Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato's testing enviroment

The Return of Dj Sparky 10:03 AM - 26 February, 2015
So as usual the mac vs pc debate is still ongoing as evedient from many of the posts on here, its no seceret that serato runs better on OSX especially SSL,

so I'm curious to know what serato's test computers are and spec specificly their windows based pc's, list the windows pc's that can run sdj, p'n't all the fx packs and serato video
with the lowest buffer and you don't get any dropouts

and if there are any users that can run it list the computer and spec,
if your not running the latency on the lowest don't bother posting your pc spec this is about finding the windows based computers that can run sdj flawlessly without audioable dropouts
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:04 AM - 26 February, 2015
and yes i did spell the title wrong ha ha
pdidy 8:48 PM - 26 February, 2015
I'm also interested in knowing if this Serato windows test pc truly exists.
The Return of Dj Sparky 2:31 PM - 5 March, 2015
DJ Tecniq 6:47 PM - 5 March, 2015
I'm pretty sure they do not even use pc's for testing. I have not heard of anyone running SDJ on a PC flawlessly.
pdidy 10:35 PM - 5 March, 2015
Quote:
I'm pretty sure they do not even use pc's for testing. I have not heard of anyone running SDJ on a PC flawlessly.

well there are flawless claims by untrusted new forum members and trusted forum members who all tend to be advanced PC users or techs. unfortunately these claims are never verified by large groups of users owning the same WINDOWS PC like we regularly see on mac.

My guess is the majority of their windows OS testing is done on MacBook pro's running boot camp.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 12:41 AM - 6 March, 2015
Hey guys,

We actively test everything we do on both Windows and Mac machines, every tester has one of both as well as some of our developers coding on Windows machines too. I can even take a cute wee snap of myself with my Windows beast if you like, she exists.

As for buffer settings, no not every Windows machine is going to run SDJ with all the bells and whistles going at the lowest buffer setting, but the same can be said for Mac machines too, there is no bias even if thats what you guys do percieve - we cover both equally.

Your setup needs to be in line with your specs, while not all the test machines here are able to handle the most intense configuration some of them do. We also have to bear in mind that the lowest buffer setting is not always going to provide the optimal setup for a user - if we tested on a range of highly spec'd out brand spanking new machines at the lowest buffer we might miss issues happening for users on slightly older machines running at a larger buffer and less features - we have to cast our net wide to catch as many issues as possible.

If you are having troubles and you don't get in touch with us via a help ticket we struggle to help you setup an optimal environment and log bugs that we may not be seeing in house, please get in touch if you feel like your machine should be running tighter! We are here to help.

Jas.
The Return of Dj Sparky 4:13 AM - 6 March, 2015
Thanks for the reply
But no thanks for the politician answer of completely avoiding answering the question and rambling on

Can you list the PC's and spec of the windows PC's you use for testing that run sdj perfectly without audible drop outs and lowest buffer and all add ons
pdidy 7:37 AM - 6 March, 2015
Quote:
Can you list the PC's and spec of the windows PC's you use for testing that run sdj perfectly without audible drop outs and lowest buffer and all add ons

Now you know dam well he can not answer that question specifically.....lol
sayyesdj 8:20 AM - 6 March, 2015
Hi i use SDJ 1.7.2 currently. On Pc with win7 64 bit. Spec for are: I7, 12Gb ram. I use 5ms buffer because It enough for me. Oh btw I don't have 80% bugs or problem with sdj that you guys are talking about (on Macs ox).
I have and use pnt and serato video with no bugs or USB dropouts. CPU usage is about 1%-5%.
DJ Tecniq 8:28 AM - 6 March, 2015
Quote:
Hi i use SDJ 1.7.2 currently. On Pc with win7 64 bit. Spec for are: I7, 12Gb ram. I use 5ms buffer because It enough for me. Oh btw I don't have 80% bugs or problem with sdj that you guys are talking about (on Macs ox).
I have and use pnt and serato video with no bugs or USB dropouts. CPU usage is about 1%-5%.
Interesting now here's my question. What hardware are you using with SDJ?
DJ Tecniq 8:33 AM - 6 March, 2015
Also would love to know what model pc and year it is👍
sayyesdj 10:26 AM - 6 March, 2015
DDJ SX2, before I move to SDJ I use RPM with 2x3700 and X1700. Laptop is from Jan '14 but i bought it in Jun'14. Laptop brand is Lenovo.
pdidy 3:00 PM - 6 March, 2015
Quote:
DDJ SX2, before I move to SDJ I use RPM with 2x3700 and X1700. Laptop is from Jan '14 but i bought it in Jun'14. Laptop brand is Lenovo.

