DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Native Instruments Stems: How soon before it's in SDJ?

MPC O.G. 4:35 PM - 30 March, 2015
www.djtechtools.com

This is a great day for ALL DJ's. This is open source, so it is available to all. I REALLY believe that's what that new hardware is for. Very clever N.I.
Will08272 4:45 PM - 30 March, 2015
Good on them making it open source. Gave traktor a shot a couple years ago and wouldve kept it had i not had to have my library reanalyzed again. But now with rekordbuddy 2 releasing and essentially being able to have one library and all your files be good where ever might consider also using traktor along with SDJ.
DJ Irv 4:59 PM - 30 March, 2015
There should actually be a plugin built into both programs to ignore cues and loops by their own program and use the competing programs cues and loops when present. Better yet a switch on the virtual deck that lets you go between RecordBox/Traktor/Serato.
MPC O.G. 5:03 PM - 30 March, 2015
These are regular MP4 files. iTunes. I mean as far as a supported controller for use with SDJ. The D2 is a direct assault on CDJ's, IMO. Hopefully N.I. and Serato can play nice one more time.....Just like they did with the X1.
DJ Irv 5:04 PM - 30 March, 2015
Anyways, don't let me derail this thread. I think Stems are super exciting. Will be great to break down tracks live and not have to have separate tracks for instrumentals/acapellas. Imagine your record pool giving use the option, -sweet!
MPC O.G. 5:06 PM - 30 March, 2015
Just thought of something else. 2 D2's and a MP2015......WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU NEED? TSP is HID ready. Just plug it in and go. Just thinking out loud.
Davideon 7:11 PM - 30 March, 2015
This will only work if the files are created by the producer. Taking an existing file to create a stem file will result in the 4 parts having bleed and not being clean.
MPC O.G. 7:13 PM - 30 March, 2015
True. But if you are used to a DAW you really should be able to do your edits quite easily.
MPC O.G. 7:16 PM - 30 March, 2015
Look at all the production houses that make remix packs. It would be easy for them to do the same thing to their other music since they are controlling it at ground level. I just hope Masters At Work are one of the artists participating through Beatport. They NEED to holler at Cajmere and Frankie Knuckle's estate.
Davideon 7:22 PM - 30 March, 2015
They'll probably cost a fair but too. And it'd be interesting where the knobs (faders?) Would go on a mixer
MPC O.G. 7:23 PM - 30 March, 2015
Midi Fighter.... Or something like it.
WarpNote 7:25 PM - 30 March, 2015
Quote:
They'll probably cost a fair but too. And it'd be interesting where the knobs (faders?) Would go on a mixer
You would obviously use a midi controller, probably in conjuction with a regular dj mixer for this, just like most ableton guys. Clear example of why I like modular setups.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:54 PM - 30 March, 2015
I dont see this taking off. The key hurdle is that producers need to make and release these files and I dont see alot of people in the music industry skurrying to give djs the ability to pick apart their Songs
eugguy 9:56 PM - 30 March, 2015
Quote:
I dont see this taking off. The key hurdle is that producers need to make and release these files and I dont see alot of people in the music industry skurrying to give djs the ability to pick apart their Songs

Agree.
MPC O.G. 12:34 AM - 31 March, 2015
TSP's major users are house/D&B/Techno DJ's. They already have a lot of SMALLER boutique labels on board. When the major labels see ANY money being made they will follow suit. BUT IT WILL BE VERY SLOW. That was always the dividing line between SSL & TSP. SSL was for hip hop & open format DJ's and Traktor was geared toward electronic music. Anything that pushes technology forward is good news to me.
Daktyl 2:20 PM - 31 March, 2015
One word... AWESOME!

It will only catch on if other software/hardware companies support it, so making it open source, and a common universal format was a smart move.

Also, it will only catch on if producers are willing to release their tracks this way. With all the remix comps and such going on where stems to popular tracks can be downloaded by anyone, it might happen...
Dj Mike P. 1:40 AM - 3 April, 2015
This is all good for djs, but theres zero advantage as an artist or record company to release in this format, even acapellas are rare these days.
MPC O.G. 2:08 AM - 3 April, 2015
Quote:
This is all good for djs, but theres zero advantage as an artist or record company to release in this format, even acapellas are rare these days.

Are you kidding? This only adds maybe an hour or two to the whole production process. And anybody with a Rane 2015 and a NI D2 will SOON be able to tell you that it's worth it. You can charge MORE for a STEM than just a regular song. And there are record pools who make a hell of a lot of money for MAKING acapellas.......
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:37 AM - 3 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Are you kidding? This only adds maybe an hour or two to the whole production process. And anybody with a Rane 2015 and a NI D2 will SOON be able to tell you that it's worth it. You can charge MORE for a STEM than just a regular song. And there are record pools who make a hell of a lot of money for MAKING acapellas.......

Exactly, the pool has to MAKE pellas because the label does not want people fucking with the music they worked hard to put out. Same will go for stems, theres no benefit in it for the the people putting out the music
MPC O.G. 5:14 AM - 3 April, 2015
EVERY song has an acapella to it. It's just a matter of if it's released or not. If there's a demand and money can be made, it WILL BE RELEASED. The revenue stream is drying up for the music EXECS, this is an easy way to get more money out of the consumer. And acapellas went out of style because it was costing execs money. Nothing else.
Mr. Goodkat 9:50 AM - 3 April, 2015
by that logic, wouldn't every acapella be released since money can be made on any song depending on who wants it on the net?
Dj Mike P. 2:20 PM - 3 April, 2015
Quote:
EVERY song has an acapella to it. It's just a matter of if it's released or not. If there's a demand and money can be made, it WILL BE RELEASED. The revenue stream is drying up for the music EXECS, this is an easy way to get more money out of the consumer. And acapellas went out of style because it was costing execs money. Nothing else.

