Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Bug 1.9.0 - Rescan of ID3 tags not working

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
pueblofunky 2:38 PM - 4 May, 2009
I've just updated the "Genre" in all my WAV files with Tag & Rename 3.5.1 (and the updates are really in the file (made a hexdump)).

Tried to "Rescan ID3 tags" - which did run a while, but no Genre value did change.

Also tried drop & add column "Genre".

When I drop all my files (in Serato) and re-import them, then it works.

Tech info:
- All files are read-only
- Protect library: off
Rane, Support
RafaelM 8:51 PM - 4 May, 2009
WAV works differently with ID3 tag info and ScratchLIVE. Its always best to import the WAV files and not use the rescan ID3 tag. The reason is ScratchLIVE adds this info to the Metadata folder for WAV files and can only do this on a import of a WAV file and not a ID3 rescan.
pueblofunky 9:07 PM - 4 May, 2009
Sorry, but I don't understand:

You really read the ID3 info from the .wav files when I move them to the crates but NOT when I select "rescan ID3 tags"?

From another thread:
You really read the file size, bitrate, length from the .wav files and NOT from .mp3 when I move them to the crates. And to read the information (except the file size) from .wav takes much longer as from a .mp3.

I'm a computer progammer for 25 years but I don't understand the logic ...

---> however

This is really bad.

I often update my files and/or keep them up-to-date.

I have no chance? So I have to delete the file in Serato and re-import it into the correct crates?

Today I had to delete over 1800 .wav files from Serato. Now I can sort out the files into the crates again!

It seems that I have to store the crate in a ID3 frame to avoid this problem. But then - I see - I'll have another one when I move the file to another crate ... (I don't want to update my files with Serato as long the bug with removing unknown frames exist).

I have to select the file I want to change. Switch to another program. Update a free ID3 tag but which Serato is able to display with the crate name. Switch back to Serato. Delete the file. Switch to import files into the new Serato crate.

Oh god ...

Please keep it simple ...

It's much easier to burn a new CD instead of using Serato ...

Sorry
Rane, Support
RafaelM 10:30 PM - 4 May, 2009
The easiest way would be.

Tag you WAV files completely before importing into ScratchLIVE. Organize all your WAV files into folders on the drive itself (organize the WAVs just like you want your crates to look like).

Then use the import feature to drag the organized folders to the crate section. SSL will then make a crate with that same folder name and import the files into it. Simple as that.

When you get new tracks - tag them, put them into the folder they should go in and then use the import window to drag that folder into its SSL crate. The new tracks will only be imported.
pueblofunky 6:40 AM - 5 May, 2009
"Tag you WAV files completely before importing into ScratchLIVE."

... not always possible due changes of the tagging software (Tag & Rename) and misc. adding missing data (also making comments, etc.).

"Organize all your WAV files into folders on the drive itself"

... I've started to organize my files in folders when the tracks have been released, this means I have a folder for each year (1959 .. 2009) (currently over 2 disks) - because this is a value which never changes (except for those few which are "unknown" and find out the year later).

I also want to use the advantage of Serato that I can have a track in multiple folders.

Why:

I have misc. folder like e.g. "Disco 1", "Disco 2", "House 1", etc. (but the Genre is always "Disco" or "House").

I also try to prepare my set before I go djing because due the hundreds of 70's & 80's I'm not able to find the tracks which I want to play during the night (where I had an idea before!).

So I make a new folder for each night. Go to Disco 70's 1, Disco 70's 2, Disco 70's pre-program, Disco 80's 1, etc. and move a good set into the folder per night. A copy of WAV's isn't possible!

Of course - I also need this DURING the night. That's why I want to have 2 options for "protect crates" and "protect files" - and not only one "protect library" - see another thread.

So all-in-all - I can not understand the different handling of MP3 & WAV files. There are definitely NO performance issues - as I written before:

For moving MP3 into the crates:
- ID3v2 tags are at the beginning - you need NO extra seek - you have it with the first "read". There is NO reason NOT to read length, bitrate - and definitely not to read the file size.

For WAV's you have to make extra seeks because ID3v2 tags are normally at the end of the file. This takes longer! And this you are doing when moving files to the crates? Sorry - not to understand.

For re-scan ID3 tags:
- You do the "overhead" above here for MP3's - but not for WAV's?
Note: I PRESS THE BUTTON. I WANT TO RE-SCAN THE FILES. SO DO IT CORRECTLY. It would be also enough only to re-scan the selected files (I'm not sure yet but I think the whole library will be re-scanned everytime).
pueblofunky 1:20 PM - 5 May, 2009
PS: Of course I could use the prepare folder for preparing but I'm using this ONE folder only for the next few tracks I (really) play (incl. wishes from guests).

However, this doesn't solve the problem above of course. We discuss here about WAV / MP3 re-scanning differences. ;-)
Rane, Support
RafaelM 4:03 PM - 5 May, 2009
I understand your concerns. But ScratchLIVE does not treat WAV files like MP3 files. There are ID3 tag limitations with WAV and others like AIF and so on. This is not necessarily a ScratchLIVE issue, but more or less issues with the way WAV and AIF files are tagged differently.
pueblofunky 3:36 PM - 6 May, 2009
What are the ID3 tag limitations for WAV files please?

The whole ID3 stream is defined as standard. This stream must be equal in MP3 and WAV files. So we need not talk about the content.

Tag & Rename displays this content without any problems - really extremly very fast with scanning - and there are no differences between MP3 or WAV files!

And why are these exceptions in Serato only?
Rane, Support
RafaelM 5:02 PM - 6 May, 2009
MP3 and WAV are tagged differently. MP3 files have the ID3 tag info within the file itself. WAV files get ID3 tag info attached to the file. Not all programs will read the WAV ID3 tag because of this variance in ID3 version and method of attachment.

So, although you say WAV files may have tagging standards, not all tagging programs abide by them, so really even if there is a standard - it serves no purpose when no one uses it. The tag and rename programs just add various ID3 tag versions to the WAV, but really WAV files should be tagged in chunks by standard and still not all programs will read the info when this is done either.

ScratchLIVE reads everything it can from a WAV when it is imported and that info is saved to the metadata folder. So, if you re-tag the WAV and hit the rescan ID3 tags, ScratchLIVE will not update the info. You will have to re-import the WAV file.

Similar issues going on in this thread: forum.dbpoweramp.com
Rane, Support
RafaelM 5:14 PM - 6 May, 2009
You can also try another ID3 tag editing program. They all try to attach the ID3 tag info to WAVs differently. Maybe another program will be able to attach this info to the WAV in a way where ScratchLIVE can update it on a rescan of ID3 tags.

But from what I have experienced, with WAVs its best to tag and rename before importing the file to ScratchLIVE.
pueblofunky 7:08 PM - 7 May, 2009
NO NO NO ...

Why can Serato read the ID3 tags (artist, title, bpm, etc.) when I move the files to the crate BUT NOT DURING THE RE-SCAN?

Is it so hard to understand? Pleass see my first question.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE ... and believe me - there is no difference - or how do you program?

I'M SORRY - I'm a little bit angry now and not interested in to waste my time here again. The developers of Serato should reply please.
pueblofunky 10:39 AM - 8 May, 2009
btw: I've selected all my WAV files for re-scan >1800 .. Re-scan is running for all files - and nothing happens?

What is Serato doing during this hour? - when not reading the ID3 tags but not updating them? ...