DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Competition - Show us how you use LiveFeed and win a special Serato prize pack!

Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 12:43 AM - 6 May, 2009
Hey All,

Keen to win a special Serato prize pack? Submit a video of yourself using the new LiveFeed feature in 1.9.0 and be in to win!

Go crazy! - entries will be judged on creativity, originality and the execution of your idea.

How to enter:

1 Download 1.9.0 from here: serato.com (if you haven't already)
2 Film yourself using the LiveFeed feature (Maximum length of Video is 4 mins)
3 Upload your video to www.youtube.com, vimeo.com, or other similar video hosting site.
4 Post your links in this thread here.
5 Entries will be judged on creativity, originality and execution of the idea.
6 Entries close 28th of May 2009

Note: You will not be judged on the video production quality, but we do need to be able to see and hear what you are doing, so make sure its clear and audible.

*First place gets a special mixed pack of limited vinyl and other goodies.
*2nd and 3rd place gets some colored vinyl.

Conditions of entry: Our decision on who wins is final. No hurt feelings please :)
DVDjHardy 3:00 AM - 6 May, 2009
Nice!
Maskrider 7:12 AM - 6 May, 2009
I don'nt even know how to use livefeed.
phaeton 10:49 AM - 6 May, 2009
Quote:

I don't even know what it does....live sampler or something? Thanks im new.
bourbonstmc 1:52 PM - 6 May, 2009
Quote:
No hurt feelings please :)

Good luck with that. :)
DVDjHardy 2:00 PM - 6 May, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

More along the lines of feeding live animals at the zoo, using your control vinyl as a plate. The more exotic the animal...the better your chances to win!
DJ Young Herrera 3:12 PM - 6 May, 2009
I have a monkey.
FunkyRob 6:16 PM - 6 May, 2009
1st place should be an SL3 or a 57 :)

I'm going to give this a shot for the hell of it.
soon-2-be-ex-FS2user_2.0 7:46 PM - 6 May, 2009
is free?
Nicky Blunt 7:55 PM - 6 May, 2009
Quote:
I spank my monkey.

errrr dont think thats gonna win u any prizes here bezzle
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:44 PM - 6 May, 2009
....ummm i havent posted in here yet, were you just assuming I would and decided to misquote me in advance or do you just have me on your mind....creepy either way!!
Nicky Blunt 9:45 PM - 6 May, 2009
hahah sorry got you mixed with derrick
Nicky Blunt 9:45 PM - 6 May, 2009
my bad homie!
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:54 PM - 6 May, 2009
all good
Psyko Logical 9:58 PM - 6 May, 2009
rubs hands together
DJ Jonasty 3:33 AM - 7 May, 2009
How do you use live feed?
SiRocket 4:20 AM - 7 May, 2009
i sold my submission video on ebay.... can i just get some control vinyl?? ;)
DJ Young Herrera 2:29 PM - 7 May, 2009
What the hell?
Turn Table Tennis 3:16 AM - 8 May, 2009
that went downhill pretty fast.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 3:43 AM - 8 May, 2009
Quote:

This is a good reason to learn, right? :)
Nicky Blunt 5:24 AM - 8 May, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

+1
DJBIGWIZ 6:12 AM - 8 May, 2009
if we have more than 1 way to use it can we submit more than 1 entry or do we have to put all our ideas on 1 video?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 7:57 AM - 8 May, 2009
You can submit more that one vid if you like, or if you can get several ideas across thoroughly in 4 mins, that's all good too.

Here are some basic ideas to get you guys who have never used it started:

Plug in a mic. Set the record source to mic. Load the LiveFeed track to a deck. Get your cousin to say ahhhh fressshhh into the mic. Watch it "record" onto the deck on the fly, and then Scratch it.

If you have an SL 3 or a 57, you could try setting the record source to aux, and then plug in an instrument. Get your favorite local cover band guitarist to do some some face melting solos, and cut that up....
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:03 PM - 8 May, 2009
Shouldn't there be 2 catagories then...best use with an sl1 and best use with an sl3..since both have different capabilities..and basically isn't this a scratchoff?
DJBIGWIZ 1:48 PM - 8 May, 2009
not really.. the feature is what it is weather you use the sl-1, sl3, mp4 or the TTM-57

read the manual, think about what it does and how you can apply it creatively
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:02 PM - 8 May, 2009
but your limited in what you can use as a input on wether you have a SL-1 which has a mic input, or the 57 or SL3 which has the aux in RCA input
vio0633 2:30 PM - 8 May, 2009
Does anyone actually use this feature at any of their gigs?
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:33 PM - 8 May, 2009
i looke don youtube to try and get a seed for a creative idea and the only vids i found were from the shows\developers advertisments.....i think the point to this contest is to get people off their ass and start thinking about and using it...since i cant scratch to save my life im having alot of trouble comming up with any use for it
lost vegas 4:25 PM - 8 May, 2009
I've been runnig acid pro 6.0 into mine and doing on the fly remixes then beatmatching them into my sets... Kinda fun so far.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:27 PM - 8 May, 2009
Quote:
I've been runnig acid pro 6.0 into mine and doing on the fly remixes then beatmatching them into my sets... Kinda fun so far.

see that for example you couldnt do on an SL1 correct??
DJBIGWIZ 5:36 PM - 8 May, 2009
I think the whole thing is about being creative... if people have to tell you what to do with the feature or how to be creative it kind of defeats the purpose of the contest.
For those who can't think of how to use it, maybe after the contest you will have some ideas.
Maskrider 6:35 PM - 8 May, 2009
Quote:
I think the whole thing is about being creative... if people have to tell you what to do with the feature or how to be creative it kind of defeats the purpose of the contest.
For those who can't think of how to use it, maybe after the contest you will have some ideas.

This is what I wanna see.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 9:34 PM - 8 May, 2009
Quote:

There you go - another cool idea.

I want to stress that this comp is not based on scratch skills - its about being creative, as BIGWIZ said ^
FunkyRob 12:44 AM - 12 May, 2009
Quote:
Does anyone actually use this feature at any of their gigs?

yes, I bring my cousin to all my gigs so he can say "ahhhhhhhh" and "Freshhhhhhh!" in to the mic.
DJBIGWIZ 12:59 AM - 12 May, 2009
hahahaha
vio0633 3:29 AM - 12 May, 2009
hahaha!
mastermind 5:21 AM - 12 May, 2009
freshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
djpiojo 8:19 PM - 12 May, 2009
and they said this feature will revolutionize the game...
DJBIGWIZ 8:31 PM - 12 May, 2009
haha.. you never know
SiRocket 8:39 PM - 12 May, 2009
well, what enferno's doing... and such with live remix shit... that is whats going forth in the live performance game. I think the livefeed does great things for the dj once again on stage, whether it be with artists or on his own.

One thing serato can't give you is creativity... they give you the tools though!
DJBIGWIZ 8:42 PM - 12 May, 2009
Quote:

One thing serato can't give you is creativity... they give you the tools though!

+1!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 5:11 AM - 15 May, 2009
Seeing you guys are taking your time, we are going to kick it off with a vid of us messing around in the office:

Watchwww.youtube.com

I know you guys can do better than that ;-)
DJBIGWIZ 5:35 AM - 15 May, 2009
HAHAHAHA.... "Do something good Nick" that's great.

What up Nick!
Serato
Brigid 5:39 AM - 15 May, 2009
This is pretty much the greatest support video yet from Serato :)
sixxx 6:07 AM - 15 May, 2009
lol
Nicky Blunt 7:48 AM - 15 May, 2009
hahahah awesome! but it seems like those using the 57 will have a greater advantage than those using an sl1 as you have the effects in the 57!

There should be two catagories one for the 57 & one for the sl1.

Thats my opinion anyways!
DVDjHardy 8:32 AM - 15 May, 2009
You can have effects with any mixer Nicky...just get an EFX 500 :)
DeezNotes 12:33 PM - 15 May, 2009
Where is Sheak??? I know he has something up his sleeve...
Nicky Blunt 1:01 PM - 15 May, 2009
I guess so! but still think those on the 57 have the advantage!!!!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:46 PM - 15 May, 2009
thats what i was saying earlier on, it seems to me those with an SL3 have an advantage over those with an sl1, with an SL1 you only have a mic input so your limited in that respect where you can only intput with a mic where as with an SL3 you can use the RCAs to input from an external source....Ive been racking my brain and with the SL1 all you can do is have someone say something into the Mic and scratch it....hows that supposed to compete with someone whos messing with an external input from ableton or a live instrament player or something like that
djmallon 2:04 PM - 15 May, 2009
im recording something up this weekend. gonna set the bar high boys.
DVDjHardy 3:01 PM - 15 May, 2009
Quote:
thats what i was saying earlier on, it seems to me those with an SL3 have an advantage over those with an sl1, with an SL1 you only have a mic input so your limited in that respect where you can only intput with a mic where as with an SL3 you can use the RCAs to input from an external source....Ive been racking my brain and with the SL1 all you can do is have someone say something into the Mic and scratch it....hows that supposed to compete with someone whos messing with an external input from ableton or a live instrament player or something like that

www.zzounds.com + mono output
Kool DJ Sheak One 7:20 PM - 15 May, 2009
Quote:

I have many things up both my sleeves.
Working with some crazy ideas that will blow minds.
Too bad Livefeed is buggy as all hell.

Oh yes, I will win this competition.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:38 PM - 15 May, 2009
DAAAAMNNNNN gotta love the cofidence you love to see that in a competitor and i think were really in for a show back to you steve
FunkyRob 11:03 PM - 15 May, 2009
I'd love to have a job at Serato.
DJ Unique 11:13 AM - 16 May, 2009
Quote:
I'd love to have a job at Serato.

So would I but only if they pay for relocating.
LOL
djdragon 4:15 AM - 17 May, 2009
Quote:

Durrr there is no advantage other than fidelity and line Aux why don't you use a DI box into the Mic input on the SL1 or even better use this unit...

www.radialeng.com

And now your lament is resolved.
djdragon 4:20 AM - 17 May, 2009
Holy crap why are so many of you dissecting about what unit has an advantage?!

Fear is the mind killer people.
DJBIGWIZ 4:34 AM - 17 May, 2009
people do not want to have to THINK outside the box or be creative and realize the solution.... it's easier to sit and say... mine wont do that, yours is better so it's not fair.

It's a competition people, be CREATIVE or don't compete... you shouldn't expect people to give you ideas for a competition... if they have to tell you how to be creative, where's the creativity in that? Seriously?

Now, don't get all mad... use that energy to think of ways around what you perceive to be a problem or limitation and do something creative!

;)
allenbina 6:02 PM - 17 May, 2009
does everyone else also have a small delay before the sound comes out of the monitors or is my computer not up to par?
BruceBlaQ 6:21 PM - 17 May, 2009
this will be fun
Psyko Logical 7:55 PM - 17 May, 2009
Oh shit. Dragon's coming with the Bene Gesserit skills. Watch out people.
Serato
Aroha 9:30 PM - 17 May, 2009
Quote:
people do not want to have to THINK outside the box or be creative and realize the solution.... it's easier to sit and say... mine wont do that, yours is better so it's not fair.