How is there money to be made from acapellas? Only people who want acapellas are djs Watchwww.youtube.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:16 PM - 3 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

How is there money to be made from acapellas? Only people who want acapellas are djs Watchwww.youtube.com

Think about that fora moment.....

Quote:

How is there money to be made from stems? Only people who want steme are djs
MPC O.G. 10:52 PM - 3 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

EXACTLY. They can kill off all the illegal record pool FAKE acapellas and get that revenue stream directly. And EVERYBODY wants to be a DJ now. All it takes is the right artist and right song to get the wannabe's to follow suit. I DO understand your point of view, but it is easy for them to do this.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:08 AM - 4 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

EXACTLY. They can kill off all the illegal record pool FAKE acapellas and get that revenue stream directly. And EVERYBODY wants to be a DJ now. All it takes is the right artist and right song to get the wannabe's to follow suit. I DO understand your point of view, but it is easy for them to do this.

I agree it would be easy to do BUT it seems directly in conflict with current business practices. I read an interview somewhere with a bunch of powers that be at labels and their view was they do NOT want people messin with the music. Thats why they DONT currently release many pellas. The concelt being that they spend time and money putting out the "best" sounding product they can put out and it does them no good to have some college kid with a laptop make a shitty remix and ruin the song
MPC O.G. 4:36 AM - 4 April, 2015
That's what the legal department is for. That's why the quality of the stem is somewhat lessened. The artists are pushing the execs out and the execs are pissed. That's why the early adopters are small labels. The same way DVS changed the DJ game, I feel stems will SLOWLY change the music game. Imagine how many people would PAY for permission to remix a song. That video of Just Blaze was something I already knew. Maybe there would be a way (there already is) to watermark a song so BDS scan aren't affected and spins stay correct. That's the biggest hurdle I see.
Dj Mike P. 12:23 PM - 4 April, 2015
Quote:
That's what the legal department is for. That's why the quality of the stem is somewhat lessened. The artists are pushing the execs out and the execs are pissed. That's why the early adopters are small labels. The same way DVS changed the DJ game, I feel stems will SLOWLY change the music game. Imagine how many people would PAY for permission to remix a song. That video of Just Blaze was something I already knew. Maybe there would be a way (there already is) to watermark a song so BDS scan aren't affected and spins stay correct. That's the biggest hurdle I see.

Why on earth would someone pay to remix a song? Do you really think any major label is gonna release a stem track through itunes, and grant you the rights to use parts to make another song?, like forget about paying for a sample, just grab the stem.
Mr. Goodkat 5:27 PM - 4 April, 2015
Quote:
The artists are pushing the execs out and the execs are pissed. That's

this maybe the worst analysis of the current music company culture and why acapellas and stems are being released that ive read. good work.
Will08272 3:42 PM - 14 May, 2015
Shoot the idea to DJCity's twitter. It would be more on the wishful side to expect the major labels to release tracks in the stem format, but that doesnt mean the format can be used in more creative ways. This can apply to any pool and would be cool if they started adopting it if not one can easily do it on their own.

Create a stem file using the clean, dirty, Acapella & Instrumental of a track. It isnt the idea of having the individual parts of the track but it can be used for multiple things.

Clean up librarys, instead of having to have 4 versions of a track and an intro version. One file no confusion or extra files to choose from. Be creative with mixes, quick acapella echo out, drop quickly to the instrumental and throw another acapella on or vice versa quickly remix the current song with the acapella and another instrumental then back to the original, the possibilities are endless.

Getting the songs to be exported and submitted via AAC maybe a bit of hassle but they can quickly be converted by the pool or yourself. Either way nothing but creativity and fun will be made and had with the format hopefully it is adopted quickly within other softwares or tracktor will gain a small boost in users. Could see also dedicated hardware being made to sell the feature aswell.
Will08272 3:47 PM - 14 May, 2015
*Shot the idea to DJcity's twitter. Also for the guys from other pools that frequent the threads or those who have connections with them maybe that can be forwarded on to them. One can do this on their own but it would add some appeal to individual pools depending on the type of stems they create doesn't necessarily have to be in the way I suggested, could be remixes/edits of a track in the stem aswell, Hell even merging tracks that mix well together and maybe the same time. Or create mini mixes of tracks inside the same stem file or even full mixes, it really is endless whatelse can be done.
Will08272 3:11 PM - 15 May, 2015
Just thought of another great use of stems, for those that love to make blends, now you can have 3 different blends in one track. I listen to instrumentals all alot during work and having had the previous ideas it occurred to me then also. I really think once people get their hands on the stem editor software and it starts getting wider exposure it is gonna make alot of eyes turn in traktors direction. It is nice of them to make it something open but they will have a nice strong hold software wise since it will be the first of the major applications where the user has access to it.
Dj Wunder 12:18 AM - 18 May, 2015
+ on all accounts Will08272
Pop-I 3:24 PM - 27 May, 2015
Getting support for Stems and hardware with controls for four channels pr deck would be a dream come true.
If serato decides not to support this format I actually might consider moving over to the enemy (also known as traktor)...
Christ beats I. 8:52 AM - 28 July, 2015
Quote:
Getting support for Stems and hardware with controls for four channels pr deck would be a dream come true.
If serato decides not to support this format I actually might consider moving over to the enemy (also known as traktor)...

I can see that being a consideration for a lot of people including myself.
deejdave 1:50 AM - 29 July, 2015
Why not use both? I try to keep things open by using all DJ software I can get my hands on.
DJ Jonasty 3:26 AM - 29 July, 2015
I'm looking forward to stems I think. Although I'm not interested in buying additional hardware to use them. If I can map Maschine then that will be ok.

