Mics.

And you will continue to blew them until you use a limiter or processor (ALL THE TIME FOR EVERY GIG) such as the dbx driverack pa2 as previously advised.
Quote:

i agree it is 1st priority.
d:raf 2:35 AM - 25 June, 2015
Having an external mixer also allows you to have a separate backup already wired up and ready to go just in case your laptop or controller crashes/gets a drink spilled on it/etc.
Logisticalstyles 4:54 PM - 25 June, 2015
Quote:
Having an external mixer also allows you to have a separate backup already wired up and ready to go just in case your laptop or controller crashes/gets a drink spilled on it/etc.

Yep, that's one of the reasons I use mine.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:56 PM - 25 June, 2015
Can't yall hear? Smh @ blowing ZXA5 numerous times. Ear fatigue?
MobileDJAtlanta 2:37 PM - 26 October, 2015
So what does the chain of equipment look like from the DDJ SX2 to the PA System?

Is it SX2 --> limiter/processor (DriveRack PA2) --> A&H ZED 10 --> PA System/Speakers?

How do you connect the SX2 to the DriveRack PA2 and the A&H ZED 10 simultaneously?

Also, how would you recommend transporting and setting up the DriveRack without a rack system in place?
Taipanic 4:51 PM - 26 October, 2015
SX2 <-> A&H <-> Driverack <-> Speakers

You could place the Driverack on a crate/bear box under your table, hidden by the table skirt if doing mobile.
Taipanic 4:53 PM - 26 October, 2015
Buy a small 2-4 space rack case. Put your DR, wireless, power strip/conditioner in it.
MobileDJAtlanta 5:25 PM - 26 October, 2015
How do you connect the A&H and DriveRack?

How does the Driverack connect to the speakers?
desmorider 5:33 PM - 26 October, 2015
Quote:

Sound basics 101. Have you looked at the manuals?
DTweed 6:04 PM - 26 October, 2015
Quote:
So what does the chain of equipment look like from the DDJ SX2 to the PA System?

Is it SX2 --> limiter/processor (DriveRack PA2) --> A&H ZED 10 --> PA System/Speakers?

How do you connect the SX2 to the DriveRack PA2 and the A&H ZED 10 simultaneously?

Also, how would you recommend transporting and setting up the DriveRack without a rack system in place?

Click on my IG link below - and check out the video I just posted

I have my drive rack set up in an SKB shallow 2U rack case. I have the drive rack in there as well as a Power Conditioner. It's light and easy to carry. I also used as a laptop stand as you will see in the pic. I was considering getting a 3U case so i could put a rack mount mixer in there as well but I didnt want to make it too heavy or buy additional gear since I already have mixer
DTweed 6:12 PM - 26 October, 2015
MobileDJAtlanta 9:28 PM - 26 October, 2015
Thanks for the pics @DTweed.

What does the Power Conditioner do? What is the model/brand?

So it looks like I'll have to set this up next to my controller setup kinda like you have. What is the small Alto unit you are running?

Thanks in advance for the help. What cables do I need to connect all these together?
DTweed 10:22 PM - 26 October, 2015
Quote:

So it looks like I'll have to set this up next to my controller setup kinda like you have. What is the small Alto unit you are running?

Thanks in advance for the help. What cables do I need to connect all these together?

Power condition is a fancy six strip outlet with surge protector for a lack of better terms. They have plenty on the market but I believe Furman may be the most recognized. I basically got it because it has 9 inputs and i dont have to use two six strip outlets

The alto box is running wireless signals to speakers placed on the other end of the room. I was djing at Dave and Bsuter and didnt need little kids tripping on the wires.

Standard XLR cables are what i use but this might vary depending on equipment since I know the DDJ SR doesnt have XLR and some mixers may not as well.
MobileDJAtlanta 12:56 AM - 27 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Do you have anything productive to add? Or just snide remarks?
MobileDJAtlanta 12:57 AM - 27 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Power condition is a fancy six strip outlet with surge protector for a lack of better terms. They have plenty on the market but I believe Furman may be the most recognized. I basically got it because it has 9 inputs and i dont have to use two six strip outlets

The alto box is running wireless signals to speakers placed on the other end of the room. I was djing at Dave and Bsuter and didnt need little kids tripping on the wires.

Standard XLR cables are what i use but this might vary depending on equipment since I know the DDJ SR doesnt have XLR and some mixers may not as well.

Thanks man. Really appreciate your insight. So you use the conditioner in place of any surge protectors? Do you just need the one connected to main power at a venue to power your whole setup?
Rebelguy 1:08 AM - 27 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's not a snide remark. It's a real question. Your questions so far could be answered by looking at the manuals online.
MobileDJAtlanta 1:13 AM - 27 October, 2015
Ok. To @rebelguy and @desmorider. What would each of you recommend for a mobile setup?

I already have 2 K10s and a EV Sub. I use a DDJ SX2. Thinking I might need to add the line mixer and limiter/processor like the thread discusses to round out my setup.

Do y'all agree? What would each of you do?
desmorider 2:57 AM - 27 October, 2015
Quote:
Ok. To @rebelguy and @desmorider. What would each of you recommend for a mobile setup?

I already have 2 K10s and a EV Sub. I use a DDJ SX2. Thinking I might need to add the line mixer and limiter/processor like the thread discusses to round out my setup.

Not necessarily. What makes you think you have to add anything? What exactly are you trying to accomplish that your current gear can't handle? What size crowds, and size of venues do you play in? What kind of music? The k10's are pretty solid. What ev sub are you using?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:48 AM - 27 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LMAO @ asking IF you're looked at the Manual as being looked at as a "Snide" remark...

You can't ask for this level of entertainment....

Please continue...
Arjun B 4:04 AM - 27 October, 2015
Since we're already talking about Driveracks, which one would be better to get?

DBX Driverack PA+ : $199 (from $499)
DBX Driverack PA2 : $399

I'm stuck between which one to get and which one is better
MobileDJAtlanta 1:08 PM - 27 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Not necessarily. What makes you think you have to add anything? What exactly are you trying to accomplish that your current gear can't handle? What size crowds, and size of venues do you play in? What kind of music? The k10's are pretty solid. What ev sub are you using?

Just want the mics to be separate for better control. And saw this thread and noticed some of the benefits of adding the line mixer.

Benefits of line mixer.

1. Increased headroom.
2. Lower distortion
5. Additional inputs.

So I was thinking these might be a good investment if they help to save/preserve my setup.

Using a EV ZXA1 Sub by the way.
Delta0099 7:15 AM - 1 January, 2017
I am seeing a lot about the DDJ-SX2. I am using an DDJ SB because its simple and effective and im uneployed atm. will the zed 10 work with my system
Rebelguy 5:19 PM - 1 January, 2017
Yes.
Logisticalstyles 2:25 PM - 2 January, 2017
I think the Zed10 would be overkill for your situation. I have it and I only use it for studio work. For mobile gigs I use either a dbxGoRack or a small 4 channel mixer to connect my mics and other devices to my powered speakers. I would not recommend lugging around the Zed10 to your mobile gigs.
GigRobberz 1:38 PM - 19 January, 2019
For the past few years I've been using the SX (mk1) with the mic as an external source into channel 3 or 4. I'm debating getting the SX3 from my local dealer ( www.djbox.ie )

Is the mic and better than the MK1 SX? Or would you still recommend going through an external mixer?