It's a competition people, be CREATIVE or don't compete... you shouldn't expect people to give you ideas for a competition... if they have to tell you how to be creative, where's the creativity in that? Seriously?

Now, don't get all mad... use that energy to think of ways around what you perceive to be a problem or limitation and do something creative!

;)

I couldn't have said it better myself :)
Serato, Moderator
Warik 9:42 PM - 17 May, 2009
smart man is that Wiz. :)
DJBIGWIZ 10:22 PM - 17 May, 2009
hahaha
simonak 12:04 AM - 18 May, 2009
when is the dead line for the comp?-have an idea but need to borrow a video camera 1st..
Serato
Aroha 12:07 AM - 18 May, 2009
Quote:

How to enter:

1 Download 1.9.0 from here: serato.com (if you haven't already)
2 Film yourself using the LiveFeed feature (Maximum length of Video is 4 mins)
3 Upload your video to www.youtube.com, vimeo.com, or other similar video hosting site.
4 Post your links in this thread here.
5 Entries will be judged on creativity, originality and execution of the idea.
6 Entries close 28th of May 2009
djphilly 5:29 AM - 18 May, 2009
plans for tomorrow. sit down and think! haha
Dj Knockout101 12:12 PM - 18 May, 2009
I want to do this so bad, but I have no extra time on my hands right about now.
JohnBeez 12:31 PM - 18 May, 2009
I should have somethin to show y'all before the deadline. JYEAH
djdragon 2:19 PM - 18 May, 2009
Quote:

The SL3 sounds good but it's far from a Weirding Module tho'
DJ Young Herrera 3:50 PM - 18 May, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Haha. I thought I was the only one who got that reference. Muadib, his name is a killing word.
djphilly 5:49 PM - 18 May, 2009
oh no, not the johnbeez with the fretless fader?!?
djdragon 6:25 PM - 18 May, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Haha. I thought I was the only one who got that reference. Muadib, his name is a killing word.

nerds, the lot of us LOL
allenbina 6:42 PM - 18 May, 2009
@everyone so am I the only one getting a short delay #ignoringme
DJBIGWIZ 6:46 PM - 18 May, 2009
Quote:
@everyone so am I the only one getting a short delay #ignoringme

no, a very short delay is normal
allenbina 6:57 PM - 18 May, 2009
normal != acceptable. this is the first time I've seen serato lower their standard to "normal"
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:05 PM - 18 May, 2009
Quote:
normal != acceptable. this is the first time I've seen serato lower their standard to "normal"

when he says normal he means its supposed to be there, when you use the live feed it records until there is a break in the noise then it begins the playback on your vinyl, so if you get on mic and say "hey this is my first time using live feed and i have no idea how it works"...none of that is going to come out of the speakers until you finish talking, then it will have a second delay then that gets played back through your vinyl. Its how it was designed so that the whole sound gets recorded...also i dont see how serato can "lower their standards" to a new product their currently SETTING the standard for

If i gave any incorrect info someone let me know
DJBIGWIZ 7:12 PM - 18 May, 2009
I would think how much of a delay there is could also could be dependent on your computer specs. It's recording a live source so I think some latency is to be expected but it's not much at all on mine... easily acceptable for what the feature provides.
Quote:
when you use the live feed it records until there is a break in the noise then it begins the playback on your vinyl, so if you get on mic and say "hey this is my first time using live feed and i have no idea how it works"...none of that is going to come out of the speakers until you finish talking,

If i gave any incorrect info someone let me know

haha.. that is incorrect. If you get on the mic and start talking, it starts recording AND playing back in real time... you can scratch or whatever WHILE it is recording... but there is a VERY slight delay from when you start talking to when it starts playing.
There are 2 mode of live feed however. 1 records non stop the other only records when a signal over a certain threshold is present and stops recording when the sound source stops... and will start recording again when the sound is present again
SiRocket 7:14 PM - 18 May, 2009
thumbs up to big wiz doing big things, and helping out!
DJBIGWIZ 7:15 PM - 18 May, 2009
to further clarify, if you start recording..

"hey this is my first time using live feed and i have no idea how it works"

you will hear and can start scratching "hey" probably right before "this" is even said.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:16 PM - 18 May, 2009
ok i fogot about it having 2 modes, thanks for the correction
allenbina 7:21 PM - 18 May, 2009
My record is playing at normal speed. I load the live feed to the deck. I start talking on the mic. There is a noticeable delay between when I actually speak and when the sound comes out of my mixer. This delay is annoying at best, unusable at worst. Had scratchlive worked with such a delay, scratching would be out of the question and it would have made the software pointless.

Clearly this isn't my computer since my desktop is fast and has the same delay. Would any of the differences between the sl1 and the sl3 cause the sl1 to have a delay while the sl3 would not? i'm seeing 3rd deck coming if that's true. is anyone with a sl3 having the delay?
allenbina 7:21 PM - 18 May, 2009
Quote:
ok i fogot about it having 2 modes, thanks for the correction

i believe both modes should play it live.. ? i've only used the gated one.
DJBIGWIZ 7:30 PM - 18 May, 2009
Allenbina, I don't think there is gonna be much difference between the SL-1, SL-3 or the 57

Scratch Live playing a mp3 or wav is a little different that audio already exists so I think the latency from playing that is gonna be a little different from recording something that does not already exist and having it play at the exact time it is spoken.. I believe a slight delay is to be expexted... maybe this can be shortened in time... I don't think the delay I get from it is really that bad. Maybe you can post a clip (audio or video) of your problem.
But if you are using it to scratch something someone's saying, and let's say they are counting "1,2,3,4,5,6,..." etc.. and you can start scratching 1 as they are saying 2 I really dont think that is bad... after if you are gonna start scratching something, the recording is gonna go on anyway so at that point it shouldn't really matter because you are holding the record at "2" while they are still speaking and are on 4,5,6,7,... by now so the audio you are manipulating wouldn't be up to speed with them anyway... ,ake sense?
DJBIGWIZ 7:30 PM - 18 May, 2009
that is "make sense?" not ake sense hahaha
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:34 PM - 18 May, 2009
are you using the gated or ungated mode??
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:35 PM - 18 May, 2009
damn i need to type quicker you already answered
DJBIGWIZ 7:35 PM - 18 May, 2009
if you want to use this feature to let something just play through in real time with out controlling it at all then it is pointless to use ut.... say if you want it to play something someone is saying but you dont want to scratch it or whatever.. then it's the same as just letting them say it on the mic...once you start manipulating it, the issue of it being SLIGHTLY off is moot.

Also,I'm sure once people post their submissions for the contest, we will all see ways of using this feature that we have not considered yet that will make this slight delay not a problem
DJBIGWIZ 7:36 PM - 18 May, 2009
it depends on what I'm using it for. I'll explain more in detail after the competition if it's still needed :)
allenbina 7:44 PM - 18 May, 2009
serato had mic record ages ago. that made perfect sense. the delay throws everything off. this reminds me of when I was first recording tracks on a really shitty soundcard that had the same funky delay. i'd tell my friends to keep playing even though what they could hear in their headphones was a little bit behind.

whats the point of having a live feed thats behind. i understand how its supposed to work and why its supposed to work, but if i have a live bass player playing and he's coming in untentionally late, who cares if i can scratch it? its coming in late.

i can imagine there was a lot of internal discussion about this before it was released. while it was a good concept, it lacks in proof of concept.

alnbnakrft
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:50 PM - 18 May, 2009
But the thing is though once you start scratching\manipulating the sound isnt the timing going to be off anyways?? Like if you have a bass player and he plays a few notes isnt the timing then off anyways??
DJBIGWIZ 7:50 PM - 18 May, 2009
not trying to be funny or being an asshole (seriously) but maybe you don't fully get the feature or ways it can be implemented as you think.
I'd say wait 'till the contest is over and maybe you'll find ways to use it that can be useful to you. If not, don't use it... you don't have to.

The mic recording Scratch Live had ages ago is different from Live Feed... althiugh they both record an external audio source, they are 2 different features.
DJBIGWIZ 7:52 PM - 18 May, 2009
Quote:
But the thing is though once you start scratching\manipulating the sound isnt the timing going to be off anyways?? Like if you have a bass player and he plays a few notes isnt the timing then off anyways??

EXACTLY! That was my point... I don't think some people really see a use for this feature YET, but I'm sure they will.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:54 PM - 18 May, 2009
I personally cant think of any use in my own personal sets but thats simply because i cant scratch...still brainstorming on an alternative way to use it
DJBIGWIZ 7:57 PM - 18 May, 2009
by the way... the mic recording Scratch Live used ages ago (haha) still works the same way.
Live Feed is a new and different feature and there ways that can benifit people other than scratching which will be brought to light from the contest I'm sure. I plan on showing a use for it that could come in handy for people if someone else doesn't do it and if I don't get around to it, I'll just tell everyone what it is AFTER the contest.
allenbina 8:41 PM - 18 May, 2009
dear fools:

i like serato just as much as the next guy. you don't need to blindly defend them. the feature is weak. i don't care if you admit it or not.

clearly neither of you have played with a live band. The difference between live feed and mic record is the live aspect.

If I want to scratch someone saying "1, 2, 3, 4, 5" and scratch it in time, its up to me to scratch properly. they say the phrase in real time. they only hear the "1" and I make magic happen across as long as it needs to go.

assume I want to scratch that phrase but it comes after another phrase. assume that phrase is something like

deep link (may or may not work) Watchwww.youtube.com
check 2:03 into it Watchwww.youtube.com

assume the guy on the hook is just rapping. the dj starts scratching his phrase in the middle. that means the guy on the hook needs to be ON TIME before i start scratching. the whole point of this is to be live isnt it? if the guy rapping is off beat BEFORE i start scratching, the whole thing is moot.

disagreements are welcome, but if you disagree, start disagreeing a fraction of second before you actually mean to disagree so it sounds like its in time.
DJBIGWIZ 8:53 PM - 18 May, 2009
fools? I UNDERSTAND how to benifit from the feature and have DJ'd for more bands and groups around the world of varying genres than you probably ever will!

YOU are clearly the FOOL here and too blind to see it just like you can't seem to get your simple brain around this feature... people are just trying to help you and I was the ONLY person to respond to you initally and TRY to offer you some support and you want to call me a fool? Really.... fuck you dude! You can't see it so you think it doesn't exist.Stay ignorant and in the dark!
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:09 PM - 18 May, 2009
damn this compitions getting fierce
DJBIGWIZ 9:12 PM - 18 May, 2009
fools? I UNDERSTAND how to benifit from the feature and have DJ'd for more bands and groups around the world of varying genres than you probably ever will!