I love and use both softwares almost equally depending on gig.
Christ beats I. 7:07 AM - 29 July, 2015
Quote:
Why not use both? I try to keep things open by using all DJ software I can get my hands on.

I agree but don't really wish to chop and change software myself. I was only a consideration for me, a possibility. Investing a further £300 plus just to use Stems is not something I am in a rush to do as it would mean getting my hands on an S2 MK2 and a F1 (to be clinical about it). But saying that I can see a future hardware update on the horizon if Serato support Stems. Just have to wait and see!
deejdave 9:07 PM - 29 July, 2015
I suppose if it meant purchasing new gear then yes I see your point. Most hardware is supported by Traktor though. If you have a DDJ-SX, SZ, DJM mixer, cdj etc. you can simply purchase software and go. Kinda like VDJ.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:52 PM - 29 July, 2015
I stand by my opinion that STEMS will go down, under the bridge, as one if the biggest disappointments to happen in modern djing
Christ beats I. 10:27 PM - 29 July, 2015
It will be a typical format before long this is what I meant when I said it is much like turntablism. It will have a certain predictability after a while. But I would imagine that for the short term it will be exciting for many.
Christ beats I. 10:30 PM - 29 July, 2015
Quote:
I suppose if it meant purchasing new gear then yes I see your point. Most hardware is supported by Traktor though. If you have a DDJ-SX, SZ, DJM mixer, cdj etc. you can simply purchase software and go. Kinda like VDJ.

I use a Reloop Terminal mix 4 with a Neon....and I currently cannot see any room for Stems!
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:00 AM - 30 July, 2015
Quote:
It will be a typical format before long this is what I meant when I said it is much like turntablism.

See I disagree. I do not see this ever taking off because unlike turnablism, which requires no permission or special format to perform, this system requires the artist to provide the pieces for the file format to work. So right off the back I do not see many hiphop artists going out of their way to provide the stems (and I don't see many hiphop dis caring about it either). That just leaves the EDM scene where you will just have to keep your fingers crossed that your fave producer decides he WANTS thousands of controller kiddys destroying the tracks he worked hard to produce.
deejdave 1:47 AM - 30 July, 2015
While I wouldn't put it quite like this I do agree it won't me by any means mainstream. This IMO is a good thing for the very reason of the EDM "DJMe2's" and controller kiddies.

That being said with Beatport being 100% behind this I highly doubt this will be a hard to find basis.

The one thing I certainly agree on is that Hip Hop DJ's probably will not be on board with this. This comes as no surprise though. I don't think it is even being marketed toward hip hop DJ's. Furthermore there is nothing the Hip Hop DJ community could do as a whole to make or break any DJ product or service these days. The odds are very much in their favor by marketing toward the other genres, no?

ALLL that being said I do also agree (as I said) that this will not be the wave of any future. Just happens to be something we will see in the future.
DJ Remy USA 2:22 PM - 30 July, 2015
Quote:
I stand by my opinion that STEMS will go down, under the bridge, as one if the biggest disappointments to happen in modern djing

I kinda agree here actually I dont ever see people really wanting you to remix on the fly there favorite songs all night. I mean yea this is cool for a few transitions no doubt but there would have to be a change in music culture for this type of DJing to become a dancefloor norm.
DJ Remy USA 2:24 PM - 30 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
It will be a typical format before long this is what I meant when I said it is much like turntablism.

See I disagree. I do not see this ever taking off because unlike turnablism, which requires no permission or special format to perform, this system requires the artist to provide the pieces for the file format to work. So right off the back I do not see many hiphop artists going out of their way to provide the stems (and I don't see many hiphop dis caring about it either). That just leaves the EDM scene where you will just have to keep your fingers crossed that your fave producer decides he WANTS thousands of controller kiddys destroying the tracks he worked hard to produce.

This, I feel like stems is joke aimed at getting DJs to shell out cash for something 90% of music listeners on the dancefloor just wont even vibe too. I could be wrong tho
Pop-I 2:25 PM - 30 July, 2015
For me who plays a lot of reggae and dancehall and somtimes fills in as a selector for artists and want to play my own productions this would be very very very usefull.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:38 PM - 30 July, 2015
Quote:

I won't go that far. It won't be as big as it could because there will not be full participation from all artists. It will be a very segmented market. That will be the failure.

I do think it is a great idea & concept though.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:11 PM - 30 July, 2015
Quote:
For me who plays a lot of reggae and dancehall and somtimes fills in as a selector for artists and want to play my own productions this would be very very very usefull.

For your own productions this may be a good tool, but outside of your own work....
how many raggae/dancegall artists do you think will provide this file format?
Logisticalstyles 3:19 PM - 30 July, 2015
There has actually been a similar concept going on for a while now. Converse has a program called RubberTracks where artists go in to the studio and have recording sessions. The results of the recording sessions are exported as Stems. You can get the bassline from a session and use it in your own production Royalty Free. This is mostly for Producers but I guess these days most DJs want to produce a track of thier own or even just produce a remix.

Here's a link to the website:
www.conversesamplelibrary.com
Pop-I 3:19 PM - 30 July, 2015
For your own productions this may be a good tool, but outside of your own work....

Yeah you definitely have a point there. From Jamaica it will take some years I guess. But since a lot of the riddims are produced by producers in Europe who also produce other genres I think it will be at least some releases coming pretty quick.

