DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Powered Speakers

Dj lowkee 7:57 PM - 5 March, 2015
trying to decide on some good powered speakers....
Jbl prx 612,615-ev elx 112p,115p or the qsc k12

Prefer not to use any subs, party's are around 100-150ppl 200 MAX
Dj lowkee 8:03 PM - 5 March, 2015
Any opinions are thanked
Certified Quality Entertainment 8:30 PM - 5 March, 2015
Why no subs?
Dj lowkee 8:46 PM - 5 March, 2015
I'm on a budget for certain reasons...But I would like to get one of these speakers tht have a great boom
rayjthedj 9:49 PM - 5 March, 2015
If you don't plan on using subs you will dramatically hinder your low end content genres, but if that is OK with you get a pair of Yamaha DXR15's. I use them for cheap clients and small headcounts. They perform better than anything in their price range, and many speakers that cost much more.

Buy the covers for them and use them from day one, the finish marks easy. I have over 50 gigs on mine and I love them, with the covers and how careful I am with them, they still look new.
dj_soo 11:03 PM - 5 March, 2015
What kind of parties? 15" tops will be fine for 150ish for a wedding style gig with not everyone on the dancefloor, but for proper dance party style gigs, subs will be better.
Dj lowkee 11:08 PM - 5 March, 2015
@dj_soo - more like wedding party's,graduation party's, anniversaries. Not everyone will be on the dance floor so I'm thinking of 2 ev elx115p will work. Would I need a extra speaker for tht amount of people and type of party's?
SG SOUNDS 12:03 AM - 6 March, 2015
DXR 15 will sound better than any of the speakers you listed..and they have great low end by themselves without a sub..plus a 7 year warranty...
dj_soo 4:09 AM - 6 March, 2015
Quote:
@dj_soo - more like wedding party's,graduation party's, anniversaries. Not everyone will be on the dance floor so I'm thinking of 2 ev elx115p will work. Would I need a extra speaker for tht amount of people and type of party's?

Yamaha DXR15s will be better than the ELX's
Joee 12:40 PM - 6 March, 2015
Quote:
Yamaha DXR15

in the $800 price range this is the best option if your not using subs
rayjthedj 3:06 PM - 6 March, 2015
I am an EV man, I guess the only one left since Joeeeeeeeeeee, jumped ship :)

I have lots of EV stuff, a trailer load, and I will tell you unless you buy ETX, which is much more expensive and heavy, the Yamaha DXR15 beats everything I have heard, that EV has to offer. Definitely beats ELX!
Dj lowkee 4:00 PM - 6 March, 2015
Decided on might as well get a sub, planning on buying the qsc k12s and a elx118 sub. (Still need to test the sub)
I could get the hook up on discounts at guitar center son might as well get a subwoofer
Joee 4:40 PM - 6 March, 2015
you decided to get a sub after all

why not the qsc kw181? or if you get the elx118p why not get the elx112p?

you may want to also look into the new ev ekx
www.electrovoice.com
Dj lowkee 5:05 PM - 6 March, 2015
The kw181 is out of my price range, well at least for now.

& I heard tht the ekc weren't tht much of a difference from the elx series so I don't think it's worth it
Dj lowkee 5:05 PM - 6 March, 2015
Ekx ^^^
dj_soo 10:47 PM - 6 March, 2015
i would look at the Yamaha dxr12 over the k12. I think it's abetter speaker for less money.

While the ekx may not be a huge leap over the elx, I would think the ekx sub would definitely be an improvement since the elx118 has long been considered the weakest link in the elx line.
dj_soo 10:47 PM - 6 March, 2015
That said, ekx isn't in the wild yet iirc so might want to wt for real world revoews
Joee 11:03 PM - 6 March, 2015
Quote:
i would look at the Yamaha dxr12 over the k12. I think it's abetter speaker for less money.

+1
Dj lowkee 11:08 PM - 6 March, 2015
I just checked on guitar center ...both k12 & dxr15s are 799ea
The dxr12 are 699
rayjthedj 11:49 PM - 6 March, 2015
Once again, I am a huge EV fan, but I wouldn't buy the ELX118P sub if you gave me the money. Anemic sub, it would take two of them to keep up with a QSC-KW181.

But as several people have tried to point out above, keep your tops and subs matched by brand and line if you can, they are built to work together.

If you can't afford a GOOD sub, then buy a pair of DXR15 tops and save your money for a good sub. I am playing a gig tomorrow with a pair of DXR15 tops with a single ETX15SP sub to see how well they work together. I will let you know how it goes, unless the snow shuts us down, I am in Kentucky and we got hammered.

I normally use my ETX tops with my ETX subs, but my DXR15 tops are so smooth, I just want a good long teen gig to see how the DXR15's sound with a sub added. The parents only bought the DXR15 package, they are repeat customers and good friends so I am going to through in the sub so I can test the sound.
Dj lowkee 12:00 AM - 7 March, 2015
Quote:
Once again, I am a huge EV fan, but I wouldn't buy the ELX118P sub if you gave me the money. Anemic sub, it would take two of them to keep up with a QSC-KW181.

But as several people have tried to point out above, keep your tops and subs matched by brand and line if you can, they are built to work together.

If you can't afford a GOOD sub, then buy a pair of DXR15 tops and save your money for a good sub. I am playing a gig tomorrow with a pair of DXR15 tops with a single ETX15SP sub to see how well they work together. I will let you know how it goes, unless the snow shuts us down, I am in Kentucky and we got hammered.

I normally use my ETX tops with my ETX subs, but my DXR15 tops are so smooth, I just want a good long teen gig to see how the DXR15's sound with a sub added. The parents only bought the DXR15 package, they are repeat customers and good friends so I am going to through in the sub so I can test the sound.

Ok thanks! I guess I have to take a look @ the DXR15's soon
dj_soo 5:27 AM - 7 March, 2015
another option would be to go a pair of DXR10s or DXR8s over a DXS15.

You'd have to bring the sub to every gig, but it will give you better bass than just two DXR15s on stands and still provide plenty of volume.

I own a pair of DXR10s and a pair of K12s and I prefer the sound of my DXR10s over subs than the K12s.
Dj lowkee 5:39 AM - 7 March, 2015
Quote:
another option would be to go a pair of DXR10s or DXR8s over a DXS15.

You'd have to bring the sub to every gig, but it will give you better bass than just two DXR15s on stands and still provide plenty of volume.

I own a pair of DXR10s and a pair of K12s and I prefer the sound of my DXR10s over subs than the K12s.

So your saying the dxr10s with a dxs15 are better than k12 with a kSub?:0
dj_soo 6:32 AM - 7 March, 2015
ksub sucks - avoid.

I'm saying I like the sound of the DXR10s over a sub more than K12s over the same sub.

I run a pair of Yorkville NX720Ps.
Dj lowkee 12:15 PM - 7 March, 2015
The nx720p sound like a good one for a nice price!

I'll look into the dxr10s and the sub next week for sure
rayjthedj 1:18 PM - 7 March, 2015
Yamaha DXS subs are in the same class as the EV-ELX sub, so I never recommend them. It is sad with as many really nice tops as Yamaha makes, that they have never gone hard into the sub market.

Yorkville makes some nice subs.
DJ Tecniq 1:31 PM - 7 March, 2015
Ksub isn't bad I have it myself with a pair of K 10's it can't put it halfway without it peaking. One thing is certain it can take a pounding and has never shut off on me. however the QSC KW181 hits way harder than the ksub. I've used both QSC and EV it is important to stick with 1 brand as a whole. I'd only say QSC is a better option due to their long warranty and service that's just my opinion though. They both sound nice👌
DJ Tecniq 1:32 PM - 7 March, 2015
You* can't i meant^
JDforKing 3:12 PM - 7 March, 2015
Quote:
Yamaha DXS subs are in the same class as the EV-ELX sub, so I never recommend them. It is sad with as many really nice tops as Yamaha makes, that they have never gone hard into the sub market.