YOU are clearly the FOOL here and too blind to see it just like you can't seem to get your simple brain around this feature... people are just trying to help you and I was the ONLY person to respond to you initally and TRY to offer you some support and you want to call me a fool? Really.... fuck you dude! You can't see it so you think it doesn't exist.Stay ignorant and in the dark!
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:13 PM - 18 May, 2009
damn this compitions getting DOUBLE fierce
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 9:14 PM - 18 May, 2009
Anyway .... chill guys, lets get back on topic here. This is the competition thread. If you're not keen on entering, you don't have to... :)
DJBIGWIZ 9:14 PM - 18 May, 2009
ooops.. haha sorry for the double post, I don't know how that happened.. my connection glitched for a sec and there it was.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:14 PM - 18 May, 2009
well said
DJBIGWIZ 9:14 PM - 18 May, 2009
Quote:
damn this compitions getting DOUBLE fierce

hahahahahahaha
DJBIGWIZ 9:18 PM - 18 May, 2009
sorry Nick, it just bothers me when people ASK for help and you offer them help (when you could be spending your time doing something else other than trying to help someone you owe nothing to) and they turn around and start talking shit instead of being appreciative of the fact that someone is listening to them and trying to offer them help that they ASKED for. I'll try to play nice again. :)
allenbina 11:38 PM - 18 May, 2009
my bad for calling you a fool.

no one has answered if the hardware differences in the sl3 or 57 would cause for different delays in output.

the delay is stupid.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 11:44 PM - 18 May, 2009
Quote:
no one has answered if the hardware differences in the sl3 or 57 would cause for different delays in output.

There will be no difference in delay times.
djmallon 1:49 AM - 19 May, 2009
Mods: the 4min time limit....how hard of a limit is it? I'm clocking in just under 5 minutes...should I cut stuff?
allenbina 2:16 AM - 19 May, 2009
speed it up by 25%
Turn Table Tennis 2:17 AM - 19 May, 2009
Quote:
I want to do this so bad, but I have no extra time on my hands right about now.

In the time it took you to read this thread and reply.... you could have made your video.
Just think about that for 4 minutes.
djmallon 2:31 AM - 20 May, 2009
Alright!

Here's my entry:

Watchwww.youtube.com

I'm not a huge scratcher, so sorry about that. Tried to show the possibilities you can do with this stuff! Acapella was in the sample player, livefeed on right deck, instrumental on left.

I've also uploaded my first try at the whole thing where I went about the 'routine' a little differently...not really an entry, just some extra footage to see what I was thinking.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Feedback always welcome. Word!
DVDjHardy 3:04 AM - 20 May, 2009
Well done Mallon! It was falling off beat at times, but around 3:00 mark its really dope and I like how you used the cue points to basically "play" along in the proper keys.
djmallon 3:05 AM - 20 May, 2009
Yeah...I wasn't 100% impressed with it, but I didn't want to keep bugging my neighbours to tape me doing it over and over, hahah...the second link is a bit better time wise.
Serato
Aroha 3:09 AM - 20 May, 2009
Thanks for getting the ball rolling djmallon :)

Looking forward to more!
DJBIGWIZ 3:18 AM - 20 May, 2009
I like your idea (and keyboard playing) and the fact you did kick this thing off, I just don't think this really shows the best use of "Live Feed" ... basically what you did was record everything in advance and then set it all up and THEN start your routine. That could have just been done with the way SSL records and saves as it always has and doesn't really focus on the "live" aspect of the feature. But again, I dig your idea and what you did... I just don't think it was a little off the mark of Live Feed.
Serato
Brigid 3:29 AM - 20 May, 2009
I want your dog djmallon!! When you come to NZ bring him pleeeease haha
Serato
Brigid 3:30 AM - 20 May, 2009
If anyone misquotes my post above, there will be consequences :)
djmallon 3:35 AM - 20 May, 2009
Bigwiz...I get your point but I'm gonna slightly disagree. It's not going to make a difference (for this competition) if I have a track playing, mix in an instrumental, and then you the viewer get to sit around for a minute while I get everything played into Livefeed, wind the record back, then start the acapella and go.

Besides, at least with my SL1, there is a slight delay between me hitting the notes and them coming out the speakers. The reason why they do come out in sync on the video is because I split my laptops main out into two feeds -> one went to the aux in of the 56 and the other into Livefeed.

In support of your argument though...I could have well just loaded up Garageband and played everything live over the beats (though not have the ability to manipulate the records at the same time). In the end, you could do a fair amount of this stuff WITHOUT live feed, but the point is that I did it WITH live feed right? I understand your point and respectfully slightly disagree, hahah. :)

Quote:
I want your dog djmallon!! When you come to NZ bring him pleeeease haha

He's a big baby Brigid, hahah. His name is Max and he's a beagle. Turned 8 last month :)
DJBIGWIZ 3:43 AM - 20 May, 2009
Quote:

hahahaha
Serato
Brigid 3:51 AM - 20 May, 2009
Quote:
He's a big baby Brigid, hahah. His name is Max and he's a beagle. Turned 8 last month :)

Key-ute! Beagles are my fav. But keep this on topic, thanks heaps for posting the video up. It's good to get this thing rolling and I was digging the keys.
DJBIGWIZ 3:52 AM - 20 May, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

hahahaha

Quote:
In the end, you could do a fair amount of this stuff WITHOUT live feed, but the point is that I did it WITH live feed right? I understand your point and respectfully slightly disagree, hahah. :)

hahah.. hey, it'a all good.. everybody has an opinion right? True you DID do it with Live Feed (good point) so that does count. I was just getting at the fact there are things Live Feed will allow you to do that cannot be done with the other way SSL lets you recoed but please don't take that as me knocking you effort because I'm not.. and thanks for getting this thing going.
Dj_KaGeN 4:20 AM - 20 May, 2009
nice work Mallon.
djdragon 4:53 AM - 20 May, 2009
Quote:
nice work Mallon.

+1
ral 5:38 AM - 20 May, 2009
here's my entry
- used the 2 livefeed tracks in each deck
- made my own beat by tryin to beatbox
- then scream my own samples, load echo efx, and get crazy with some scratchin'
- enjoy!

www.stickam.com
Kool DJ Sheak One 6:03 AM - 20 May, 2009
cool vids ral and mallon.
DJ Sniffles 5:04 PM - 20 May, 2009
Quote:
here's my entry
- used the 2 livefeed tracks in each deck
- made my own beat by tryin to beatbox
- then scream my own samples, load echo efx, and get crazy with some scratchin'
- enjoy!

www.stickam.com

That would have been about 10x doper if you started beatjuggling the beatbox hahaha
ral 5:20 PM - 20 May, 2009
lol. i tried! i can't instant double! *feature suggestion!
Kool DJ Sheak One 6:47 PM - 20 May, 2009
the problem is livefeed has some serious issues which prevent the creative juices from flowing to their full potential :(
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:50 PM - 20 May, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
the problem is livefeed has some serious issues which prevent the creative juices from flowing to their full potential :(

haha my curiosity is peaked
DJBIGWIZ 6:55 PM - 20 May, 2009
Quote:

I agree except I wouldn't call it "serious issues" it's a cool feature but just like any feature, creativity will outgrow it... a feature is what it is (until it's is updated) but creativity does not have to be locked into any boundaries... that's why things like SSL keep getting updated because creative people keep being creative and need more room for expression.
I'd like to see instant doubles of Live Feed and being able to drag a live feed recording into the SP-6 for starters.
SiRocket 6:57 PM - 20 May, 2009
Quote:

yea one being, that its hard to be a one man team and make a video with you doing everything.... you need another person in the picture to play the keys, or drums, or speak so you can really be creative ;)
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:03 PM - 20 May, 2009
auto-livefeed???
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:40 PM - 22 May, 2009
contest has been in full swing for almost 3 weeks.....6 days until the deadline....2 submissions and 1 full blown argument.....isit possible to win this contest by default??? I think ill make a submission tonight cause 1 in 3 is good odds!!
DJBIGWIZ 7:17 PM - 22 May, 2009
I expect there will be more closer to the deadline but who knows.
Is there a prize for the full blown argument?
:)
FunkyRob 6:01 AM - 24 May, 2009
Damn, I just tried doing some stuff with live feed for the first time and got absolutely nothing usable.

I had all this clever shit in my head, but I just now figured out you can't loop the live feed while it's playing back. Totally defeats the whole thing I was going to come up with.
DJBIGWIZ 7:13 AM - 24 May, 2009
Quote:
Damn, I just tried doing some stuff with live feed for the first time and got absolutely nothing usable.

I had all this clever shit in my head, but I just now figured out you can't loop the live feed while it's playing back. Totally defeats the whole thing I was going to come up with.

hahaha.... I was there, I feel your pain.
djphilly 4:02 PM - 24 May, 2009
i hate my voice lol
Serato
Aroha 9:26 PM - 24 May, 2009
aw come on djphilly - we wanna hear your dulcet tones! :P
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:28 AM - 25 May, 2009
here comes your next entry...

this time coming from Humboldt County, California and featuring reggae superstar Fantan Mojah alongside your boy DJ Dub Cowboy.

Watchwww.youtube.com

I didn't have time to plan this and I had to keep starting over due to the fact that he kept singing the whole song dub-plate style. Yet, I am extremely thankful that he agreed to help me with entry because I just can't sing as good as him. Live Feed is pretty tricky, but this feature has some potential.

Enjoy
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:30 AM - 25 May, 2009
if you are curious the song is Fantan Mojah "I Will Survive" on Baby G's Miracle Riddim - check it
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:32 AM - 25 May, 2009
oh and I am sure which part is craziest.

the fact that he let me start the vid over about 10 times

or that I edited and uploaded this in the middle of the woods. It was just few years ago that there still was not wired phone service where I am standing.
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:39 AM - 25 May, 2009
Q= ?

A= for medicinal use only
djmallon 2:18 AM - 25 May, 2009
upload some of the other takes dub!

i watched it a second time and relaized mojah finished rolling up a j at the end, hahaha.
djstingray 8:35 AM - 25 May, 2009
I have yet to get my 57 to mute the aux, even using firmware 3.11. So no video from me. I have some great ideas too.
djdragon 5:59 PM - 25 May, 2009
So since I don't have time to enter, I am donating my entry to whom ever wants to set it up and post it. Best of luck.

Here is the diagram of a DJ 4x2 using Live Feed www.djdragon.ca this way you can sample and cut and scratch each others routines or DJ Sets. This should also work with the SL3.
Kool DJ Sheak One 6:08 PM - 25 May, 2009
^^ have that setup, but just with a 57 and another box
However, the signal degradation is pretty significant after comping more than two or three times. If Serato creates a way to actually capture loops and samples created in livefeed, then we can be onto something with a 2X4. As of now, everything you create is fleeting and only lasts a few seconds, and quality depletes rather quickly between setups.
With that said, my entry is almost done, can't wait to show everyone!
grrillatactics 4:42 PM - 27 May, 2009
I really liked the idea that ral had in his entry. And Sniffles is right, if you had started juggling, that would have been super-dope (or even if you just started throwing down some drumming?).
Dj Corleone508 8:31 PM - 27 May, 2009
Hey whats up guys this is my submission let me know what u think

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:41 PM - 27 May, 2009
nice one bruv!
SiRocket 8:50 PM - 27 May, 2009
nice one... thats how i would use it :)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 8:58 PM - 27 May, 2009
Thanks for the entries so far guys!

