Serato Blog Comments

Comments for the Serato Blog

Serato x Nuits Sonores DJ Mix Competition

12:49 AM, 9 Apr 2015
Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
h2ouse 11:49 PM - 9 April, 2015
That's all well and good. But what if you don't have a mixcloud. Likes and favourites etc come with followers. and someone who does not have an account will have none!
You only get listens on mixcloud if youre a big deal, unlike some other music mix websites where everyone is on an even keel (or there abouts)

I'd really like to enter this comp, but I'm handicapped from the word go!
h2ouse 11:51 PM - 9 April, 2015
"Open up an account" I hear you say

Tha still doesn't solve the proem
DJ张抽抽 6:27 AM - 10 April, 2015
支持!!
Davideon 7:25 PM - 10 April, 2015
I've never used mix cloud and would hope plays wasn't relevant. I've listened to thousands of tracks that i wouldn't listen to again.

It's like a club that gives a spot to a dj regardless of his skills as long as he has a "crew"
Serato, Moderator
Samuel S 4:38 AM - 13 April, 2015
The competition is in partnership with Mixcloud which is why you need to upload your mix there :) It's also one of the only platforms that you can legally host mixes.

Self promotion is also part of the competition (and being a successful DJ) but it's not the deciding factor. 100 listens is the minimum (which isn't a outrageously huge number), after that we are looking for track selection, individuality and technique.

It's also not about Mixcloud followers - you can easily promote outside of your Mixcloud account to bring in traffic.

We're looking for a great mix at the end of the day though, not just the DJ with the most friends. This is why the judging criteria isn't solely based on that.

sam.
h2ouse 10:23 AM - 13 April, 2015
Quote:
I've never used mix cloud and would hope plays wasn't relevant. I've listened to thousands of tracks that i wouldn't listen to again.

It's like a club that gives a spot to a dj regardless of his skills as long as he has a "crew"


I totally agree, BBD!

I have a mixcloud and had stuff up on it for months with very few listens and fewer followers. On some other website that does not operate this way, I had 20 listens with the first hour of uploading and when I woke up the next morning if had 70odd listens, a couple of comments and 3 downloads.

Mix cloud need to change the way it operates. IMO.

Thanks for your reply and explanation Sam.

I mean, I don't live in the UK anymore anyway, so I cant apply on those grounds.

But I think you're missing a trick.... There are perhaps a lot of "bedroom" Dj's that are great, just waiting to get out! These guys might never get a look in!!!

Anyway, rang over!
I'm sure it will be a great comp regardless with a heap of talent.

Enjoy.
H2
Burgric 9:33 AM - 19 April, 2015
Hi i have entered the competition (check me out search "BURGRIC" on mixcloud) at the end of the day you've got to promote yourself and get other users and DJ'S knowing your name, people aren't going to listen to your mixes if they dont know who you are.
Im only a bedroom DJ and definitely not the best in the world but by letting everyone know who i am has gained me a lot of support and from just playing my mixes to myself at home i now have people all over the world listening. When you hand over demos you are advertising yourself and letting whoever your giving it to know who you are! :D
There are god knows how many DJs in the world so you've got to make yourself known!
h2ouse 9:35 AM - 19 April, 2015
Quote:
Hi i have entered the competition (check me out search "BURGRIC" on mixcloud) at the end of the day you've got to promote yourself and get other users and DJ'S knowing your name, people aren't going to listen to your mixes if they dont know who you are.
Im only a bedroom DJ and definitely not the best in the world but by letting everyone know who i am has gained me a lot of support and from just playing my mixes to myself at home i now have people all over the world listening. When you hand over demos you are advertising yourself and letting whoever your giving it to know who you are! :D
There are god knows how many DJs in the world so you've got to make yourself known!


Nice reply! Cheers!

So where do I go? Soundcloud or mix cloud? Don't really wanna pay to be part of every music social media website going!!
Burgric 9:37 AM - 19 April, 2015
Mixcloud mate :D
h2ouse 9:38 AM - 19 April, 2015
Quote:
Mixcloud mate :D

Mixcloud it is.... Let's start promoting!!
Serato, Moderator
Samuel S 9:30 PM - 19 April, 2015
Quote:

So where do I go? Soundcloud or mix cloud? Don't really wanna pay to be part of every music social media website going!!


Both platforms have free services and advanced "pro" accounts you can pay to use which give you advanced reporting etc. You probably only need a free one at first though.

The advantage to Mixcloud currently is that they manage all of the digital music rights for your uploads so that your mixes won't get taken down and are legal. With Soundcloud you run the risk of having your track pulled down if it's not your own original material (currently).

Sam.
Jimi_Hoffa 11:34 AM - 20 April, 2015
So it's more a popularity contest than an actual competition to showcase skills - getting over 100 plays on mixcloud is really hard! - and yes, saw the previous post about posting it on other media, but come on.. Should be different criteria then this..
Serato, Moderator
Samuel S 9:14 PM - 20 April, 2015
Quote:
So it's more a popularity contest than an actual competition to showcase skills - getting over 100 plays on mixcloud is really hard! - and yes, saw the previous post about posting it on other media, but come on.. Should be different criteria then this..


It does reflect other criteria, we just have a limit of 100 plays to get past the first round for judging. We are looking for someone who can get this number of plays for this contest at least but the final winner is not judged on that. Here are the full judging criteria:

- Entrants will be judged on a number of factors including (but not limited to) number of plays, favorites, track selection, individuality and technique.

- We aren’t looking for 40 minutes of bangers here. We want to see you tailor a mix that you feel would perfectly sit within this event.

- We want to see at least 100 plays on your mix for it to be considered. Show us your flair for self-promotion as well as your skill.

- The artist relations team at Serato as well as guest judge, Recloose, will have the final decision on the winner and runners up for the competition.

Sam.
bpod 1:17 PM - 28 April, 2015
Hello Serato,

I´ve taken part in the Competition, I spreaded the net to get 100 listeners and I´ve seen on the Seratos messages on mixcloud that the winners have been chosen, but I can´t see anything about it on seratos website. It would be very nice if you can post the winners, or at least an information like, all winners found, thanks for taking part. But closing the competition and saying nothing is really confusing.

Thanks and regards,
Thomas (bpod)
Davideon 5:22 PM - 28 April, 2015
Funky Drummer and Tuchowski, Spiders got third runner up.

Congratulations to @kavanator for winning our @Nuits_sonores DJ mix competition! The perfect opening set we thought - t.co

yeah i agree. I've seen the top 3 as they have been announced on twitter but thought it strange they've not been mentioned here
spiders 7:44 PM - 28 April, 2015
:)
Davideon 8:37 PM - 28 April, 2015
Quote:
:)

Got a link to yours ?
bpod 8:46 PM - 28 April, 2015
@BBD THX for information :-)

Congratulations to the winners! :-)
spiders 9:42 PM - 28 April, 2015
Thank you so much bpod ;-)

BBD
In the home page there is a link to Serato facebook page where mentioned the result!
www.facebook.com

I think that Serato has used the social media like first tool for inform the people!

Cheers
www.mixcloud.com
Serato, Moderator
Samuel S 10:49 PM - 28 April, 2015
We announced on Twitter and Facebook and notified the winners over email.

As the others have mentioned these were the winners:

1st: www.mixcloud.com

2nd: www.mixcloud.com

3rd: www.mixcloud.com

4th: www.mixcloud.com

Thanks everyone for entering, it was a great competition!!

Sam.
spiders 7:51 AM - 29 August, 2017
I have change the name of my mixcloud profile ;)

4th: www.mixcloud.com