Yorkville makes some nice subs.

I like my yamaha dxs12 subs. I have a pair i use on occasion (usually coupled) and they work fine for me.
rayjthedj 4:12 PM - 7 March, 2015
Please don't take me wrong, the Yamaha subs are well made and sound good for wedding type events. If I had to start back in the game on a small budget, I would have just a pair of Yamaha DXR15's, no sub, as for what they are, the DXR15's sound as good as most of my equipment.
SG SOUNDS 4:40 PM - 7 March, 2015
Quote:
Please don't take me wrong, the Yamaha subs are well made and sound good for wedding type events. If I had to start back in the game on a small budget, I would have just a pair of Yamaha DXR15's, no sub, as for what they are, the DXR15's sound as good as most of my equipment.

Totally agree the DXR15'S you dont really need subs the low end with the contour engaged sounds like you using subs....
JDforKing 5:23 PM - 7 March, 2015
Quote:

Well i had the yamaha dxr15 ( i also have a pair of dxr8s and dxr12s) and opted to get rid of my dxr15 for a yamaha dxr8 pair with a pair of yamaha dxs12s. I like the dxr8 dxs12 combo better than the yamaha dxr15 as a stand alone.
JDforKing 5:25 PM - 7 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Totally agree the DXR15'S you dont really need subs the low end with the contour engaged sounds like you using subs....

I would say this probably may hold true for something like the ev zxa5, but you can't substitute anything for a sub. I loved the yamaha dxr15 but i like the small top small sub combo better.
Dj lowkee 7:53 PM - 7 March, 2015
yamaha DXS12 vs Qsc KW181? Since the ksub "sucks"
With Qsc k12s

Orrrrrrr....Yorkville nx720
Dj lowkee 7:54 PM - 7 March, 2015
I'm buying a sub for sure. I've found out it's a necessary thing
Joee 7:57 PM - 7 March, 2015
Quote:

how much $$$ do you have total to spend... is size or weight of speakers a issue?
JDforKing 8:05 PM - 7 March, 2015
Quote:
yamaha DXS12 vs Qsc KW181? Since the ksub "sucks"
With Qsc k12s

Orrrrrrr....Yorkville nx720

You can't compare a 18 inch sub to a 12 inch sub. In this case the qsc kw181 is definitely a better sub. Most important factor when you're looking at speakers is finding the correct speaker combo for the job. Not every sub and speaker combo or stand alone speaker is right for a every job.
Dj lowkee 8:21 PM - 7 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

how much $$$ do you have total to spend... is size or weight of speakers a issue?

$1400 for a sub
Joee 8:24 PM - 7 March, 2015
Quote:
$1400 for a sub

how much for your tops? does it matter how big or heavy any of the speakers are?
Dj lowkee 8:27 PM - 7 March, 2015
I
Quote:
Quote:
$1400 for a sub

how much for your tops? does it matter how big or heavy any of the speakers are?

I want the Qsc k12s so around 1700 for tops
djattila 8:32 PM - 7 March, 2015
tops : www.guitarcenter.com^85465143042-sku^J17763@ADL4GC-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^44639487282

sub : www.sweetwater.com

you can find that sub for around 1500 to 1600 .. a little more than your budget for it but well worth it .
Joee 8:33 PM - 7 March, 2015
you have $3,100 total for a system….you can buy some good gear with that budget

you can get two k12's & one kw181 for less than your total budget….you can find the for less than there listed prices

that said you can get much better for your budget! again is size or weight a issue? are you trying to be compact with this system?
djattila 8:40 PM - 7 March, 2015
the tops i mentioned are very versatile. They are a decent box when not wanting to bring a sub. The sub i mentioned above has good frequency response and build well. They both look professional and with Yamaha's warranty you cant go wrong. They both have built in DSP so your somewhat protected but can still blow them if not ran correctly. I would say with such set up you can do an event from 250 to 300 people.
Dj lowkee 8:42 PM - 7 March, 2015
Quote:

you can get two k12's & one kw181 for less than your total budget….you can find the for less than there listed prices

that said you can get much better for your budget! again is size or weight a issue? are you trying to be compact with this system?

Where can I find for less than the listed prices??? ;o
And I'm think I'm fine with the Qsc PA system...but what are other options?
DJ Tecniq 8:51 PM - 7 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

The real question is what kinda vehicle do you drive? I have a feeling you'll be satisfied with the QSC system. The KW181 hits hard just go demo it for yourself... Chest thumping bass🔊🔊🔊🔊🔊🔊🔊
djattila 8:53 PM - 7 March, 2015
the kw181 and the JBL VRX918SP are not in the same league.
DJ Tecniq 9:00 PM - 7 March, 2015
Quote:
the kw181 and the JBL VRX918SP are not in the same league.
Sure if you wanna pay $2,000 dollars for it👍
djattila 9:01 PM - 7 March, 2015
you can find the JBL sub for around 1500 to 1600 easy on line if you know where to look
desmorider 9:08 PM - 7 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Man,
For the $3100 you can get some nice stuff. If I were you I would take a good look at the electrovoice etx line. You can get two etx12's and an etx18 for around $3000. Also a nice option for just under $3000 would be a set of rcf hd32a's and an 8003 rcf sub. That setup sounds really nice.
Joee 9:13 PM - 7 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Man,
For the $3100 you can get some nice stuff. If I were you I would take a good look at the electrovoice etx line. You can get two etx12's and an etx18 for around $3000. Also a nice option for just under $3000 would be a set of rcf hd32a's and an 8003 rcf sub. That setup sounds really nice.

+1
Al Poulin 9:32 PM - 7 March, 2015
The truth is you can get a good sounding system from many manufacturers for 3000$ these days. I own both the DXR15s as well as the DXR8s over DXS12 subs system. Of course the DXR8s over a pair of DXS12s sounds and performs better overall that the pair of DXR15s on stands, but you do have to carry/move the subs and they are quite big, so quite often, for smaller events, it is a pair of DXR15s on stands for me. I bring out the subs and DXR8 tops for bigger weddings that generally pay more $$$. Generally 150 people or less gets the DXR15s on stands while 150-250 people usually get the smaller tops over subs. In either case, covers are recommended as the DXR and DXS sub finish is very fragile. I've been using the DXR/DXS stuff since it came out and they have been issue free and sound relaly sweet and hi fi. The subs are not the best, but for 12s (and with the X-TENDED LF setting active), they produce a surprising thump that fills in the lower frequencies nicely for wedding type events. BTW, I've been told that the DXS12 outperforms the KSUB - and at a much lower price. A pair of them is all I've ever needed for my applications.

Al
Dj lowkee 9:48 PM - 7 March, 2015
I'll use the extra money updating my lighting and other accessories thanks anyway!

So Qsc k12 and kw181 sub it is! Any other nice accessories anyone recommends of Qsc?
desmorider 10:13 PM - 7 March, 2015
Quote:
I
Quote:
Quote:
$1400 for a sub

I want the Qsc k12s so around 1700 for tops

Lowkee,

Are you in the states? K12's can be had for about $700 each, and the kw181 for about $1100. Should give you some coin leftover from your $3100 budget.
DJ Tecniq 10:27 PM - 7 March, 2015
Quote:
I'll use the extra money updating my lighting and other accessories thanks anyway!