Remember - last day for entries is tomorrow, so don't sleep!
Dj Corleone508 11:17 PM - 27 May, 2009
thanks guys if you like the M.C check out his group
www.myspace.com
JohnBeez 11:42 PM - 27 May, 2009
How strict are you about the deadline? Midnight at what timezone? I can't shoot till tommorow.
billybobbarmcake 11:46 PM - 27 May, 2009
Just from seeing some of the stuff he's done before, I think John Beez's entry will be worth extending the deadline for ;)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 11:52 PM - 27 May, 2009
Not too strict - Tomorrow is Friday in New Zealand, and we will be compiling the entries next Monday (NZ time...) - Sunday in the USA.

Get them in before Sunday, and you'll be ok :)
djmallon 12:42 AM - 28 May, 2009
Well snap, if it's Sunday I'm gonna shoot another entry tomorrow for shits n giggles...be on the lookout.
Kool DJ Sheak One 1:08 AM - 28 May, 2009
Alrighty Then!

Here's my entry (on time too!)
A four minute jam.
Nothing pre-recorded, all live performers; "PhoRealDoe" and livefeed
Enjoy...

Watchwww.youtube.com
djmallon 1:15 AM - 28 May, 2009
sheak, that's mad dope. what was running through livefeed exactly? the mic and stu on the mac?
FunkyRob 2:06 AM - 28 May, 2009
PhoRealDoe gets my vote.
Sol*los 3:53 AM - 28 May, 2009
I'm no crazy scratcher now....

Watchwww.youtube.com

This was on, so i had to make a vid on it too.....

Watchwww.youtube.com
djdragon 4:27 AM - 28 May, 2009
Quote:
Alrighty Then!

Here's my entry

Watchwww.youtube.com

+1 on this. I like it.
djphilly 5:07 AM - 28 May, 2009
sunday in the US you say... i have a chance!!
tehBEN 7:51 AM - 28 May, 2009
PhoRealDoe gets my vote
lost vegas 8:17 AM - 28 May, 2009
Sol*los gets my vote.... Its so simple but sometimes the best things are!!! Way cool..
DJ FlowJay 9:32 AM - 28 May, 2009
Sol*los gets mine

also used the feed in the club on saturday on the acas of our mc,but no cam,sorry.
SUBSTANCE 12:21 PM - 28 May, 2009
how do you save what's on the livefeed deck?
Nicky Blunt 1:40 PM - 28 May, 2009
Gonna try to get one done this weekend!
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:18 PM - 28 May, 2009
GET ER DONE!!!
djjoefresh 2:48 PM - 28 May, 2009
I'm working on my entry right now, hopefully will be done by tonight!
djchope 6:16 PM - 28 May, 2009
can we still upload a video today??i left my camera at my studio :S
FunkyRob 7:06 PM - 28 May, 2009
Quote:

I don't think you can.
SUBSTANCE 9:24 PM - 28 May, 2009
^that's a feature suggestion for sure. I have some great LiveFeed samples on my left deck that I've been asked to save by the MC... and I can't?
DJBIGWIZ 9:44 PM - 28 May, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

I don't think you can.

Quote:
^that's a feature suggestion for sure. I have some great LiveFeed samples on my left deck that I've been asked to save by the MC... and I can't?

if using a TTM 57, set the "record" mode to pre a (if your live feed is on A or set it to pre B if your live feed is on B) to "record" that cahnnel (Im sure this would work on post a or b as well.... also, it will work if set to "mix" so I guess you don't HAVE to use a TTM 57) then start recording and play back your live feed track recording... when done, stop the recording and save it. The file will be in your Scratch Live "Recorded" crate
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 9:45 PM - 28 May, 2009
yeah you can - just hit record and save the file as per usual when you do a regular recording.
SUBSTANCE 12:53 AM - 29 May, 2009
hmmm... If I hit record it doesn't record the gated output, it records the mic output.
I see what you mean but I've had two occasions using the gated output where I ended up with an awesome scratch sentence or drop samples but couldn't save it.
I realise that saving it isn't really the purpose of LiveFeed... but when the deck is filled with Livefeed quotables, the option to drag/save the gated mic output would be chur.
also, I'd keep the gated feed running all night if I could reload LiveFeed onto the deck without starting a new file everytime.
For example, DJing for rappers. Backing track on one deck, and alternate between instant doubles, LiveFeed & other scratch samples on the other deck.
DJBIGWIZ 2:53 AM - 29 May, 2009
Quote:
hmmm... If I hit record it doesn't record the gated output, it records the mic output.
I see what you mean but I've had two occasions using the gated output where I ended up with an awesome scratch sentence or drop samples but couldn't save it.
I realise that saving it isn't really the purpose of LiveFeed... but when the deck is filled with Livefeed quotables, the option to drag/save the gated mic output would be chur.
also, I'd keep the gated feed running all night if I could reload LiveFeed onto the deck without starting a new file everytime.
For example, DJing for rappers. Backing track on one deck, and alternate between instant doubles, LiveFeed & other scratch samples on the other deck.

I don't think you are following what I'm saying... it is hard to explain so I've made a video clip (no sound)

you may want to click on the "full size" tab on the video and drag the bottom right corner to make it a little bigger and easier to see.

video link
s59.photobucket.com

here are the written steps... follow along with the video.
1. Record your live feed
2 stop the turntable and go the the start of the live feed track
3 set the record to pre A or MIX
4 press record
5 when done, press record again to stop
6 name your track
7 press the save button
8 the new SAVED live record track will show up in your "Recorded" crate (if you don't have one, SSL will create one for you after you save a recording.

enjoy

I used a demo version of iShowU to record this that's why there is the annoying watermark/message on the screen... ignore that... it is not part of the lesson.

if anybody has questions about the video like these below.... see the answers also below

Q: do I have to use internal mode?
A: no

Q: do I have to have a TTM 57 the worlds best mixer to do this?
A: no, but good for you if you do... you rock

Q: do I have to save my track under the name "there ya go"?
A: no

Q: I still don't get it... will you make another video for this?
A: hmmm... no, probably not

if you don't get it... read and watch again then try it out... play around with it.. you'll get it and maybe come up with something else in the process.
SUBSTANCE 3:28 AM - 29 May, 2009
ok, so you re-cue the gated LiveFeed signal & then record that deck. sweet.
Wouldn't 'export' or 'drag to desktop' be quicker? All good, that'll work for now...
After I left all the stuff on the deck overnight, the shit wouldn't re-cue anyway. lol
The vitual deck just kept spinning like crazy even thought the overview was still there.
back to the lab...
djvoltron 4:22 AM - 29 May, 2009
Here ya go
Watchwww.vimeo.com
ral 4:28 AM - 29 May, 2009
you remind me of this, go voltron! Watchwww.youtube.com
djvoltron 4:30 AM - 29 May, 2009
Quote:

LOL
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:33 AM - 29 May, 2009
Quote:

my vote FTW
djjoefresh 4:47 AM - 29 May, 2009
Here's my entry, sorry it's a little late but I hope you will still accept it!

Watchwww.vimeo.com
DJBIGWIZ 6:02 AM - 29 May, 2009
Quote:
ok, so you re-cue the gated LiveFeed signal & then record that deck. sweet.
Wouldn't 'export' or 'drag to desktop' be quicker? All good, that'll work for now...
After I left all the stuff on the deck overnight, the shit wouldn't re-cue anyway. lol
The vitual deck just kept spinning like crazy even thought the overview was still there.
back to the lab...

export and drag to desktop dpnt work for live feed tracks... I tried that first.
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:49 AM - 29 May, 2009
I got another one:

Watchwww.youtube.com

This was actually the idea I came up with for the contest and I wanted to do it on a busier night, but I had to leave town quickly due to my step-father passing. He would be proud of my entries.

Normally my Thursday night gig comes with a few requests, I had to film this on a Tuesday and there was only one request and it was a pretty good one. I got this idea from being on KSLG-FM. We would take requests by phone and record the conversation into the computer. Then we would make a quick edit of the request into a cart and load it up before the song played, all within a few minutes. It made us sound like we were really prepared and polished and let our listeners hear themselves on the air without us taking the risk that they would say something stupid.

I would like to point out that both of my Live Feed entries were at actual gigs. I wish they were more polished but so far Live Feed has done some unpredictable things at the time of execution. Now that I have used it a bunch, I'll post some feedback in the help section about what actually was happening.

...and just so you don't have to scroll too far...

here is my first entry again featuring reggae artist, Fantan Mojah

Watchwww.youtube.com

I also have to say that because of this contest I will be using Live Feed a lot more.
JohnBeez 12:05 PM - 29 May, 2009
Had to cancel my shoot yesterday... can't promise I'll have an entry but here's hoping I can fit it into my crazy weekend.
djdragon 1:04 PM - 29 May, 2009
Quote:
I got another one:

Watchwww.youtube.com

DJ Dub Cowboy should should win because he won over drunk girls requesting birthday songs and drunk shout outs using live feed! LOL
SUBSTANCE 2:34 PM - 29 May, 2009
FYI... I tried to record a LiveFeed deck but unfortunately, without the 57 I don't get the option to..."set the record to pre A or MIX"
With the SL1 I get three options. To record from 1 in, 2 in or Mic.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:56 PM - 29 May, 2009
isnt 1 and 2 the deck numbers....and in that case cant you record the livefeed on lets say deck 1, set the record to 1 and record whats on that deck in playback??
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:02 PM - 29 May, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
I got another one:

Watchwww.youtube.com

DJ Dub Cowboy should should win because he won over drunk girls requesting birthday songs and drunk shout outs using live feed! LOL

thanks, this is my plan to handle all the gaga requests., this way everybody knows who requested the song and that I'm not playing it just because. I love live feed.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:08 PM - 29 May, 2009
I used it last weekend at this girls b-day party. I gave the BDay girls friends the mic and told them to sing the happy bday song, they did (horribly may i add) and it was great because i didnt tell them what i was going to do so when i played it back and started scratching it they were all excited then really embarassed since everyone was hearing what should have been an embarrasing 20 seconds over again for about 2 minutes hahaha...if i knew before hand i was gonna do that I woulda recorded ti for the compition but i dout it woulda won sence my scratching is horrible..(luckily for me at a 13 14 15 year olds bday party they have no idea what good scratching is)
DJBIGWIZ 5:41 PM - 29 May, 2009
Quote:
I got another one:

Watchwww.youtube.com

hahaha... thanks for the shout man! Good to see people getting some use outta the vids.
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:45 PM - 29 May, 2009
Hey BIGWIZ,

Where is your entry?
SiRocket 5:48 PM - 29 May, 2009
he doesn't want people biting his shit... :D
DJBIGWIZ 5:57 PM - 29 May, 2009
Quote:
Hey BIGWIZ,

Where is your entry?

it (or hopefully, they) should be in over the weekend. I'm glad they said we have untill Sun. to get 'em in. I had wanted to do it the other day but some stuff came up and I couldn't... just been too busy lately.
Quote:
he doesn't want people biting his shit... :D

hahaha.. true but at this point, it doesn't matter.. plus, I'm not gonna have the time to do anything too crazy now but hopefully (just like everyone else that poseted)I can help people see and find ways of using live feed.
Kool DJ Sheak One 7:26 PM - 29 May, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Alrighty Then!