its like pulling teeth. He still didn't say the model. lol
BleedR 3:08 PM - 6 March, 2015
Yes, tell us your specs of your test machines!!!
Marc Y. 4:09 PM - 8 March, 2015
NS7ii running SDJ 1.7.3 on an ASUS ROG G751J. ( 2.5 GHz Quad Core i7-4710HQ; 32GB RAM; [2]1 TB 7200RPM HDD; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M graphics with 3GB video memory and Windows 8.1).

Latency setting at minimum and screen refresh at maximum. CPU meter at 1-5%. No problems encountered yet (knock on wood). I don't use video though.
Marc Y. 4:28 PM - 8 March, 2015
PnT enabled.
RJ75 7:29 PM - 9 March, 2015
I thought I would list my specs as well:
Computer I am using:
2010 PC Laptop
Acer i3-350M (first generation)
Windows 7, 64bit
4GB
320GB
External drive I use 500GB WD Passport (USB 2.0)

My Library is about 15K tracks.
No PnT or other add-ons, only the standard FX packs.
Latency is set to 5

My Pioneer Ergo V used with Serato rarely experiences crashes/freezes. Not much of an issue. Recently I lowered the latency to 2 - see if this strains the machine.

My Numark Mixdeck has crashes/freezing 1-2 per 5 hours sessions. I have created a stripped down profile for Serato and find that has improved the situation a bit, as in it may not occur today, but may flare up the next time. My Akai LPD 8 midi can still controll the functions in Serato, but mixdeck does not respond, although sound is still continuing from its soundcard. The issue can occur while im DJ'ing or leaving it idle (with or without music playing). Random stuff.

I've sent Tech a detailed email regarding this but got the corporate response (ie try another machine).

My CPU meter is usually 15%-20%. Runs pretty smooth. Havent had audio drop outs.

My main issue with Serato is when im using it with the mixdeck, unfortunately it is my preferred machine when giging. The Ergo I like to use at home or for small gigs.

I am thinking of upgrading my Machine, but hesitant as I am nervous a new one might give me issues.

Hope this gives some insight.
pdidy 7:39 PM - 9 March, 2015
Quote:
I thought I would list my specs as well:
Computer I am using:
2010 PC Laptop
Acer i3-350M (first generation)
Windows 7, 64bit
4GB
320GB
External drive I use 500GB WD Passport (USB 2.0)

My Library is about 15K tracks.
No PnT or other add-ons, only the standard FX packs.
Latency is set to 5

My Pioneer Ergo V used with Serato rarely experiences crashes/freezes. Not much of an issue. Recently I lowered the latency to 2 - see if this strains the machine.

My Numark Mixdeck has crashes/freezing 1-2 per 5 hours sessions. I have created a stripped down profile for Serato and find that has improved the situation a bit, as in it may not occur today, but may flare up the next time. My Akai LPD 8 midi can still controll the functions in Serato, but mixdeck does not respond, although sound is still continuing from its soundcard. The issue can occur while im DJ'ing or leaving it idle (with or without music playing). Random stuff.

I've sent Tech a detailed email regarding this but got the corporate response (ie try another machine).

My CPU meter is usually 15%-20%. Runs pretty smooth. Havent had audio drop outs.