So Qsc k12 and kw181 sub it is! Any other nice accessories anyone recommends of Qsc?
what kind of vehicle do you have to transport all this? Or are you using a trailer?
Dj lowkee 10:31 PM - 7 March, 2015
700+700-1400
+1100=2,500 yeah around $600 I'll save the rest for some other stuff
Dj lowkee 10:31 PM - 7 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

what kind of vehicle do you have to transport all this? Or are you using a trailer?

I have a Nissan Titan a pickup truck
DJ DisGrace 3:55 AM - 8 March, 2015
Quote:
I'll save the rest for some other stuff

Speaker covers, speaker stands, long 14awg power cords, XLRs, dolly
DJ Tecniq 4:05 AM - 8 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I'll save the rest for some other stuff

Speaker covers, speaker stands, long 14awg power cords, XLRs, dolly
Cannot stress this enough. Get speaker covers to protect your investment as well as some nice speaker stands. I never got speaker covers and I regret it. I have a small car for transporting all my stuff and unfortunately they have gotten scratched up on the grills.😬
Dj lowkee 4:15 AM - 8 March, 2015
I'll just put the speakers in garbage bags....jk
Thts exactly what I'm going to spend the rest on
DJ Tecniq 6:27 AM - 8 March, 2015
If you're still not sure just read the reviews on the QSC KW181.. 5 stars! Boooommmmmm🔊🔊🔊🔊🔊🔊🔊🔊www.pssl.com
DJ Tecniq 6:30 AM - 8 March, 2015
Also I have the K10's there isn't a huge difference in the 12 if you wanted to save more money👍
rayjthedj 5:54 PM - 8 March, 2015
Somewhere above, in this multi-chapter post I mentioned that I was going to gig a single ETX15SP sub, matched with my Yamaha DXR15" tops in a teen environment. I finished that gig last night, below are the findings.

I set the ETX sub on live mode and used a 100 hz crossover. The DXR15 tops were set at the 100 hz crossover, and tried at both off EQ and FOH, EQ, off/dead flat sounded the best. All my gain structure was right and there was no EQ added anywhere in the gain equipment.

To balance the output for the room the DXR15 tops were set at 12 o'clock position and the ETX sub had to actually be dialed back to -6db.

The final product sounded good, but DID NOT sound as good as using the ETX10P or ETX12P tops with the sub, which makes sense as there are specific setting on both the ETX subs and tops to match each other, so their is a definite manufacturing DSP advantage.

I do feel if the DXR15 had an 80 hz crossover available (100 hz and 120 hz are all that is on the back) I could have pulled a little better sound out of the entire system, but it still probably would not beat the matched ETX components.
JDforKing 6:36 PM - 8 March, 2015
Quote:
Somewhere above, in this multi-chapter post I mentioned that I was going to gig a single ETX15SP sub, matched with my Yamaha DXR15" tops in a teen environment. I finished that gig last night, below are the findings.

I set the ETX sub on live mode and used a 100 hz crossover. The DXR15 tops were set at the 100 hz crossover, and tried at both off EQ and FOH, EQ, off/dead flat sounded the best. All my gain structure was right and there was no EQ added anywhere in the gain equipment.

To balance the output for the room the DXR15 tops were set at 12 o'clock position and the ETX sub had to actually be dialed back to -6db.

The final product sounded good, but DID NOT sound as good as using the ETX10P or ETX12P tops with the sub, which makes sense as there are specific setting on both the ETX subs and tops to match each other, so their is a definite manufacturing DSP advantage.

I do feel if the DXR15 had an 80 hz crossover available (100 hz and 120 hz are all that is on the back) I could have pulled a little better sound out of the entire system, but it still probably would not beat the matched ETX components.

So as a stand alone you like the sound of the dxr15 a little better than the etx? As a complete system the etx tops with the matching subs sound great?
rayjthedj 8:26 PM - 8 March, 2015
I like the DXR15s a lot stand alone. I only own ETX10P and 12P tops so I don't know if the ETX15P tops will beat the DXR15's, as the ETX15P was to heavy for me to consider, at that point I would just as soon use one ETX15SP sub and a pair of ETX10P tops.

When I listened to the ETX15P tops they were on poles over the ETX18SP subs (which sounded awesome), and like I said, with their weight I didn't even consider listening to them for a stand alone roll.
DJ Tecniq 11:20 AM - 9 March, 2015
Quote:

Highly recommend getting the extender pole for the Kw181. The original pole with the sub is not long enough so the speaker will not even reach crowd level. I just bought the pole extender it's awesome! Let us know what you decide to choose and post some pics of your setup :)
www.amazon.com
DJ Tecniq 11:22 AM - 9 March, 2015
^ Forgot to note the pole extender is only intended for use with the K8 and K10 models the K12 is too heavy for that pole for safety reasons. Then again I've heard others haven't had a problem using it with the K12. Just an FYI
DJ Tecniq 11:25 AM - 9 March, 2015
Also that's mainly why I got the K10 instead of the K12 I'm able to lift it higher with the pole extender connected to the original pole that comes with the sub. Or you could always just get speaker stands for the K12's. Pairing the sub with the top together really gives it more punch though IMO.
Joee 11:45 AM - 9 March, 2015
@Dj lowkee

kw181-yes

k12-no

get the yamaha dxr12 instead, there a better speaker
rayjthedj 4:09 PM - 9 March, 2015
Quote:
@Dj lowkee

kw181-yes

k12-no

get the yamaha dxr12 instead, there a better speaker

Have to agree here, even though the ETX15SP sounds better than the KW181, there is not a big enough difference to buy ETX over KW181 if you like QSC, as QSC is a top company.

The DXR tops sound better, I like the mixer section better and are more affordable than the QSC tops. The only nod I can give to the QSC tops is the finish is a little nicer, however both require covers to stay looking good.
Dj lowkee 5:44 PM - 9 March, 2015
I'll see the dxr12 soon
djattila 8:30 PM - 9 March, 2015
i posted above dxr15. For 100 bucks more you get a speaker that stand alone will hang for a small party where no sub in needed. buy once buy right. Get the drx15 instead of the drx12
Al Poulin 8:43 PM - 9 March, 2015
I love my DXR15s. They are my speaker of choice for most of my applications - which are mostly smaller weddings under 150 people. At 49lbs, they are easy to move considering a pair will handle so many applications.

Al
rayjthedj 8:45 PM - 9 March, 2015
If you buy the subs, I would buy the 12" over the 15" tops. I played this weekend with the DXR15s over ETX subs, and both my ETX10" and 12" tops sound better. Horns and vocals are much smoother and pronounced on the smaller tops.
Discobee 9:00 PM - 9 March, 2015
I read this whole thread and even I am confused as to what I should buy...lol.
rayjthedj 9:13 PM - 9 March, 2015
If you are not sure what to buy, then don't buy anything till you are sure!!!

Listen lightly to what we say, and listen heavily to the sound system you audition!!

If you can't listen to it, set up the way you want to hear it, don't buy it!

Don't make a product decision on what the specs say!

Think about second and third order effects on what you purchase, if you plan on doing this for a living or part time business. More money spent once is much less than little money spent often.

You will not have a young back and knees forever.

If you want to make a good living for a long time at this, you will need more than a system that just goes boom thud really loud for the under 30 year olds. The over 40 year olds have and will spend on average more money to spend.
Dj lowkee 9:14 PM - 9 March, 2015
Dxr15 Highs Vs qsc k12 Highs?
djattila 9:16 PM - 9 March, 2015
Quote:

drx15 hands down
Al Poulin 9:18 PM - 9 March, 2015
DXRs sound better overall and ESPECIALLY at high levels where the Ks have a reputation of breaking up. Both are really good souding and reliable speakers, though with terrific warranties and ultra flexible mixer sections. I wouldn't hesitate in using either.