Here's my entry

Watchwww.youtube.com

+1 on this. I like it.

Thanks Dj Dragon.
FunkyRob 10:08 PM - 29 May, 2009
Quote:

Watchwww.vimeo.com

Joe is fresh.
djjoefresh 10:34 PM - 29 May, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.vimeo.com

Joe is fresh.

lol thanks man.
Turn Table Tennis 10:41 PM - 29 May, 2009
dub cowboy should win cuz his is the only video with a demonstration on how to "roll de spliff!"
SiRocket 10:47 PM - 29 May, 2009
i'm so pissed right now... my mic was working this morning, i had an instrumental selected... etc. and my 1/4 to xlr mic cable is intermittent and now wont work after "flexing it abit"... i can't resolder anything as the xlr plus is solid and won't come apart like most..

hopefully i make the sunday deadline.
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:26 AM - 30 May, 2009
Quote:
dub cowboy should win cuz his is the only video with a demonstration on how to "roll de spliff!"

LOL

we put that into every video that comes out of Humboldt as a public service.

Each1 Teach1
SiRocket 1:39 AM - 30 May, 2009
Quote:
i'm so pissed right now... my mic was working this morning, i had an instrumental selected... etc. and my 1/4 to xlr mic cable is intermittent and now wont work after "flexing it abit"... i can't resolder anything as the xlr plus is solid and won't come apart like most..

hopefully i make the sunday deadline.

its worth the serato swag ;)
DJ TOGTFO 10:48 AM - 30 May, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

haha my curiosity is peaked

"piqued"
Kool DJ Sheak One 3:45 PM - 30 May, 2009
The Grammar God strikes again!
It does make a difference how it's spelled..

Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

PhoRealDoe gets my vote

Thanks Ben
djphilly 9:16 PM - 30 May, 2009
had to cancel my shoot! good luck to everyone who entered!
dj_craigmac 9:18 PM - 30 May, 2009
Mallon gets my vote
DJ TOGTFO 11:17 PM - 30 May, 2009
I think Sheak should be the winner
BruceBlaQ 6:45 AM - 31 May, 2009
here is my extremely late entry...finished friday but was trying to get the sound right. doing ish mad bootleg ova here right now. camera vid, live5 audio, imovie production...anywho check out my entry please excuse the dubbed voice over look...had to sacrifice for better audio (not great but better:)

i had fun...hope y'all did too

Watchwww.youtube.com
BruceBlaQ 6:46 AM - 31 May, 2009
oh yeah excuse the abrupt cutoff...original version is 6min
DJBIGWIZ 6:54 AM - 31 May, 2009
ok good people, here it is.. my entry for the contest. I had wanted to do 2, one along the lines of what everyone else did, use a performer and scratch back their performance in real time and this one... showing a different use which I think more DJ's will be able to benefit from.
If you spin out a lot and ever get requests to play a song from someone's i-pod or mp3 player and never did because you can't "mix" it with what you are doing... well, now you can... you can feed the i-pod into SL with Live Feed and control the speed/pitch to "mix" it and still have use of cue points, loops, and loop rolls all in real time while the i-pod is playing the track. Hopefully this will come in handy for some of y'all.
Here it is: Watchwww.youtube.com
DJBIGWIZ 7:34 AM - 31 May, 2009
props to everyone who made time to do something for this... that was the biggest challange for me was locking down some free time... I still didn't have enough time to do the other entry I had in mind but it's all good.
Sol*los 7:51 AM - 31 May, 2009
DAM!!! great vid Big Wiz!!!

yo just a fyi I use to watch that Shure Vid where you talked about adding efx and a sampler ( the boomerang sampler) into the mix ALL the time intill I let someone borrow it and I never got it back. I even got a Kaoss Pad 1 asap after seeing it and i still have it till this day. Once again awesome video!!!!
DJBIGWIZ 7:57 AM - 31 May, 2009
haha... thanks man. I really wish I could have found time to do the other one I had in mind... it was more of a performance thing but I think this one will be more helpful overall.
Sol*los 8:02 AM - 31 May, 2009
Quote:
haha... thanks man. I really wish I could have found time to do the other one I had in mind... it was more of a performance thing but I think this one will be more helpful overall.

yeah it is. I can see myself using Live Feed as you did.
DJ Unique 9:27 AM - 31 May, 2009
Thanks DJBIGWIZ.
This video actually teaches us how to use that function.
DJ FlowJay 11:59 AM - 31 May, 2009
propz to wiz.

HOW did you get the THREE videos on the bottom?

PIP just is one video i think...???
Kool DJ Sheak One 3:42 PM - 31 May, 2009
Alrighty then!
So now that the competition is over, i have a "behind the scenes" video of the set I submitted earlier. It gives a better look at how it all went down and shows how determined we were to get a full performance in under four minutes.

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJBIGWIZ 5:07 PM - 31 May, 2009
Quote:
propz to wiz.

HOW did you get the THREE videos on the bottom?

PIP just is one video i think...???

Thanks, I had other cameras going and edited them all as one vid after recording.
DJBIGWIZ 5:22 PM - 31 May, 2009
Quote:
Alrighty then!
So now that the competition is over, i have a "behind the scenes" video of the set I submitted earlier. It gives a better look at how it all went down and shows how determined we were to get a full performance in under four minutes.

Watchwww.youtube.com

hahaha.... "this fuckin guy man..." that's great... I like how right at 4 mins, he tells you you're fine on time lol.
You should have recorded when you said "can we break it down?" and " get more turntable action" hahaha... that was cool... it'd be funny to see everybody's bloopers and out takes... I had one take where I did everything and went to stop the cameras and found out that I forgot to start them recording hahaha (it wasn't too funny at the time)
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:34 PM - 31 May, 2009
summery post

Welcome back to work SeartoHQ, have fun watching all these.

djmallon Watchwww.youtube.com

ral www.stickam.com

DJ Dub Cowboy entry 1 Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Dub Cowboy entry 2 Watchwww.youtube.com

DJ Corleone508 Watchwww.youtube.com

Kool DJ Skeak One Watchwww.youtube.com

Sol*Los Watchwww.youtube.com

BruceBlaQ Watchwww.youtube.com

DJBIGWIZ Watchwww.youtube.com

djvoltron Watchwww.vimeo.com

djjoefresh Watchwww.vimeo.com

I pulled all these up on my TV and watched them with the fam, I highly recommend watching them all back to back. Its definitely an honor to be in the mix with these other entries. Best of luck to everybody.
DJBIGWIZ 5:35 PM - 31 May, 2009
nice one Cowboy!
simonak 6:34 PM - 31 May, 2009
nice sounds djbigwiz

late late sorry sorry
heres my bash at the comp-im happy this is not a scratch comp:)

Watchwww.youtube.com

i tried this a 2nd time but live feed refused to work-its defo a bit buggy-major usb dropouts probably cause ableton was open at the same time-and had toi enter this as comp deadline looms-its still sunday here and im off to drink beers in the sun-

btw i was trying to scratch "its the shit" at the end and did not mean it to sound like just "shit"!
DJBIGWIZ 6:46 PM - 31 May, 2009
Quote:
nice sounds djbigwiz

late late sorry sorry
heres my bash at the comp-im happy this is not a scratch comp:)

Watchwww.youtube.com

i tried this a 2nd time but live feed refused to work-its defo a bit buggy-major usb dropouts probably cause ableton was open at the same time-and had toi enter this as comp deadline looms-its still sunday here and im off to drink beers in the sun-

btw i was trying to scratch "its the shit" at the end and did not mean it to sound like just "shit"!

thanks man.
was that a Ranesaw? That's real "cuttin" & scratchin there! hahaha I wanna see you break that out in a packed club. :)
simonak 8:48 PM - 31 May, 2009
lol yea-with various other powertool's-reckon an anglegrinder might go well with some drum n bass-sending sparks out into the crowd
And the ranesaw would defo keep those dam r n b requester's at bay:)
DJBIGWIZ 8:54 PM - 31 May, 2009
hahahaha... it did sound quite good tho... I would have never though to sample a chain saw.
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:05 PM - 31 May, 2009
I think I would rather have a Ranesaw than a TTM58, EmpathSL, or third deck.

do they come in white?
DJBIGWIZ 9:17 PM - 31 May, 2009
Quote:
I think I would rather have a Ranesaw than a TTM58, EmpathSL, or third deck.

do they come in white?

yes, but there are a VERY limited few and they are very hard to get unless someone sells them for WAY too much money on ebay
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:44 PM - 31 May, 2009
I heard they only gave them to a very select group of LumberDJacks.
DJBIGWIZ 9:52 PM - 31 May, 2009
hahahahaha
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:58 PM - 31 May, 2009
I got my iphone set to NZ time, they should be opening shop in a few minutes
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:46 PM - 31 May, 2009
I have been on the edge of my seat since I made my first entry. Today is going to be a long day....
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 11:21 PM - 31 May, 2009
Quote:
I have been on the edge of my seat since I made my first entry. Today is going to be a long day....

Made even longer by the fact that today is a public holiday in New Zealand - back to work tomorrow! ;)
DJ Dub Cowboy 11:42 PM - 31 May, 2009
awwwwww shucks!
DJBIGWIZ 11:48 PM - 31 May, 2009
haha.. anticipation fail!
djchase 3:15 AM - 1 June, 2009
dub cowboy you got fanton mojo to do yours man thats big
djjoefresh 4:12 AM - 1 June, 2009
Lot of creative videos here, can't wait to see which ones the Serato team likes best.
Sol*los 5:25 AM - 1 June, 2009
I'l beeeeeee daaaaaam!!!! one more day?!?!?!?
djchase 5:25 AM - 1 June, 2009
i want that oompa loompa sample who can hip me up with that badboy (no homo)
djjoefresh 5:39 AM - 1 June, 2009
Quote:
i want that oompa loompa sample who can hip me up with that badboy (no homo)

lol I sampled it from the actual movie via LiveFeed - I had the movie playing on my laptop in the background, and streamed it into LiveFeed with a little headphones-out-to-aux-in action. PM me and I'll do an audio grab of the Oompa Loompa song and send it to ya.
iNBiTuiN 6:40 AM - 1 June, 2009
Hopefully, this still gets in... saved the best for last!

Well, here's my late entry to Serato's LiveFeed Challenge. Haven't seen anybody try this or ever pull it off so...

www.facebook.com

Basically, it's just me playing the guitar riffs along with the backing tracks and then trying to emulate Tom Morello's guitar skratching with vinyl via a single scrape captured in LiveFeed.

Pardon me already for the subpar skratching since I didn't really have time to practice and submit this video on time. I probably will spend more time practicing soon.

The audio quality is sloppy too since there's not much time to set up speakers and my guitar rig and mix the sounds properly. But anyways, hopefully you get the message.