My main issue with Serato is when im using it with the mixdeck, unfortunately it is my preferred machine when giging. The Ergo I like to use at home or for small gigs.

I am thinking of upgrading my Machine, but hesitant as I am nervous a new one might give me issues.

Hope this gives some insight.

Somebody did not read the directions.....lol
RJ75 7:50 PM - 9 March, 2015
@pdidy

Thanks for your trolling input.
pdidy 8:22 PM - 9 March, 2015
Quote:
@pdidy

Thanks for your trolling input.

oh I'm sorry please proceed with your input that you were specifically asked NOT to provide because you do not qualify but since you didn't read you did it anyway.......lol.
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:31 PM - 9 March, 2015
Serato! why are you so quite on this question, I see you have no problem telling us what mac's you use as stated in various previous posts I have seen but I have never found a post when they list specs of pc machines,

The Quest Contuines...

oi57.tinypic.com
deejdave 8:32 PM - 9 March, 2015
Without trying to piss anyone off or troll anyone
Quote:
list the windows pc's that can run sdj, p'n't all the fx packs and serato video
with the lowest buffer and you don't get any dropouts

is what I am looking for as well. I understand there are individuals using SDJ barebones with raised latency buffers etc. so additional scenarios of such wouldn't help me specifically. I am tracking this thread in hopes of seeing such a scenario but thus far all posts have pretty much verified Sparky's speculation it seems.

I personally am waiting to hear from someone using SDJ at 1ms with ALL expansions using a Windows PC. Reason being is this question comes up all the time and I would love to have an answer.

I am not trying to grill anyone though so I apologize if it seems that way. I am merely attempting to explain what I translated the point of this thread to be.

@ RJ75 - While you are here would you be willing to make an attempt to run SDJ at 1 ms with expansion packs and report back as to whether it still worked with smooth waveforms, no lag, no stutter etc?

I have two PC's running Windows myself but I use them everyday so a.) I am not willing to make all the visual & convenience sacrifices required to use SDJ with windows nor do I feel they are powerful enough in the first place. They are both 2014 machines but they are certainly not the best LOL.
RJ75 8:47 PM - 9 March, 2015
@deejdave

I will try to run it at 1ms. I do not have PnT, if I can try it as a trial - then sure I'll give it a go.

In terms of everyday PC use vs dedicated Serato DJ laptop.

The laptop I listed above has two profiles:
1. my general personal use profile
- with this profile I do my graphic work (ie Creative suite - Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign).
- Use it for internet ie downloading + streaming.
- I also use Reason (for making beats and such), Cool Edit Pro (ie Adobe Audition) for recording freestyles with microphone.
- Mixed in Key to analyse my music

2. My serato profile
I only have Serato + Audacity. The appearnce/visuals run in high contrast (no transparencies).

Anti-virus + wifi is off.

When tweaking my laptop over several weeks last year I found all of the tips advanced and basic helped a bit. The biggest tip I came upon was running the 4GB Ram script for Serato. This script was for 64bit Windows users. It allowed 32 bit programs (ie Serato DJ) to access the full 4GB (or +) that your system might have. Windows limits ram to 2gb for software which 32bit.

I will try some tests with my system at 1ms.

Cheers,
deejdave 8:52 PM - 9 March, 2015
Actually the dual profile option is not a bad idea. I remember the patch you mentioned above www.maketecheasier.com if I am not mistaken. Thanks for being willing to give this a go.
DJ Fluke 613 8:59 PM - 9 March, 2015
Just to let you guys know I used a dell studio i5 4 gig ram from 2010 til 2012 with ns7 and 2012 til 2014 with ns6. I ran mostly on itch until they started supporting ns6 in sdj until winter 2014 when I sold it and got the ns72.

No issues whatsoever. Keep in mind I bare boned the PC. Windows aero disabled, no WiFi and all that. Kept bios updated with all drivers. Went online once a month for updates, did defrag every month. All that was on it was office and PDF reader with serato. 5 ms, really ran with no issues.

I ran dpc latency checker and kept optimizing until the bars in that software dropped and that's how the config stayed.

