DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Which KRK Rokit's are best?

sixxx 9:30 PM - 3 May, 2009
You talkin' bout the new models or the old ones?
DVDjHardy 9:32 PM - 3 May, 2009
RPG2 8 x2 - highly recommend
HittinSkinzTa2 10:40 PM - 3 May, 2009
I know they aren't Rokit's, but I LOVE my VXT-8's.
If you have the opportunity to scoop up a pair, I highly recommend.
djdragon 12:09 AM - 4 May, 2009
I have the VXT-8's and the RP6G2 love them both
HittinSkinzTa2 12:25 AM - 4 May, 2009
I have the Rokit 5's also. I connected them to my iMac after I upgraded to the VXT's.
CMOS 3:14 AM - 4 May, 2009
I have the Rokit 6's, and ive heard HittinSkinz VXT-8s. The VXT-8s blow them out of the water.
MikeNicco 12:52 PM - 4 May, 2009
When I got my monitors at GC, It was between the Krk 5's or 6's. I went with the 6's. The 5's didnt have enough low end.
DJ Threece 2:16 PM - 4 May, 2009
Im about to pick up a pair of Rokits next week....are the 8's worth $49 more each than the 6's?

www.guitarcenter.com

or

www.guitarcenter.com
sopranosupasta 3:49 PM - 4 May, 2009
I have the 6's , it really depends on the size of your room and what you require for volume.... thats how you should select your monitors.
gravitized 4:06 PM - 4 May, 2009
I pulled a house party off with the Rokit 6 before (Don't ask). My neighbors are always complaining. I love my pair, it really does depend on the size of the room in which you will be using them and on if the room is treated or not. I have not heard the 6's in a treated room before but I know they will kick...HARD.
DJ Threece 4:16 PM - 4 May, 2009
Well theyre going in my basement....I just need it for home mixing, i have PA speakers for parties or gigs. I do like bass, so if the 6 is enough, ill just get those.
DVDjHardy 4:28 PM - 4 May, 2009
Quote:
Im about to pick up a pair of Rokits next week....are the 8's worth $49 more each than the 6's?

www.guitarcenter.com

or

www.guitarcenter.com

Worth it. I have both sizes and I think the extra $ is justifiable.
a-swift 4:55 PM - 4 May, 2009
I have the 8's Dub. For the money, I'm not sure if I like any other monitors in that size / range. I'd probably settle on these again if I were doing it all over. I like these speakers!
freshtodeath 9:11 PM - 5 May, 2009
Quote:
I have the 8's Dub. For the money, I'm not sure if I like any other monitors in that size / range. I'd probably settle on these again if I were doing it all over. I like these speakers!

i've owned event tr-8xls and tapco s8s in the past. last month i picked up rockit-8s and the bass was not enough for me. everytime i would turn it up, the speakers distorted badly. i ended up picking up the krk10s subwoofer and now it bangs.

keep in mind krk is owned by stanton.
balistikgelhed 10:07 PM - 5 May, 2009
Check out Yamaha HS series... you don't even need a sub with those.
DJ Tecniq 8:49 PM - 6 May, 2009
I was just looking into upgrading my monitors myself but not for producing more so home dj'ing. I'm thinkin about the KRK Rokit RP6 G2's or M-audio Bx8a's. I used to have the M-audio studiophiles which sound great but ended up blowing the speakers. Now I have shitty samson resolv monitors that hardly cary any bass and sound just horrible. Does anyone have the RP6 G2's? I'm not looking for anything too big or too loud.
andrew b 1:19 AM - 7 May, 2009
imo i feel the rockits are very bass heavy... i don't really feel they give a true sound... love my m audios
Nser Uame 10:11 AM - 7 May, 2009
Steve Dub,

you definately do need to listen and tell for yourself, but keep in mind that the room you listen in will be different to at home.
typically when you are reading forums or reviews about studio monitors they will tend to be more focused on production, so you need to decide for yourself. these reviews will generally lean towards the 6" models for bedroom use.
that being said, if you can get past not having a yellow cone, the M-Audio BX8a's are probably my favourite speakers for DJing, and especially for DJing hip-hop. they have an impressive, clear, solid sound that does hip hop and electronic music a lot of justice :P
i'd recommend getting the 8" for djing, where a solid and impressive sound would be more desireable over a flat, more accurate sound.
Gamble 2:03 PM - 7 May, 2009
Quote:
I pulled a house party off with the Rokit 6 before (Don't ask). My neighbors are always complaining. I love my pair, it really does depend on the size of the room in which you will be using them and on if the room is treated or not. I have not heard the 6's in a treated room before but I know they will kick...HARD.

