Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

New Laptop Any suggestions?

GusGomez 8:55 PM - 7 January, 2015
Okay I want to purchase a new laptop just for DJing and nothing else, I wont be going online on it I wont be doing anything else just use it for DJing, With that said I was thinking about getting a gaming laptop because i felt like i get more for my $ than I would with a Macbook Pro. I'm considering the HP Omen but its a bit pricey ($1,829) and I wanted to ask my fellow DJ's what are your opinions on what I should get and what specs?
BTW the HP Omen I want comes with
2.5GHz fourth-generation Intel Core i7-4710HQ quad-core processor
8GB DDR3L 1600MHz RAM
256GB solid-state drive
Four USB 3.0 ports
AMO (Sonicbreaks UK) 8:36 PM - 11 January, 2015
If you definitely want a PC and not mac then be prepared for a lot of hassle with settings and disabling of windows items.
I went through a lot of issues with my laptop but when I upgraded to Macbook Pro my problems disappeared.
Yes it is possible to set a windows based laptop up to run SDJ in a satisfactory way but it will not be plain sailing.
Your specs above are almost the same as my late 2013 15" macbook retina and I have had no issues since taking the plunge.
My previous set up was Sony Vaio E series i5 processor 8gb memory.
Stability is key for me and I would recommend Macbook Pro above PC.
Others may disagree but this is my opinion from my experience.
blackavenger 11:14 PM - 11 January, 2015
That Omen is badass!! Whether it will be good for SeratoDJ is another thing, however. I say it all the time to friends. My desktop PC is a behemoth of power over my Macbook Pro, and yet the Mac w' it's inferior specifications runs SeratoDJ MUCH better.
pdidy 12:07 AM - 12 January, 2015
Quote:
With that said I was thinking about getting a gaming laptop because i felt like i get more for my $ than I would with a Macbook Pro.

You must be new here so let me put you on to a very important fact that many of us experienced users have known for many years.........

Its the operating system of the Mac NOT the Big power at a cheaper price in the Windows PC that allows for the superior performance. Now once you understand this concept you will understand the flaw in your thinking.

That being said I say get the windows pc and let us know how it works out for you.
Culprit 12:58 AM - 12 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
With that said I was thinking about getting a gaming laptop because i felt like i get more for my $ than I would with a Macbook Pro.

You must be new here so let me put you on to a very important fact that many of us experienced users have known for many years.........

Its the operating system of the Mac NOT the Big power at a cheaper price in the Windows PC that allows for the superior performance. Now once you understand this concept you will understand the flaw in your thinking.

That being said I say get the windows pc and let us know how it works out for you.

I would also suggest going the macbook pro route as well. Any refurbished 2010+ should be more than sufficient for scratch live / serato dj. Of course the latest would be recommended but you dont really need that much computing power to process effects and mp3's. If your going to do some video mixing, then start with a 2012+ macbook pro or similar.

There has been a ton of advancements in serato dj and serato video, so a regular pc is not out of the question, its just not as recommended as the macbook pro is.
DJ Master T 3:23 PM - 12 January, 2015
As a PC Hardware geek, anti-Mac-OS, go for a Macbook Pro. OS-X is the Way to go.
A.G. 4:26 PM - 12 January, 2015
much like DJ Master T, I'm avid anti-mac person and Microsoft certified...and I hate to say I'm looking at a mac...i've tried to tweak three ways to Sunday and still getting issues with my quad core i-7 hp envy dv7 with 8gb of ram win 8.1. As pdidy states its not the power of the cpu its the operating system thats at play. I'm about to dual boot my machine with Windows 7 to see how that goes..if that fails...I will be forced to go Macbook pro..I can't afford to have hiccups at the few events I get. just food for thought on somewhere who's where you may end up.
deejdave 6:15 PM - 12 January, 2015
Just to add a little insight here the hardware itself plays a part as well but not on a lb. per lb. basis. In other words it is not the power or spec's as a whole that are "off" with Windows PC's it is the HUGE amount of variables in chipsets, configurations, HDD,s, RAM, CPU's etc. When dealing with Mac's a software developer does R&D based around a Mac's configuration and searching high and low there will most often not be that many variables from A to Z. When dealing with Windows based PC's you will have multiple processor manufacturer's & models. You will have multiple video card manufacturer's. You will have multiple HDD, RAM, USB controller, wifi adapter, etc, the list goes on.

I'm not trying to sit her and make excuses for anyone because Traktor, Virtual DJ, etc. all run on Windows just fine. If Serato is your weapon of choice you will encounter less headaches & troubleshooting (which STILL do NOT guarantee as good of an experience) with Mac's. Again NOT saying it is the way it should be but am absolutely saying it is the way it is.

When someone HAS a Windows PC the best approach is to try and help them get where they need to be as easy & quickly as possible. When someone is asking which way to go in terms of purchase it is best to try and avoid these issues altogether IMO.
DJ Aaron_SA 6:30 PM - 12 January, 2015
Serato was developed for Mac. Windows as an after-thought. Hope that helps with ur choice.
Culprit 6:36 PM - 12 January, 2015
Quote:
Serato was developed for Mac. Windows as an after-thought. Hope that helps with ur choice.