But yeah I see your point
Mr. Goodkat 9:15 PM - 30 July, 2015
i see traktor as being big with house/techno crowds so maybe they can get a few big names to jump on board.
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:35 PM - 30 July, 2015
This is definitely geared and being sold to underground house/techno heads. Dnb and bass music will more than likely join in on the fun too.
It is not for the hip hop/top 40 crowd mostly because the big wig record labels won't be able to make money off of this. Sad really. Fortunately for me I love underground house and techno and I get to reap the benefits of this technology.

There are already a huge amount of well respected underground labels on board with this and its going to change the game in that world. It will succeed without needing go outside of that circle.
deejdave 9:46 PM - 30 July, 2015
Agreed. Trust that there will be no shortage of content with giants Beatport and N.I. strongly endorsing this.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:49 PM - 30 July, 2015
Quote:
Agreed. Trust that there will be no shortage of content with giants Beatport and N.I. strongly endorsing this.

I simply disagree with this. I think out the gate you may see a healthy bit of material but I feel thats as far as it will go.
Mr. Goodkat 10:33 PM - 30 July, 2015
Quote:
underground house and techno

or as bezzle would call it, 'edm'.
deejdave 10:49 PM - 30 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I simply disagree with this. I think out the gate you may see a healthy bit of material but I feel thats as far as it will go.

Time will tell.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:22 AM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Correct
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:23 AM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Correct

in fact I already said it

Quote:

That just leaves the EDM scene where you will just have to keep your fingers crossed that your fave producer decides he WANTS thousands of controller kiddys destroying the tracks he worked hard to produce.
REDSELECTER 4:03 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

from Jamaica - close to none for reasons ranging from "afraid to release the instrumental or acapella" to "stems???"

outside of Jamaica - a few, but people are going to have to make an active effort when a lot of reggae doesn't even go to stores like Beatport that will carry stems

that said, i am excited about it for electronic music
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:50 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

from Jamaica - close to none for reasons ranging from "afraid to release the instrumental or acapella" to "stems???"

outside of Jamaica - a few, but people are going to have to make an active effort when a lot of reggae doesn't even go to stores like Beatport that will carry stems

I dout a significant # of electronic producers will be eagre to hand out their stems in the same way the reggae artists will. Thats why people get so excited at remix contests that include stems.
REDSELECTER 5:15 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I dout a significant # of electronic producers will be eagre to hand out their stems in the same way the reggae artists will. Thats why people get so excited at remix contests that include stems.

for mainstream EDM crap yes, but I can see the techno/tech house/minimal/etc world digging this
DJ Val-BKNY11203 7:08 PM - 3 August, 2015
Stems have now hit Traxsource. www.traxsource.com
Mr. Goodkat 8:14 PM - 3 August, 2015
bezzle wrong again
deejdave 9:13 PM - 3 August, 2015
There was no chance of him being right. Have you seen the list of record labels on board with this?
deejdave 9:16 PM - 3 August, 2015
BTW I just pulled out my S8 and am downloading Traktor 2.9 as we speak!! Very excited to try Stems and I will let you guys know how great it is in a bit LOL. For real though very excited!
DJ Irv 9:21 PM - 3 August, 2015
Quote:
BTW I just pulled out my S8 and am downloading Traktor 2.9 as we speak!!

Brave of you. I'd wait for other people try it first.
deejdave 9:25 PM - 3 August, 2015
I hear ya.............. BUT I am only installing on one of my MacBook Pro's for now. 2.8.1 was actually not all that bad for me so that's where the others will stay for now. Wish it were more like Serato where I could have multiple versions with no extra work.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:26 PM - 3 August, 2015
Quote:
bezzle wrong again

How?
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:32 PM - 3 August, 2015
Quote:
There was no chance of him being right. Have you seen the list of record labels on board with this?

Clearly you didnt understand my argument to begin with BUT even with that large list of labels and the amount of time between enlisting those labels to now.....there are under 100 tracks to choose from on that site and none of those are from big artists.
deejdave 9:41 PM - 3 August, 2015
That would be Traxsource's bread & butter. Check out beatport which there are plenty of more Stems and from more "big name" mainstream "edm" artists. I am sorting through the tracks now and building the starting library. The prices are actually cheaper than I expected. I get WAV files as it is from Beatport (whenever I have to purchase from them) as it is so I am only paying like $.60 more per song.

I get your argument. I just happen to disagree. I can honesty say the odds are seemingly against you though :)

Remember this is day one. 500+ songs is not all that bad. I am hopeful and I wish them luck although I doubt they need it.
REDSELECTER 9:42 PM - 3 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Clearly you didnt understand my argument to begin with BUT even with that large list of labels and the amount of time between enlisting those labels to now.....there are under 100 tracks to choose from on that site and none of those are from big artists.

Beatport has 349 Stem packs

Lots of big artists for the genres - Fedde Le Grand, Nadastrom, My Digital Enemy, Ninetoes, Riva Star, Scuba, etc.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:45 PM - 3 August, 2015
Quote:
bezzle wrong again

Quote:

Lets look at everything ive claimed so far:

Quote:

Yet to be proven right or wrong but so far Ive seen under 100 tracks since this was announced in march and I dont know anyone/havent seen anyone who is using them.
So this has not been disproven yet.

Quote:

I do not see this ever taking off because unlike turnablism, which requires no permission or special format to perform, this system requires the artist to provide the pieces for the file format to work. So right off the back I do not see many hiphop artists going out of their way to provide the stems (and I don't see many hiphop dis caring about it either). That just leaves the EDM scene where you will just have to keep your fingers crossed that your fave producer decides he WANTS thousands of controller kiddys destroying the tracks he worked hard to produce.

How many hop hop artists have stemmed tracks available on that list? How about reggae? What big producers have tracks out? Does your fave producer have a stem track out?

So this has not been disproven either.

