DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

EV EKX- I'm the first....

Steven Mark 9:11 PM - 8 May, 2015
Well, I hate to say it, but I am officially the first person to have a legitimate issue with my brand new EKX powered speakers. In attempting to get the system up and running, it turned out that one of the 15inch two ways would not produce any sound. I did everything I could to trouble shoot it and after a number of phone calls, it's going back. Thankfully, Planet DJ has exceptional customer service and a new one has already been shipped.

Despite the issue with that speaker, I am really impressed with this Rig. Although I haven't really cranked the other cabinets up, this rig on it's own already sounds better than my old EV system that has been processed with a DBX EQ and a Sonic Maximizer.

I'm a little bummed about this issue, but I know EV quality and won't hold this one against them.
Mr.Jace 9:28 PM - 8 May, 2015
Try this, go to the menu and click on to reset and see if sound will come on. I had an issue with the first batch of zlx load when those first came out two years ago. You turn them on and no sound, try reset it and magically it starts working. Zlx had the same issue, relays are sticking. Its possiable ekx are doing the same.
Steven Mark 1:07 AM - 9 May, 2015
I did and it didn't work.
Mr.Jace 1:13 AM - 9 May, 2015
Quote:
I did and it didn't work.

That sucks. Got a lemon. I hate to see that. I am planning to buy the ekx subs, I like to wait 6 months after something is release and wait to see reviews like this forum to see if its legit to buy. Let us know how they sound once you replace the bad one
DJFree 3:17 AM - 9 May, 2015
Quote:
Well, I hate to say it, but I am officially the first person to have a legitimate issue with my brand new EKX powered speakers. In attempting to get the system up and running, it turned out that one of the 15inch two ways would not produce any sound. I did everything I could to trouble shoot it and after a number of phone calls, it's going back. Thankfully, Planet DJ has exceptional customer service and a new one has already been shipped.

Despite the issue with that speaker, I am really impressed with this Rig. Although I haven't really cranked the other cabinets up, this rig on it's own already sounds better than my old EV system that has been processed with a DBX EQ and a Sonic Maximizer.

I'm a little bummed about this issue, but I know EV quality and won't hold this one against them.

That sucks man. I just got my ekx 12p today (for cocktail hour/ceremony) and straight out of the box it sounds great.
Steven Mark 4:32 PM - 9 May, 2015
Despite the issue with the one cabinet, I was able to get a feel for the sound of the system with just one main and sub hooked up. It sounds great on its own and probably will just get a driverack PA2 so i can control the sound from my cell phone or tablet
Mr.Jace 4:37 PM - 9 May, 2015
Which sub are you using?
Steven Mark 4:41 PM - 9 May, 2015
I bought two of the EKX 18Ps
Mr.Jace 4:43 PM - 9 May, 2015
How are they? What other subs are they comparable to?
Steven Mark 4:46 PM - 9 May, 2015
well, I can't really compare them to anything just yet, other than my old EV 18s. I have maybe 10 minutes of play on the one. They are definitely tight, clean and punchy- not even half way up they are shaking my house. However, to get a good idea of the true sound, I need to get them out of my basement There's just too much stuff that rattles down there
Mr.Jace 4:54 PM - 9 May, 2015
Quote:
well, I can't really compare them to anything just yet, other than my old EV 18s. I have maybe 10 minutes of play on the one. They are definitely tight, clean and punchy- not even half way up they are shaking my house. However, to get a good idea of the true sound, I need to get them out of my basement There's just too much stuff that rattles down there

Lol. Ok, i was planning to buy the ev ekx15sp to go with my ev elx112p. Just trying to get an idea on sound. I like that you say they are clean , tight sounding.
Steven Mark 6:28 PM - 9 May, 2015
The speaker sets on the outside are my current cabinets. They are EV SH1810's with a QSC amp, DBX eq, and a BBE sonic maximizer.