I don't think this info is accurate
pdidy 7:31 PM - 12 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not saying the statement is 100% accurate but I am curious as to what you think is inaccurate ?
DJ Tracy G. 7:40 PM - 12 January, 2015
I'm on PC and am a Windows geek currently running Win7/64

I could not run well even on old ScratchLive right out of the box. There were quite a few tweaks performed to get it to run on and Windows from XP forward. With that being said, I hope I don't jinx myself when I say I've never crashed during performance -- not even once.

There are some real limitations on Windows since SDJ is a 32-bit application. You can get it to a place of stability though is Windows is your preference.

I'm about to move heavily into video this year and will end up running Mac in performance.
Culprit 8:36 PM - 12 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not saying the statement is 100% accurate but I am curious as to what you think is inaccurate ?

I believe the scratch live dedicated version was developed on a windows machine first. That's what I was told before I started using the software, which is why I purchased my alienware machine. I believe video sl was developed for mac for sure.
Kirin 1:19 AM - 13 January, 2015
Would a recent macbook air be powerful enough (and stable enough) to run serato DJ solidly? (including video)

I'm a windows user, but after reading this thread, I'm wondering if I might need to try to get a mac dedicated to SDJ...
pdidy 2:16 AM - 13 January, 2015
Quote:
Would a recent macbook air be powerful enough (and stable enough) to run serato DJ solidly? (including video)

I'm a windows user, but after reading this thread, I'm wondering if I might need to try to get a mac dedicated to SDJ...

The answer depends on your level of seriousness and professionalism in regards to video djing. The pro video dj would say NO the MBA is NOT good enough, their professional standard is Macbook pro 15" with dedicated graphics card.
Culprit 3:15 AM - 13 January, 2015
I dj'd with Cokee from power 106 in pasadena a month ago and he was rocking that 11" macbook air. Not video mixing or huge libraries, but it looked solid.
pdidy 3:25 AM - 13 January, 2015
Quote:
I dj'd with Cokee from power 106 in pasadena a month ago and he was rocking that 11" macbook air. Not video mixing or huge libraries, but it looked solid.

the 2011 macbook air is currently my main mac so i know its solid and im not biased against it but i stay in my lane an keep it sticky music. If i were to decide to do video seriously things would change accordingly.
Kirin 6:34 AM - 13 January, 2015
The dedicated video card point makes sense if wanting to do video mixing. Thanks for the advice.
I'll see how things go with my windows machine first. I'd much rather not have to get a mac to be honest.
Mike Butler 8:34 AM - 13 January, 2015
Just to balance things a little from a personal point of view - I bought an HP Envy 17" i7 laptop and it's been solid with Serato and Traktor although I'm not doing video. Running Windows 8.1 out of the box, no particular tweaks apart from setting it to give priority to background tasks and disabling all power saving stuff when it's on mains power. Never had a glitch or dropout, and I'm really thinking I should stop talking now before I jinx everything and things start to go wrong lol

Mike
Kirin 9:33 AM - 13 January, 2015
Good to know. Thanks.
Felonyruckus 1:33 PM - 13 January, 2015
Serato was definitely programmed on Mac SL, Serato Video, Itch, and SDJ and just ported to be used on Windows.

A Windows computer CAN definitely work with some work. Ultimately using a Mac literally is plug and play. I was a dedicated PC user until I started using Scratch Live and had nothing but trouble, I talked to my buddy who was using a Mac and he said it was plug and play. Honestly I didn't believe him but, jumped into anyway and I haven't looked back since. Its not about the components that make a Mac better, it's the OS.

If you want to do video, definitely look into a Mac because the more serious you get about it you can move onto MixEmergency which is strictly Mac only.
olko 4:33 PM - 27 August, 2016
Quote:

My Mac with 1.6 GHz(Turbo up to 2.7 GHz) Intel i5 (netbookreview.net) is good for Serato DJ, even much stable than windows
Tommy Deem 12:00 PM - 16 February, 2017
We are looking Dj laptop, not gaming laptop :P Those two are different.
Tommy Deem 12:01 PM - 16 February, 2017
mid 2011 macbook pros up today are good, some of them needs updates but u are good after that.
Mike Butler 8:36 AM - 17 February, 2017
I've used an HP Envy laptop for a couple of years now. 17" screen, i7, 12G RAM and two internal drives so loads of space. Was pretty much plug and play, didn't need to do any optimisations to get Serato to work. Also has illuminated keys which are great in a dark venue.

Mike
Tommy Deem 9:53 AM - 17 February, 2017
Illuminated keyboard is must thing.
Dj Maze1er 12:39 AM - 21 February, 2017
I have a suggestion don't get or use serato straight garbage
Ragman 12:57 AM - 21 February, 2017
Quote:
I've used an HP Envy laptop for a couple of years now. 17" screen, i7, 12G RAM and two internal drives so loads of space. Was pretty much plug and play, didn't need to do any optimisations to get Serato to work. Also has illuminated keys which are great in a dark venue.

Mike

I have the same and that laptop is seriously awesome. Mine have 16GB RAM with 2 internal drives (4TB total). SDJ has never even hiccuped on this machine. One of my better purchases over the years.