Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

My review of the new 57...mixer is great, SDJ needs a lot of work.

DJ Michael Basic 10:57 AM - 9 May, 2015
Here's my TTM57 MKII review after a night of DJing with it. Note that up to this point, I mostly dj with SSL and an OG ttm57, however, once a week I have a lounge gig where I use a controller (pioneer ddj-sr) and serato DJ, so I'm familiar with SDJ with a controller, however tonight was my first time using it with vinyl.

Light up buttons are awesome! No more putting your finger on the outermost button and walking your way to the one you want. You can see which one you're about to hit even with your finger over it because of the size of the buttons. They feel sturdy as well.

Meters are in the red with gains at 12o'clock and autogain at 94db. Not just hitting the red, pegged in the red. Sound seems fine, so not sure why the meters are so sensitive. I use SSL with 94db autogain and don't get close to the red with gains at 12.

The non programmable joystick thing sucks. Since I DJ with 1 turntable, I instant double every song and I have years of muscle memory built up where if I want to double the song to the left, I push the joystick to the left…now to send a song to the left I have to push the joystick to the right? Weird. If I accidentally push it to the left it switches to relative mode which cuts the music…bad. It didn't happen during my set but having that worry in the back of your mind all night sucks.

The crossfader reverse button SUCKS! It's right in the middle of the mixer and sticks up. I hit it accidentally within 20 minutes of my set which cut the music. Luckily it glows bright green when its on so the music was only off for half a bar. This can also be fixed by making its function user definable.

There doesn't seem to be a way to turn saved loops on and off from the mixer. If there is it isn't intuitive. On a controller you hold shift and hit the loop button and it turns your preset loops on but that combo does nothing here. I have to turn my loops on with the mouse. Hitting the loop button by itself works fine to activate loops on the fly, but for my saved loops, I couldn't get the mixer to toggle them on and off.

All of this is trumped by a major issue that Serato Support says is a known bug and is only happening with OSX 10.8 with the ttm57mkII at a buffer setting of 2 or lower, however, it happened to me at buffer settings 5 and 10 as well (I am running 10.8.) For more info on this, see this thread: serato.com

I had my buffer on 5 tonight to try and avoid this issue, but after 20 minutes of playing, the music got a little crackly. 30 seconds later it was pretty bad, so I plugged an aux cable into the headphone jack and played usher yeah through itunes. The session (aux) input isn't routed through the software so it played fine. While yeah was playing, I closed and re-opened serato DJ and got back to DJing without the crowd noticing what happened. 20 minutes later, same thing. This happened 3 times at 20 minute intervals, and on the 3rd time, I upped the buffer to 10. 40 minutes later, to the minute, same issue. Doubling the buffer doubled the time I could play for before it happened, but clearly, something very specific is happening. I have an email open with serato support so Ill email all this to them tomorrow and go from there.

The verdict:

The mixer is awesome, but serato DJ sucks still. All these issues can and i'm sure will be fixed with software updates. Until then, I'll probably go back to my old 57 and SSL.

Midi Mapping will solve most of the issues, the joystick, the reverse button, looping, etc. should be map-able. The meter settings can probably be adjusted via firmware, and the bug is a known issue so I'm sure they'll address it ASAP.
 6 1:26 PM - 9 May, 2015
I wouldn't necessarily say Serato DJ sucks but it does suck on this mixer with the OS version you're on.

I'm on Yosemite and didn't have issues with the bug you're talking about (obviously)

I also agree with all your other stuff. The buttons feel great. HATE all those big ass buttons for the reverse buttons - definitely an accident waiting to happen hitting them.

The instant double thing was the second thing I picked up after playing. I did the same thing (muscle memory) and just common sense. Why would left be right and right be left?

I have my files at 92 so the LED metered on the red issue was something I didn't notice.

nm
Puggy 7:07 PM - 9 May, 2015
Quote:
I had my buffer on 5 tonight to try and avoid this issue, but after 20 minutes of playing, the music got a little crackly. 30 seconds later it was pretty bad, so I plugged an aux cable into the headphone jack and played usher yeah through itunes.

