DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Using Dropbox as your library

djbeatsent 6:42 PM - 21 April, 2015
Does anyone do this? Will it work OK for a mobile DJ with no access to the internet when you are at your gig?

My purpose is to have dropbox sync two computers, so I have a backup and/or another DJ can use the other one at the same time.
djbeatsent 3:46 PM - 22 April, 2015
Bump
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:19 PM - 22 April, 2015
It works as regular offline folder when not connected to internal I know.
I have my crates and database backed up on Dropbox but my files are located in my hard drive.
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:20 PM - 22 April, 2015
*internal = internet
DJ Dub Cowboy 11:55 PM - 27 April, 2015
I've been thinking about doing this, since dropbox will handle a TB now.
DJ Remy USA 6:06 PM - 28 April, 2015
I tried this and the problem I found is that drop box sometimes gets out of sync and you have remove all the files and the re-add all of the them to get things synced again. I think its a good idea for like emergency back up tunes but Im not sure I would do this a full on sync solution between two devices.

I would use a third party file syncing program like Allway Sync allwaysync.com
or Source Forge sourceforge.net

I have no experience with either but drop box at least at this point does not handle file syncronization is a very efficient manner but its good for drag and drop applications but you want a system in place that can detect the files you are moving, when they are changed, when they are modified, when they are moved, etc so that way the program keeps files sync'd at all times with the most current version of the file. Hope that makes sense
Frank "Double FFX" Flores 8:50 PM - 13 November, 2018
djbeatsent,

I actually do have that setup as you are asking. My MacBook Pro is set up with Dropbox and every time I download files from a record pool the music files get uploaded to Dropbox. The local Dropbox files are what I use of course, but the cloud is what keeps them safe.

It's been working like that for a couple of years now and it works great. I did this after I lost all my files when using an external drive.

Hope that helps.
Dredel 7:04 PM - 12 June, 2019
Hey Frank,

How did you set this up?
Dredel 7:05 PM - 12 June, 2019
Quote:
djbeatsent,

I actually do have that setup as you are asking. My MacBook Pro is set up with Dropbox and every time I download files from a record pool the music files get uploaded to Dropbox. The local Dropbox files are what I use of course, but the cloud is what keeps them safe.

It's been working like that for a couple of years now and it works great. I did this after I lost all my files when using an external drive.

Hope that helps.

How did you set this up?
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 7:19 PM - 12 June, 2019
I use this every day on my macbook, my dj partner and i share a 1tb dropbox account and sync only what we each need, me more dj him more photobooth stuff, If at a gig ill turn off sync in the tool bar, but besides that works really well and easy to reset a new login at time
Frank "Double FFX" Flores 10:20 PM - 12 June, 2019
@Dredel

I simply installed Dropbox on my Macbook. I created a folder called, Music Library and every time I download, that is where I download my music. I then add all music from my Music Library to Serato, and that is how I keep things up and safely running.

As for Dropbox, make sure that you set your music folder to sync with Dropbox. This way, every time you download, up it goes to Dropbox.

Hope that helps. If not, let me know and I'll see what I can do about sending you something visual where you can see the process.
Dredel 3:11 PM - 19 June, 2019
Quote:
@Dredel

I simply installed Dropbox on my Macbook. I created a folder called, Music Library and every time I download, that is where I download my music. I then add all music from my Music Library to Serato, and that is how I keep things up and safely running.

As for Dropbox, make sure that you set your music folder to sync with Dropbox. This way, every time you download, up it goes to Dropbox.

Hope that helps. If not, let me know and I'll see what I can do about sending you something visual where you can see the process.

I have Dropbox installed and that is a great way to have it backup. My question is, How do I move my whole music library from my mac to my dropbox? I do it and then drag the dropbox folder in serato files onto the "reallocate files" but it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks for trying to help.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 3:16 PM - 19 June, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
@Dredel

I have Dropbox installed and that is a great way to have it backup. My question is, How do I move my whole music library from my mac to my dropbox? I do it and then drag the dropbox folder in serato files onto the "reallocate files" but it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks for trying to help.

HI Dredel,

From My understanding, either you move the files and then re link them up in serato as in re-create the crates, or re-scan library link under history.

Maybe someone else has a better suggestion