Al
Dj lowkee 9:19 PM - 9 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

drx15 hands down

What sub for dxr15?
rayjthedj 9:21 PM - 9 March, 2015
I have owned both and still own the DXR15. I also agree in just the highs, the DXR15 is smoother, and stays that way pushed to limiting. The K12 gets harsh when pushed on the highs, but is much smoother across the vocals and horns when used with subs and crossed.

Don't hold anything against a speaker for not sounding it's best when pushed to it's limits, if you are there you brought the wrong rig for the gig. However, there are speakers out there that do not change anything but SPL as they are pushed, then you pop them :)
djattila 9:21 PM - 9 March, 2015
As I posted above ... The jbl sub could
Be bought for around 1500 .. A little more than your budget but a class or two higher than the qsc k181
Dj lowkee 9:25 PM - 9 March, 2015
Quote:
I have owned both and still own the DXR15. I also agree in just the highs, the DXR15 is smoother, and stays that way pushed to limiting. The K12 gets harsh when pushed on the highs, but is much smoother across the vocals and horns when used with subs and crossed.

Don't hold anything against a speaker for not sounding it's best when pushed to it's limits, if you are there you brought the wrong rig for the gig. However, there are speakers out there that do not change anything but SPL as they are pushed, then you pop them :)

So you're saying drx15s are better stand alone , but k12s are better when used with a sub?
Rather than the dxr15 with its sub?
Dj lowkee 9:25 PM - 9 March, 2015
Quote:
Be bought for around 1500 .. A little more than your budget but a class or two higher than the qsc k181

what about the dxs12?
rayjthedj 9:26 PM - 9 March, 2015
I am not a QSC KW181 hater, I had one and it sounded good. I got rid of it when I picked up all my ETX stuff. So if you like the KW181 and can get it at a good price, buy it and a set of 10" tops. If you plan on adding more KW181 subs then get a pair of 12" tops.

The JBL is a good option, along with, ETX , Yorkies and I am guessing RCF (jury is out on RCF as I can't get anyone local to put any on the shelf.
Dj lowkee 9:33 PM - 9 March, 2015
Quote:
I am not a QSC KW181 hater, I had one and it sounded good. I got rid of it when I picked up all my ETX stuff. So if you like the KW181 and can get it at a good price, buy it and a set of 10" tops. If you plan on adding more KW181 subs then get a pair of 12" tops.

The JBL is a good option, along with, ETX , Yorkies and I am guessing RCF (jury is out on RCF as I can't get anyone local to put any on the shelf.

U mean the ev etx18sp?
rayjthedj 9:35 PM - 9 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

So you're saying drx15s are better stand alone , but k12s are better when used with a sub?
Rather than the dxr15 with its sub?

If you are using a sub and crossing the tops at 100 hz, I recommend 10" or 12" tops. It is just plain physics. The woofer in the tops when crossed are not handling many frequencies in the bass range, but mostly mid range up to the internal crossover point to the horn. A smaller driver will start and stop its movement mush easier than the larger woofer, which translates to a crisper and smoother sound.

One of the best sounding passive systems I used was a pair of EV-TourX single 18" subs with a pair of EV-ZX1 90's, crossed at 100hz, the ZX1 has an 8" woofer, and handles 400 watts program power.

If you really want to hear how good your tops sound, play some different varieties of Jazz with them, or some old Earth Wind and Fire. To many people go and buy tops and all they bring is current studio generated stuff, thus they all sound the same to them, Bring a variety, something acoustical, something with horns, something with a real vocalist.
rayjthedj 9:39 PM - 9 March, 2015
The ETX18SP is a really good sub, but big and heavy for the average mobile DJ. I bought more of the ETX15SP for that reason. The ETX15SP as a single or in a pair are as much sub as any mobile DJ will need, up to the point he/she buys a large van or trailer and buys 18" or 21" subs.
Dj lowkee 9:48 PM - 9 March, 2015
I've come down to k12 with kw181s and dxr15s With a dxs12 subs
I still have to see
dj_soo 10:27 PM - 9 March, 2015
Quote:
I've come down to k12 with kw181s and dxr15s With a dxs12 subs
I still have to see

only get the DXR15s if you don't want to use a sub.

The KW181 is going to blow away the DXS12 in performance. It's an 18" vs a 12" sub. I would only pair the DXR8s or DXR10s with the DXS12 (would lean to the 8s) and I would only go that route if you want a small, compact system. It won't really give satisfactory performance for more than 100 imo.

I still recommend the DXR12s over a KW181 rather than K12s over a KW181. The only real advantage of the K12s is the finish and a more tuned crossover, but the KW181 has a built-in crossover anyway so it's pretty moot. The DXRs sound better, have a longer warranty, don't break up when hitting limit like the K12s do, and will come in at around $200 cheaper than the K12s.
Dj lowkee 10:34 PM - 9 March, 2015
I still recommend the DXR12s over a KW181 rather than K12s over a KW181. The only real advantage of the K12s is the finish and a more tuned crossover, but the KW181 has a built-in crossover anyway so it's pretty moot. The DXRs sound better, have a longer warranty, don't break up when hitting limit like the K12s do, and will come in at around $200 cheaper than the K12s.

What's the best place to buy speakers? Or website
Joee 10:43 PM - 9 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

drx15 hands down

What sub for dxr15?

the vrx sub is a good choice, also look at this for the dxr15….it can be had for $1,100 & will blow away any sub in it's price range including the kw181
yorkville.com
Dj lowkee 11:05 PM - 9 March, 2015
Would both of them work with either Qsc and dxr15s?
rayjthedj 11:20 PM - 9 March, 2015
Don't buy the DXR15 if you are only buying a DXS sub. I have said this several times, only buy the DXR15 if you need to use tops stand alone on occasions. I am a guy who loves subs and try and use them all the time, but since I bought my DXR15's I use them stand alone more than any rig I have, due to cheap customers, space restrictions, genres required for events, and head counts.

If you buy 15" tops then save your money and buy good subs. ETX18SP, ETX15SP, JBL VRX, Yorkies. I have listened to all of these I am sure there are others that qualify.

Where to you live, I ask so maybe we can get you someplace to listen to some speakers, otherwise we will all keep wasting type time and internet bandwidth :)
JDforKing 12:22 AM - 10 March, 2015
Quote:
Don't buy the DXR15 if you are only buying a DXS sub. I have said this several times, only buy the DXR15 if you need to use tops stand alone on occasions. I am a guy who loves subs and try and use them all the time, but since I bought my DXR15's I use them stand alone more than any rig I have, due to cheap customers, space restrictions, genres required for events, and head counts.

If you buy 15" tops then save your money and buy good subs. ETX18SP, ETX15SP, JBL VRX, Yorkies. I have listened to all of these I am sure there are others that qualify.

Where to you live, I ask so maybe we can get you someplace to listen to some speakers, otherwise we will all keep wasting type time and internet bandwidth :)

+1
BigWave DJ 1:25 AM - 10 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

what about the dxs12?