LMAOOOOO
AKIEM 9:18 PM - 9 May, 2015
Quote:

The non programmable joystick thing sucks. Since I DJ with 1 turntable, I instant double every song and I have years of muscle memory built up where if I want to double the song to the left, I push the joystick to the left…now to send a song to the left I have to push the joystick to the right? Weird. If I accidentally push it to the left it switches to relative mode which cuts the music…bad. It didn't happen during my set but having that worry in the back of your mind all night sucks.

This is precisely why I will not buy this mixer unless fixed. I DJ the same way, instant doubles assigned to down on each joystick. I know for a fact I would hit the wrong button after years of muscle memory.

Quote:

The crossfader reverse button SUCKS! It's right in the middle of the mixer and sticks up. I hit it accidentally within 20 minutes of my set which cut the music. Luckily it glows bright green when its on so the music was only off for half a bar. This can also be fixed by making its function user definable.

This is one thing I hate about Rane mixers. That area is 'prime performance' area, those buttons are 'settings' functions. Couple weeks ago I was playing on a 62 - boom hit the reverse channel button... I really dont understand why those arnt on the front panel or even up top somewhere, anywhere but that prime space

Thats the first modification I will do if possible - shave the buttons down so they sit below the face panel - at least then they will be harder to hit by accident.
DJ Tecniq 1:16 AM - 10 May, 2015
It's a shame ppl have to backtrack but at least it's a good thing scratchlive is still available when this happens.
musiclee 1:16 PM - 10 May, 2015
SSL forever...
At least till they "fix" SDJ and add everything SSL had
Support for my HC-4500
raedonquan 1:43 PM - 10 May, 2015
Quote:
It's a shame ppl have to backtrack but at least it's a good thing scratchlive is still available when this happens.

so i sold my old 57 for the new 57mk2 how do i use scratchlive

you cant

an sl box with the 57mk2 that kinda kills the point....
musiclee 3:07 PM - 10 May, 2015
The newset version of SDJ 1.7.5 supports mk2
nik39 1:25 AM - 13 May, 2015
Quote:
if I want to double the song to the left, I push the joystick to the left…now to send a song to the left I have to push the joystick to the right? Weird.

+1, doesn't make any sense for me either.
AKIEM 1:55 AM - 13 May, 2015
There must be *a dj who configures their mixer this way. They should have made a signature series for that *one dj....
AddamXavier 3:06 AM - 13 May, 2015
If I'm reading the layout right (looking on the Rane website/never having played on a 57 before), each joystick corresponds to a deck right? So if I'm on the left deck and and want to instant double to the right deck, I push the left joystick to the right (on the 57mkII), correct?

Just looking at it with fresh eyes, this behavior makes sense, I'm sending the track "to the right".

BUT, being a programmer, I know well about screwing with layouts and directly changing previous behaviors (going left instead of right, tapping instead of holding, etc.) without a way of doing it the old way is just asking for headaches all around.

Stuff like this feels like designers got in a room without thinking of existing users upgrading. I know if I bought this thing, I wouldn't know any better, but I'm not really the market (I'm crazy and prefer an SL box or something that works with both SSL/SDJ). I would say existing 57 owners are. Which makes it kind of crazy to me that there's not a way to map it at the least.
DJ Michael Basic 5:02 PM - 13 May, 2015
Quote:
If I'm reading the layout right (looking on the Rane website/never having played on a 57 before), each joystick corresponds to a deck right? So if I'm on the left deck and and want to instant double to the right deck, I push the left joystick to the right (on the 57mkII), correct?

Incorrect. As I've explained earlier in this thread...to move a song to the left deck, you push the LEFT joystick to the RIGHT.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 5:11 PM - 13 May, 2015
So I wonder who were the beta testers? I'm sure they should have noticed and made recommendations?
AKIEM 2:36 AM - 14 May, 2015
Quote:
So I wonder who were the beta testers? I'm sure they should have noticed and made recommendations?

Whoever they are - must be nice to have the mixer configured to their liking.

I certainly would have bought it on the release date if it was configured to my liking.
AddamXavier 2:39 AM - 14 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Incorrect. As I've explained earlier in this thread...to move a song to the left deck, you push the LEFT joystick to the RIGHT.

sorry for missing that. yeah...that shit be stupid :P
SG SOUNDS 2:54 AM - 14 May, 2015
Im good with my 62 and ssl....long live ssl...