It is a very difficult but rocking routine if ever I could pull it off perfectly. So practice practice and more pratice for me. REMEMBER where you saw this this first.

Exclusively,
iNBiTuiN
Nser Uame 10:44 AM - 1 June, 2009
hey guys, couldn't get an entry in time but thought id share (one of) my ideas.

basically, using the white noise from a tv or radio plus a delay and echo for some edm style wooshing effects.. never got around to trying it. couldnt find the cables :P
ral 12:52 PM - 1 June, 2009
Quote:
fr DJBIGWIZ ... you can feed the i-pod into SL with Live Feed and control the speed/pitch to "mix" it and still have use of cue points, loops, and loop rolls all in real time while the i-pod is playing the track. Watchwww.youtube.com

i havent tried feeding from ipod, but i just noticed in your vid, when you started recording, <b>the bpm is already assigned to the track even before it drops to the 1st beat in the recording</b> (normally you will get auto bpm after you analyze files) (1:28) ??? movie magic? of course you can autoloop/autolooproll when theres a bpm value already assigned. hmmmmmm
ral 12:53 PM - 1 June, 2009
^^ bold fail. lemme try again

Quote:
fr DJBIGWIZ ... you can feed the i-pod into SL with Live Feed and control the speed/pitch to "mix" it and still have use of cue points, loops, and loop rolls all in real time while the i-pod is playing the track. Watchwww.youtube.com

i havent tried feeding from ipod, but i just noticed in your vid, when you started recording, [bold]the bpm is already assigned to the track even before it drops to the 1st beat in the recording[/bold] (normally you will get auto bpm after you analyze files) (1:28) ??? movie magic? of course you can autoloop/autolooproll when theres a bpm value already assigned. hmmmmmm
ral 12:54 PM - 1 June, 2009
Quote:
^^ 2x bold fail. lemme try again, damn.

Quote:

i havent tried feeding from ipod, but i just noticed in your vid, when you started recording, the bpm is already assigned to the track even before it drops to the 1st beat in the recording (normally you will get auto bpm after you analyze files) (1:28) ??? movie magic? of course you can autoloop/autolooproll when theres a bpm value already assigned. hmmmmmm
ral 1:04 PM - 1 June, 2009
^^ got the bold, but quote fail! lol.
DJBIGWIZ 2:08 PM - 1 June, 2009
Quote:

i havent tried feeding from ipod, but i just noticed in your vid, when you started recording, [bold]the bpm is already assigned to the track even before it drops to the 1st beat in the recording[/bold] (normally you will get auto bpm after you analyze files) (1:28) ??? movie magic? of course you can autoloop/autolooproll when theres a bpm value already assigned. hmmmmmm

WOW... really? You are trying REALLY hard to prove what? Movie magic? Hardly... when I was setting up and figuring out what I was gonna do, I magically pressed the BPM area and tapped in the BPM of the track... once I found a track I liked, I started recording... WOW now YOU know how to do MAGIC

Now, just so you are not TOTALLY baffled by Dub Cowboy's video (that is if you watch as intently to find some sort of trickery as you seem to have done mine) and think he is some sort of witch, the reason he MAGICALLY had a video attached to his Live Feed track as soon as he loaded it is because he attached it to the live feed track beforehand.

I really didn't think I would have to explain EVERY single little thing. I also didn't tell how I unlocked my iPod and which button I pressed to make it play. OH... did you notice how I did not have to turn any of the equipment on!!! WOAH... magic? hmmmmmmm

Quote:
^^ got the bold, but quote fail! lol.

^^ got the bold try really hard to passive aggressively discredit me fail!

if there is any MAGIC involved in what I do, it's the magic of practicing and understanding the product.

I'm on this forum trying to HELP people as much as I can so you need to check yourself on what you are trying really hard to imply here. Knowing how to set the BPM of a track in SSL is not a power user feature.... it's a basic understanding of the product... if you are unaware of this, maybe you should study the product manual as intently as you did my video and then you wouldn't have to publicly expose your lack of understanding in a weak attempt you throw dirt on me.
ral 2:14 PM - 1 June, 2009
no offense intended. im amazed at your vids dont get me wrong. im just asking 1 question and i'll try your explanation later and educate myself. thx
DJBIGWIZ 2:27 PM - 1 June, 2009
ok.. no problem. You're post and the fact you felt the need to post it over and over 'till you got it just right comes off like you're trying to discredit me.... and a little annoying.

Next time have a question, just simply ask me "hey, I noticed -----. How'd you do that?"
and drop the sarcasm and negative implications. Maybe you didn't intend it that way but I asked a few people before I responded and that's how we all read it... it doesn't come off as you're just curious and looking for an answer.
If that's not the case, then we're cool... we have no problem here.
Get at me if you have any questions or I can help you out in the future.
SiRocket 2:30 PM - 1 June, 2009
big wiz nice video! dumb question, i noticed that the status windows (sampler, hardware) are popping up when you are using a function from it (like when you hit a sample trigger, the sample window pops up)... i sound like a newb but is there a setting for this? ;)
DJBIGWIZ 2:37 PM - 1 June, 2009
I set the "sample player" tab/button to a pad on the midi controller so I can open it when I want to use it and close it when I'm done... not that it's necessary to open it to play a sample.
ral 2:39 PM - 1 June, 2009
actually, i tried manually setting that bpm value in my vid (0.38 sec) (failed too coz i tapped it 2x, i should tapped it 3 or more i guess) to sync the echo delay 1/1 to my scratch sample.

the point is, before recording my vid, i tried to tapped my beatbox (beat) to have a bpm value, which i did, but can't seem to work with autoloop/autoroll even theres a manual bpm value. i might check on this again, feeding fr ipod maybe and see what am i missin.
SiRocket 2:46 PM - 1 June, 2009
ahh!!! :) thanks wiz, learn something new everyday, just realized you can assign midi to those... awesome!
DJBIGWIZ 2:50 PM - 1 June, 2009
Quote:
ahh!!! :) thanks wiz, learn something new everyday, just realized you can assign midi to those... awesome!
no prob... yea, you can set midi to a lot of things in SSL

Quote:
actually, i tried manually setting that bpm value in my vid (0.38 sec) (failed too coz i tapped it 2x, i should tapped it 3 or more i guess) to sync the echo delay 1/1 to my scratch sample.

the point is, before recording my vid, i tried to tapped my beatbox (beat) to have a bpm value, which i did, but can't seem to work with autoloop/autoroll even theres a manual bpm value. i might check on this again, feeding fr ipod maybe and see what am i missin.

I gotta run soon but if you can't get it figured out, let me know and I'll try to help you figure out what's wrong later. After you tap in the bpm (I usually tap 4-8 times just to get it as exact as possible) you have to hit the enter button on your computer to lock it in
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:41 PM - 1 June, 2009
the tension got so thick you could cut it with a Ranesaw
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 10:33 PM - 1 June, 2009
So here we are, back again...

**Competition closed**

Thanks to all that entered! Here is the list of entries below:

djmallon: Watchwww.youtube.com

ral: www.stickam.com

DJ Dub Cowboy entry 1: Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Dub Cowboy entry 2: Watchwww.youtube.com

DJ Corleone508: Watchwww.youtube.com

Kool DJ Sheak One: Watchwww.youtube.com

Sol*Los: Watchwww.youtube.com

BruceBlaQ: Watchwww.youtube.com

DJBIGWIZ: Watchwww.youtube.com

djvoltron: Watchwww.vimeo.com

djjoefresh: Watchwww.vimeo.com

simonak: Watchwww.youtube.com

iNBiTuiN: www.facebook.com

We will be going through these today and will try and pick a winner before the end of the day. Stay Tuned!
nik39 10:41 PM - 1 June, 2009
Quote:

Could you [Serato] do a second round once you get the bugs out and some improvements added to livefeed?

I would like to see...

1. the ability to instant double live feeds
2. consistent cue points on live feeds
3. drag livefeeds to the sample player
4. a larger buffer than one minute

I hade some ideas but... ran into some of the issues I have mentioned. :-/
nik39 10:42 PM - 1 June, 2009
Oh and props to all those who still made something cool out of what livefeed can do right now :)
simonak 10:51 PM - 1 June, 2009
Quote:

Lol yea seemed a bit crazy for crossed wires over a bpm track
Best of luck everyone-my mate just got herself a 5 liter V8 chevy-i'd love to mic that beast up and scratch it over a nice break!
simonak 10:59 PM - 1 June, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Could you [Serato] do a second round once you get the bugs out and some improvements added to livefeed?

I would like to see...

1. the ability to instant double live feeds
2. consistent cue points on live feeds
3. drag livefeeds to the sample player
4. a larger buffer than one minute

I hade some ideas but... ran into some of the issues I have mentioned. :-/

+1 on that! Being able to drag the buffers worth to sample player or save it like a recording..
The wave forms don't seem to work-that noisy saw hardley made a ripple
I put both livefeed tracks into a crate and next time i open up its empty,meaning back to search so its 12 key strokes to get it loaded via search
Sometimes it just does not work at all!not recording,white play head jumping from left to right of grey area
Phantom cue points from previous load...
As i said however its a serious step in the right direction-good stuff serato
FunkyRob 11:58 PM - 1 June, 2009
Serato Chainsaw Massacre would be been even cooler if he started hacking away at his gear.
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:03 AM - 2 June, 2009
big up to all the DJs that entered. It's an honor to be amongst you all. Great ideas and amazing talent from everybody that entered. Best of luck and thanks to the Serato family for putting on this competition and supplying us with an amazing product.

Massive Respect!
simonak 12:47 AM - 2 June, 2009
Quote:
Serato Chainsaw Massacre would be been even cooler if he started hacking away at his gear.

Did not want to damage the chain
simonak 12:48 AM - 2 June, 2009
Quote:
big up to all the DJs that entered. It's an honor to be amongst you all. Great ideas and amazing talent from everybody that entered. Best of luck and thanks to the Serato family for putting on this competition and supplying us with an amazing product.

Massive Respect!

+1
djjoefresh 1:24 AM - 2 June, 2009
Quote:

Massive Respect!

Couldn't have put it better myself. Good luck to everyone!
Dj Corleone508 4:06 AM - 2 June, 2009
best of luck to all the entries I think we all deserve to get broken off a piece of a prize. There wasn't one entry that i thought wasn't as creative as the next. to iNBiTuiN that was dope and I think Tom M would be stoked to see that
DJBIGWIZ 5:41 AM - 2 June, 2009
Quote:

hahahaha

Quote:
Quote:

Did not want to damage the chain

haha.. nice

again... props to everybody who submitted something
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:04 AM - 2 June, 2009
6pm New Zealand time as I type...

these folks had lots of sugar this morning, so they may be working overtime tonight

twitter.com
ral 11:01 AM - 2 June, 2009
yep - props to everyone who step up!
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:47 PM - 2 June, 2009
my wife is getting real antsy to find out the results here. She usually encourages me not to spend time with my yellow and gray mistress, but she is right here with me buggin' out.

like a three-way

She's about ready to start her own account.
Sol*los 5:26 PM - 2 June, 2009
I cant believe how many times I’ve refreshed this page.
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:34 PM - 2 June, 2009
if you are on serato.com it will automatically refresh.