So what exactly am I wrong about again? My opinion is that this wont be a big thing and will not be a game changer like people are claiming. I never said it would never comr out. Sure some artists will release stems, the same way some release material (stems) to have their song remixed. And of course labels will sign on, theyd miss money not supporting but just attaching your name to the format does not inducate the quality or quanity of the suppory.

When using stems is as common as using an instrumental or a product that is a go to for a great number of djs THEN you can say I was wrong
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:46 PM - 3 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lots of big artists for the genres - Fedde Le Grand, Nadastrom, My Digital Enemy, Ninetoes, Riva Star, Scuba, etc.

Cool....any sales figures?
REDSELECTER 9:49 PM - 3 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Actually I run a distribution company based in Jamaica, we are doing stems for a number of big reggae producers, so I will let you know in a few months.

How's that?

And by the way, do you know really sales figures on tracks in general, cause if not how would you really compare them? Your SoundScan account maybe?
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:55 PM - 3 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Where are you seeing these?
REDSELECTER 9:57 PM - 3 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Where are you seeing these?

pro.beatport.com
deejdave 9:57 PM - 3 August, 2015
We should probably define success and failure BTW. The Remix decks in Traktor were a HUGE success yet not many people around here even know what they do does not take anything away from its impact though.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:58 PM - 3 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Actually I run a distribution company based in Jamaica, we are doing stems for a number of big reggae producers, so I will let you know in a few months.

How's that?

Cool, looking forward to seeing some numbers :)

Quote:

And by the way, do you know really sales figures on tracks in general, cause if not how would you really compare them? Your SoundScan account maybe?

Sure soundscan would work. My argument is against this format becoming a "game changer" so I shouldnt really have to compare it to much, the numbers should speak for themselves. Since you run a dist company, could you provide the number of purchases of a track dl VS the number of purchases/downloads for the stem version of the same track?
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:01 PM - 3 August, 2015
Quote:
We should probably define success and failure BTW. The Remix decks in Traktor were a HUGE success yet not many people around here even know what they do does not take anything away from its impact though.

How are you defining the success of the remix decks?
deejdave 10:09 PM - 3 August, 2015
Quote:
How are you defining the success of the remix decks?

Exactly my point. By the impact they made. There is no monetary way to measure yet their impact in the right communities is pretty great. The word "game changer" in itself is just another slang term thrown around and it is open for interpretation. At least its not something as dumb as "jawns" which could quite literally mean anything I am told (LMAO BTW) but at the same time I am not even going to try and put an actual measurement of when the "game" is changed. The only point I would like to make is if it is still around in a few years then it was successful enough to not be dismissed. Either way early adopter and front line soldier right here <<<<<<<<<<<<<< as per usual LOL. I literally LIVE for this stuff and I absolutely love progression.
Mr Wilks 1:28 AM - 4 August, 2015
I'm tempted into the S8 now they are on sale (£699). I play various types of house (Toolroom etc) and and Stems is something I'd like to try. The update is downloading now...

You still have fun with your S8 Dave?

It was that or the Pioneer XDJ-RX as I want a new toy.
deejdave 1:44 AM - 4 August, 2015
I actually busted it out today. I spent almost $70 on Stems and have been giving it a go. Lotta things can be done but TBH I am more excited about the stems creator tool which has yet to be released.

Literally SOO much going on though. Between Stems, the news here with the 909 MKII and to be completely honest putting a lot of work into Djay Pro and last but not least my 9to5 is cranking!!

Speaking of Toolroom though that was basically all I purchased today. Toolroom Ibiza 2013, 2014 & 2015 releases.
Mr Wilks 1:56 AM - 4 August, 2015
There is sooooo much going on! I'll agree on the Stems creator too. It will be great to have some tools to create our own.

I'd be all over them Toolroom Stems. We booked Toolroom over in Zante a few years back... This year is my first year I've not gone over and they've booked Mark Knight again. Gutted.

I'll be watching with interest. I really like the idea and would be stoked if Serato showed them some love at some point. Combined with a pumped up SP-6 (like a sequencer) it would be impressive.
deejdave 2:25 AM - 4 August, 2015
You speak of my dream right there!! My absolute dream would be Serato rockin' their own version of the S8 (or D2) either by Pioneer or N.I.'s actual versions. I would also love to see Stems support, scrolling waveforms on CDJ-2000 Nexus's, Midi out, Spotify support (I know lame right? actually VERY handy) and re-mapping of native controllers. These items covered and you have the happiest deejdave ever seen by mankind!!!

One thing I do like to stress even in the midst of all things new etc is Serato is the only place where I truly feel I am heard. It is also the only place I feel is really about DJing as an art as well as the fun and I feel it's members as well as staff reflects upon these concepts. THIS is why all else is/will be second in line for me. It also does not hurt that Serato is also the most stable platform as well as best library management I use. I know you and I have spoken of my library before and remember it ALL starts (and ends) here at Serato level.

Right now I am on cloud 9 with Stems and the Rekordbox announcement. What makes it more exciting is Serato always manages to outshine and you know what I am borderline scared of how awesome their next moves will be. Cheers to the future!!
DJ Remy USA 9:47 AM - 4 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

this was the point I was making. Stems for indie electronic lables yea of course I mean why wouldnt they, its a indie electronic label but I doubt I'll see stems for any commercial titles but I could be wrong, just dont see commerical labels digging this idea. Just think about it you already get bitched at by soundcloud for having copywritted music do you really think stems isnt copywrite infringement to big record labels companies? Yes stems is surely fits their copy write infringement stick and thus I dont see it for commerical labels and artists but hey I could be wrong
Mr Wilks 10:32 AM - 4 August, 2015
According to N.I there's over 600 Stems available on day 1.

djtechtools.com

“Today over 600 Stems tracks are available from partnering online music stores, with new Stems releases coming out every week. When the Stem Creator Tool comes out in a few weeks, the number of Stem releases should again increase rapidly.”