Oh ya I was on 32 bit is. Came with 64, formatted and installed 32 bit solo with barebone.
deejdave 9:46 PM - 9 March, 2015
And I take it you are now running Serato DJ at 1ms with all expansions with smooth waveforms, no lag, no stutter etc. on this Windows PC?
DJ Fluke 613 10:21 PM - 9 March, 2015
I now use a MAC. When I bought the NS7 2 in Oct 2013, SDJ didn't support Win 8 (which is what was being sold at the time). I wanted a new laptop as I was going on 4 years with the dell. The NS72 was delayed til Jan, and since I couldn't test it and didn't want to risk it, I got a MAC over Christmas (2013) as Apple had a sale.

That dell is now my back up and DMX controller software laptop. In the event that the mac fails, the dell is plugged in as it comes with me at every event. Crates and all are an exact mimic of each other and are updated at the same time (music).

You can see some pics of the old setup here : 1drv.ms

You see in some pics 2 ns7 or 2 ns6 is bc we would have 2 djs spinning at some bigger weddings.
pdidy 10:28 PM - 9 March, 2015
i THINK its oh so so cute that RJ75 actually thinks his punny lil 2010 Laptop Acer i3 can complete the challenge while those that know a thing or two about this stuff know dam well that laptop will get bitch slapped.....lol
DJ Fluke 613 10:31 PM - 9 March, 2015
oh ya I ran it on 2ms and on the mac its at 2 as well

I never tried 1, don't see a need to risk it as well you don't notice a difference. We ALL know 1 MS is intensive on the CPU so why stress yourself?

run at 2 and have a piece of mind.
RJ75 10:59 PM - 9 March, 2015
@pdidy

Honestly you still do not have anything constructive to say. The only thing cute here is you trolling the joint. You still need to grow up.
deejdave 11:11 PM - 9 March, 2015
Quote:
run at 2 and have a piece of mind.

As a whole I agree. On two of my MacBook Pro's they COULD technically run at 1ms (with PnT off etc.) but I employ this exact logic as 2ms (with Pnt, etc.) is fine for me. On my other two MacBook Pro's (The Quad Core I7's one being 2013 the other 2014) 1 ms is not much of a challenge for them at all and I only saw the CPU light on the versions of SDJ that were affected by the hyper-sensative warning light. Plainly put though I do it because I can. I am very happy with 2ms as well. 5 ms though is not sufficient for my needs and 10ms is flat out unusable.
pdidy 11:27 PM - 9 March, 2015
Quote:
@pdidy

Honestly you still do not have anything constructive to say. The only thing cute here is you trolling the joint. You still need to grow up.

oh im sorry i cant help myself, please proceed with the carnage of you laptop......lol
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:10 AM - 10 March, 2015
will we get a response today?, 1 hour 20 mins till close of business for them today.

The Quest Contuines...
oi57.tinypic.com
pdidy 3:51 AM - 10 March, 2015
They cant answer that question because people will attempt to buy that specific computer and then hold them responsible when it fails to preform as stated. (and it will fail)
BleedR 1:24 PM - 11 March, 2015
True story!
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:52 AM - 17 March, 2015
The Quest Contuines...
oi57.tinypic.com
marcA 12:19 PM - 17 March, 2015
i'm running on windows at 1ms and 60hz refresh rate
never had any problems with my windows machine
and this with NS7II and all options on...
deejdave 3:41 PM - 17 March, 2015
Do you use Pitch N Time, Serato Video, and FX packs?
marcA 4:02 PM - 17 March, 2015
@deejdave, if this was a question for me, then yes i'm running all but serato video
so i can't comment on that
but otherwise no issues on the windows front
i have to add that i'm running on a dell precision m6700 machine, so in terms of quality that one (imho) supersedes the mbp's...
deejdave 4:10 PM - 17 March, 2015
Would you be able to provide specs and a short video of the machine showing it at 1ms, & smooth waveforms running Pitch n Time and just a few scratches etc? It's not that I don't believe you but I want to see it with my own eyes and if this is the case I am officially in the market for one. They seem to be cheap enough.
marcA 4:21 PM - 17 March, 2015
oh boy me making movies :)
well i guess i can give it a try :)
what are smooth waveforms for you?
they do sometimes seem a bit jerky but i don't mind that very much
anyway i can record my screen, is that sufficient for you or do you want to see the NS7ii to?
marcA 4:24 PM - 17 March, 2015
cheap?
i've payed (without ssd's) 3000 euro's for it (it's also my work machine - not only for running SDJ)
but the new model is 6800 iirc
deejdave 5:13 PM - 17 March, 2015
LOL Didn't mean to offend. Was just surprised to see them starting out (used) on ebay for about $1,200 USD. It sounds like a beast of a machine so TRUST when I say I meant that in a good way for me :)
Quote:
oh boy me making movies :)
well i guess i can give it a try :)