I made the switch o serato.com. They really have done a great job so far. I still check scratchlive.net from time to time just for kicks. Looking forward to when they switch the code.
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:51 PM - 2 June, 2009
I've been watching New Zealand time here:
serato.com
Sol*los 6:22 PM - 2 June, 2009
Quote:
if you are on serato.com it will automatically refresh.

I made the switch o serato.com. They really have done a great job so far. I still check scratchlive.net from time to time just for kicks. Looking forward to when they switch the code.

cool, I'm going to have to peep it out.
Sol*los 6:24 PM - 2 June, 2009
Quote:
serato.com

your'll going to be on there time soon watching non stop for the last day or so and be a day and a half early to gigs.
iNBiTuiN 6:25 PM - 2 June, 2009
Agh! The waiting game is even tougher than the competition itself.

Anyways, great job everyone!

I've been thinking of more ways of incorporating the feature. I think it would work really well with like a call and response routine with the "call being the live feed" and the "response being the fx and manipulation". There could be some interesting routines if planned well.

Good luck everyone! May the best routine win. I wanna win, I expect to win... Who doesn't? right?

iNBiTuiN
aMillionOtherDJs/Spintronix/Thud Rumble
DJBIGWIZ 6:35 PM - 2 June, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
serato.com

your'll going to be on there time soon watching non stop for the last day or so and be a day and a half early to gigs.

lol
simonak 7:04 PM - 2 June, 2009
Quote:
my yellow and gray mistress,

Lmfao
Mobile internet..no results,i'll go back to waitin in the sun
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:05 PM - 2 June, 2009
tweet me when something happens
simonak 8:41 PM - 2 June, 2009
sun setting in ireland,good morning new zealand
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 9:39 PM - 2 June, 2009
Morning everybody!

First of all, thanks to all of you who entered - the competition ended up being very close, and it was hard to pick a winner!

Lets get into it....

The winner is: Kool DJ Sheak One
Really interesting live performance - used various sources of audio, used cue points, fx etc... Nice work!

Congratulations, you win these Serato Pressings:

2X SP-001 Diplo - Blaqstarr - Get Off

2X SP-002 The Qemists - Dem Na Like Me

2X SP-701 Mr.Clean - What’s Going On 7"

Plus:
2X Orange control vinyl, and a pair of Slipmats

Runner up: Simonak
Interesting signal routing and processing, but more importantly, you fired up a chainsaw in your lounge.... ha!

You win:
2X SP-002 The Qemists - Dem Na Like Me
2X Orange control vinyl
Scratch Live slip mats

Also, I can't not mention this:

Best tutorial Video: Big Wiz - we need to step our own game up now!

But....seeing as the competition was so close, (i'm not just saying that - there was a lot of great stuff!)We are feeling generous, and so everyone who entered is also going to win two copies of the new Serato pressing; The Qemists - Dem Na Like Me.

Congrats guys!
Kool DJ Sheak One 9:43 PM - 2 June, 2009
Dope,
Thanks guys.
This is just the beginning for me.
Looking forward to making this the best new feature for ScratchLive.
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:44 PM - 2 June, 2009
Yes. Thank you and congrats to the winners.
nik39 9:44 PM - 2 June, 2009
Congrats man :))) And you were right...

Quote:

Haha :)
iNBiTuiN 9:53 PM - 2 June, 2009
Wow! Congrats to Kool DJ Sheak One! You deserved it for all the effort put into it to create a monster jam sesh.

Again, thanks to Serato for a great product and for giving us an opportunity to show off some ideas.

'til next time!

iNBiTuiN
aMillionOtherDJs/Spintronix/Thud Rumble
Serato
dave 10:05 PM - 2 June, 2009
Quote:
Runner up: Simonak
Interesting signal routing and processing, but more importantly, you fired up a chainsaw in your lounge.... ha!

Too funny! I love how the category of your video is "Comedy" on youtube..
Serato
dave 10:05 PM - 2 June, 2009
And congrats Kool Sheak
DJBIGWIZ 10:16 PM - 2 June, 2009
Congrats Sheak, Simonak and props again to everyone who entered!

can't forget.... BIG THANKS to Serato for the great product!
AKIEM 10:29 PM - 2 June, 2009
sweet
Billy18bm 10:31 PM - 2 June, 2009
wow.. not even whites...
ral 10:33 PM - 2 June, 2009
congrats sheak! simonak! bigwiz!

thx serato team!
DJ TOGTFO 10:36 PM - 2 June, 2009
yo sheak, lemme get those orange C.Vs
latindj 10:40 PM - 2 June, 2009
Dave, are those orange vinyls the limited editions signed by Sixxx?
DJBIGWIZ 10:46 PM - 2 June, 2009
Quote:
Dave, are those orange vinyls the limited editions signed by Sixxx?

VINYLS!?
Damn, I though the limited edition Sixxx signature oranges were just ACTUAL oranges!
Sol*los 12:08 AM - 3 June, 2009
congrats to all!!!!
djmallon 12:10 AM - 3 June, 2009
Big ups to everyone! Thanks to Serato for the opportunity!
djjoefresh 2:14 AM - 3 June, 2009
Congrats to the winners and to everyone that entered, and big thanks to the Serato team. Let us know if you have another contest, you'll definitely see an entry from me!
Kool DJ Sheak One 2:15 AM - 3 June, 2009
Thanks for all the kind words fellas.
If anybody wants me to run through what I did setup-wise, I can post that.

Oranges are cool, but where are those Banana Yellows?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 2:18 AM - 3 June, 2009
Quote:
If anybody wants me to run through what I did setup-wise, I can post that.

that would be cool - go on show us!
Kool DJ Sheak One 2:19 AM - 3 June, 2009
quote fail, haha

sure Nick
djdragon 2:19 AM - 3 June, 2009
What rip off! I was expecting a better prize pack teeam Serato, like umm Woolen CV covers! LOL

Congrats to the winners awesome job guys.
Oh and the orange CV's are dope www.djdragon.ca , they are like creamsicles for your decks.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 2:20 AM - 3 June, 2009
Quote:
quote fail, haha

sure Nick

I have an edit button :P
Kool DJ Sheak One 2:21 AM - 3 June, 2009
Wow, Dragon got the exclusive pen!
(I wonder what those marble greys look like?)
djjoefresh 2:23 AM - 3 June, 2009
Whoa, where did you get all that stuff Dragon?
Kool DJ Sheak One 2:37 AM - 3 June, 2009
Setup:

RodeNT Mic to the Tablas in the booth.
Connected to Mic Pre In soundcard to Mac.
Mac soundcard (with live sequencing) Out to Aux in of the TTM57SL.
Another Mic plugged into the Mic in of the TTM57SL.
The Livefeed was set to Mix so I could stream all incoming signals.
Booth out of TTM57SL to Into my soundcard to capture audio.
Camcorder plugged in via firewire to Mac tower to sync with audio and be recorded together.

This is just one basic setup. I am currently trying a newer setup which will make things even more interesting. Stay tuned!
djdragon 3:17 AM - 3 June, 2009
Quote:
Wow, Dragon got the exclusive pen!

A pen is your friend, also there is a LED flashlight with a swivel magnetic base.

Quote:
Whoa, where did you get all that stuff Dragon?

If you have a positive attitude and support DJ community good things happen.

Little things like this contest and forum MODS actually caring about the little guys is what makes Serato a great company, plus good product support.
Then you wonder why they are the industry 'standard'.
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:20 AM - 3 June, 2009
I finally had to go deal with my anticipation at the gym, but I want to send out congratulations to Sheak and Simonak. Cool stuff.

I will be using LIVE FEED as often as I can from here on out.

Thanks again to Serato for sending wax to all the entries. I bought the SP-02s as quick as I could but I have been known to give sets of CVs to my friends and co-workers from time to time. My first set of Reds came as an unexpected gift when I bought my 57 and since then, I became a junkie. Its like crack....

picasaweb.google.com
djdragon 4:51 AM - 3 June, 2009
Quote:
My first set of Reds came as an unexpected gift when I bought my 57 and since then, I became a junkie. Its like crack....

picasaweb.google.com

You my friend have a problem.
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:10 AM - 3 June, 2009
ha haaaa

I'm not going to deny it!
djmallon 5:17 AM - 3 June, 2009
If you feel like you have too many whites, I can help you with relieving the pressure (no misquote).
djdragon 5:25 AM - 3 June, 2009
Quote:
I can help you with relieving the pressure (no misquote).

HAHAHA!
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:45 AM - 3 June, 2009
wish they were whites...

clears on white slipmat
simonak 12:25 PM - 3 June, 2009
....i just want to thank my mother and father for having me ...hat of to sheak one for takin pole position...respect to serato/rane for makin such a fantastic instrument... I also wanna thank my manager for believing in me and big thanks to everyone who helped getting me here today..you know who you are
All my control records are caked in beer which turns into balls of gunk on my needeles-very happy to be gettin new ones,and i've no idea who or what the qemists are but bring it on-and i promise to only use the matts on special occasions like solstice partys and my wedding:)
Nice one woop woop
DeezNotes 12:26 PM - 3 June, 2009
Props to everyone. Nice work. I like the iPod idea Wiz.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:20 PM - 3 June, 2009
Quote:

Wiz, question, on the ipod idea i noticed you were only getting 1 channel (SL1 im guessing since its a mono input) when that output goes to your mixer wont it stay in one channel there as well? Just trying to figure out the practicality while using with an SL1
DJBIGWIZ 5:08 PM - 3 June, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Wiz, question, on the ipod idea i noticed you were only getting 1 channel (SL1 im guessing since its a mono input) when that output goes to your mixer wont it stay in one channel there as well? Just trying to figure out the practicality while using with an SL1

Whoa.. good call. haha, I didn't even notice that.
It's a stereo input and output, I guess one of the connections was loose... I had to hook it up real quick and make sure something wasn't broken... i have a protective cover on my iPod and the connector slips out pretty easily... maybe it was a little loose.
With the SL-1 you'd just have to play around and experiment a bit to find the best way.
You could use a stereo DI box or something like this which DJ Dagon posted earlier in this thread.
www.radialeng.com
BruceBlaQ 7:38 PM - 6 June, 2009
word...it was definitely fun...congrats...yeah I'm late checking the feed:)
simonak 12:36 PM - 12 June, 2009
hey serato team-my parcel arrived-thank you so much-the orange control records look like spinnning orange juice pulp-the slip matts are most slippy-and the heavey single with control tone b side is the sickest thing ever-and im very happy to see your also pressing ninja tune artists-r e s p e c t
thanks guys and im looking forward to the next comp:)
Dj Koppa Top 5:14 PM - 22 June, 2009
Quote:
hey serato team-my parcel arrived-thank you so much-the orange control records look like spinnning orange juice pulp-the slip matts are most slippy-and the heavey single with control tone b side is the sickest thing ever-and im very happy to see your also pressing ninja tune artists-r e s p e c t
thanks guys and im looking forward to the next comp:)

where the pics dude .........proper forum etiquette.....come on drrrrrrrrr...
Kool DJ Sheak One 5:04 PM - 23 June, 2009
Where are my manners?

