DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How to do Hip Hop DJ?

Winstrovski 11:31 PM - 24 January, 2015
I'm a high school student, I will be the Dj with my friend on the Prom Dance, I like house music, But he said he will do House, he wants me to do Hip Hop, I have no idea about how do play Hip hop tracks, and I think it will be really hard because they have different BPM, right?
So anybody can help me out? My machine is DDJ SX2
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:32 PM - 24 January, 2015
You have to be urban. Are you from the inner city?
Winstrovski 11:34 PM - 24 January, 2015
Quote:

In fact I'm a international student
AIRX ONE 12:05 AM - 25 January, 2015
You have to dance in front of the Dj hope to catch his eye ….. maybe drinks and off to his place lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:15 AM - 25 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I don't think that's gonna help you, as you're already too worldly...

You don't have that street "edge" needed to play songs by Bobby Shmurda and Drake...
Winstrovski 12:28 AM - 25 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You don't have that street "edge" needed to play songs by Bobby Shmurda and Drake...

Maybe I need to listen DJ Khaled's track, and practice
Winstrovski 12:37 AM - 25 January, 2015
Quote:
You have to dance in front of the Dj hope to catch his eye ….. maybe drinks and off to his place lol

the dean will kick me out of the school if I do that lol
DJ Remix Detroit 12:42 AM - 25 January, 2015
Quote:
I think it will be really hard because they have different BPM, right?

smdh.... this shit is getting out of hand.
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:48 AM - 25 January, 2015
Quote:

You beat me to the joke lol
Gio Alex 5:52 PM - 25 January, 2015
Quote:
I have no idea about how do play Hip hop tracks,

You gotta put ya back into it, you can do it.
Davideon 6:46 PM - 25 January, 2015
Quote:
I'm a high school student, I will be the Dj with my friend on the Prom Dance, I like house music, But he said he will do House, he wants me to do Hip Hop, I have no idea about how do play Hip hop tracks, and I think it will be really hard because they have different BPM, right?
So anybody can help me out? My machine is DDJ SX2

It doesn't matter. Just do what ever you want and act like everything you do is the best thing like since music was created. Shades, big gold chain, some homies in the back just nodding. Make sure you loop the first 4 bars of Rappers Delight for at least 30 minutes
sumoJr 6:52 PM - 25 January, 2015
Quote:
, he wants me to do Hip Hop, I have no idea about how do play Hip hop tracks, and I think it will be really hard because they have different BPM, right?

haha this is brilliant
dont forget hip hop has lyrics too,

or if you are completely lost and need some insight how to dj hip hop for novices
soundcloud.com
sumoJr 6:52 PM - 25 January, 2015
hmm
crap.

serato.com
Antonio Essex 7:33 PM - 25 January, 2015
Just drop tracks on the 1, scream shit like "brooklyn where you at?", and only let the songs play for 15 secs.If you can get some "bomb" drops or air horn drops that will help your mixing.Make sure to use those drops every 30 secs or you won't sound like a true hip hop dj.Youtube funk flex or Cipha sounds live mixing so you can see what real hip hop djs sound like.
raedonquan 7:54 PM - 25 January, 2015
dont forget the funk flex bomb needed for any hip hop dj.... and tell the folk you grew up in the hood for cred.

hot the 100 hip hop joints and play them....

dont forget ice ice baby is a national hip hop anthem
raedonquan 8:02 PM - 25 January, 2015
Quote:
Look up Grandmaster Jay for lessons lol

i agree and approve that message
AIRX ONE 10:17 PM - 25 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

You beat me to the joke lol

LOL i just could not pass this up …. Wish you the best of luck Kid
Dj Shamann 10:43 PM - 25 January, 2015
Quote:
I will be the Dj with my friend on the Prom Dance, I like house music, But he said he will do House, he wants me to do Hip Hop

Sounds like your "friend" is afraid to bomb so he's setting you up for the fail.
Dj Shamann 10:44 PM - 25 January, 2015
If you like House music and don't know how to mix hip-Hop, don't do the gig. Let your friend flop.

In the meantime, practice Hip-Hop at home and next time a gig like this comes up you'll be prepared.
Dj Shamann 10:45 PM - 25 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I think it will be really hard because they have different BPM, right?

smdh.... this shit is getting out of hand.

No shit.
Antonio Essex 11:08 PM - 25 January, 2015
at least he called it house music and not EDM
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 11:50 PM - 25 January, 2015
Quote:
Just drop tracks on the 1, scream shit like "brooklyn where you at?", and only let the songs play for 15 secs.If you can get some "bomb" drops or air horn drops that will help your mixing.

^^^THIS! -LOL - beat me to it....
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:15 PM - 26 January, 2015
Quote:
at least he called it house music and not EDM

which makes sense considering its two different things
Winstrovski 1:55 AM - 27 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I will be the Dj with my friend on the Prom Dance, I like house music, But he said he will do House, he wants me to do Hip Hop

Sounds like your "friend" is afraid to bomb so he's setting you up for the fail.

yeah I think so, today we discussed, and I said dude I have to study for the test. He said OK that's fine I'm not gonna do hip hop now. WTF? That guy is so mean, nobody force him to do hip hop! I wanna break with him
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:23 PM - 27 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yeah I think so, today we discussed, and I said dude I have to study for the test. He said OK that's fine I'm not gonna do hip hop now. WTF? That guy is so mean, nobody force him to do hip hop! I wanna break up with him

How long have you to been dating?
DJ Remy USA 7:25 PM - 27 January, 2015
Quote:

Johnny no he doesnt have to be urban what does that mean anyways. Plenty of guys spinning hiphop you should go to Toronto and see the upscale hiphop clubs that have zero hood/urban/inner city people attending and they love hiphop and have no inner city affiliation just saying.
DJ Remy USA 7:26 PM - 27 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

you are not being serious are you JM?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:11 PM - 27 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

you are not being serious are you JM?

Your sarcasm meter must be in the shop today....
DJ Remy USA 12:41 AM - 28 January, 2015
oh uh yea ok then I was starting to wonder. Carry on gentlemen carry on