I have the Yamaha DXS12's with DXR 10" tops. Excellent system. For a 12" sub, it has a very crisp sound and matches very well with the 10' tops. No doubt there are more powerful/louder but if you don't need it why bother luging them around. I was actually surprised how heavy the DXS12 is.
My main system is the Yamaha DXR15's which I have used for more than 30 gigs. Small to medium venues and 100-150 people,these speakers just sound great. Once again there are many options and prices but my research led me to believe that Yamaha with a 7 year warranty and all the positive reviews cannot be beat,value wise.
I must give a shout out to Al Poulin for his excellent reviews and comments on the Yamaha line. I bought my DXS/DXR combo based on his reviews. He is totally 100% bang on.
Al Poulin 2:08 AM - 10 March, 2015
Thanks BigWave DJ, I appreciate the comments. I always try to be as honest and accurate as possible in my speaker reviews - although some folks don't always like the honesty (American Audio ELS-15A users for example).

Anyway, looks like we have almost identical Yamaha systems that we use for similar applications! Glad you like your DXRs as much as I do. Mine have been rock solid as well performance Wise, but I sure am glad I have covers for them. :-) The actual finish is peretty much their only weakness,

Al
Dj lowkee 2:37 AM - 10 March, 2015
Has anyone checked out the Qsc kw152? There are the Qsc 15"
dj_soo 3:25 AM - 10 March, 2015
I'd rather have a set of EV ETX15s, EV ZXA5s, Yamaha DSR15s, Yorkville PS15Ps, or any number of RCF 15" tops (ask Joee, I'm sure he'll tell you all about them) over the KW152s.

While the KWs are technically a class above the DXRs, I don't think they're really that much better for the price difference.

QSC gear, while dependable, are in need of an update imo. Their competition has surpassed them in terms of sound quality, features, DSP, and often come in at a lower price.

Also, since for whatever reason you seem to want to ignore the advice given I'll just reiterate what everyon has been saying - 12" tops sound better with subs (especially a single), 15" tops sound better on their own. Make your decision based on that.

Only single sub that will probably keep up with a good pair of 15" tops is the yorkville LS801P, but I still think it would sound better with a high-powered pair of 12" tops.
Dj lowkee 3:38 AM - 10 March, 2015
Quote:
I'd rather have a set of EV ETX15s, EV ZXA5s, Yamaha DSR15s, Yorkville PS15Ps, or any number of RCF 15" tops (ask Joee, I'm sure he'll tell you all about them) over the KW152s.

While the KWs are technically a class above the DXRs, I don't think they're really that much better for the price difference.

QSC gear, while dependable, are in need of an update imo. Their competition has surpassed them in terms of sound quality, features, DSP, and often come in at a lower price.

Also, since for whatever reason you seem to want to ignore the advice given I'll just reiterate what everyon has been saying - 12" tops sound better with subs (especially a single), 15" tops sound better on their own. Make your decision based on that.

Only single sub that will probably keep up with a good pair of 15" tops is the yorkville LS801P, but I still think it would sound better with a high-powered pair of 12" tops.

I never said I was going to buy them, I'm just curious. & I'm not ignoring the advice that's why I said k12s with a kw181. Or maybe I'll get the yorkville,
I was just asking.... .-.
Dj lowkee 3:41 AM - 10 March, 2015
The kw181 is not tht much cheaper than the Ls801p btw
Dj lowkee 3:45 AM - 10 March, 2015
It's actually more expensive!! Wow kw181=1399 yorkville ls801p is 1350
And the ls801p is a 1500watt sub, dang
DJ Tecniq 5:49 AM - 10 March, 2015
The Yorkville may be a pain to lug around but as long as you got a dolly it should be simple. And it has thunder bass🔊🔊🔊🔊🔊🔊🔊🔊
dj_soo 8:37 PM - 10 March, 2015
Quote:

The yorkville is massive and heavy tho. No way you can get it out of your truck solo without a ramp. In terms of output, nothing comes close, but the kw will sound better and go lower.
desmorider 8:54 PM - 10 March, 2015
Quote:
Has anyone checked out the Qsc kw152? There are the Qsc 15"

I had kw-152's, and sold them. I now have rcf art745's. No comparison.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:02 AM - 11 March, 2015
Quote:
A couple days ago I went to Guitar Center and was listening to some DXRs and some random subs, when this sales guy came up and told me I had to get the KW181 and that there was no comparison between it and anything else out there. I then asked him if he had heard of Yorkville and he told me no and that they are probably a fake brand.

What city was that?
SG SOUNDS 2:18 AM - 11 March, 2015
Quote:
A couple days ago I went to Guitar Center and was listening to some DXRs and some random subs, when this sales guy came up and told me I had to get the KW181 and that there was no comparison between it and anything else out there. I then asked him if he had heard of Yorkville and he told me no and that they are probably a fake brand.

You should of call the police when he told you he never heard of Yorkville....
Taipanic 5:51 PM - 11 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

The yorkville is massive and heavy tho. No way you can get it out of your truck solo without a ramp. In terms of output, nothing comes close, but the kw will sound better and go lower.

While I agree they are massive & heavy, I load one in and out of my Cayenne 4 times every gig by myself - even with my bad back, heart problems, and out of shape body.
pdidy 2:24 AM - 12 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

While I agree they are massive & heavy, I load one in and out of my Cayenne 4 times every gig by myself - even with my bad back, heart problems, and out of shape body.

So can I and im only 5'5 so proper lifting technique is key but i've never been happy when doing it.....lol
DJ Tecniq 5:17 AM - 12 March, 2015
Hey guys do you have any experience with the KW181. I mean is it easily transportable? How hard is it to carry? I'm aware of it being on wheels but how difficult is it to get out of vehicles?
rayjthedj 12:39 AM - 13 March, 2015
The margin on the KW181 was what he wanted to sell you. He stood to make a much better commission selling you the KW181.
DJ Tecniq 2:24 PM - 13 March, 2015
Quote:
The margin on the KW181 was what he wanted to sell you. He stood to make a much better commission selling you the KW181.
huh? I have the KSUB but I want to upgrade to the KW181
Tudor 12:00 AM - 14 March, 2015
Quote:
Hey guys do you have any experience with the KW181. I mean is it easily transportable? How hard is it to carry? I'm aware of it being on wheels but how difficult is it to get out of vehicles?

The KW181 was my favorite sub till i got the new EV etx 18sp. Anyways when it comes to transportation and portability the kw181 is very easy to move around because of its size and weight. If you are set on QSC then the kw 181 is a big step from the Ksub
DJ Reflex 6:04 PM - 15 March, 2015
Quote:
If you are set on QSC then the kw 181 is a big step from the Ksub

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Tecniq 9:51 PM - 15 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
If you are set on QSC then the kw 181 is a big step from the Ksub

Watchwww.youtube.com
Seen this video which is what makes me want to trade my ksub. The Ksub does sound okay but on certain real bassy songs it struggles and limits quickly. The kw181 is built for more bass. I think when i got the ksub the kw181 wasn't even out yet.
DJ Reflex 11:27 PM - 15 March, 2015
I have a freind who uses the Ksubs. I have a pair of the older HPR181s (predecesor to KW181). The chest pounding bass is a huge win for me, but for overall room definition, his Ksubs work well. He does weddings primarily and the low profile and weight work well for him. They sound good, but like you said, they just can't keep up with an 18' front loaded sub. They just don't move that much air!
MeDazzA 7:31 PM - 29 March, 2015
Hi there

I'm probably adding to this too late, but I had a chance this weekend to test a pair ETX-18SP subs against a pair of the JBL VRX918SP. It was an A/B test (both subs were used in the same venue, both against walls, in front of stage, and on stage. We tested both with the internal X-overs on each speaker, and also with an external one. Room was a fairly big concert room (probably about 150 capacity), and sounded pretty good (even though there weren't people in it it was relatively dead).