i110.photobucket.com

Thanks again Serato team.
DeezNotes 5:37 PM - 23 June, 2009
That's onehelluva prize pack
djmallon 1:28 AM - 24 June, 2009
Here's my goodness:

twitpic.com
DeezNotes 1:44 AM - 24 June, 2009
Quote:
Here's my goodness:

twitpic.com

I have that Microsoft keyboard. I hate it. lol
djmallon 3:46 PM - 24 June, 2009
I'm not a fan of it either...though its sadly one of the better keyboards we have here at work. the worst is this clunker of an IBM keyboard that's still stiff as hell after all these years.
djmel 12:11 AM - 8 July, 2009
Quote:
sorry Nick, it just bothers me when people ASK for help and you offer them help (when you could be spending your time doing something else other than trying to help someone you owe nothing to) and they turn around and start talking shit instead of being appreciative of the fact that someone is listening to them and trying to offer them help that they ASKED for. I'll try to play nice again. :)

hammer dont hurt em
DJBIGWIZ 4:50 AM - 8 July, 2009
hahaha... what up Mel
djmel 12:15 AM - 12 July, 2009
yoooo whats crackin wiz! hahah, things been some what on the up for me. ( i still dj of course. but im gettin booked alot more now...way more ) im still hold the 8 hour job thing and still hit the gym when i can...and i come here when i can to try and help out people with sl1 or sl3 issues ( mainly people that amd processors on there laptops ) what s poppin on ur end sir? when u comin back to my way bmore/dc..
BigDookie 5:54 AM - 13 July, 2009
livefeed = wackest serato feature. what practical use does this have? when would a dj ever REALLY use this?

congrats to the winner and everyone who participated, but i would hope someone wouldnt pay you guys to debacle live.
BigDookie 5:55 AM - 13 July, 2009
to perform that debacle live*
Kool DJ Sheak One 1:15 PM - 13 July, 2009
People usually fear and hate that which they do not understand.
And since you do not even own scratchlive, this feature is over your head.
Hopefully, you don't get paid to perform what ever dookies you do live as well.
simonak 3:38 PM - 13 July, 2009
Quote:
what practical use does this have?.

head outta the sand man....you can have any feed of audio live on a tt! voice/instrument/animal noise/ phone or ipod/bodly function

there may not be many practical examples of its use because its so groundbreakingly new-but this is wheres its going
BigDookie 4:38 PM - 13 July, 2009
Quote:
People usually fear and hate that which they do not understand.
And since you do not even own scratchlive, this feature is over your head.
Hopefully, you don't get paid to perform what ever dookies you do live as well.

lets not be silly. i've had scratch live for about 3 years now. i've used the "mic feed" feature or whatever it was called previously only once. i found it WAY more practical to use my damn dj booth to get better vocals and lace it on whatever beat I wanted to using my studio setup.

and sheek... just cuz something is CREATIVE doesnt make it GOOD. what you did was "different" but it was off beat at times (which is understandable) and not entertaining at all. constant appregios (however you spell it)

Quote:
Quote:
what practical use does this have?.

head outta the sand man....you can have any feed of audio live on a tt! voice/instrument/animal noise/ phone or ipod/bodly function
oh wow... i can scratch a FART

there may not be many practical examples of its use because its so groundbreakingly new-but this is wheres its going

so you refute my position, and then you agree.

listen fellas, I LOVE SCARTCH LIVE AS MUCH AS YOU ALL DO. i use scratch live every fri & sat @ my residency. i enjoy every feature it has to offer. I occasiionally dabble in auto-loops and other features of serato... but giving credence to a plane-jane, dull feature is silly. even the serato guy who posted the first vid knew there isnt much he could do with it.

this competition smells to me of "hey, we put this feature in and don't really know why. lets have our loyal fans show us if they really use it and how." the answer back was a resounding NO by the lameness of the responses.
DJBIGWIZ 8:08 PM - 13 July, 2009
hmmm.. ok, let's think OUT SIDE the box for a min... we all know Serarto and Ableton are working on some sort of joint venture.... maybe live feed will be a way to stream your "Live" tracks into SSL in real time and have the ability to scratch and mix them. Now... you don't see that as being practicle or somethinf someone would REALLY use often?
For DJ/Producers and Artist/DJ/Performers to be able to build a track and every step of the way being able to have total vinyl/turntable control over that track WHILE it's being created is BIG!

You have to think a little bit bigger man... this thing has a lot of potential if you can see it. If not, sit back and let the creative cats pioneer it and you can benifit from our creativity down the line when we work it all out for you.
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:18 PM - 13 July, 2009
well said Wiz,

BigDookie, you're spending way too much time hating here.

The feature will come along. I saw this competition as a way to connect with the company that makes this product I use to make a living. I appreciate what they do and I am constantly amazed by their innovation. I never said I wanted to spin a video on a turntable, or record my voice and scratch it instantly but I can and I do. They can't test everything so we got to help.

In the end, they hooked up everybody that even attempted the competition with something that I consider valuable. That is just one of the many reasons why I continue to support Rane and Serato. It is my hope that they gained some valuable knowledge from this competition.

I also gained a huge amount of respect for all the other contestants. There are ton of people browsing here, but the 12 or so that entered got my attention and respect. If any of you guys were to knock on my door a friend would answer.

Big Up Rane
Big Up Serato
Big Up Live Feed Contestants
Big Up to the haters
BigDookie 8:30 PM - 13 July, 2009
why does it always have to be "hate" when someone doesn't agree with the status quo? why cant we just have a difference of opinion?

djwiz... i can see a future connection with albeton, but in its current stage, and gauging from the competitions response vs how many serato users are on this forum, it's pretty obvious to see that this feature isnt used too often.

raise the stakes to a ttm57 or the sl3 (as opposed to a vinyl pack) and i promise you the same results.
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:06 PM - 13 July, 2009
Quote:
livefeed = wackest serato feature

there is probably a better way of putting this to make your self sound like you are giving constructive feedback rather than talking shit

it's all good though. I agree that the feature needs work, and that most of our entries were sloppy, but we all have to start somewhere.

On that note, can you think of way to improve the feature or do think it should be dropped from development?
DJBIGWIZ 9:25 PM - 13 July, 2009
if a feature doesn't hurt or himder the product, there is no need for it to be dropped... if someone doesn't find it useful, they don't have to use it. The people who like it can do their thing. There are a lot of features I will hardly ever (if ever) use... but I see how they can be of use to others and it would be crazy of me to say... I don't like it so get rid of it. Too many people think for just them selfs and don't look at the bigger picture.

If you like it, use it.. if you don't like it, don't use it... it's really that simple.
If you can't see a use for it, sit back and let other people inovate then if they come up with something useful, you can jump on board then.

Dook, you are more than welcome to your opinion but like Cowboy said, if you come in here with out anything good or constructive to say or add.... it looks like you are just here to hate or be negitive... if all you have to offer is "this is whack and nobody will ever use this"... how does that help or add to the development or advancement of anything? This feature doesn't make everything you like about SSL cease to work so use what you use man. Live feed aint stoppin you from doing your thing so why come in here dissin with out anything really to offer besides negitivity?

This feature is in the baby stage right now... nothing like this has ever existed... so of course it's gonna take a while for some cats to get creative and make it something more useful.... do you scratch or even mix? How long did turntables exist before scratchubg was invented and people started mixing songs together? This thing is big! They give us the tools to be creative with... it's up to us to create!
DJBIGWIZ 9:26 PM - 13 July, 2009
hahaha that was "hinder" not himder hahaha
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:27 PM - 13 July, 2009
i gotta start scratchubg, that sounds like the real next level ish right there...

;-)
DJBIGWIZ 10:21 PM - 13 July, 2009
hahahaha... SHUT UP!

haha you know what I mean damnit....

can we get a proof read feature for the forum?
BigDookie 2:12 AM - 14 July, 2009
just because i cant add anything positive doesn't mean i should not offer an honest opinion (even if it is considered negative). just because something is "new" doesnt mean its "groundbreaking." and like ive said, there are PLENTY serato features i DO NOT USE (auto loop, sample player, midi, etc) but I can see someone else using it to the max. unfortunatly this is one feature I think serato added and just wants to see where it can go, and they used this competition to gauge it. honestly, I WANTED TO BE IMPRESSED, cuz i've always been like WTF?
BigDookie 2:13 AM - 14 July, 2009
like WTF is this feature. BUT im sorry if i seem overly negative. hopefully in the future i get my mind blown. keep up the good work tho rane. im a fan and will prolly get a sl3 by september (even though i really dont need it).
Kool DJ Sheak One 4:12 AM - 14 July, 2009
Quote:

lets not be silly. i've had scratch live for about 3 years now. i've used the "mic feed" feature or whatever it was called previously only once. i found it WAY more practical to use my damn dj booth to get better vocals and lace it on whatever beat I wanted to using my studio setup.

that makes no sense whatsoever

Quote:

hey, we put this feature in and don't really know why. lets have our loyal fans show us if they really use it and how." the answer back was a resounding NO by the lameness of the responses.

I'm sick of sucker Djs talking all kinds of shit about other people, and they don't contribute shit themselves.

I'ts takes a weak man to sit back and judge others.
It takes balls to put up a video for every body else to see, even if it isn't perfect.

Quote:

and sheek... just cuz something is CREATIVE doesnt make it GOOD. what you did was "different" but it was off beat at times (which is understandable) and not entertaining at all. constant appregios (however you spell it)

You don't get it. And that's fine. This feature is too deep for people who don't like to push boundries. Don't use it, like Wiz said.

Off beat? Let's hear some on beat shit Mr. Metronome.

All that shit was played live by real people, not by CDJs who are buying SL3s in September that don't really need them.

Let me and the others do shit that has never been done before, and break new ground.

You stay in your safe little bubble Dookie
BigDookie 12:20 PM - 14 July, 2009
sir, yes sir!

is mr metronome supposed to be an insult? try harder
is calling me a cdj an insult? try harder (im surprised you didnt call me a microwave)
pointing out i'm buying a sl3 when i prolly dont need it an insult? try harder
your whole LIVE FEED set? try harder

how bout you relax and "feel the cool breeze."
Kool DJ Sheak One 3:57 PM - 14 July, 2009
I tried hard enough because I won.

You try really hard to be an asshole, and you succeeded, congratulations.
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:02 PM - 14 July, 2009
Hater - (from urban dictionary)

A person who feels anger and/or jealousy for someone who has succeeded in something they have worked hard for.
A being who speaks badly,and/or takes negative actions in attempt to create problems for a successful person.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 8:38 PM - 14 July, 2009
Ok, so the competition is over, and I don't think this thread is going anywhere useful.
Different features appeal to different people. If you don't want to use a feature, don't. Its as easy as that.

Thanks to all that entered! Congrats!
8:39 PM, 14 Jul 2009
Discussion locked by Nick M