Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

SL3 Recording is Distorted

BushidoJA 6:37 AM - 6 March, 2015
Hey Whats up!

I am having issues with the quality of my recording regarldess if using Serato DJ, or Scratchlive and would really appreciate some help. I am able to record but playblack is distorted with a lot of base. This is my setup:

Dip switch from turntables to SL3 are set to phono (verified 100%)
Dip switch for AUX is set to Line (verified 100%)
RCA cable going from mixer recording to AUX(input) on the SL3
Sratchlive is set to AUX and gain levels are green just barely yellow no red on the mixer or software
Serato DJ is set to Channel 3 and gain levels are green just barely yellow no red on the mixer or software
There is a trim control on the back of my mixer that controls Master Output 1, and I have this turned down low. I have attached the PDF of the mixer incase you need it. www.reloop.com

Software
Serato DJ 1.7.3 and ScratchLive 2.5.0
Yosemite 10.10.2

Hardware
Rane SL3
Tables: Numark TT 500
Mixer: Reloop RMX-40 DSP BLACKFIRE EDITION
www.reloop.com
Computer: 13" MBPR 16GB

I am finding it hard to get better at mixing without being able to record a set, and have it critiqued. Any help I can get would be much appreciated.

Thanks
DJ Tecniq 7:49 AM - 6 March, 2015
I have an SL3 and never have had this problem but I'm only using Scratchlive. This video may help you though youtu.be
BushidoJA 1:46 AM - 7 March, 2015
Thanks DJ Tecniq I will take a look at the video. Its frustrating b/c I have checked everything.
BushidoJA 4:59 AM - 8 March, 2015
Video was essentially about setting up the SL3 so it did not help...thanks
DJ Tecniq 6:23 AM - 8 March, 2015
Quote:
Video was essentially about setting up the SL3 so it did not help...thanks
Are you making sure your macs sound audio for recording is not clipping?
DJ Tecniq 6:33 AM - 8 March, 2015
Are you making sure the record volume in serato is not clipping? I've had my SL3 for a few yes now and never had a problem recording it always comes out very clean you must be doing something wrong👀😳
DJ Tecniq 6:34 AM - 8 March, 2015
Yes=yrs
BushidoJA 7:29 PM - 8 March, 2015
Hey DJ Tecniq the record volume is green not clipping. The master gain volume at the top is also turned down and also green. I am not sure what you mean about "mac sound audio for recording is not clipping". Where can I verify that? Thanks
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:36 PM - 8 March, 2015
as most record outs from mixers are set so you cannot change the output try connecting the master out rca into the sl3 aux in , make sure the sl3 is set to line and start recording, while recording try adjusting the main levels to be all not clipping and then adjust the trim on the back, listen to the output file to see if your changes did anything

as the record out is preset i think the trim knob is the issue so ssl will show green bcause of the output level already preset for the rec out
DJ Tecniq 4:16 AM - 9 March, 2015
A good idea would be to try the booth out instead of record out on the mixer or if you have any other channel try that. If you still get distorted audio then something is seriously wrong.
DJ Tecniq 4:18 AM - 9 March, 2015
Try also switching rca cables it's possibly the rca's are shot but even if so you'd hear distortion played out live as well and not just playback like you are mentioning.
BushidoJA 5:24 PM - 9 March, 2015
Hey DJ Sparky thanks for your response. My mixer has master out 1 and 2, and they both have independent volume controls. Master output 1 uses a line fader, and master 2 uses a knob. I first tried connecting RCA cables from master1 to AUX, but I got the same results. I then tried connecting master2 to AUX, and there was no distortion on playback. The only thing i noticed was the volume was low on playback even though the volume on my mac was turned up all the way. Do I need to turn up the trim or the independent volume control for master2?

Thanks for your help.
BushidoJA 5:26 PM - 9 March, 2015
Thanks for help DJ Tecniq. I just need help now making the recording louder without peaking on mixer, and software.
DJ Tecniq 7:30 PM - 9 March, 2015
Quote:
Thanks for help DJ Tecniq. I just need help now making the recording louder without peaking on mixer, and software.
Monitors up or speakers and master down on mixer.
marty b 2:13 PM - 28 June, 2017
I.m also having this problem.
My Set up
Technics 1200 mk2
djm 450 (brand new, Delivered yesterday)
Brand new rca cables
windows 7

Dip switches on SL3Box are all set to the correct positions
DJ Damn D-Rell 12:14 AM - 23 August, 2017
Quote:
I.m also having this problem.
My Set up
Technics 1200 mk2
djm 450 (brand new, Delivered yesterday)
Brand new rca cables
windows 7

Dip switches on SL3Box are all set to the correct positions

Whats going on man. I just had this problem and I just resolved it. Someone said it above but I forgot who. With your mixer, which i just looked at, make sure from your sl3 you have rca's going from the "aux in" to the "master 2" on your mixer. Make the dipswitch "3" set to line on the SL3 box. I have a rane 57sl im using and that is how mine is set. I take a little base out and i just set the levels to where the meter in the "record area" is staying green with a tad bit of yellow while playing music. The big difference was i had that 3 set to phono and not line. Once I did that everything was perfect.
marty b 12:26 PM - 5 November, 2017
yea, i had the dip switches switched to phono (DOH!)