Not too shabby for a launch day. How many games launched on day 1 for the PS4/XBOne?

Content on day one is pretty good. With new Stems launched constantly and six major online retailers are signing on starting today: Beatport, Bleep, Juno, Traxsource, whatpeopleplay, and Wasabeat.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:35 PM - 4 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

this was the point I was making. Stems for indie electronic lables yea of course I mean why wouldnt they, its a indie electronic label but I doubt I'll see stems for any commercial titles but I could be wrong, just dont see commerical labels digging this idea. Just think about it you already get bitched at by soundcloud for having copywritted music do you really think stems isnt copywrite infringement to big record labels companies? Yes stems is surely fits their copy write infringement stick and thus I dont see it for commerical labels and artists but hey I could be wrong

I agree
deejdave 1:57 PM - 4 August, 2015
I could see this being a reality but then again as I said earlier I don't even think this would appeal to other DJ's. If it is not spinning in a circle with a few samples to drop it has no place in some DJ's sets LOL.

In terms of the infringement you do realize it is the record labels themselves releasing the Stems as well as the one's profiting from it correct? Hence not infringing on anything. As far as creating your own stems I could see your point IF you were selling them or distributing them. As far as creating your own using material you have already paid for? Again no infringement.
DJ Remy USA 9:11 PM - 4 August, 2015
Quote:
I could see this being a reality but then again as I said earlier I don't even think this would appeal to other DJ's. If it is not spinning in a circle with a few samples to drop it has no place in some DJ's sets LOL.

In terms of the infringement you do realize it is the record labels themselves releasing the Stems as well as the one's profiting from it correct? Hence not infringing on anything. As far as creating your own stems I could see your point IF you were selling them or distributing them. As far as creating your own using material you have already paid for? Again no infringement.

Right but these are indie labels, come on its beatport. They don't push anything mainstream out of beatport except for mainstream electronic artists if there really is such a thing. What happens when someone finds a way to reverse engineer the stem tool and start creating stems out of content that didn't have stems available in the first place (its gonna happen, there is already DIY- ACAP, etc) Im not saying stems isn't cool it is very cool indeed Im a producer Im gonna eat this shit up, but when it comes to real commercial artists (Big Sean, Taylor Swift, etc) I don't see them or their teams eating up the idea of letting DJs instantly remix their shit on the fly, they already don't like us mixing their regular tunes in a DJ set on soundcloud. I think its gonna be split between indie and commerical
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:27 PM - 4 August, 2015
Quote:

Im a producer Im gonna eat this shit up

See im the other way. I produce and where as using this for my own personal use might be cool, I wouldn't want all these fuck tard wavys ought there taking the song I spend hours mastering apart so they can take the bassline I spent days tweaking to put over their shitty attempt at a remix
Mr. Goodkat 9:40 PM - 4 August, 2015
but what if an actual real big name producer or nobody kid comes out with a remix of your track that gets big or noticed. that seems like it could be a good thing.
deejdave 9:42 PM - 4 August, 2015
Quote:
I don't see them or their teams eating up the idea of letting DJs instantly remix their shit on the fly, they already don't like us mixing their regular tunes in a DJ set on soundcloud. I think its gonna be split between indie and commerical

I agree but as mentioned earlier I don't see a market for this anyway. TBH I think what we will be seeing (as well as are seeing here as we speak) is a split on the DJ end even more than ever before.

Lets be honest here I don't think this is revolutionary or anything I just think is is something of real substance and worth looking into. The way I see it is I have two choices. I can try it out for myself and see what I can personally make of it. This ensures that I am ready to employ the use of Stems in the likely event that this does reach some level of success. The other option is to just keep my head in the sand and hope this and anything else that comes along fails. Which brings me to:
Quote:
See im the other way. I produce and where as using this for my own personal use might be cool, I wouldn't want all these fuck tard wavys ought there taking the song I spend hours mastering apart so they can take the bassline I spent days tweaking to put over their shitty attempt at a remix

This is both one of the most closed minded approaches I have heard to music as well as the opposite of how things are actually approached by most professionals as far as I can see. Trust I mean no shots fired or anything and am simply speaking of my observations on words that are actually spoken on social media sites and the like.

I do believe this whole Stems format will most likely be a step above "fuck tard" status. Keep in mind this is not simply two TT's and a mixer or a cheap controller going from a to b. This is about as in depth as things has gotten thus far in terms of music files. This is not VDJ users or even the most basic Traktor users utilizing this IMO.

The way I see it is the more this DOES become remixed or just used in general the better it is for me as long as the content was purchased legally. Not for nothing it would be an honor for DJ's to consider a track I made worthy enough to invest both their money and time into by putting their own personal flair. Some of the best remixes ever have been made by this approach.

I can honestly say I have only seen humbling words of appreciation whenever an artist's piece is remixed by someone and I can say I see why. Keep in mind this is not like a painting that someone else gets their hands on and it is ruined for life. The original is still intact and if you don't like it............. well you get the point.

In the end everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Some are more open than others I suppose is what it comes down to. In any even I am thinking we will both be safe as I highly doubt this will even be utilized by bedroom DJ's or the like so hopefully the "fuck tards" will stick to the more traditional A/B mixing as they tend to and TBH this opens my eyes in that maybe it would be beneficial for many if this were to stay "closed" or small so to speak.
deejdave 9:42 PM - 4 August, 2015
Quote:
but what if an actual real big name producer or nobody kid comes out with a remix of your track that gets big or noticed. that seems like it could be a good thing.