Have to say the ETX is beautifully built and seems fantastically well specified. It's pretty heavy to lift though (felt heavier than the VRX) and has awkward handle placement. I'd be totally happy carrying the VRX sub up a flight of stairs but wouldn't really want (although I'd manage it) to do it with the ETX.

In terms of listening, I'm sorry to say (as the JBL is much more expensive and I didn't want to spend the extra) that the ETX was outclassed. Not only did the JBL (despite the rated specs) go deeper, but it had more output (again, despite the specs) than the ETX. We also tested a single VRX against the pair of ETX bins and the ETXs still couldn't match the same level/quality. Tracks like Let It Be ((Labrinth), GDFR (Flo Rida) and Outside (Calvin Harris) sounded huge through the VRX but less impressive on the ETXs.

Don't get me wrong, the ETX was a fine sounding sub. It had a very clean, dynamic sound unlike many of the "wooly" subs out there and could be a great choice. It's just that the VRX sounded better (and louder) despite being smaller and lighter. They're what I'll be buying when I have the funds.

Cheers
Mr.Jace 7:48 PM - 29 March, 2015
Quote:
Hi there

I'm probably adding to this too late, but I had a chance this weekend to test a pair ETX-18SP subs against a pair of the JBL VRX918SP. It was an A/B test (both subs were used in the same venue, both against walls, in front of stage, and on stage. We tested both with the internal X-overs on each speaker, and also with an external one. Room was a fairly big concert room (probably about 150 capacity), and sounded pretty good (even though there weren't people in it it was relatively dead).

Have to say the ETX is beautifully built and seems fantastically well specified. It's pretty heavy to lift though (felt heavier than the VRX) and has awkward handle placement. I'd be totally happy carrying the VRX sub up a flight of stairs but wouldn't really want (although I'd manage it) to do it with the ETX.

In terms of listening, I'm sorry to say (as the JBL is much more expensive and I didn't want to spend the extra) that the ETX was outclassed. Not only did the JBL (despite the rated specs) go deeper, but it had more output (again, despite the specs) than the ETX. We also tested a single VRX against the pair of ETX bins and the ETXs still couldn't match the same level/quality. Tracks like Let It Be ((Labrinth), GDFR (Flo Rida) and Outside (Calvin Harris) sounded huge through the VRX but less impressive on the ETXs.

Don't get me wrong, the ETX was a fine sounding sub. It had a very clean, dynamic sound unlike many of the "wooly" subs out there and could be a great choice. It's just that the VRX sounded better (and louder) despite being smaller and lighter. They're what I'll be buying when I have the funds.

Cheers

Yes, i actually heard those VRX SUBS last night at my daughter's dance competition. The dj ran a total of 4 jbl vrx subs , two on each side of stage with matching array tops. Three on each side. For a large room holding about 500 people in the crowd. I was very impressed. The bass was crystal clear, tops had an excellent throw. I wish I can afford a setup like that. Now those ev etx18sp sub are nice too.
pdidy 8:37 PM - 29 March, 2015
^^^that was me....lol
desmorider 9:16 PM - 29 March, 2015
HaHa. That's what I was thinking pdidy
Mr.Jace 10:01 PM - 29 March, 2015
I was keeping it honest. Lol . My daughter has dance competitions at lease once a month and every venue, the dj every time is a different person and along with that: a different pa system. Ive seen a pair of yorkville tops alone once with no sub, i dont remember the model #, two way 15 and it was loud and somewhat impressive, ive seen 4 jbl eon 515xt with no sub and sounded horrible, then I seen a pair of elx115p with one elx118p and sounded ok, but last night with that vrx setup, yes I never heard it before until now and I was surprized. I looked up the price on those vrx speakers. It would take me 2 to 3 years to pull that money out of my bank account for what he had last night. Thats without whatever he had behind the booth. I didnt look to see what he was using. Lol. Yes, there is no bullshit with that vrx jbl line.
Joee 11:20 PM - 29 March, 2015
Quote:
a total of 4 jbl vrx subs , two on each side of stage with matching array tops. Three on each side. For

Quote:
^^^that was me....lol

let me find out you got two more tops for a total of 6? you must have sold them zxa5?
desmorider 2:43 AM - 30 March, 2015
Pdidy been keeping secrets........
pdidy 3:00 AM - 30 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
a total of 4 jbl vrx subs , two on each side of stage with matching array tops. Three on each side. For

Quote:
^^^that was me....lol

let me find out you got two more tops for a total of 6? you must have sold them zxa5?

Naa, im lyin....Dude is from New Orleans.

As loud as I love my music I really dont need more than 4 tops yet. My 4 jbl srx932lap can easily keep up with 8 vrx subs and I only have 4. But I have been considering 2 more (6 total) vrx subs so I can do a sexier stereo stack like this i26.photobucket.com per side but its a want not a need.
pdidy 3:11 AM - 30 March, 2015
Quote:

I own the VRX system so thats nice to here. I was suprised, I thought you going to choose the ETX. Ive only heard 1 other persons side by side review of the VRX vs ETX and they agreed with you.

I have demoed the ETX 18 sub solo and it is a very nice sounding sub, my only dislike is its weight because my 85lb VRX subs have truly spoiled me....lol.
DJFree 1:40 PM - 30 March, 2015
Quote:

I have demoed the ETX 18 sub solo and it is a very nice sounding sub, my only dislike is its weight because my 85lb VRX subs have truly spoiled me....lol.

I'm really thinking of adding the VRX.....but man that 145lb SRX828sp looks good....having to carry one sub in my Terrain vs two would be great (although it's a lot heavier)
pdidy 7:21 AM - 31 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I'm really thinking of adding the VRX.....but man that 145lb SRX828sp looks good....having to carry one sub in my Terrain vs two would be great (although it's a lot heavier)

Provided you never have to lift it weight is irrelevant, you just roll it where ever you have to go.
But unfortunately that's just a fantasy for most mobile DJs, we will have to lift our gear so size/weight does matter. So I can assure you that two small subs are far better to move and are more versatile than one large sub. It pretty much follows the same principles behind why mobile DJs tend to prefer individual turntable/mixer cases as opposed to coffins.
DJFree 1:33 PM - 31 March, 2015
Quote:

Provided you never have to lift it weight is irrelevant, you just roll it where ever you have to go.
But unfortunately that's just a fantasy for most mobile DJs, we will have to lift our gear so size/weight does matter. So I can assure you that two small subs are far better to move and are more versatile than one large sub. It pretty much follows the same principles behind why mobile DJs tend to prefer individual turntable/mixer cases as opposed to coffins.

So I sold my 718XLF's.....price to the side....will there be a noticeable difference in the VRX?
JDforKing 2:49 PM - 31 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

So I sold my 718XLF's.....price to the side....will there be a noticeable difference in the VRX?

