Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

I sold my VCI & Itch

antonborisov 12:17 PM - 29 April, 2009
Folks.

I don't want to start flame or holy war or something. I had been SSL owner since 2004 and had used Itch until this March. But.

I need to know what do you think. I've just sold by VCI & Itch package because of the following:

1. Sound quality is ok. But it is really bad in comparison with any pro audio interface. I checked TC Konnekt, Echo Audiofire - both was literally in the next league. It just lacks of dynamic and, even worse, volume (booth master out and headphones). Probably, this is Vestax fault, anyway VCI 300 is inappropriate to use on any decent sound system.

2. Software minimalism is ok in any DVS system. But you try to build all-software DJ platform and what people want here is the new abilities to express themselves, new creative tools. You provide stripped down version of two-desk setup without even simple filter. Why should I bother and pay 800 bucks to emulate hardware setup if I have one already?

You would say "stability! go for traktor and enjoy the bugs! etc." Common, have you seen other software? Ableton, notorious Traktor? It is the whole new point of djing and they have been here for five or more years! With an Itch I got five to ten dropouts every minute and other people have other problems. Maybe it's just better to have five more features and five more bugs than nothing?

I appreciate you work Serato, and I'm looking for your future product, Ableton collaboration etc. I will probably buy your next product too.

Now I have no Itch and I no headache. It is a good marketed product, decent hardware realization, usable software. But there are other products. Serato is not a king anymore, sorry to say.

The reason for this post was this dongle: www.dj.ru WTF? You told about all-in-one package and now seems like you forgot something viable and flog me another vestax box...
djcerla 12:41 PM - 29 April, 2009
Yeah, the board is definitely under attack by hoards of NI guys :)
Nice photoshop job, though.
antonborisov 12:46 PM - 29 April, 2009
I think it's real: www.dj.ru
djcerla 12:57 PM - 29 April, 2009
Ok now everything is clear :)
djcerla 1:00 PM - 29 April, 2009
BTW I'd buy it anyday if it was true. And fixed to the VCI body in a stable way.
TJ56 1:44 PM - 29 April, 2009
is this real??? damn good photoshop if not.
Tj
corporation 1:53 PM - 29 April, 2009
I think it is real! seems to be an Effects controller for ITCH...

Here's a link to the bigger photo: www.dj.ru
TJ56 2:00 PM - 29 April, 2009
Quote:
I think it is real! seems to be an Effects controller for ITCH...

Here's a link to the bigger photo: www.dj.ru

thanks mate, i found a bigger photo just before, makes you wonder though eh? i mean if it is true then a lot of guys are gonna get excited over this unit as this is whats been asked for on numerous occasions, but, and its a BIG but, theres also an issue of cost and my own opinion is that effects should be assigned to what we already own some way, not having us shell out more cash...
sheeno 2:01 PM - 29 April, 2009
I think it looks real. I thought at first it maybe a photoshop of the vestax 280 or 580 mixer, but having looked closer, I think it could be real.
sheeno 2:03 PM - 29 April, 2009
Quote:
but, theres also an issue of cost and my own opinion is that effects should be assigned to what we already own some way, not having us shell out more cash...

I hear you on the cost thing. Especially as the price of the vci-300 has gone up to £649 now (I bought mine for £499 last year)
TJ56 2:08 PM - 29 April, 2009
Quote:
I think it looks real. I thought at first it maybe a photoshop of the vestax 280 or 580 mixer, but having looked closer, I think it could be real.

i agree it does look real, far too good for a p/shop.

PS yeah i saw the price on djstore for the VCI, it seems as if all dj equip prices have increased since the crunch, strange as you'd think they'd lower price...

Any chance serato can confirm if this unit is indeed real or fake???

PS no response from you means it is indeed true and the cats out the bag ;-)
djcerla 2:13 PM - 29 April, 2009
It should cost 100/150 euros maximum, as it's just a basic controller
TJ56 2:20 PM - 29 April, 2009
Quote:
It should cost 100/150 euros maximum, as it's just a basic controller

fat chance of that happening mate, mark my words...
what is everyone shouting out for??? EFFECTS...
Vestax know this so if this unit is indeed real then i think its a very clever but shrewd move by them.
kraal 2:26 PM - 29 April, 2009
being a photoshop retoucher and digital painter there ARE a few things that tell me it is a fake.
perspective is off. The 'control knob' relection is changinging the color of the word vestax which it should not it should just be relected in the black. buttons have no real depth
the left rubber stopper is sliding off on the inside but not on the out side
logo and markings do not follow vestax marketing and imaging layout.
TJ56 2:41 PM - 29 April, 2009
Quote:
being a photoshop retoucher and digital painter there ARE a few things that tell me it is a fake.
perspective is off. The 'control knob' relection is changinging the color of the word vestax which it should not it should just be relected in the black. buttons have no real depth
the left rubber stopper is sliding off on the inside but not on the out side
logo and markings do not follow vestax marketing and imaging layout.