The best you can. You're going out of your way here. The LAST thing I would do is criticize you for quality LOL
Quote:
what are smooth waveforms for you?
they do sometimes seem a bit jerky but i don't mind that very much

This is usually one defining difference between Mac & Windows which is why I asked. Whatever it is it is. Not gonna sit here pointing and laughing at anything.
Quote:
anyway i can record my screen, is that sufficient for you or do you want to see the NS7ii to?

NS7II unnecessary. Just screen. Try to show the 1 ms, waveforms, with PnT activated and then just do the scratch/play, scratch/play etc. for a little bit and I could not ask for anything more. I thank you for going this far already. I was actually very hopeful someone would come answering this request.
marcA 6:07 PM - 17 March, 2015
nah wasn't offended at all, i know prices in europe are quite diffferent than those in the US
i'll capture the screen later this evening, have to do some programming first (deadlines) so i'll pm you with a link on gdrive in about 3hrs
do you want 4 desks or will 2 suffice?

oh and btw, i do not have a stripped down super optimised windows (7) also, i just run the stock w7 x64
other specs:
I7-3840QM @2.8ghz
16gb mem
nvidia quadro K3000M (and a intel hd 4000) (so i'm not sure which vid card serato will use, should investigate that)
1 samsung 840 pro SSD
1 samsung 850 pro SSD
deejdave 6:12 PM - 17 March, 2015
Quote:
do you want 4 desks or will 2 suffice?

2 is fine. I find that the other 2 decks being active does not affect anything really.
And thanks for the specs. I am sure you knew that was going to come up at one point.
The Return of Dj Sparky 5:13 AM - 19 March, 2015
Serato must be using military grade PC's running Windows Guantanamo that's why they're so tight lipped on this.

The Quest Continues...
oi57.tinypic.com
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:18 AM - 19 March, 2015
Well serato responded to let me know they will not be answering this query and the generic response of make sure your system meets min specs, thanks for nothing Chad I never thought of making sure my specs were above the minimum

I guess the test PC's they use are locked in the serato "vault" along with all the sp006 vinyl
pdidy 9:14 AM - 19 March, 2015
Quote:
Well serato responded to let me know they will not be answering this query

Quote:
They cant answer that question because people will attempt to buy that specific computer and then hold them responsible when it fails to preform as stated. (and it will fail)

Can't say I'm surprised...

If you really want them to answer you gonna have to put more pressure on them and force them to answer.
DJ Tecniq 8:12 AM - 21 March, 2015
Cause they don't fuck wit youuuuuu...Ya lil stupid ass virtual dj user they ain't fuckin with youuuuuu😂
Tommy Deem 1:30 PM - 21 March, 2015
Quote:
Cause they don't fuck wit youuuuuu...Ya lil stupid ass virtual dj user they ain't fuckin with youuuuuu😂

Somebody didn't get to play with hes toys before bed time??? :D
pdidy 5:42 PM - 21 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Somebody didn't get to play with hes toys before bed time??? :D

you missed the joke Watchwww.youtube.com