I was wondering the same thing.
Joee 3:12 PM - 31 March, 2015
Quote:

two vrx's vs two xkf's? yes!!!!!!
JDforKing 3:16 PM - 31 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

How much of difference will you notice 1 for 1
DJFree 3:16 PM - 31 March, 2015
Quote:

What's a xkf? I'm talking strictly ONE 718XLF vs ONE Vrx 918sp. Would I be able to hear the difference yes or no?
DJFree 3:17 PM - 31 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How much of difference will you notice 1 for 1

Exactly!
Joee 3:27 PM - 31 March, 2015
Quote:
What's a xkf?

xlf

Quote:
I'm talking strictly ONE 718XLF vs ONE Vrx 918sp. Would I be able to hear the difference yes or no?

i don't know why i was thinking you meant two? anyway yes you will not only hear but feel a difference…..the vrx goes lower

i use to own 918sp's but have since sold them i didn't want anything over 70lbs, is a great sub, if jbl would make this one powered i would be using it instead of my rcf subs
www.jblpro.com
DJFree 3:38 PM - 31 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
What's a xkf?

xlf

Quote:
I'm talking strictly ONE 718XLF vs ONE Vrx 918sp. Would I be able to hear the difference yes or no?

i don't know why i was thinking you meant two? anyway yes you will not only hear but feel a difference…..the vrx goes lower

i use to own 918sp's but have since sold them i didn't want anything over 70lbs, is a great sub, if jbl would make this one powered i would be using it instead of my rcf subs
www.jblpro.com

Ok cool that's what I needed to hear. I'm keeping the PRX 712 tops so I want to stay JBL so VRX may be the move. The 828sp has my attention though. I always work with a roadie (friend) and I'm a pretty strong 5'6 guy lol. The only reason I sold the 718XLF's was because I wanted subs that match what the rental company has around me which are the VRX's. Don't get it twisted they're good subs....really good.
pdidy 5:05 PM - 31 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

What's a xkf? I'm talking strictly ONE 718XLF vs ONE Vrx 918sp. Would I be able to hear the difference yes or no?

Yes there is a noticeable difference.
paperkite 7:46 PM - 1 May, 2015
Quote:
trying to decide on some good powered speakers....
Jbl prx 612,615-ev elx 112p,115p or the qsc k12

Prefer not to use any subs, party's are around 100-150ppl 200 MAX

What about rcf 745 s. I have a pair and they are brilliant.
Tenor 1:01 AM - 8 June, 2015
OP, what did you ultimately end up purchasing?

I know I want to purchase 2 VRX918SP's possibly with DXR12's or 15's, but keep getting cold feet.

pdidy, even after chatting with you, I went to PAS and walked out empty handed. I think it's the tops that has me second guessing myself. I just want to make the right decision.
Joee 1:04 AM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
OP, what did you ultimately end up purchasing?

I know I want to purchase 2 VRX918SP's possibly with DXR12's or 15's, but keep getting cold feet.

pdidy, even after chatting with you, I went to PAS and walked out empty handed. I think it's the tops that has me second guessing myself. I just want to make the right decision.

if going with dxr12 or dxr15 the qsc kw181 makes a great match

if going with the vrx918sp i would step it up bit & look @ the hd32-a or art 745-a
Rebelguy 1:07 AM - 8 June, 2015
I would suggest just getting this VRX subs right now If you are sure about them. No sense getting a lesser speaker if you know what you want already.
Tenor 1:16 AM - 8 June, 2015
So the Yamahas are not a good match?
Joee 1:50 AM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
So the Yamahas are not a good match?

the dxr is a great speaker…..the vrx is in another league

a yahmaha that might be better suited for the vrx is the DSR series
usa.yamaha.com
Tenor 1:58 AM - 8 June, 2015
I may just have to follow your advice and get the qsc. The price for the VRX was a steal though. Either that or I follow Rebelguy's advice and just buy the JBLs and put them down until I'm ready for the rest.
pdidy 2:42 AM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
pdidy, even after chatting with you, I went to PAS and walked out empty handed. I think it's the tops that has me second guessing myself.

Is it really just the tops or a combination of thing ?
Tenor 2:55 AM - 8 June, 2015
The combination. I didn't really want to spend too much overall, but want two VRXs. I'm looking for loud, clean bass. I was originally going for the QSC until you and Joee recommended the JBLs, which my mind is set in now.
Tenor 2:56 AM - 8 June, 2015
*Meant to say set on.
pdidy 3:47 AM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
The combination. I didn't really want to spend too much overall, but want two VRXs. I'm looking for loud, clean bass. I was originally going for the QSC until you and Joee recommended the JBLs, which my mind is set in now.

My advise, definitely get the VRX sub. If you get the QSC you will have buyers remorse in a few month for not getting the superior sub even though the QSC is a good sub.

Now since you dont want to spend tooo much overall, save the money on the top and get the dxr12.

According to pretty much everyone, "the dxr12 beats the qsc12"........ and i've run my two k12s with 3 to 4 of my VRX sub on many occasions with no problems. In fact the 1st time I made people nauseous with my setup I was using 2 k12s and 3 VRX subs....
i26.photobucket.com
i26.photobucket.com
i26.photobucket.com

So my point is, if my qsc k12 can preform well with 3-4 VRX subs, then 2 DXR12's (which beat the k12's according to everyone) will work great as a combination with just 2 VRX subs.
Joee 11:32 AM - 8 June, 2015
i don't know what your budget for tops is i'm asumming it's $700 to $800? since those are the prices of the dxr12 & dxr15

the dsr12 list for $900 (can be found cheaper) & the hd32 can be found for $850

dxr again is a great speaker, but the two above mentioned speakers are a step above, dsr12 has a 2" compression driver & the hd32 has a 3"

but realistically the dxr12 can be had for $550, if thats your budget your going to be hard pressed to find a better top box……
Joee 12:02 PM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
@Joee Pdidy already said DXR12 can get loud enough. Alao, I've seen alot of people say the DXR sound quality is better than DSR

which is why i said

"but realistically the dxr12 can be had for $550, if thats your budget your going to be hard pressed to find a better top box……"

as far as people saying dxr sounds better, thats because of the smiley face eq vs the flat eq of the dsr ……. iv listened to both side by side
Tenor 3:46 PM - 8 June, 2015
pdidy/Joee, thanks for the advice (nice setup, pdidy). I'm going to go with the DXR/VRX combo. I can always sell the DXRs if they ever stop meeting my needs.

I pretty much set my budget to 4K. It can go higher, but it's just principle for me. I don't play out much, so it makes little to no sense for me to spend beyond that.
JDforKing 3:59 PM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
pdidy/Joee, thanks for the advice (nice setup, pdidy). I'm going to go with the DXR/VRX combo. I can always sell the DXRs if they ever stop meeting my needs.

I pretty much set my budget to 4K. It can go higher, but it's just principle for me. I don't play out much, so it makes little to no sense for me to spend beyond that.

The fact that you're spending this much and you don't play out much is impressive to me.
Joee 4:11 PM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
I can always sell the DXRs if they ever stop meeting my needs.

yes

Quote:
The fact that you're spending this much and you don't play out much is impressive to me.

+1
Tenor 6:10 PM - 8 June, 2015
I just like quality sound and equipment. People ask me if I'm for hire when I play and I don't give them a definitive answer. My occupation takes up a lot of my time. I don't like to obligate myself to anything that I'm not sure I can fulfil.
Crump 8:10 PM - 8 June, 2015
Great info on this thread, think I'm going for the DXR15's as there seems to be a consensus on them doing the job for weddings / small parties.

I'm a bit confused how you add a sub to powered speakers, surely the 2 outputs on the mixer are taken up with the speakers?

Never done my own mobile gigs before so sorry for the basic question.
Taipanic 8:13 PM - 8 June, 2015
Generally, your sub will have outputs with a high pass signal that you connect to the tops. So mixer-> sub->tops.
Pull up a few pictures of powered subs and you will see.
Joee 8:33 PM - 8 June, 2015
@ Crump

just curious how much do RCF Art 745-AS cost in the uk? & how much does a decent DYNACORD 15" cost also?
Crump 8:49 PM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
RCF Art 745-AS

Ahhhh got ya! cheers
Crump 8:50 PM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
Generally, your sub will have outputs with a high pass signal that you connect to the tops. So mixer-> sub->tops.
Pull up a few pictures of powered subs and you will see.

Ahhhh got ya! cheers
Crump 8:53 PM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
@ Crump

just curious how much do RCF Art 745-AS cost in the uk? & how much does a decent DYNACORD 15" cost also?