it may turn out to be fake mate but if it is you gotta take your hat off to the guy who done it, even if he is an effect teasing shit head lol...
seratosnatch 3:03 PM - 29 April, 2009
whoever is hosting this info and joeg are apt to get into some serious legal complications.
Xylum 3:06 PM - 29 April, 2009
Looks a little shady, hope it's real though...
TJ56 3:10 PM - 29 April, 2009
Quote:
whoever is hosting this info and joeg are apt to get into some serious legal complications.

is this because thay have leaked info onto the net before vestax official launch ;-D
kraal 3:24 PM - 29 April, 2009
honestly the best bet is to allow midi mapping to control effects cause most dj's have some midi controller they are used to
djcerla 3:30 PM - 29 April, 2009
Let's see what the next Beta will bring... really hope it's 2.0!
sheeno 3:50 PM - 29 April, 2009
Quote:
Let's see what the next Beta will bring... really hope it's 2.0!

Doubt it. Its not reached version 1.1 yet...
djcerla 4:19 PM - 29 April, 2009
So what? Logic Pro went from 7.0.4 to 8.0.0 for example
Dj Kabrini Greens 4:34 PM - 29 April, 2009
looks photochoped to me
TJ56 7:25 PM - 29 April, 2009
Quote:
looks photochoped to me

maybe matey, just cant understand why someone would put so much time and effort into doing it? i mean what do they gain from it?
kraal 7:37 PM - 29 April, 2009
cause its fun.... there are people on other forums that do that all the time. people do it with concept cars and houses ect.
TJ56 7:50 PM - 29 April, 2009
Quote:
cause its fun.... there are people on other forums that do that all the time. people do it with concept cars and houses ect.

i can understand with cars etc, what i cant understand is the website it was shown on, i didnt do any in depth research on it but was it not a dj online store type site? like i said i didnt look into it so could be wrong plus my russian aint to good ;-D
kraal 7:57 PM - 29 April, 2009
looks like a concept spot...i think there was a talk of a virtual club ect so it seems to be a perfect site for such speculation :) my russian is actually better at hearing and speaking than writing and reading tho
TJ56 8:16 PM - 29 April, 2009
Quote:
looks like a concept spot...i think there was a talk of a virtual club ect so it seems to be a perfect site for such speculation :) my russian is actually better at hearing and speaking than writing and reading tho

well spotted comrade :)
Dj Kabrini Greens 9:30 PM - 29 April, 2009
it just wouldnt be a practical move for them to release something like that. not when there are many midi controllers out there
The Reverand 2:00 AM - 30 April, 2009
I disagree it would be very practical. Considering that Vestax could pick up a sale on every NS7, and that whilest there are many midi controllers on the market. none are a made for itch FX controller. Having a ready to rock controller appeals to me. Plus it matches. :D

IF Serato were building ITCH to be a platform with mix and match controllers from different companies so you can get the controllers that best meet your needs, a.la the NS7 and VCI-300, I think it could be awesome. I'd like to see what Vestax could do for a sampler.
Xylum 6:29 AM - 30 April, 2009
Quote:
I disagree it would be very practical. Considering that Vestax could pick up a sale on every NS7, and that whilest there are many midi controllers on the market. none are a made for itch FX controller. Having a ready to rock controller appeals to me. Plus it matches. :D

IF Serato were building ITCH to be a platform with mix and match controllers from different companies so you can get the controllers that best meet your needs, a.la the NS7 and VCI-300, I think it could be awesome. I'd like to see what Vestax could do for a sampler.

I agree. I think the smartest move for Serato (if it were planning to add fx to the controllers) would be this.
kraal 6:32 AM - 30 April, 2009
o dis agree..... i for one would not purchase another vestax or numark controller to make ITCH complete.... that would be a smack in the face to all who purchased and supported this vestax/serato/numark union
seratosnatch 6:56 AM - 30 April, 2009
I like the idea of Itch to be modular..this gives the user the choice for what they want and more space. No way The VCI-300 could have space for all of these controls.
seratosnatch 6:57 AM - 30 April, 2009
It is not real..the perspective is way off.
seratosnatch 6:58 AM - 30 April, 2009
figures a Russian hosting website.
antonborisov 8:03 AM - 30 April, 2009
This is a russian DJ community site which is tightly coupled with local Vestax dealer, djsound.ru. So I think this is real.
TJ56 8:14 AM - 30 April, 2009
Quote:
This is a russian DJ community site which is tightly coupled with local Vestax dealer, djsound.ru. So I think this is real.

Hmmmm. Very interesting anton and thanks for the input, if any further info can be dug up pal then please dont hesitate to share with the community on here.
Tj
seratosnatch 9:16 AM - 30 April, 2009
The local Vestax dealer may have some problems soon. Vestax is not some small company nor is Rane / Serato.
TJ56 9:22 AM - 30 April, 2009
Quote:
The local Vestax dealer may have some problems soon. Vestax is not some small company nor is Rane / Serato.

The way i see it is why aren't Vestax/Serato coming on and having there say? a simple "This is fake guys" would be enough to extinguish all speculation...
Come on guys pipe up...
antonborisov 11:41 AM - 30 April, 2009
Actually I'm surprised - I was sure you saw that unit somewhere. Anyway - what's on topic? Do you really satisfied by Itch?
djcerla 11:54 AM - 30 April, 2009
ITCH?

