DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Powercon Cables: make your own or buy?

DJ Guayo 6:00 PM - 16 April, 2015
Hey fam,

I've been thinking about making my own cables. I watched a couple of videos online. Seems you just need to buy the adapters and cable. Any idea where you can buy the cable? Lowes/Home Depot?

Or do you prefer to buy them. If so...

Do you guys know of any online stores where you can buy powercon cables at a decent price?
Dj MacMillz 6:38 PM - 16 April, 2015
Make my own.

Sweetwater.com

Partsexpress.com

eBay or Amazon may work also (Amazon prime is pretty fast (2days).

Check out radio shack for the connectors also (if there's any around not out of business)
DJ Guayo 7:00 PM - 16 April, 2015
Thanks. I ended up ordering from Amazon. I will head over to the hardware store to buy 14 Gauge, 3 conductor wire, and buy the length that i need.
REDSELECTER 2:31 PM - 17 April, 2015
pay attention to the type of sleeve on the cable - you probably want SOOW or something similar - see www.awcwire.com for a discusssion.

the type speaks to the durability of the sleeve, its resistance to heat (for example if it happens to drop on a par can, will it melt), etc.

whether the hardware store will carry that i don't know
Ulrich von Hurtem 6:46 PM - 17 April, 2015
SOOW that's the good stuff. SJOW would also be fine.

14 AWG is OK for short runs, and moderate wattage. I'd choose 12 AWG, of fatter for runs over 50 feet, and 1000W.
DJ Guayo 12:08 AM - 27 April, 2015
Thanks fam. The cables I made were for 10 ft and satellite speakers. I was able to find show in 14 gauge and 12 gauge. I will be looking to make my own extension cords soon
Joee 12:51 AM - 27 April, 2015
have you tested out the new rcf system yet with a four speakers running?
DJ Guayo 1:23 PM - 27 April, 2015
Actually I did on Friday.. but I didnt get a chance to take pics or a video of the equipment setup. Did a prom with about 250-300 kids... That mofo was rumbling with plenty of head room to spare. Its loud, clean sound.

Having bass is like 'chasing the red dragon'... lol
Joee 1:48 PM - 27 April, 2015
Quote:
Actually I did on Friday.. but I didnt get a chance to take pics or a video of the equipment setup. Did a prom with about 250-300 kids... That mofo was rumbling with plenty of head room to spare. Its loud, clean sound.

Having bass is like 'chasing the red dragon'... lol

cool, don't for get to post a review on the 8004 & hd32
Leonard Krop 12:41 PM - 16 November, 2018
Buying is a more viable decision when compared to making. You will first need to check out the specifications of your device. For this case you might want to go for the SOOW cables. They can be found at www.nassauelectrical.com.\The jacketing material is a thermo set rubber which hardens when heat is directly applied to it. Other benefits that also come with the jacketing used are the ability to remain unaffected by ozone, water, abrasion and age. The oil resistant insulation and jacket make the cable durable. You may also go for the SJOOW cable depending on the capacity of power required. SOOW cables transmit 600volts power while SJOOW transmit up to 300 volts.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 11:20 PM - 19 November, 2018
I only purchase and use Nordost cables, nuff said.....
JenniferT 4:19 AM - 20 November, 2018
Buying is a more viable decision when compared to making.