DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

RCA to XLR (stereo l/r)

First Name Last Name 6:40 AM - 7 April, 2015
Does anyone have an idea as to what is the best way to convert a RCA stereo out to a XLR stereo in? In the end, what I want to achieve is being able to send the audio signal from a tiny mixer that only has an RCA out and hook it up to my 2 powered speakers.

I have heard phrases such as active/passive converters thrown around, but I don't really understand which would be better or how different. Understanding that RCA cables are unbalanced, what would be the best method of conversion to make the signal balanced?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:05 AM - 7 April, 2015
What kind of mixer ONLY has an RCA Out? Get one that has a 1/4 inch out, and go from 1/4 to XLR....done.

You can theoretically go from RCA to 1/4 to XLR, but I'm interested because I have a small footprint mixer to convert from 1/4 to XLR as well, but not RCA to XLR...

This is 64 bucks.

www.sweetwater.com
First Name Last Name 2:47 PM - 7 April, 2015
My first mixer that I ever bought actually, the Stanton M.212, had only RCA out. Since then, however, I have been using a Numark NS7FX, which has XLR outs for my left and right powered speakers.

The reason that I need some way to convert it is because my old SL1 box isn't supported in Serato Dj, unlike my NS7, and I want to get back into using physical vinyl with Serato. I was going to pick up the Akai AMX, seeing that that would be the cheapest solution for my budget while still in college. Even though it only has RCA outs, it would still be cheaper to buy an Akai AMX, download the DVS expansion, and get either some converters or a 4 channel mixer with XLR outs rather than purchasing a new SL box.
Rebelguy 3:11 PM - 7 April, 2015
You can get a direct box to convert an unbalanced signal to a balanced one. Here is a cost effective option.

www.sweetwater.com

You would just need RCA to 1/4 inch cables to plug from your mixer into it.
First Name Last Name 3:19 PM - 7 April, 2015
What do you think of the Rolls MB15 Promatch?
AKIEM 4:18 PM - 7 April, 2015
Rolls is a decent brand.

But this really depends on the distance you are sending signal. RCA is 'unbalanced' and fine for short distance like to your powered speakers. So you don't need a DI box.

www.amazon.com

And no you don't need to spend 64 on noisy extra mixer - smh
First Name Last Name 4:35 PM - 7 April, 2015
The issue here though is that I usually have 2x25' XLR cables going from my NS7 to where my speakers are setup. I don't think that RCA would cut it, haha.

However, what is the typical range that RCA can go without experiencing any problems with signal?
AKIEM 4:47 PM - 7 April, 2015
I thought we were talking about powered monitors on your desk.

Even so, unless you have strong RF interference you can run 'unbalanced' 25 feet.

I used to play at a club which ran RCA across the room from the stage. I always thought it was janky, but it worked fine.

I wouldn't record that way, but if this is for home, no reason to waste money.
First Name Last Name 4:50 PM - 7 April, 2015
So as long as the RCA cables are in good condition, there's no need to expect any interference as long as everything else is also in good condition? Generally speaking, of course. And for not extremely long distances.
AKIEM 4:51 PM - 7 April, 2015
Yup, I would try that first.
4mydawgz 4:58 PM - 7 April, 2015
I have RCA to XLR cables. that to me would seem the best solution.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:11 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
Rolls is a decent brand.

But this really depends on the distance you are sending signal. RCA is 'unbalanced' and fine for short distance like to your powered speakers. So you don't need a DI box.

www.amazon.com

And no you don't need to spend 64 on noisy extra mixer - smh

Ahhh, cost effective Tommy in da house....

Well of course!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:23 PM - 7 April, 2015
That Stalk meter is on HIGH I see....
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:37 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
Does anyone have an idea as to what is the best way to convert a RCA stereo out to a XLR stereo in?

The best way I have found to accomplish this us to plug the RCAs ino a RANE 62, THEN plug an XLR from the XLR out if the 62 to the XLR in of tje audio source. Works like a charm
First Name Last Name 9:45 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Does anyone have an idea as to what is the best way to convert a RCA stereo out to a XLR stereo in?

The best way I have found to accomplish this us to plug the RCAs ino a RANE 62, THEN plug an XLR from the XLR out if the 62 to the XLR in of tje audio source. Works like a charm

Haha, plugging a mixer into another 2-Channel mixer? If I had the money, I would just purchase the Sixty-two rather than plugging a cheaper one with just the RCA's out into a Sixty-two. Thanks for the input, though
AKIEM 3:50 PM - 8 April, 2015
LMAO @ using a mixer instead of an adapter LMAO

oh wait (smh)
AKIEM 3:53 PM - 8 April, 2015
s16.postimg.org

Or you can get one of those. Most have an Aux in and if you press record/pause the signal runs out the headphone jack - boom
DJ Remix Detroit 4:18 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
s16.postimg.org

Or you can get one of those. Most have an Aux in and if you press record/pause the signal runs out the headphone jack - boom

that looks like the room JM records his sets in.
AKIEM 4:19 PM - 8 April, 2015
lol - exaclty
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:46 PM - 8 April, 2015
That room is actually dope....

Y'all don't appreciate vintage equipment...

It ain't for errybody...
DJ Remix Detroit 6:17 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
That room is actually dope....

Y'all don't appreciate vintage equipment...

It ain't for errybody...

yup... just museums and hoarders...lol
AKIEM 6:41 PM - 8 April, 2015
...and cats who recommend buy a crappy mixer instead of a simple adapter - lol