Quote:
Some of the best remixes ever have been made by this approach.

Agreed.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:48 PM - 4 August, 2015
Quote:

How does them getting big off my work equal a good thing for me?
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:50 PM - 4 August, 2015
Quote:

I have heard to music as well as the opposite of how things are actually approached by most professionals as far as I can see.

How many of your favorite artists are freely offering up the stems to your fave tracks to do with as you please?
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:53 PM - 4 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Agreed.

Did you just quote yourself and agree...
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:54 PM - 4 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I have heard to music as well as the opposite of how things are actually approached by most professionals as far as I can see.

How many of your favorite artists are freely offering up the stems to your fave tracks to do with as you please?

and btw I mean stems like tracked out pieces of a song, not the native instruments thing
Mr. Goodkat 9:56 PM - 4 August, 2015
because you arent big now? unless you are going by m-bezzle and are really hardwell?

you would still be the original artist, which would gain recognition and booking at some level most like higher in stature and pay than you are currently making playing rap music, which seem not to like that much.

tru story: A guy in the 90s rave era that wasnt that great a of dj or producer of breakbeats and was putting out some ok records. My homie was, who was putting out records in 91 and is a master dj (and is now the dj for a very famous artist that maybe a serato icon), does a dope remix for the avg guy, that charted nationwide and basically made the other guys career, who went on to play with some big time breaks artists and had a good 10 year run.

thats how.
deejdave 9:56 PM - 4 August, 2015
Well let's be realistic here. Stems as in a format happened yesterday. How many artists are freely offering up stems (as in individual files of the separate parts in a song) by definition? TONS!!

Beatport literally has a spot for this with constant running contests and ANYONE can already get these stems as they wish to do what they wish, how they wish.

play.beatport.com

And this is by NO means rare. Remix contests happen ALL the time.................and
Quote:
Mr. Goodkat 9:56 PM - 4 August, 2015
'which you seem not to like that much.'
deejdave 9:57 PM - 4 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Agreed.

Did you just quote yourself and agree...

No this was agreeing by means of quoting something that was similar in nature. Context clues are essential here.
Mr. Goodkat 10:00 PM - 4 August, 2015
Quote:
My homie, who was putting out records in 91

grammar is bad, i know
DJ Remy USA 11:15 AM - 5 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Im a producer Im gonna eat this shit up

thats going to happen and you really should be flattered if someone rips your shit for their own project. In fact I regularly rip chord progressions, and riffs to get inspired on new projects. I see your point tho you dont want someone just taking it and not making it better.
DJ Remy USA 11:20 AM - 5 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

How does them getting big off my work equal a good thing for me?

truth here plenty of artist rip lesser known talent and claim it as their own and the lesser known artist just doesnt have what it takes to protect his music, and then there is the you can copywrite a melody, or bassline, etc rule as well.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:13 PM - 5 August, 2015
Quote:
Well let's be realistic here. Stems as in a format happened yesterday. How many artists are freely offering up stems (as in individual files of the separate parts in a song) by definition? TONS!!

Beatport literally has a spot for this with constant running contests and ANYONE can already get these stems as they wish to do what they wish, how they wish.

play.beatport.com

And this is by NO means rare. Remix contests happen ALL the time.................and
Quote:

Im aware of this section of beatport. They offer about 3 stems per contest and 1 contest a month. Now lets compare that to how many producers/tracks are actually released a month. Thats not "tons" or even a significant percentage
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:18 PM - 5 August, 2015
Quote:

play.beatport.com

Quote:

Also heres an important thing to remember about the beatport play comp

Quote:

Participant hereby grants to Sponsor an irrevocable, fully-paid, perpetual world-wide license to reproduce, edit, adapt, copyright, publish, transfer, distribute, perform, stream, display and use any or all of the entries, without compensation to you or any third party. Entries will not be acknowledged or returned. 

All rights in and to the stems are reserved by the Sponsor (or copyright holder if different than Sponsor). All entrants, including the winner, will not be entitled to make their remixes derived from or incorporating the stems provided for participation in the Contest available in any way (other than as uploaded for the purposes of the Contest). 

of course theyll give out the stems when they're claiming financial right to the work you produce
deejdave 9:14 PM - 5 August, 2015
The compensation could come in other ways. Have you seen what is offered to some of the winners? It typically includes some sort of exposure that would broaden anyone's horizons.

As far as the amount of stems keep in mind that was an example and I didn't see the need or ability to point out all so I sought the help of Yahoo and this was the first thing that came up www.remixcomps.com which had more than a few current contests all providing stems. It is also possible to contact the record label personally you know. I have done this before and furthermore I was not required to provide any compensation or information as to how it was going to be used.

On the bright side here the stems content I have purchase thus far is pretty awesome. Between this, the new Pioneer mixer, and a few other things this has been a great week. Got the dust off the S8 even. As a matter of fact if it weren't for my SX breaking this would have been a perfect week LOL.
DJ Jonasty 2:32 AM - 6 August, 2015
Bezzle is hands down the most negative person on the Internet.

Carry on stems and all.
Taipanic 1:53 PM - 6 August, 2015
An FYI, stems are packaged in an mp4 container. Will play as a normal track in most software, unless that software is named RecordBox. Almost bought a few last night inadvertently but did not as I was doing a gig on CDJs, no computer and wouldn't have been able to use them.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:58 PM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:

Carry on stems and all.

Let me know when im proved wrong :)
Will08272 2:10 PM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Carry on stems and all.

Its just the magnitude of your negativity which causes what you say to come to fruition therefore note allowing nature to take its course and organically make (insert thing in which you feel negative about here) to fail or succeed based on its own merits. I think this is what people are trying to say.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:33 PM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Carry on stems and all.

