Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Codec Question

Code:E 6:44 PM - 24 March, 2015
I'm trying to learn more about codecs and encoding.
I work in a car audio shop and I was trying to get my music videos to play on my car deck via USB. Well I got it to work but I don't understand why. I had to convert my files for mpeg streamclip, again i don't know why this work.

scontent-sea.xx.fbcdn.net

In this photo on the left you can see the Xtendamix file and on the left You see it after I ran it though mpeg streamclip. I didnt change any settings, I just selected export to mpeg4. Why would these work now? I see some codecs are missing in the convert one.

Anyway, any of you awesome video producers feel like sharing any insight that would be great!
djpuma_gemini 8:27 PM - 24 March, 2015
Did you do a file save as or an actual conversion process?
djpuma_gemini 8:28 PM - 24 March, 2015
FYi, xtendamix uses sorenson squeeze as I do and I've had issues trying to use a tag and rename with files that have been created in squeeze.
Download a program called mediainfo (mac) and see if it tells you more about the file.
Code:E 10:47 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Did you do a file save as or an actual conversion process?

Actual conversion I think.
Quote:
Download a program called mediainfo (mac) and see if it tells you more about the file.

Will do and I will get back to you.
DJMark 11:27 PM - 24 March, 2015
All you should really need to do is open in MPEG Streamclip and re-save (not re-encode).

Takes a tiny fraction of the time, and of course doesn't subject the audio/video to degradation.
Code:E 11:34 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
All you should really need to do is open in MPEG Streamclip and re-save (not re-encode).

Takes a tiny fraction of the time, and of course doesn't subject the audio/video to degradation.

Ok So I just tried that and it worked..... I'm so very surprised. Why did it work? And ya thats way faster!!!!!!
DJMark 11:50 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Ok So I just tried that and it worked..... I'm so very surprised. Why did it work?

Something funky with either the file structure, tagging or both.

I do the re-save with all files from all sources other than VJ-Pro. Saves me from a lot of random bullshit.
skinnyguy 3:33 AM - 25 March, 2015
Quote:

I do the re-save with all files from all sources other than VJ-Pro. Saves me from a lot of random bullshit.

same here.
djpuma_gemini 4:46 AM - 25 March, 2015
You lose all the metadata though.
That's the only part I hate.
Code:E 4:54 AM - 25 March, 2015
Quote:

what kind of data?
Code:E 4:56 AM - 25 March, 2015
cue points and serato info? or like tags?
djpuma_gemini 5:09 AM - 25 March, 2015
^all the above.
DJMark 6:36 AM - 25 March, 2015
Quote:

It's okay with me. Often the included tagging is worse than useless anyway.
DJ DisGrace 1:09 PM - 25 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

same here.

I started doing this with my remux edits, as well. Was getting some weird corrupt file action.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 5:37 PM - 25 March, 2015
Quote:

Thank you for this!! Had a few problem videos myself and this seemed to have fixed it 👍