RCF is equal to $1,533 per speaker

Dynacord is $1,303 per speaker
Crump 9:09 PM - 8 June, 2015
RCF Art 715A MKII is same price as Yamaha DXR15 in UK

Any difference?
Joee 9:13 PM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
RCF Art 715A MKII is same price as Yamaha DXR15 in UK

i was referring to the 745 not the 715
www.rcf.it
Crump 9:46 PM - 8 June, 2015
@Joee

745 is $1,533 i the UK which is a lot more than the DXR15
Joee 9:49 PM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
@Joee

745 is $1,533 i the UK which is a lot more than the DXR15

ok, thanks just checking i believe Taipanic said rcf might be cheaper in the uk
Crump 9:57 PM - 8 June, 2015
As I say RCF Art 715A MKII is exactly the same price as Yamaha DXR15 in UK

Would a Yamaha DXS15 sub work with the DXR15's or would there be not much difference?

It costs the same as one of the DXR15's so all three would be $2,530
Joee 10:01 PM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
As I say RCF Art 715A MKII is exactly the same price as Yamaha DXR15 in UK

i haven't heard the 715 so a can't offer any advice on it

Quote:
Would a Yamaha DXS15 sub work with the DXR15's or would there be not much difference?

yes, but if you are going to get a dxs15…..i would go with the dxr12

i would go with the dxr15 if i planed on using them without a sub
Al Poulin 2:41 AM - 9 June, 2015
Quote:
@Joee Pdidy already said DXR12 can get loud enough. Alao, I've seen alot of people say the DXR sound quality is better than DSR

For playback music, I personally prefer the DXR series' voicing - which is somewhat pre-smiley eq'd a little, no doubt, but that is what most DJs would do anyway - and what sounds best to most people. I find they sound just right for the smaller events that I do.

The DSR cabs' hi frequencies are definitely more present out of the box, almost to the point of being too much in small places, but this can easily be eq'd if need be. When I reviewed the DSR112s, I found the top end clarity was sweet - but became a little much once I put up the volume, especially considering that the DSR112 doesn't produce much deepr bass - BUT take these into a venue and combine them with subs, and you have a top box that will keep up with huge high output subs without problem. The 2" voice coil HF drivers can really dish out the sweet stuff at surprising SPL, so for louder (and especially live) applications, they are a great speaker that will cut through.

The DSR112 is not a good choice stand alone IMO, but its big brother, the DSR115 is most certainly one of the loudest MI active 15s out there that can dish out the thump as well.

The DSRs are higher quality overall than DXR, and built for more demanding applications. The line-x finish, better quality / higher power handling neo transducers are paired up with higher output amplifiers - mean they can produce higher SPL and produce it loud and clear all night long.

Each line has its place. For my mostly mobile DJ applications, the DXRs are my preferred line, and even the lower priced DBRs provide surpring output and sound quality darn close to what the DXRs can provide... If were doing bigger shows and more live sound though, DSRs would certainly be in my collection.

Al
Tenor 11:02 PM - 9 July, 2015
As an update, I ended up purchasing the following:

2 Yamaha DXR12s with covers
2 QSC KW181s

I bought them from Musicians Friend during their 4th of July sale.

I'm going to test them out over the weekend.
Joee 11:08 PM - 9 July, 2015
Quote:

2 QSC KW181s

great system ,you will be extremely happy IMO
Tenor 11:22 PM - 9 July, 2015
Thanks. One thing that influenced my decision is the fact that both brands have long warranties. I also made up my mind to actually play out more often as well to recoup the money I spent.

I do have a question though. Right now, I have my DDJ-SZ and these speakers/subs. Is there any other recommended component to tweak the sound or will running it directly from my controller be sufficient?
Tudor 11:23 PM - 9 July, 2015
Quote:

2 QSC KW181s

What a great choice. You will be very happy with the purchase.
Joee 11:30 PM - 9 July, 2015
Quote:
I do have a question though. Right now, I have my DDJ-SZ and these speakers/subs. Is there any other recommended component to tweak the sound or will running it directly from my controller be sufficient?

you will be fine to run it straight from you ddj sz, the sz has great out put, a lot of people like to use a mixer www.bhphotovideo.com but it's not 100% necessary

be sure to crossover the dxr12 @ 100Hz
Tenor 11:39 PM - 9 July, 2015
Ok. Thanks.
Tenor 9:57 AM - 10 July, 2015
Quote:
@Tenor I own the Yamaha MG10 mixer which is a cheaper alternative and it works great and gives me plenty of headroom

Thanks. I'm going to try without it first over the weekend to see how it sounds and take it from there.
shane1913 12:59 AM - 21 November, 2015
How about the new bose F1 system?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:33 PM - 21 November, 2015
I recently converted from Bose L1M2 and Compact to RCF

Evox8 and evox12
www.instagram.com

a definite recommendation.
SG SOUNDS 2:41 PM - 21 November, 2015
Quote:
I recently converted from Bose L1M2 and Compact to RCF

Evox8 and evox12
www.instagram.com

a definite recommendation.

how much of a crowd size can this cover (house party)
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:58 PM - 21 November, 2015
Quote:

how much of a crowd size can this cover (house party)

what size house? McMansion?
I haven't taken these out to gigs yet, but can definitely gauge from previously owned speakers.
Evox8 up to 200+
Evox12 up to 300+
Keep in mind, I mostly played for weddings and corporate events that does not necessarily need booming bass.
Never had complaints from the Bose system, but these RCF definitely has lots of power, 1400wattsboominsystem.
Joee 4:12 PM - 21 November, 2015
Quote:
Evox8 up to 200+
Evox12 up to 300+

+1
577er 8:36 PM - 22 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Evox8 up to 200+
Evox12 up to 300+

+1

I've been using a pair of Evox 8 for about 6 months. Maybe 20 events ranging from 80 to 220 people, all weddings and corporate stuff. I'd put their useful range (without an additional sub) at 150 dancing.
jeffrie95 1:27 AM - 14 January, 2016
hey guys i was reading this whole thread i need a speaker for small family parties 100 people max. im just getting one speaker no subs, which one should i get the yamaha DXR15 or EV ELX115p?
Scully DJ Services 2:31 AM - 14 January, 2016
DXR15
Al Poulin 2:53 AM - 14 January, 2016
DXR15 or even DBR15 should be great for these types of applications.

Al
jeffrie95 4:25 AM - 14 January, 2016
thanks, for your opinions. i can get a used dxr15 for 450 from a friend and had the option to pay 60 more for the elx. but looks like the dxr15 is the best option. called sam ash but all of them say ev
Scully DJ Services 4:29 AM - 14 January, 2016
DXR IMO is better than ELX, and that is a steal of a deal.
Just1Fixxx 9:38 AM - 14 January, 2016
Quote:
DXR IMO is better than ELX, and that is a steal of a deal.

+1
DREADCOCKSMAN 12:36 PM - 29 March, 2016
Electro Voice ETX 35P vs Qsc kw153.....
which one better?
SG SOUNDS 1:47 PM - 29 March, 2016
Quote:
which one better?

ETX 35P
Mr.Jace 3:36 PM - 29 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
which one better?

ETX 35P

+1
Arjun B 7:04 PM - 29 March, 2016
Quote:
ETX 35P

+2
DREADCOCKSMAN 10:13 PM - 30 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
which one better?

ETX 35P

Thanks....
jeffrie95 4:56 PM - 16 October, 2017
I have a Yamaha DXR115 for sale in exellent condition , selling because i want the dsr115 heard is louder but more expensive. send me offers to my number 7323188985