Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

moving crates???

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
DJ C-4 3:19 AM - 20 April, 2009
i'm trying to transfer my crates from my pc to my macbook pro thru an external hard drive, but i'm having trouble with the serato on my mac not finding the crates. the folder i put the crates in doesn't show the files when i click on the import tab... can someone please explain how to do this i'm running 1.8.3 on both.....thanks
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:13 PM - 20 April, 2009
Hello C-4,

Here are directions on how to move your library from one internal to another:

There are a few steps to this process. First is to move your music from your old computer to the new one. Next is to move the ScratchLIVE folder from the 'My Music' folder (PC) or 'Music' folder (Mac) to the same location on the new computer. Last is to use the relocate lost files feature to calculate the location of the files on the new computer.

Step 1: Move your music library.

This pretty self explanatory. Copy your files to an external drive or put them on a cd/dvd to transport the files from the old computer to the next.
Place the files on your new computer wherever your wanting them to live.

Step 2: Move the ScratchLIVE folder.

Like I stated above, move the ScratchLIVE folder from the 'My Music' folder (PC) or 'Music' folder (Mac) to the same location on the new computer. If you already have a ScratchLIVE folder on the new computer than replace it with this one.

Step 3: Use the 'Relocate lost files' feature to have SSL find the files on your new drive.

1. Open SSL.

2. Go to the 'setup' screen.

3. Click on the 'Library' tab.

4. Click on 'relocate lost files'.

That will find the location of the files on your drive and you should be good to go!
DJ C-4 5:44 PM - 21 April, 2009
thanks zach but i'm still having a problem. the crates are there but the songs in the crates all say file not found. i tried the relocate lost files and that didn't work. let get explain my situation again. i have a pc laptop that my serato is reading all the files from itunes on that laptop. now i want to move my crates from the pc to my new macbook pro but want serato to read the music from an external hard drive. i copied all my music from the pc onto the exertnal hard drive and did what you said with replacing the serato folder. now my serato reads all my music after i imported it. but the song list in all the crates say file not found.....is there something i can do or do i have to replace each song in the crate with the song serato is reading??
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:43 PM - 21 April, 2009
Are you trying to transfer and read playlists or crates?
DJ C-4 12:24 AM - 22 April, 2009
not sure what mean by read playlist, but what i wanted to do is transfer all my crates with the songs in them over to my mac, which i did thanks to you, now the crates show up with the songs in them but the songs are all in pink which means file not found. i tried the relocate lost files but it didnt work. now all the songs are imported into the serato, but say for instance if i type a song title 2 results come up, one that plays and one that doesn't and the one that doesn't is the one in the crate i transfered over. do i have to swap all the songs in the crates? or is there another way to get the songs to play
Rane, Support
Zach S 3:25 PM - 22 April, 2009
Ok.. I think I know what's going on.

It sounds like SSL is still reading files from your internal drive. That would
make sense as to why the relocate lost files feature isn't working for you.

Try shutting down SSL and renaming the ScratchLIVE folder located in your music folder on your internal drive to "ScratchLIVEold".

Note: Once everything is located off of your external you can then delete the new ScratchLIVE folder in your music folder and rename the ScratchLIVEold folder back to its original ScratchLIVE name to get your files from your internal drive to show back up.
Once renamed, open SSL and you should only see the pink files coming from your external.
If so, try to then use the relocate lost files feature.
DJ C-4 3:43 PM - 22 April, 2009
Quote:

Note: Once everything is located off of your external you can then delete the new ScratchLIVE folder in your music folder and rename the ScratchLIVEold folder back to its original ScratchLIVE name to get your files from your internal drive to show back up.
Once renamed, open SSL and you should only see the pink files coming from your external.
If so, try to then use the relocate lost files feature.

can you explain what i'm exactly doing after i switch the folder to scatchliveold. am i importing everything again off my external? and is there gonna be another scratchlive folder created....i'm alittle confused
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:42 PM - 22 April, 2009
If your importing everything again from your external then I'm going to assume your willing to start from scratch?

If so, I would delete the ScratchLIVE folder from your internal drive and the _ScratchLIVE_ folder from your external drive.

This will leave you with an empty SSL.
From there import all your music and rebuild your crates.
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:43 PM - 22 April, 2009
No.. your not reimporting everything again.

Your renaming the ScratchLIVE folder on your internal drive so SSL doesn't read it.

After its renamed, open SSL and you will only see files coming from your external drive.

Now press the relocate lost files tab.
1:10 AM, 2 Aug 2010
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.