i51.photobucket.com
Joee 6:37 PM - 9 May, 2015
Quote:
i51.photobucket.com

how would you say the bass compares to your old bass bin, i used to use those older bins a lot back in the day
Steven Mark 6:38 PM - 9 May, 2015
I've decreased the weight and space requirements with this new system. This is only my 2nd year doing DJ/sound production. However, I played bass guitar in a number of bands over the last 15 years so I would like to eventually utilize it in live sound applications. I could have used the old system for bands, but I am starting to ease into more formal functions and the old system was too much of a pain to lug around and set up. Up to this point I have just been doing events/parties at our family owned winery.
Steven Mark 6:43 PM - 9 May, 2015
again, it will be hard to say because I haven't put much time into the new system. I spent hours on the old one trying to perfect the EQ The old system is so tight right now. I did an event last week and had a number of guests who were musicians tell me how crystal clear my sound was. But take away the processing and I can tell you with the new EV and it's DSP, you're comparing apples to oranges. The old system does have it's own internal crossover which is nice.
DJ GaFFle 8:34 PM - 13 May, 2015
Quote:
...Up to this point I have just been doing events/parties at our family owned winery.

Your fam owns a winery? You should be running these: electrovoice.com

:-)
Steven Mark 2:29 PM - 18 May, 2015
Yeah man, I'd love to run those, but I had neighboring property owners flipping out on me this weekend and I would say my system was maybe at 20%. We are zoned agricultural so I'm not sure how legal I am turning that system up much louder than what I had it.

Here's a snap of the setup...

i51.photobucket.com
DJ Dynamight 3:27 PM - 18 May, 2015
Bummer.

I just bought a pair of ETX-15P and they unboxed them in the store to test before giving them to me. Used them for a gig yesterday without a sub and they held up pretty nicely. The DSP is pretty slick, too. This is my first set of EV speakers. I'm looking forward to future gigs using them with my subs.
Steven Mark 3:44 PM - 18 May, 2015
The only thing I regret about not going with the ETX is the fact the EKX doesn't have the built in signal delay. I'm hoping I can fix that with the DriveRack PA2
Mr.Jace 5:47 PM - 18 May, 2015
Quote:
Bummer.

I just bought a pair of ETX-15P and they unboxed them in the store to test before giving them to me. Used them for a gig yesterday without a sub and they held up pretty nicely. The DSP is pretty slick, too. This is my first set of EV speakers. I'm looking forward to future gigs using them with my subs.

Where you able to feel the bass with just running those tops? I looked at the Ev etx15p Saturday at GC and they sounded nice. Bass go low for two way at -3 db 48hz , -10 DB 40 hz. GC wouldn't let me crank 'em.
Steven Mark 7:04 PM - 18 May, 2015
Are you guys buying your EVs through guitar center?
Mr.Jace 7:12 PM - 18 May, 2015
Quote:

Yes, I'm thinking about buying etx15p tops using my Memorial day coupon 15% off plus trade in of my old tops. Or sub. Cant make up my mind.
Steven Mark 8:57 PM - 18 May, 2015
Listen, I got mine through planet DJ, they gave me 15% off every item, free shipping, and the state they are in doesn't collect taxes. They were the best price I found
DJ Dynamight 3:36 AM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Bummer.

Where you able to feel the bass with just running those tops? I looked at the Ev etx15p Saturday at GC and they sounded nice. Bass go low for two way at -3 db 48hz , -10 DB 40 hz. GC wouldn't let me crank 'em.

The bass sounded pretty damn good from where I was located in the corner of the room.
instagram.com

The venue was pretty large, so the bass didn't fill the room like subwoofers would, but it wasn't that type of event where I needed subs. The ETX-15P were much louder than my K12s would have been for sure, which is the reason I wanted to upgrade. The venue is actually adjacent to a funeral home, and they kept telling me to turn down the bass because they were complaining next door (gotta love Brooklyn). After the funeral was over I got the green light to turn it up. The DSP is pretty slick, although I got the PEAK and TEMP warnings occasionally when I was pushing it really hard, usually with heavy bass hip hop songs. I probably won't have that issue when running them high-pass when using subs.

Quote:

Nope, I went to a spot on Canal Street www.canalsoundlight.com
I was heading to KPODJ in NJ but didn't have enough time on Saturday, and traffic was a nightmare. There are lots of options in NYC in addition to Guitar Center and Sam Ash, such as IDJNOW, ProAudioStar, VIP Pro Audio etc.