Just great for me, and I'm a former user of Final Scratch (since the first model), and Traktor. Much clearer interface, much easier to understand what's going on after 4 or 5 drinks :)

I've tested the VCI-300 soundcard in studio side by side with my Apogee DA-16X (a $3200 converter) and it just sounds great. In club it's warm and powerful. As a sound engineer I can say you're dead wrong on this. Maybe you're too hot on gains, thus causing the limiter to kick in.

HP volume is OK since 1.0.5 (overdrive set to maximum)
djcerla 12:08 PM - 30 April, 2009
Voilà!

AD-16X, DA-16X, a Neve mixer, my Virus TI, my Mac and the mighty VCI-300!
Top gear :D

idisk.mac.com
djcerla 12:08 PM - 30 April, 2009
Voilà!

AD-16X, DA-16X, a Neve mixer, my Virus TI, my Mac and the mighty VCI-300!
Top gear :D

idisk.mac.com
TJ56 12:20 PM - 30 April, 2009
Quote:
Actually I'm surprised - I was sure you saw that unit somewhere. Anyway - what's on topic? Do you really satisfied by Itch?

yeah very satisfied mate, its just a lot of fellow users are banging on the door of serato asking for effects and obviously when we saw this we all done a little sex wee in our pants haha XD
kraal 12:44 PM - 30 April, 2009
Quote:
It is not real..the perspective is way off.

exactly
antonborisov 12:44 PM - 30 April, 2009
So you set overdrive to maximum and it's sounds great for you? LOL )
TJ56 12:50 PM - 30 April, 2009
is it just me or are there 2 different conversations goin on in this thread???
i is confuuuused
djcerla 12:56 PM - 30 April, 2009
LOL what? I said HP (headphones) volume is OK, and that the VCI sound is great.

Don't twist my words pls.
Xylum 3:17 PM - 1 May, 2009
Quote:
o dis agree..... i for one would not purchase another vestax or numark controller to make ITCH complete.... that would be a smack in the face to all who purchased and supported this vestax/serato/numark union

It could be sold as an-add on or something. All I'm saying is with the VCI as it is I wouldn't know how they would implement fx, this little piece of equipment maybe solves that problem. Plus they stated since the beginning ITCH wouldn't have fx so selling it as an add-on wouldn't stain they're reputation or anything, to the contrary, they would be giving the option for those who really want it (I at least would buy it in 2 seconds lol). On the other hand, things just keep getting shadier huh, none of the Serato guys saying it's fake in 3 days. Could it be?! O.o

Staying on topic, I am extremely satisfied with my VCI-300. To the actual feel of the controller, button placement, quality, reaction time to it's program; it looks and feels awesome all the way. I'm still learning the basics and stuff but I'm certain I made the right decision on my first equipment.
kraal 3:55 PM - 1 May, 2009
if the idea of an add one for effects is in the work I would rather it be ANY midi controller of choice. i mean lots of us already have a triggerfinger a nanopad ect floating around
Xylum 4:51 PM - 1 May, 2009
Quote:
if the idea of an add one for effects is in the work I would rather it be ANY midi controller of choice. i mean lots of us already have a triggerfinger a nanopad ect floating around

Yeah your right. I just like the idea of it being officially a part of ITCH. Maybe some pluses come from it you know (like maybe recording with the implemented fx right from the program, no more hassle with other equipment other than the add-on). Don't know, either way if this does go out to the market, they should also make it compatible with others devices (triggerfingers, etc) for the sake of everyone.
Man-tk 12:27 PM - 3 May, 2009
i can't understand ..i have pioneer djm800 y i never use effects ...vci300 is a good piece or hardware with a powerfull software ...
I have 2 TT technics ...1 mixer djm800 , 2 pioneer cdj1000 , I still can say vci 300 is GOOD
TJ56 3:23 PM - 3 May, 2009
Quote:
i can't understand ..i have pioneer djm800 y i never use effects ...vci300 is a good piece or hardware with a powerfull software ...
I have 2 TT technics ...1 mixer djm800 , 2 pioneer cdj1000 , I still can say vci 300 is GOOD

Your missing the point mate, No one is saying that the 300 aint good, personally speaking i think its great and ive no doubt the rest of the vci-300 owners think this too, its just some guys would like to see some effects added (FOR FREE) we all paid a lot of cash for these units and to see something that may cost us more money obviously opens a debate.
mrddyn 4:03 PM - 3 May, 2009
Pipe up Serato dudes. Kill it or validate it.
TJ56 4:06 PM - 3 May, 2009
Quote:

+1
kraal 4:58 PM - 3 May, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

+1

i dont think anything will be said yea or nah till closer to an official release of whatever is next. cause even to put aside a rumor would involve exposing current developments and if they are not 100% solid in the development you may say never and then have to back track.
what we do know is it it currently not an option. :)
Dj Ace 6:32 AM - 5 May, 2009
yeah but...awww nevermind!!! All i can say is some of you are right...