Its just the magnitude of your negativity which causes what you say to come to fruition therefore note allowing nature to take its course and organically make (insert thing in which you feel negative about here) to fail or succeed based on its own merits. I think this is what people are trying to say.

.....so now its my fault stems are arent gonna blow up? lol
Will08272 3:26 PM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Carry on stems and all.

Pretty much.
phatbob 3:39 PM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:
An FYI, stems are packaged in an mp4 container. Will play as a normal track in most software, unless that software is named RecordBox. Almost bought a few last night inadvertently but did not as I was doing a gig on CDJs, no computer and wouldn't have been able to use them.

Stems files (obviously just the main audio stream), do load into Rekordbox and play in CDJs just fine. I tested that specifically before producing my DJcity video about Stems, which will be out later today.
Taipanic 4:30 PM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Stems files (obviously just the main audio stream), do load into Rekordbox and play in CDJs just fine. I tested that specifically before producing my DJcity video about Stems, which will be out later today.

Cool, good to know, I stand corrected. RekordBox will not play regular mp4 files though, correct? I have not been able to use any of the video files I have (just as audio).
phatbob 5:10 PM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:

Cool, good to know, I stand corrected. RekordBox will not play regular mp4 files though, correct? I have not been able to use any of the video files I have (just as audio).

Likewise for me, which is why I made sure to test it after I read that it should work.

I guess RB turns it's nose up at the video stream, not the container.
Mr. Goodkat 5:55 PM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Carry on stems and all.

Pretty much.

:crying emoji:
phatbob 10:15 PM - 6 August, 2015
Video is live if you're interested, guys:

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Remy USA 11:04 PM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:
Video is live if you're interested, guys:

Watchwww.youtube.com

I actually really like this for producers, and think about the mashup's and edits DJs are gonna create with it, you can make a stem file containing a few of your favorite tracks and you could technically quick mix in a whole entire new fashion.

Ok after your demo Im a little bit more interested than before but we need the stem creator tool, but I think they know when that tool comes out DJs are gonna start abusing commercial music within the mix and maybe just maybe NI, is holding off until they get some legal stuff straighten out so they dont get sued by a major publishing company or record label.
phatbob 11:20 PM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:

I actually really like this for producers, and think about the mashup's and edits DJs are gonna create with it, you can make a stem file containing a few of your favorite tracks and you could technically quick mix in a whole entire new fashion.

Ok after your demo Im a little bit more interested than before but we need the stem creator tool, but I think they know when that tool comes out DJs are gonna start abusing commercial music within the mix and maybe just maybe NI, is holding off until they get some legal stuff straighten out so they dont get sued by a major publishing company or record label.

I've been communicating with NI whilst making the video, and there's really nothing more to the creator tool not being out, than its just not ready.

One thing I didn't have time to mention in the video, but might interest Serato-only peeps, is that you can use QuickTime Pro to not only view what's in a file, but also extract the individual stems, to use in a DAW or whatever. ;)
DJ Remy USA 11:52 PM - 6 August, 2015
seeing as how you have the connect its ready enough to make stems with right now so what exactly is not ready? I understand what you are saying NI is company and they have a process for releasing things.
phatbob 12:02 AM - 7 August, 2015
As far as I know, it's capable of making stems (obviously, they've made a load), but it isn't ready for public use in terms of GUI and stuff. Just not finished yet.

As I said in the video, I think that's a real shame, but I'd rather it was finished when it comes out and working 100%, rather than be rushed - as with any software.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:35 AM - 7 August, 2015
Good Lord, if that Creator tool comes out, this "Blend Game" is gonna be BO-NAN-NUZ.

Great.
Hyjinx 5:50 PM - 11 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I've been communicating with NI whilst making the video, and there's really nothing more to the creator tool not being out, than its just not ready.

One thing I didn't have time to mention in the video, but might interest Serato-only peeps, is that you can use QuickTime Pro to not only view what's in a file, but also extract the individual stems, to use in a DAW or whatever. ;)
Hyjinx 5:51 PM - 11 August, 2015
Did not know you could do that with QuickTime Pro....So you can extract the acapellas?
deejdave 9:46 PM - 11 August, 2015
Not too many acapellas with the music supported by Stems but I don't see why not. As long as the file is divided that way.
deejdave 1:30 AM - 10 September, 2015
Seems Flow (by MIK) has jumped into STEMS flowdj.com Still hoping Serato follows suit.
deejdave 1:31 AM - 10 September, 2015
But oh yeah Mac only LOL.
Mr Wilks 2:14 AM - 10 September, 2015
This is really interesting. I'm glad another company is showing some Stem love as I'm still having fun with them.

Let's sit back and hope for the big players to do it now...
Mr. Goodkat 2:35 AM - 10 September, 2015
''An energy knob that controls how much your audience will dance.''

gotta be the dumbest thing ive ever heard.
deejdave 2:39 AM - 10 September, 2015
Yeah their pitches are a bit "off" LOL. Not only that how can you forget this one? "

All our award-winning Mixed In Key algorithms are also part of Flow. You will get the best KEY, ENERGY LEVEL and CUE POINT analysis in the world."

Uhh BEST Cue Point Analysis? Have you SEEN the comments of people actually using it? I would say trust them but I have tried myself and the failure is EPIC!

That being said the Stems integration seems about as good as it can be without dedicated hardware and visual feedback.
Mr. Goodkat 8:37 PM - 10 September, 2015
cue point analysis is awful. its weird because i used it a few times when i first got it on some simple tracks and it kinda worked, but i did a bigger batch and the results were overall about 95% awful.

just like random spots. the last few times i also noticed that its like 1/2 second before the actual spot its supposed to be in.