Same here, the 6's worked for my house party, they bang (nh).
DJ Sousay 9:00 PM - 7 May, 2009
I just went through this. I actually ended up buying the new Mackie MR8's. So far I love them. I did a lot of reading about studio monitors before I made the decision. Check out this page, it gave me a lot of information.

www.tweakheadz.com

If you are not set on the KRK's for about the same price you should def check out the Mackies.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Tecniq 9:39 PM - 7 May, 2009
Quote:
Steve Dub,

you definately do need to listen and tell for yourself, but keep in mind that the room you listen in will be different to at home.
typically when you are reading forums or reviews about studio monitors they will tend to be more focused on production, so you need to decide for yourself. these reviews will generally lean towards the 6" models for bedroom use.
that being said, if you can get past not having a yellow cone, the M-Audio BX8a's are probably my favourite speakers for DJing, and especially for DJing hip-hop. they have an impressive, clear, solid sound that does hip hop and electronic music a lot of justice :P
i'd recommend getting the 8" for djing, where a solid and impressive sound would be more desireable over a flat, more accurate sound.
This is so true, I made a small electro demo using the m-audio studiophile's DX4 as my first monitors ever and I was highly impressed with how well my mixes came out and how much easier it was for me to mix the music on the tables. M-audio's have been around for yrs and they were the talk way before krk. They put out such a clear responsive sound and really delive for their price. However the studiophile's weren't powerful enough for a first pair now I know to look for the BX8a's. On the other hand I haven't tried the krk's but I have seen reviews about them on pro sound and it looks as if they are one up from M-audio now. I just can't make up my mind on the KRK RP6 G2's or the BX8a's.
freshtodeath 9:49 PM - 7 May, 2009
Quote:

This is so true, I made a small electro demo using the m-audio studiophile's DX4 as my first monitors ever and I was highly impressed with how well my mixes came out and how much easier it was for me to mix the music on the tables. M-audio's have been around for yrs and they were the talk way before krk. They put out such a clear responsive sound and really delive for their price. However the studiophile's weren't powerful enough for a first pair now I know to look for the BX8a's. On the other hand I haven't tried the krk's but I have seen reviews about them on pro sound and it looks as if they are one up from M-audio now. I just can't make up my mind on the KRK RP6 G2's or the BX8a's.

more importantly you- yourself have to listen to monitors before you buy. i heard both the bx8s and the rp8s in the same room. the bx8s were way too flat for me, and the rp8s were muddy. all in all these are middle class active monitors. after hearing some high priced monitors like dynaaudios, event precision 8s you realize the difference.
DJ Tecniq 11:54 PM - 7 May, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

hrmm..interesting but I'm kinda looking for a flat response but punchy output as they are just going to be used as near field monitors for my room and practice. When I mix live on tables I don't need the sound blaring I get it just right and have the monitors so close to me to get that perfect mix and listen to every detail while mixing. My budget I plan on spending is no more than $500 I just something simple compact and sound great thank u for the feedback though I will look into the monitors u mentioned
DJ Tecniq 11:57 PM - 7 May, 2009
Quote:
more importantly you- yourself have to listen to monitors before you buy. i heard both the bx8s and the rp8s in the same room. the bx8s were way too flat for me, and the rp8s were muddy. all in all these are middle class active monitors. after hearing some high priced monitors like dynaaudios, event precision 8s you realize the difference.
Sorry I quoted myself lol...shit's confusing sometimes meant to just quote u my bad.

hrmm..interesting but I'm kinda looking for a flat response but punchy output as they are just going to be used as near field monitors for my room and practice. When I mix live on tables I don't need the sound blaring I get it just right and have the monitors so close to me to get that perfect mix and listen to every detail while mixing. My budget I plan on spending is no more than $500 I just something simple compact and sound great thank u for the feedback though I will look into the monitors u mentioned
DenkiBlue 3:59 PM - 8 May, 2009
If you wanna get real serious --> Genelec.
sacrilicious 8:14 PM - 27 May, 2009
Is buying a floor model pair a bad idea? My dad's tennis buddy owns the store but I'm still weary. He'd sell me the floor model for $370/pair or a new pair for $440.

(KRK RP8 G2)
sixxx 8:24 PM - 27 May, 2009
Quote:
Is buying a floor model pair a bad idea? My dad's penis buddy owns the store but I'm still weary. He'd sell me the floor model for $370/pair or a new pair for $440.

(KRK RP8 G2)

Is that what they call them nowadays?
balistikgelhed 4:41 AM - 28 May, 2009
"m-audio were the talk" = wtf?
djdragon 5:27 AM - 28 May, 2009
Quote:
If you wanna get real serious --> Genelec.

Tannoy Precision 8 FTW
ZXRProductionsOfficial 5:15 AM - 4 December, 2016
Greetings Pros,

I kinda have a Feeling that if you buy a ROKIT 10-3, It has an In-Built Volume Tuner, so, you can set it up for whatever room size you got.

And the ROKIT 10-3 is the Best I've ever heard from KRK yet, Its the biggest one as well.

Use it at a Club or a Super small Studio, I think it's gonna be shaped however you want it.
I'm goin with them #10-3FTW!